Folding Bicycles v5 - Not only Folding Bikes, Folding bicycle discussion

views

etigge
post Dec 15 2015, 06:02 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 15 2015, 04:30 PM)
LOL!  Aso-what??? 

Very simple, so such thing as free lunch.  You pay for what you get!

Having said that, I got a quote for a Kinetix Comp front wheel for my Dahon TR from US dealer, Thor USA.  RM495........  just for the one front wheel.  And you can buy a whole Chinese bike for less.  Which is better value  hmm.gif
Why don't you call Rodalink Botanic Garden, Klang and ask for Sam. I think they still have one or two and they sell just the front wheel alone (that is if they still have the stock). If I was not mistaken they sell it for about RM700 for the front and back and the front, I think less than half of that. It's the same hweelset as the Dahon Speed, MU when they were still using Kinetix sourced from WTBs.
etigge
post Dec 17 2015, 12:46 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(266K @ Dec 17 2015, 11:37 AM)
All quiet here??
Noob question, if I swap out the 8-speed cassette 11-32T with a 9-speed one, without chg shifter or chain, that still workable right? just that I won't get the 34T.
No, you CANNOT do that ! shakehead.gif 8 speed shifters means 8 speed cogs/cassette. Also chain is of different width. Common sense tells you that a 8,9 and 10 speed cassette can fit into the same hub on the wheelset. So, this means the total width are the same for all 3 different cassette. So, it means the thickness of the cogs are different in the 3 types and the pull of the shifters cable are of different length. Yes, I do hear from say, " Works perfectly, it can be used" . Do you want to try that and go riding? hmm.gif

etigge
post Dec 22 2015, 02:32 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

[quote=266K,Dec 22 2015, 01:53 PM]
[quote=azamunekurone,Dec 21 2015, 07:08 PM]
yesterday crossing the 2nd penang bridge,
and today climbing up to cameron!

Wta is crossing 2nd bridge need to pay?

[/quote]
Have you crossed the 2nd bridge? Bicycles are banned from using the bridge, as far as I know.

As for the chain, you going to ruin the extra chain length if you take out one by one. Set the RD at the smallest cog and the front chainring (you got only one chainring). Just adjust the length where the chain doesn't touch the RD cage. As long as possible but not touching the RD cage when it is at the smallest cog.
etigge
post Dec 23 2015, 11:38 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(266K @ Dec 23 2015, 08:58 AM)
This Shimano tools box RM200 oni, genuine?
I googled, it looks different, probably cheap china made one.
Nolarrr! yawn.gif Same chinese made. Same as Bikehand and many other cheapo brands. Can be used but not good. If you want something good and lasting, off course Parktools but velly, velly expensive. Go for the Icetools, just maybe RM50 to RM70 extra but much better quality. icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Dec 27 2015, 08:47 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Aeon89 @ Dec 26 2015, 09:14 PM)
just recently i started cycling for 1 hour at around 13km distance, my butt pain in the final stretch, mohon give advise why ah, saddle problem?

Bike Spec, Dahon Speed P8, I am 190cm, do i need to change the stock saddle?
My bicycle as attached
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

And is there cycling group in Penang? wanna join for the ride, newbie here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531214297133708/

Check the FB page above and then join in and message Winson Gan. Ask him to inform you if there are rides around Balik Pulau fishing villages which will be suitable for you now. The terrain is flat and scenic. Later you can join them for other harder rides. If there's anything just mention Wong recommended. Their rides can be fun but don't get pressured by some rich members (usual lah in every group laugh.gif ).
etigge
post Dec 29 2015, 11:30 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(chongkiat @ Dec 29 2015, 08:37 PM)
Where is the recommended place to buy folding bike in KL area?
Reasonable price of course
The top 3 are USJ Cycles, then My Bike Shop in Bandar Utama 4 and 3rd, Kimbell Jaya in Cheras Perdana. My suggestion, first go USJ Cycles and check out the prices, then check out My Bike Shop but don't commit first. Then finally visit Kimbell Jaya and then ask for the best price and freebies and then Voila! Make your choice from the 3 shops. rclxms.gif
etigge
post Dec 31 2015, 11:27 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 31 2015, 06:08 AM)
Cycling on a busy road is stressful esp when you are fighting for space with buses, cars and motorcycles. Georgetown is an old place and there will never be enough room for a bike lane. Some streets have so many tourists walking around that they should really close them off to traffic. Dangerous mix.
Sadly that's true. rclxub.gif

The local government can't even provide proper FIVE FOOT WAYS, let alone cycling lanes. When I took up mountain biking again, many folding bikers were telling me that's dangerous and extreme. In actual, there are many branches in mountain biking as well. I took the least extreme ones and that's cross country which usually try as much to ride on laterites, sandy trails or fire trails or even within plantation trails and off and on on tarmacs. This is actually much much safer than riding on our roads. In mountain biking if you fall, off course you will be hurt but usually not fatal, maybe bruises, that is off course you don't go try 4 or 5 foot jumps. In my case , it is just riding under more shady trees rather than hot tarmacs. Also no lorries or vehicles to look out for.

I will be moving to Taiping in the next few months and maybe in Taiping I will get another folding bike and will ride around the villages around there and also join the Penang cycling community for their outskirts ride. Imagine, my place is just 10 kilometers from Kuala Sepetang on the desolate road. I can have my breakfast in Sepetang daily, hahahaa. laugh.gif Can't wait for the day.
etigge
post Dec 31 2015, 11:45 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Jay Chua CC @ Dec 31 2015, 11:40 AM)
They shud learn frm Sabah btw. Kota Kinabalu mostly have dedicated lanes for bicycle along the busy road,they even build lanes along the coastline at kk town.
Taiping where ? biggrin.gif Kuala sepetang road quite dangerous if dark. Both side palm oil trees.  sweat.gif
Not advisible to ride at night lorrr. shakehead.gif At night can ride in town. Taiping near Aulong.
etigge
post Dec 31 2015, 08:40 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 31 2015, 01:47 PM)
Hey I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme from Rodalink. RM50 each, good price I thought?
That's cheap bro. Usually they are sold for RM98 each. thumbup.gif Wire beads or kevlar beads?

This post has been edited by etigge: Dec 31 2015, 08:41 PM
etigge
post Jan 4 2016, 11:51 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(266K @ Jan 4 2016, 09:24 AM)
Very nice  nod.gif , may I know if those wheels are strong enuf, I mean will it easily bend, compare to the regular 20/28 one?
If you like the design, there's one set for sale for RM700 in BBS. Taken out from the Dahon MU SLX. He didn't mention it but I can recognise the white rims. It's cheap if you ask me as the Kinetic Pro is about 2K now and the Litepro similar version slightly above 1K. There's also a set of Machete wheelset in BBS which is quite popular in Singapore.

The rims are made stronger for the lesser spokes but the lesser spokes makes it very hard to true back again if it is knocked hard! icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Jan 7 2016, 10:26 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Jan 7 2016, 08:55 PM)
Hi
Have a question for Wheels sifu....
I came across a set of Kinetix Comp wheelset, but unlike the one on my SpeedTR, these are black with WTB label on the rim. The are the same as the Speed P8. Why do they call it Kinetix Comp??
Anyway it was cheap so I bought it. Comes with Schwalbe Big Apple tyres which is a bonus!
Those mentioned are better rims than the present Kinetixes. Dahon contracted Kinetix to supply their double walled wheelsets and in turn Kinetix was made by WTBs. Firstly in USA then moved to Taiwan. Later Kinetix changed their OEM supplier to China's manufacturers and hence WTBs do not make Kinetix anymore. The squarish Kinetix Comp are better quality than the present ones shodded in Dahons or Terns which if I am not mistaken made by Vuelta. When Dahon and Tern were haggling over Kinetix as supplier, Dahon uses wheelsets that were made in China and those were Dahon's lousy days. The Verge uses Kinetix Pro the last time.

Don't worry, you made a good deal! thumbup.gif
etigge
post Jan 8 2016, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(sepat @ Jan 8 2016, 10:59 AM)
which shop normally u guys hunting for a good wheelset? planning to replaced my 2 years old Vigor P9 wheels... budget below 1k? is it possible.. ?

Also i am  looking for aftermarket non adjustable headpost for vigor which can fold outside (now fold inside) with measurement around 30cm height?

thanks sifu
Kimbell Jaya has stock of the wheelsets, even Lite pros. As for the non adjustable handlepost, there's a posting by cclems in BBS. He is selling his Tern Link P9 handle post. Don't know if it is sold or not. Kimbell Jaya also has stock of a black Lite pro handle post but not sure if it folds inside or outside. Why fold outside when inside is better? rclxub.gif I also have one new adjustable original Dahon tapi 'tak laku'. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Jan 8 2016, 12:49 PM
etigge
post Jan 8 2016, 11:14 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(sepat @ Jan 8 2016, 09:55 PM)
Hi En Etigge

thank you for the tips last time on upgrading my foldie  thumbup.gif

the reason i needed the outside fold handle post was due to my straight bar replaced with bullhorn .. so i can't fold the bike when loading into the car..

as for the wheelset, will drop by Kimbell Jaya for a look..  need to freshen up the foldie look after 2 years serving me
thank u smile.gif
Here's another good deal. Kookkeongfong is changing is wheelset again and my guess is this is his wheelset. He's selling it cheap though, worth it. My guess is COD around Wangsa Maju area. If you or anyone interested can check this FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=102...&type=3&theater
etigge
post Jan 9 2016, 10:52 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

Here's another great deal! thumbup.gif Slightly expensive but very rare, very rare. Kinetix Pro wheelsets from Dahon Verge and this wheelset uses the famed American Classic hubs. thumbup.gif If the brake linings are still good, it should be a good ride.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...&type=3&theater

user posted image
etigge
post Jan 11 2016, 12:26 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(sepat @ Jan 11 2016, 11:48 AM)
why the kinetic rim spoke in the picture without the spoke nipple?

is this normal?
The spoke fastener is within the rims. There's a special tool to adjust the tension but a 4mm or 5mm (can't remember rclxub.gif ) square socket can do the job as well.
etigge
post Jan 14 2016, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

A forummer bought a 16 inch rims from me and has find difficulty in sourcing the 20/20 holed hubs for the rims. It's not available in Malaysia actually but it can be bought online from Taobao, China. I have no idea with regards to the said forummer's front fork width as there are 2 different widths. One as used by Dahons and Terns are 74mm and the other the usual 100mm (usually those with disc brakes). The 74mm offers more rigidity and stronger as the spokes are not too angled from the rims. That's why Dahons and Terns choose that width, probably.

There's another option , though. You can get the front hubs (20 holes) from here if you are using 74mm.

http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/311012/kene...bearing-freepos

and if you are using 100mm forks, you can get the adapters here.

http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/333141/lite...pter-dahon-tern

As for the rear, you can go for either a 24 hole or a 32 hole ones and skip a few holes while lacing. The distance is so small, I don't think it will affect the truing of the rims and more so because the rims are only 16 inch diameter. So, use with confidence. The only drawback is.................most LBS are not interested to do it as there might be a few spokes modifications. You might need to adjust the length of the spokes.

I would suggest though that you take this set. It is the 24 for the rear and the 20 for the front. This eliminates a lot of problems.
http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/204486/nova...24-free-pos-w-m

And if you want to use the regular , more easier and off course cheaper as it is common 32 holes for the front and rear, I have drawn the spokes lacing patterns. The red dots on the smaller circle are the SKIPPED holes. Both the 24 and 32 holes are fine if you look at the lacing of the spokes. Shouldn't be a problem. Good luck ! thumbup.gif

This is the 24 holes lacing.

user posted image

and.............this is the 32 holes lacing.

user posted image

If you have contacted me earlier, I could have done it for you but I am now in Taiping, so it's a bit hard. If you want to mod the spokes yourself like I do, get this ; The size of the spoke nipples are a bit special though. Most nut and bolts store stocks only 2,3,4,5,6mm etc but not 2.5mm which is the size for the spokes. I got it from Central Nuts and Bolts in Jalan San Peng, K.Lumpur. You get longer spokes, for mountain bikes, these are the easiest to get anyway and then measure and cut to length needed and tread it.

user posted image
etigge
post Jan 14 2016, 02:44 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(266K @ Jan 14 2016, 01:39 PM)
There is no RD hanger on my MU, I assume I can't use the same hole for the Neos
It should be item A-11 from this page. The item is readily available in Kimbell Jaya though.

http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/255379/rear...hanger-page-1-5

You can ask the seller if it is for Dahon , BTW.

This post has been edited by etigge: Jan 14 2016, 02:45 PM
etigge
post Jan 14 2016, 05:37 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(tcb2010 @ Jan 14 2016, 04:51 PM)
Thx Desa,

Any source to point me to on how to loosened the headset? Is it in the manuals?

Damn the Dahons, nice as they are...they seem to give a lot of small assembly issues as well right out of the box...Mine came the back fenders giving squeaking sound when go over uneven tarmac.
Have to DIY to troubleshoot all these small irritating problems..and now this..Tight handle..What the..

Is noisy fenders a common issues?
You know? I bought a 70K Peugeot and it still creaks here and there. What did you expect from a 2K BICYCLE? Folding one too! shocking.gif

It's just a matter of tightening some allen nuts and screws. If you can't handle that, I suggest you send it back to the shop to do it. Unless it is USJ Cycles, most will oblige. If you buy a right bike, a small portable bike tool can handle most tweaks. For me, I take off the whole mud guards, totally no squeak at all. I can't fathom how fenders can squeak? I mean there only 4 fasteners for each front and back. rclxub.gif One main one fastens the fenders to the main body , one is at the fork and the other rear one is to the seat stays at the rear. Others are belongs to the wire contraption for the fenders.

As for the headset, you have to be sure it is the headset is too tight! Fold down the handle post and you will see a big hex nut inside. It is 12mm, if I am not mistaken. This tightens the headset and this is the one that holds the fork so it won't fall off the frame! At the neck of the handle post, you will see a 6mm allen nut and this grips the handle post to the fork's steerer's tube.

" LOOSEN THE 6MM A LITTLE AND THE HANDLE CAN TURN LEFT AND RIGHT. THEN USE THE 12MM HEX KEY AND LOOSEN THE BIG ALLEN NUT INSIDE THE HANDLE POST. JUST A LITTLE AND TURN THE HANDLEPOST AND SEE IF IT TURNS FREELY TO YOUR SATISFACTION. IF IT DOES, CHECK TO SEE IF IT HAS TOO MUCH CLEARANCE AS IF IT DOES, THE WHOLE HANDLEPOST IS LOOSE. ADJUST UNITL THE VERY LEAST SO THAT THE HANDLEPOST IS TIGHT AND DOES NOT HAVE ANY FREE PLAY BUT TURNS FREELY. ONCE OK, ADJUST BACK THE HANDLE BAR SO IT IS STRAIGHT AND TIGHTEN BACK THE 6MM ALLEN NUT. " voila! rclxms.gif

If this doesn't help, that means the headset bearings are not well.
etigge
post Jan 14 2016, 08:59 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(tcb2010 @ Jan 14 2016, 08:16 PM)
Sifu etigge,

Tried to assess the situation further, and its a tighter to the right hand side. When i turn the handle to the right...its gets stiffer along the way, and basically wont go beyond 90 degrees, unless applied a bit more force..
Over tightened headpost bearing?

Mine is a 2015 vitesse d8,  is the headpost allen key size 12mm.?
Hahaha! You have to get used to which direction you are turning the screws or nut. Clockwise is tightening and anti clockwise is loosening. This doesn't apply to the bottom brackets and pedals though, the rest are !

Here's the picture of the mentioned nut. so, No 1....... loosen the 6mm screw first
No 2...... turn the 12mm nut anti clockwise a little, maybe 10 20 degrees will loosen the headset or maybe even less!

Check that the handlepost HAS NO FREEPLAY, means the handle can turn freely only and NO OTHER MOVEMENTS !! No rocking front and back especially. When you brake the front wheels, there should be no movement of the post to the front or back. NO FREEPLAY at all. Only turning.

user posted image

PS/ OH yeah, remember to lock back the 6mm screw after adjusting!

This post has been edited by etigge: Jan 14 2016, 09:00 PM
etigge
post Jan 15 2016, 02:19 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Jan 14 2016, 09:37 PM)
Talking about 20H front hubs, I have just ordered one yesterday on Ebay.  Not sure what the quality is like but should be ok.
[attachmentid=5805325]
I needed one so I can swap out the Biologic dynamo that is on the wheel that I recently bought from Rodalink.  My Speed TR has the identical wheeel and I didn't want to be riding constantly with the dynamo dragging.  Once I replace the dynamo hub with the one I ordered, I can then choose when to use which  rclxms.gif

I still can't believe how cheap the wheel was, so no problem spending more to replace the hub.  Best of all, I'll have a matching original wheel.

[attachmentid=5805367]

Question to Sifu Etigge, not having laced a wheel before, how do you measure correct spoke length for the new hub?  hmm.gif
Thanks!
There's a formula to calculate and you need to know the dimension of the hubs flange, hubs width and the type of lacing you are going to use. Darn complicated if you ask me, hahahaaa. tongue.gif

So, what I do is I will estimate and lace the 4 quadrants of the rim. And then lace another 4 to the other side. Check the length and then estimate how much to cut. Oh yeah, one more thing, the first 4 spoke has treads that go on and on and on so I can screw the nipples as far as needed. It's more like experimenting. Once you get the correct length, I will start adjusting all the spokes length together. Hard work actually but smaller rims are easier to lace.

Here's the website for wheel building.

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

21 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1167sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:18 PM