Working in UK, possible?

views

silverwave
post Apr 30 2009, 12:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(Doom @ Apr 30 2009, 11:45 AM)
@silverwave
I just came back from they after finding so hard to get a job interview after 2 months time.

BTW, you could apply Post Study Work Tier 1 in order to work there.

They would grant you 2 years of working permit, however, due to economy recession and unemployment rate going up. The requirement has reach new high barrier, you need to prepare the documentation after graduated.

1. Student Status Letter indicating you have succesful completed the course and obtained the certitifcate,
2. application form,
3. original bank statement for 3 months (make sure got balance of 600GBP at the month of application),
4. medical check report including biometric scan (Newly Added)
5. passport
6. 500GBP for application fee (Increased from 400GBP since last December)
Hey, so it is bad down there. What kind of jobs were you looking for?

Post Study Work Tier 1 is to do masters and then work? I thought in order to work, i need to apply for Tier 1, General Migrant (INF 21) ?

Thanks for the detailed info smile.gif
wayfeel
post Apr 30 2009, 02:42 PM

Member of Elite Negotiators xD
2,114 posts

if wan work in uk, london is ur best chance.

my friends who studied there got ACCA (chartered accountants), with master degree , LSE, imperial college, with all sort of good degree all cannot find job in elsewher of uk other than london for many months to yr...

anoter friend who got degree from segi ,kk...flew to london stay there n find job, within weeks got job liao n then his fren folo, also same result so they say ,wan work , goto london as many opportunity like kl like that.

but those r like 1-2yrs ago. now surely willb stricter wiit recession but still, generally london is way to go than others uk places
new~b0y
post May 1 2009, 05:46 AM

Casual
456 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Apr 30 2009, 12:54 PM)
Hey, so it is bad down there. What kind of jobs were you looking for?

Post Study Work Tier 1 is to do masters and then work? I thought in order to work, i need to apply for Tier 1, General Migrant (INF 21) ?

Thanks for the detailed info smile.gif
You can apply for PSW Tier 1 if you graduated from a full time course in UK. Then you can apply for jobs with that visa. At the end of that visa, you will have to apply for a work permit or switch to Tier 1 General.

As for Tier 1 General, after the recent change of rules, you can apply with a recognised master degree from any university within or outside UK.

I hope my explanation helps. As for everyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong. laugh.gif
silverwave
post May 1 2009, 01:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(new~b0y @ May 1 2009, 05:46 AM)
You can apply for PSW Tier 1 if you graduated from a full time course in UK. Then you can apply for jobs with that visa. At the end of that visa, you will have to apply for a work permit or switch to Tier 1 General.

As for Tier 1 General, after the recent change of rules, you can apply with a recognised master degree from any university within or outside UK.

I hope my explanation helps. As for everyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong.  laugh.gif
Yes, it did. Thanks. smile.gif

I have a UK engineering degree but i did it here. I haven't really made up my mind whether to do my Masters in the UK/US but i do plan to work in whichever country that i do it. For engineering, if i'm not mistaken, UK, US and Australia is good in terms of career prospect. I'm still doing research on it, so i can't tell 100% for sure. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by silverwave: May 1 2009, 01:07 PM
Doom
post May 1 2009, 03:45 PM

Doom"s here >_<"
4,496 posts

if u are looking for engineering job, you would get better chance loh as many vacancy includes engineer, technician and medical...

It would be wise go London but that is for financial position, if u are looking for engineer job, better go up to scottland or Manchester.

There are more manufacutrer there than london, thus, hiring more people.
kb2005
post May 1 2009, 11:29 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,373 posts

QUOTE(Doom @ May 1 2009, 03:45 PM)
if u are looking for engineering job, you would get better chance loh as many vacancy includes engineer, technician and medical...

It would be wise go London but that is for financial position, if u are looking for engineer job, better go up to scottland or Manchester.

There are more manufacutrer there than london, thus, hiring more people.
Are you one of them working in the UK ? biggrin.gif
liew_jls
post May 2 2009, 06:04 AM

On my way
557 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ May 1 2009, 06:01 AM)
Yes, it did. Thanks.  smile.gif

I have a UK engineering degree but i did it here. I haven't really made up my mind whether to do my Masters in the UK/US but i do plan to work in whichever country that i do it. For engineering, if i'm not mistaken, UK, US and Australia is good in terms of career prospect. I'm still doing research on it, so i can't tell 100% for sure.  tongue.gif
if you like to do Master over here, you doesn't need to get PSW visa. all you need is a student visa. PSW is for you to work in UK without any working permit (fresh graduate). if you are really want to work in UK, i suppose taking master is a better option as you can apply HSPM, where you don't need company get working permit for you. as home office has tighten the rules for Tier 1 general.

btw, working in London really that good? as everybody know living cost in london is a boom and life style is so stress... but i can't deny there is a lot of working opportunity in london, especially IT.

Added on May 2, 2009, 6:14 am
QUOTE(Doom @ Apr 30 2009, 04:45 AM)
@silverwave
I just came back from they after finding so hard to get a job interview after 2 months time.

BTW, you could apply Post Study Work Tier 1 in order to work there.

They would grant you 2 years of working permit, however, due to economy recession and unemployment rate going up. The requirement has reach new high barrier, you need to prepare the documentation after graduated.

1. Student Status Letter indicating you have succesful completed the course and obtained the certitifcate,
2. application form,
3. original bank statement for 3 months (make sure got balance of 600GBP at the month of application),
4. medical check report including biometric scan (Newly Added)
5. passport
6. 500GBP for application fee (Increased from 400GBP since last December)
yeah. you are absolutely correct. if so hard to get a job interview. I really can't believe the economy over here is so bad. the market is so quiet nowadays. just a interview is so difficult. i know it's recession, but ppl still needs to live right? like eat, travel and sleep etc.. but now just like nothing is going on..
you just come back from?

PSW requirement, there's different between application in UK and KL. so you need to check it out when you decide where you want to submit your application. my goodness, i can't believe they include the medical check report? lucky i applied few months ago.. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by liew_jls: May 2 2009, 06:14 AM
fFeryUk
post Nov 18 2017, 10:50 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Dec 2 2006, 08:11 PM)
Hi, i want to know that is it easy for malaysian to find work at uk? Becos i plan to find my work at there and stay there. Any fresh graduates who study at uk as well and work at there please leave soemthing here as well as those who study local but go to uk and work.
If someone has the same dilemma in 2017, the answer is: if you are very good at something, it's really easy to find a job in the UK, regardless of which country you're coming from (unless you're from North Korea smile.gif ). If you can provide extreme value with your skills, then get in touch with many companies and show them what you can do, and they will do whatever it takes to employ you, and to resolve the paperwork. Highly skilled people are extremely sought for, and you'll earn quite good money if you're among the top 1% of the people in your trade. For example, my partner (for 3 years now) is from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), and she's an extremely talented Java developer. She's literally been hunted down by UK recruitment agencies about 4 years ago, and she's earning £61K/year, which is a fair wage for a Java developer in London (leaving her with around £3,600 net/month, src: tax calculator). Make sure you've got the skills, and there are plenty of opportunities for anyone, from anywhere wink.gif Hope it helps.
mystalyzer
post Nov 23 2017, 03:56 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(fFeryUk @ Nov 18 2017, 10:50 PM)
If someone has the same dilemma in 2017, the answer is: if you are very good at something, it's really easy to find a job in the UK, regardless of which country you're coming from (unless you're from North Korea smile.gif ). If you can provide extreme value with your skills, then get in touch with many companies and show them what you can do, and they will do whatever it takes to employ you, and to resolve the paperwork. Highly skilled people are extremely sought for, and you'll earn quite good money if you're among the top 1% of the people in your trade. For example, my partner (for 3 years now) is from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), and she's an extremely talented Java developer. She's literally been hunted down by UK recruitment agencies about 4 years ago, and she's earning  £61K/year, which is a fair wage for a Java developer in London (leaving her with around £3,600 net/month, src: tax calculator). Make sure you've got the skills, and there are plenty of opportunities for anyone, from anywhere wink.gif Hope it helps.
Actually it is not that easy. I'm a java developer in London as well. Get a lot of messages and request from recruiters, but most conversations usually end with: "I'm really interested, but my client is unable to offer sponsorship". The situation is very different if she already got rights to work in the UK, otherwise it takes more searching to actually find an employer who can sponsor. Your partner must be very lucky or very talented to find an employer that can hire her AND sponsor her.

My experience in UK is employers look for candidates who can legally work in UK without sponsorship first, whereas employers in Ireland and Germany look for candidates who can do the job first, and then help to sponsor the foreign candidate if the candidate is suitable.
honkkydorry
post Jan 15 2018, 02:12 PM

On my way
671 posts

I think it is easier to get a job if you graduated from there and work there immediately after graduation. My cousin did both his Degree & Masters in London. He has pretty good academic record and has done internship there as well. He is now with one of the top architect firm in London. His gf also studied the same in London and is also working there now.

juanthomson
post Feb 13 2018, 03:43 AM

0 posts

It maybe easy to locate a job here but very rare to earn £3,600 per month, I'm a graduate engineer with 5 years experience and still only making 22k so £1,520 net take home per month after tax according to http://after-tax.co.uk/?income=22000

This post has been edited by juanthomson: Feb 13 2018, 03:44 AM
mystalyzer
post Feb 14 2018, 04:30 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(juanthomson @ Feb 13 2018, 03:43 AM)
It maybe easy to locate a job here but very rare to earn £3,600 per month, I'm a graduate engineer with 5 years experience and still only making 22k so £1,520 net take home per month after tax according to http://after-tax.co.uk/?income=22000
i think it depends on location. it's certainly not rare to earn more than £3,600 per month in London area considering rents around for 1 bedroom flat is around £1,000. If add council tax and transportation cost to work, that would be a very tight budget. That income is probably ok for other parts of the UK but it's pretty low for London area.
FeryUk
post Feb 21 2018, 03:47 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(mIssfROGY @ Feb 15 2008, 12:24 PM)
online  biggrin.gif

Added on February 15, 2008, 12:31 pm

i actually did try this online to check if i am eligible.....failedddd bigtime!! hahaha....but then again, they sent few letters asking to go for interview instead, because eventho if u failed the test.....there are exceptions and can tryout for the interview session pulak where they understand your case further.  hmm.gif

P.s: Dun ask me hows the interview and all...i didnt go for it. But i think even if u failed the initial part, u can still tryout for the interview part where they can actually try to know your strong points further.
Here is a better, more visual alternative to the tax calculator above: Icome Tax or a more simple one After Tax. I hope it helps wink.gif

mystalyzer
post Mar 8 2018, 07:08 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(FeryUk @ Feb 21 2018, 03:47 AM)
Here is a better, more visual alternative to the tax calculator above: Icome Tax or a more simple one After Tax. I hope it helps wink.gif
hopefully she isn't still waiting for an answer after 10 years smile.gif
mayforeveryoung
post Apr 2 2018, 01:20 AM

3 posts

It's been five months or so after I transferred to UK under the T2 visa and sponsored by my company.
This was one of my biggest decision I have made in my life to relocate in a foreign land on my own. Currently staying in Nottingham, going down to London occasionally for business trips.
If you are happen to be around this area happy to go for a meetup.
silverwave
post Apr 3 2018, 10:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(mayforeveryoung @ Apr 2 2018, 01:20 AM)
It's been five months or so after I transferred to UK under the T2 visa and sponsored by my company.
This was one of my biggest decision I have made in my life to relocate in a foreign land on my own. Currently staying in Nottingham, going down to London occasionally for business trips.
May i know what field are you in?
mystalyzer
post Apr 4 2018, 04:06 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(mayforeveryoung @ Apr 2 2018, 01:20 AM)
Hi, are you on T2 General or T2 ICT?
Qalix
post Feb 9 2019, 01:53 PM

0 posts

Hi everyone!

Personal advices based on experience:

- Super qualified with super portfolio (keep working on it when you have time)
- Super confident during interviews even if you think your English is not there, but stay humble, because we are Malaysians smile.gif
- No nearby competitions
- Luck

It has been 3 good years since I started here with a T2 Visa, just 2 more years for Permanent Resident.
Company fully sponsored everything.
Had experienced with working in Japan previously, and now I'm here. Still in my 30s.
My past experience in Malaysia was in the industry, before I switched to education as a lecturer.
Here, I took on a managerial position in education, only have 1 class to teach while managing my staff with their classes.
My field is in the creative content sector, namely animation, web dev & games (fun stuff haha)
My bosses, colleagues and students are all super nice.
Work environment is also pretty awesome. I'll make a new thread next time with pictures.

To all the boys & girls here, no matter what field you are in, no matter if you are in Malaysia or here studying in the UK.
Some applied once and got it, some sent more than 1000 CVs and sat on hundreds of interviews, then only got it.
The road might seem hard at first, but don't give up.

Just ask me anything, I'll try my best to answer them smile.gif

10 Pages « < 8 9 10Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.60    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM