Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Medical Conditions NEED HELP (SERIOUS INSOMNIA), PLEASE HELP

views

TSchaos95
post Mar 29 2016, 12:35 AM, updated 8y ago

3 posts

Hi guys, I am asking a question on my girl friend current situation.
So before the detail of the problem, for your information my girl friend having normal insomnia and PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome ).

The problem start on December 2015, she started to unable to sleep for the whole night or sometime just a few hours, and starting we though that it was normal insomnia so dint take it that serious. But soon the problem getting more serious, the situation dragged to around 1/2 weeks and we started to worry about it, by the mean time she also find out that her menstruation was late for a month, so we go seek for help from normal doctor, doctor assume that it might be because of the hormone affect all those problem, and given her the medicine to force the menstruation. Soon after taking the pills, the menstruation settled but the problem of sleeping is still going on for around a month, and because of the sleepless night caused her to have anxiety, so we plan to seek help from psychiatry, what the result we get was only saying that she having too much of pressure on her lifestyle and so on, but actually she had none of those pressure, and the psychiatry gave some medicine that can help to sleep and also control the anxiety but not sleeping pill. With the help of the medicine she managed to get 8 hours of sleeping time, which ease the situation. Sadly the situation dint really going well, as time past the effect of medicine started to be unstable sometime it do function but sometime it does not. Then until now she carry on with the medicine that help to sleep, but due to financial difficulty she had decide to try reduce the amount of medicine at the same time don't wish to be too depend on he medicine and able to recover as normal, so she decide to reduce the amount of medicine time by time, initially was 2 pill reduce to 1 and half of it and the effect still working well as she manage to sleep for 2 to 3 hours wake up little while and manage to sleep back, but as the amount reduced time by time the effect started to be weaken, now she taking 4/5 of the pill and she only manage to sleep for 2 hours and unable to sleep back, while just waking up and lying there until morning.

So this problem was struggling her for 6 months, so I posted here hope that anyone that had experience or solution of it that might help my girl friend on her situation.

Thank you very much

Pill given by the psychiatry:
-Luvox
-Rivotril
-Ketipinor
Ramjade
post Mar 29 2016, 03:20 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(chaos95 @ Mar 29 2016, 12:35 AM)
Hi guys, I am asking a question on my girl friend current situation.
So before the detail of the problem, for your information my girl friend having normal insomnia and PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome ).

The problem start on December 2015, she started to unable to sleep for the whole night or sometime just a few hours, and starting we though that it was normal insomnia so dint take it that serious. But soon the problem getting more serious, the situation dragged to around 1/2 weeks and we started to worry about it, by the mean time she also find out that her menstruation was late for a month, so we go seek for help from normal doctor, doctor assume that it might be because of the hormone affect all those problem, and given her the medicine to force the menstruation. Soon after taking the pills, the menstruation settled but the problem of sleeping is still going on for around a month, and because of the sleepless night caused her to have anxiety, so we plan to seek help from psychiatry, what the result we get was only saying that she having too much of pressure on her lifestyle and so on, but actually she had none of those pressure, and the psychiatry gave some medicine that can help to sleep and also control the anxiety but not sleeping pill. With the help of the medicine she managed to get 8 hours of sleeping time, which ease the situation. Sadly the situation dint really going well, as time past the effect of medicine started to be unstable sometime it do function but sometime it does not. Then until now she carry on with the medicine that help to sleep, but due to financial difficulty she had decide to try reduce the amount of medicine at the same time don't wish to be too depend on he medicine and able to recover as normal, so she decide to reduce the amount of medicine time by time, initially was 2 pill reduce to 1 and half of it and the effect still working well as she manage to sleep for 2 to 3 hours wake up little while and manage to sleep back, but as the amount reduced time by time the effect started to be weaken, now she taking 4/5 of the pill and she only manage to sleep for 2 hours and unable to sleep back, while just waking up and lying there until morning.

So this problem was struggling her for 6 months, so I posted here hope that anyone that had experience or solution of it that might help my girl friend on her situation.

Thank you very much
Pill given by the psychiatry:
-Luvox
-Rivotril
-Ketipinor
First can always try simple things. Drink a glass of warm milk (milk powder, fresh cow milk - get from indian seller - if they still exist) + raw honey (don't get supermarket honey) before sleeping. Raw honey can be from normal pasar. However having tasted those "malaysian raw honey" vs US raw honey, US raw honey tasted so much better.

Second, turn off all lights. Make environment really dark. Use eyepad if really necessary. Can get them from daiso.

Third, find a sound (white noise) your GF can relax. Just google on youtube and see which one she like. I recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2eGVt6v2o. Can be sound of waves, rain, waterfall, forest. Download the video, use VLC and continuous playback. Make sure the screen remains off so that it will still be dark.

Fourth, try meditation. It might be sensitive if you are not a Buddhist. However I have seen Christian people coming to learn meditation. Meditation is not purely for Buddhist. Is open for everyone like how yoga, exercise is. There are 2 types. I recommend metta meditation. Metta meditation is easier to do and easier to fall asleep. Speak with a proper Buddhist monk (not those Chinese temple monks)regarding a proper metta mediation.

Fifth, you can try certain supplements. Japanese matcha with the warm milk and honey is good choice. Matcha have been shown to relax oneself. Japanese monks drink matcha before meditation. Japanese matcha is not normal Japanese green tea. Is more expensive than normal Japanese green tea.
Melatonin - a hormone produced in the brain’s pineal gland) can help induce sleep. However cannot take long term or else effect will diminish.
Valerian Root - Valerian is well known for its sedative qualities and its ability to relax the central nervous system and the smooth muscle groups. It has been used as a sleeping aid for hundreds of years especially when there is excitation or difficulty in falling to sleep due to nervousness.
Rhodiola rosea - a adaptogen. Helps the body to deal with stress. Certain dosage will cause sleepniess. Certain dosage will cause a person to become energetic.
Chamomile tea - Chamomile has been used for centuries in teas as a mild, relaxing sleep aid
5-HTP - a precursor a tryptophan - is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan. That's why drink warm milk cause it contain tryptophan.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Mar 29 2016, 08:48 AM
SUSslimey
post Mar 29 2016, 04:19 AM

6,914 posts

Need to reevaluate the whole lifestyle to find the root cause.

Medication and supplements are not a long term solution.
Noryume
post Mar 29 2016, 04:27 AM

Enthusiast
864 posts

Did she sleep at office?
GameFr3ak
post Mar 29 2016, 07:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,847 posts

I can chime in on this. I personally have this problem for many months. While it's easy to say that we don't have any stress/stressful problems in our life. A lot of these problems are not always obvious to us. For me, it's as simply as worrying about not be able to sleep.

Also, there's no 'normal' insomnia. Not being able to sleep is not normal. Lack of sleep will create a vicious cycle.

Lack of sleep > Stress (worried about not being able to sleep) > Anxiety (became worse) > Lack of sleep

Try to figure out what form of problems that she's going through in her life. If there's REALLY NONE. Then she need to seek specialized doctor. Try find doctors that are specialized in sleep.

Things that worked for me or I tried

1. Vitamin D3
2. Melatonin (though I double the dose and may or may not work sometime)
3. Avoid eating 2-3 hours before bed
4. Shower when it's time to sleep.
5. Dim all lights around her. Especially phones and monitors. If she REALLY need to look at those device. Download Twilight app for her phone and Flux for her computer.
6. Exercise. (Though this technically didn't work for me as I lift weights and weight lifting is a form of stress if rest is insufficient)
7. White noise, it depends from person to person. For me, any form of distraction is not good as I'll be focused on the distraction... wide awake
8. The best solution for me, alcohol. I happened to have a lot of whiskey at my disposal, so I tried. And it works wonder. Alcohol fogs your mind from all those troubling thoughts. I don't recommend downing a lot, I usually just pour a very small amount + ice and sips slowly.

Also, if her job is quite demanding or relatively busy, have her to take a few days off and go to a place where she can relax.

This post has been edited by GameFr3ak: Mar 29 2016, 07:30 AM
Ramjade
post Mar 29 2016, 08:46 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ Mar 29 2016, 04:19 AM)

Sometimes you just need to reboot the biologic clock system. Force it to restart. Get a few days good sleep, the biologic clock should kick back in.
nizamnaijo
post Mar 29 2016, 09:49 AM

2 posts

try use Firmax3, it will help u.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoi3xEG5o4
gugukrez
post Mar 29 2016, 10:13 AM

Enthusiast
939 posts

Try after work go for hiking (Gasing Hill/Wawasan) (if u work till 4-5pm)

If finish at 6pm.. Maybe can go nearby job ( heavy.. run of life)..

That how i disable the insomnia on me..
ripplezone
post Mar 29 2016, 10:28 AM

Getting Started
275 posts

Seeing medical professionals. Check.

Trying to get enough sleep. Check.

Regular exercise?

Regular sleep timing (e.g. before 11pm everyday)?

Healthy diet?

Blackout curtains, noise insulation, and lower room temperature?
noircharacter
post Mar 29 2016, 10:30 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

I thought pills (to induce sleeping) are only given to persons suffering from mental illness? I suffered from insomnia back in 2011, tried getting sleeping pills from my doctor and he can't prescribe me due to the reasoning I have mentioned.
YaHui
post Mar 29 2016, 04:49 PM

15 posts

QUOTE(noircharacter @ Mar 29 2016, 10:30 AM)
I thought pills (to induce sleeping) are only given to persons suffering from mental illness? I suffered from insomnia back in 2011, tried getting sleeping pills from my doctor and he can't prescribe me due to the reasoning I have mentioned.
Dominican pills are readily available at all pharmacies, there's no need for prescription from the doctor.
Best is still getting from a doctor, because u don't know how is the dosage like ... wink.gif
noircharacter
post Mar 29 2016, 05:30 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(YaHui @ Mar 29 2016, 04:49 PM)
Dominican pills are readily available at all pharmacies, there's no need for prescription from the doctor.
Best is still getting from a doctor, because u don't know how is the dosage like ... wink.gif
Thanks for the info icon_rolleyes.gif
TSchaos95
post Mar 30 2016, 01:02 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(ripplezone @ Mar 29 2016, 10:28 AM)

Regular exercise?

Healthy diet?

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Mar 29 2016, 03:20 AM)
First can always try simple things. Drink a glass of warm milk (milk powder, fresh cow milk - get from indian seller - if they still exist) + raw honey (don't get supermarket honey) before sleeping. Raw honey can be from normal pasar. However having tasted those "malaysian raw honey" vs US raw honey, US raw honey tasted so much better.

Second, turn off all lights. Make environment really dark. Use eyepad if really necessary. Can get them from daiso.

Third, find a sound (white noise) your GF can relax. Just google on youtube and see which one she like. I recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2eGVt6v2o. Can be sound of waves, rain, waterfall, forest. Download the video, use VLC and continuous playback. Make sure the screen remains off so that it will still be dark.

Fourth, try meditation. It might be sensitive if you are not a Buddhist. However I have seen Christian people coming to learn meditation. Meditation is not purely for Buddhist. Is open for everyone like how yoga, exercise is. There are 2 types. I recommend metta meditation. Metta meditation is easier to do and easier to fall asleep. Speak with a proper Buddhist monk (not those Chinese temple monks)regarding a proper metta mediation.

Fifth, you can try certain supplements. Japanese matcha with the warm milk and honey is good choice. Matcha have been shown to relax oneself. Japanese monks drink matcha before meditation. Japanese matcha is not normal Japanese green tea. Is more expensive than normal Japanese green tea.
Melatonin - a hormone produced in the brain’s pineal gland) can help induce sleep. However cannot take long term or else effect will diminish.
Valerian Root - Valerian is well known for its sedative qualities and its ability to relax the central nervous system and the smooth muscle groups. It has been used as a sleeping aid for hundreds of years especially when there is excitation or difficulty in falling to sleep due to nervousness.
Rhodiola rosea - a adaptogen. Helps the body to deal with stress. Certain dosage will cause sleepniess. Certain dosage will cause a person to become energetic.
Chamomile tea - Chamomile has been used for centuries in teas as a mild, relaxing sleep aid
5-HTP - a precursor a tryptophan -  is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan. That's why drink warm milk cause it contain tryptophan.

Hope this helps. smile.gif
She tried on those first forth of the steps but not working for her, I will try suggest her on the 5th step smile.gif
Thank you very much and for the message too.

QUOTE(slimey @ Mar 29 2016, 04:19 AM)

The lifestyle now should be normal, go for classes from morning till afternoon and back after that, sleep around 10pm.
True, trying to find the root cause now.

QUOTE(GameFr3ak @ Mar 29 2016, 07:30 AM)
I can chime in on this. I personally have this problem for many months. While it's easy to say that we don't have any stress/stressful problems in our life. A lot of these problems are not always obvious to us. For me, it's as simply as worrying about not be able to sleep.

Also, there's no 'normal' insomnia. Not being able to sleep is not normal. Lack of sleep will create a vicious cycle.

Lack of sleep > Stress (worried about not being able to sleep) > Anxiety (became worse) > Lack of sleep

Try to figure out what form of problems that she's going through in her life. If there's REALLY NONE. Then she need to seek specialized doctor. Try find doctors that are specialized in sleep.

Things that worked for me or I tried

1. Vitamin D3
2. Melatonin (though I double the dose and may or may not work sometime)
3. Avoid eating 2-3 hours before bed
4. Shower when it's time to sleep.
5. Dim all lights around her. Especially phones and monitors. If she REALLY need to look at those device. Download Twilight app for her phone and Flux for her computer.
6. Exercise. (Though this technically didn't work for me as I lift weights and weight lifting is a form of stress if rest is insufficient)
7. White noise, it depends from person to person. For me, any form of distraction is not good as I'll be focused on the distraction... wide awake
8. The best solution for me, alcohol. I happened to have a lot of whiskey at my disposal, so I tried. And it works wonder. Alcohol fogs your mind from all those troubling thoughts. I don't recommend downing a lot, I usually just pour a very small amount + ice and sips slowly.

Also, if her job is quite demanding or relatively busy, have her to take a few days off and go to a place where she can relax.
Wow is good to heard that finally found someone having the same problem with her, may I know do you cure from it? and yes may I know how?

For the stress part, I not very sure but she personally said there were none of it not even stress from study or parents, but like what you said sometimes she do stress because of the problem. Tried the 3, 4, 5, and 7 but not working for her. Anything I suspect might be the cause is her mindset, initially she's a worried person when go through something she will think lots about it especially the cons of it, for example when she taking the medicine she will worried that will the medicine work well if it does not what should she do and so on. To add on, she do go seek help from Chinese Traditional medication, and according to the doctor he suspect might because of her heart rate is pumping too fast making her feeling energetic and unable to sleep, if I guess if really so then her mindset will be higher chance the root of the problem, because the way we think do affect our body (Just my point of view).

Thank you for the sharing and I will definitely ask her to try out the others ways too smile.gif

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Mar 29 2016, 08:46 AM)
Sometimes you just need to reboot the biologic clock system. Force it to restart. Get a few days good sleep, the biologic clock should kick back in.

Tried but she can't even go to sleep sad.gif

QUOTE(gugukrez @ Mar 29 2016, 10:13 AM)
Try after work go for hiking (Gasing Hill/Wawasan) (if u work till 4-5pm)

If finish at 6pm.. Maybe can go nearby job ( heavy.. run of life)..

That how i disable the insomnia on me..

Will ask her to try on with some exercise , thank you smile.gif

QUOTE(ripplezone @ Mar 29 2016, 10:28 AM)

Regular exercise?

Healthy diet?

Regular exercise nope sad.gif
Others yes

GameFr3ak
post Mar 30 2016, 02:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,847 posts

QUOTE(chaos95 @ Mar 30 2016, 01:02 AM)

Wow is good to heard that finally found someone having the same problem with her, may I know do you cure from it? and yes may I know how?

For the stress part, I not very sure but she personally said there were none of it not even stress from study or parents, but like what you said sometimes she do stress because of the problem. Tried the 3, 4, 5, and 7 but not working for her. Anything I suspect might be the cause is her mindset, initially she's a worried person when go through something she will think lots about it especially the cons of it, for example when she taking the medicine she will worried that will the medicine work well if it does not what should she do and so on. To add on, she do go seek help from Chinese Traditional medication, and according to the doctor he suspect might because of her heart rate is pumping too fast making her feeling energetic and unable to sleep, if I guess if really so then her mindset will be higher chance the root of the problem, because the way we think do affect our body (Just my point of view).

Thank you for the sharing and I will definitely ask her to try out the others ways too smile.gif

Something to clarify about myself, I work a rotating shift job. People kept saying stuff about biological clock and shit, but it's not really as simple as that. I sometime have this problem despite having a solid 2 weeks of business hours shift.

Now, my issue was a lot more severe back then. Out of an entire week, I might have 5 days with just 3-4 hours of sleep. It became worse when this goes on and on as I said, anxiety kicks in when you're always sleep deprived.

So you need to find out what works for her.

For me, if I work morning shift, I just take a shower when it's time to sleep. I take a melatonin if I have no sign of being sleepy before I take my shower. Usually if I don't fall asleep within 15 minutes, I'm bound to roll around for HOURS. So if I don't fall asleep within 30 minutes, I'll go out and pour myself a shot of whiskey. I'll wake up feeling thirsty but the side effect is better than NO SLEEP.

For night shift, I work from 10pm to 8am. I reach home at 830am. This is very tricky as there's a lot of light exposure causing your mind to be confused. Sometime I'm DEAD tired but I just can't bloody fall asleep. And I got myself very worried about this sleeping problems that I started sweating IN AN AIR CONDITIONED ROOM. So I did a lot of trial and errors and found out that I need to hit the bed as soon as I'm home. Any form of distractions (phone, computer ETC) WILL keep me awake. I hit the bed immediately and I'm usually asleep within 10-15 minutes. If all else fails, whiskey will fix it.

The issue is not totally gone from me as I had a lil bit of problem sleeping today morning after an entire night of working. I really like to lay on the bed and check my phone, so I ended up going for the whiskey route. Though, I woke up a few times within 7 hours of sleep. Quality of sleep is shit but better than no sleep.

I'm not asking your gf to become alcoholic, but alcohol works wonder in this situation. I think she's a bit similar to myself. My mind is very active and I kept thinking about various random things then I became frustrated that I can't fall asleep. Heart rate will elevate, then you started sweating making it near impossible to sleep.

But I did my research on alcohol. It's not really that bad if you just do a shot everyday. You can try finding her a bottle of red/white wine that she like. Red/white wine is actually good for your health if you take moderate amount everyday.

Sorry for the long write up.
Ramjade
post Mar 30 2016, 09:24 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(GameFr3ak @ Mar 30 2016, 02:09 AM)
Something to clarify about myself, I work a rotating shift job. People kept saying stuff about biological clock and shit, but it's not really as simple as that. I sometime have this problem despite having a solid 2 weeks of business hours shift.

Now, my issue was a lot more severe back then. Out of an entire week, I might have 5 days with just 3-4 hours of sleep. It became worse when this goes on and on as I said, anxiety kicks in when you're always sleep deprived.

So you need to find out what works for her.

For me, if I work morning shift, I just take a shower when it's time to sleep. I take a melatonin if I have no sign of being sleepy before I take my shower. Usually if I don't fall asleep within 15 minutes, I'm bound to roll around for HOURS. So if I don't fall asleep within 30 minutes, I'll go out and pour myself a shot of whiskey. I'll wake up feeling thirsty but the side effect is better than NO SLEEP.

For night shift, I work from 10pm to 8am. I reach home at 830am. This is very tricky as there's a lot of light exposure causing your mind to be confused. Sometime I'm DEAD tired but I just can't bloody fall asleep. And I got myself very worried about this sleeping problems that I started sweating IN AN AIR CONDITIONED ROOM. So I did a lot of trial and errors and found out that I need to hit the bed as soon as I'm home. Any form of distractions (phone, computer ETC) WILL keep me awake. I hit the bed immediately and I'm usually asleep within 10-15 minutes. If all else fails, whiskey will fix it.

The issue is not totally gone from me as I had a lil bit of problem sleeping today morning after an entire night of working. I really like to lay on the bed and check my phone, so I ended up going for the whiskey route. Though, I woke up a few times within 7 hours of sleep. Quality of sleep is shit but better than no sleep.

I'm not asking your gf to become alcoholic, but alcohol works wonder in this situation. I think she's a bit similar to myself. My mind is very active and I kept thinking about various random things then I became frustrated that I can't fall asleep. Heart rate will elevate, then you started sweating making it near impossible to sleep.

But I did my research on alcohol. It's not really that bad if you just do a shot everyday. You can try finding her a bottle of red/white wine that she like. Red/white wine is actually good for your health if you take moderate amount everyday.

Sorry for the long write up.
Isn't whisky alcohol content higher than red wine? Forget to add, if you are going the alcohol route, it would be wise to take milk thistle and dandelion when you are awake to protect the liver.

Turmeric tea + black pepper + Virgin coconut oil also helps the liver.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Mar 30 2016, 09:25 AM
cadiators
post Mar 30 2016, 09:34 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

I personally face anxiety, worried and unable to sleep. In the end I found out it's due to my weak emotion /mental strength.

For the remedy, I started to think and focus on problem positively. My body and mind managed to relax more which finally induce sleep.

Turning off smartphone and iPad does help.

Hope it helps.
MoneyChaser
post Mar 30 2016, 11:47 AM

Casual
369 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Mar 30 2016, 09:24 AM)
Isn't whisky alcohol content higher than red wine? Forget to add, if you are going the alcohol route, it would be wise to take milk thistle and dandelion when you are awake to protect the liver.

Turmeric tea + black pepper + Virgin coconut oil also helps the liver.
Does Milk Thistle Help for the liver ?

Ramjade
post Mar 30 2016, 11:51 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(MoneyChaser @ Mar 30 2016, 11:47 AM)
Does Milk Thistle Help for the liver ?
Milk thistle, dandelion, turmeric (turmeric requires oil and black pepper to enhance absorption) all help. However need to see what's the cause first. They use milk thistle in European hospital.

Milk thistle should be whole seed (freeze dried) not just the extract.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Mar 30 2016, 11:55 AM
Trait0r
post Mar 30 2016, 03:57 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

Have you tried meditation yet? I find meditation helps alot to ease my stress which was causing some insomnia. Just the other night I woke up and was unable to sleep back, and I meditated 15 minutes and then managed to sleep soundly.

Most of the time the more we think to ourselves that we"need" the sleep and we keep telling ourselves to "Get to sleep!", the more we couldn't sleep. The key is to let go, just letting go will bring so much peace and I am able to have good sleep.
Ramjade
post Mar 30 2016, 05:02 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Trait0r @ Mar 30 2016, 03:57 PM)
Have you tried meditation yet? I find meditation helps alot to ease my stress which was causing some insomnia. Just the other night I woke up and was unable to sleep back, and I meditated 15 minutes and then managed to sleep soundly.

Most of the time the more we think to ourselves that we"need" the sleep and we keep telling ourselves to "Get to sleep!", the more we couldn't sleep. The key is to let go, just letting go will bring so much peace and I am able to have good sleep.
I think TS GF is doing the wrong type of meditation.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 PM