Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in UK, possible?

views

TSben3003
post Dec 2 2006, 08:11 PM, updated 18y ago

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

Hi, i want to know that is it easy for malaysian to find work at uk? Becos i plan to find my work at there and stay there. Any fresh graduates who study at uk as well and work at there please leave soemthing here as well as those who study local but go to uk and work.
chachachaaa
post Dec 3 2006, 02:11 PM

Getting Started
208 posts

my sis is working there smile.gif
goliath
post Dec 3 2006, 03:05 PM

5,529 posts

It depends on what position you are applying. There are some positions which are in demand right now. And do bear in mind that it is not impossible, but it is hard to get a job in UK.
TheEditor
post Dec 4 2006, 12:17 AM

32 posts

I've friends who studied in the UK and got a job there. But it was really not easy to get one. They sent out at least 100++ resumes; only to got shortlisted, interviewed and finally hired.

Do you have the perseverance and patience? If yes, you stand a chance.
ardhawk
post Dec 4 2006, 12:37 AM

I Want V!
545 posts

actually there is a new law in UK for foreigner worker..
where they must have degree in UK.

So if u graduate from here, its totally hard or maybe rejected..
Geminist
post Dec 4 2006, 03:15 AM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/content/w...n/homepage.html

It's possible if you put in the effort to go write a proper resume. Spamming your resume doesn't really help if you do not have a good idea of what sort of jobs you're looking for and what sort of people they are looking for.

All the best to you.
TheEditor
post Dec 4 2006, 02:53 PM

32 posts

Yes, spamming your resume doesn't help. Customise each and every resume of yours to fit in the requirements of the employer. Do not choose jobs for the sake of getting a job. Find one that is suitable for you. smile.gif
wodenus
post Dec 4 2006, 06:47 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

Also you might try improving your English. You're not going to go very far in England if your English is bad smile.gif
kaynemil
post Dec 5 2006, 08:07 AM

24 posts

The newspaper article that came out last sunday states that it should be harder for Malaysians to work in UK under the HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme). Among the criteria are
a) Need 2 possess british degree/masters
b) speak good english
c) and i think must already earn at least �18k pa with current job.

I think the killer should be option c). Who makes that much in a year anyways (besides businessman)!

There is another way to come to work in UK, and that is through working permit applied by the UK employer on your behalf. It's no secret that alot of big 4 auditors in Malaysia has gone over to UK through this method. So if you are an auditor, you're in luck. If not, good luck. But there might be other means which I do not know of. Anyone care to share?
quintessential
post Dec 5 2006, 11:15 AM

ilha formosa
2,919 posts

QUOTE(kaynemil @ Dec 5 2006, 09:07 AM)
There is another way to come to work in UK, and that is through working permit applied by the UK employer on your behalf.  It's no secret that alot of big 4 auditors in Malaysia has gone over to UK through this method.  So if you are an auditor, you're in luck.  If not, good luck.  But there might be other means which I do not know of.  Anyone care to share?
how about australia and canada. lotsa malaysians migrate there.
TSben3003
post Dec 5 2006, 04:30 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

if uk company hire u and possible they send to to uk if u are good enuf? Still need to get degree at uk?
Geminist
post Dec 5 2006, 08:25 PM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Dec 5 2006, 04:30 PM)
if uk company hire u and possible they send to to uk if u are good enuf? Still need to get degree at uk?
As far as I'm aware, you don't need one if your employer applies a working permit for you.

However, I must say that the application of a working permit is pretty lengthy and troublesome.

It all boils down to how much your employer wants you smile.gif
ah_suknat
post Dec 6 2006, 02:39 AM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

come as a student, then find a job that can offer work permitt.
goliath
post Dec 6 2006, 09:09 AM

5,529 posts

I agree with Geminist.

My suggestion would be complete your studies in UK and at the same time look for jobs, which accomodates what you studied. It's kinda better this way as you still have permit to stay in UK (until your student visa expires) to look for job.

QUOTE(kaynemil @ Dec 5 2006, 08:07 AM)
c) and i think must already earn at least �18k pa with current job.

I think the killer should be option c).  Who makes that much in a year anyways (besides businessman)!
Well, by looking at requirement ©, I guess they want experience prefessionals because only they (professionals) could earn that amount.

INFeRNO
post Dec 6 2006, 05:55 PM

Lord and Master
1,754 posts

There are plenty of ways to qualify to work in the UK as you already know, like the HSMP and the SEGS, also the good old work permit.

Of course, if you aren't already in the UK, then the best option for you is to start working in MNC's that may someday send you to the UK.

I don't know much about the HSMP, but I can tell you that to qualify for the SEGS is real easy, as long as your course is "on the list". The list changes every year. New rules state that if you're pursuing a masters degree or PhD in the UK, you automatically qualify under the SEGS, whether you want it or not.

Finally, the work permit option. Now this is by far the hardest way to get a job, since the employer needs to:

1) Prove the job was advertised to locals for at least 4 weeks
2) Give reason as to why all the other applicants weren't suitable for the job.
3) Prove that the job cannot be done by a local even if provided with sufficient training.

And if you are currently studying in the UK, and want some work experience before coming home, there is the TWES. It allows you to work for 1 or 2 years in the UK with the understanding that you will leave the country once you're done.

Scotland and Ireland both have similar schemes as well, but in order to qualify, you must've studied in either Scotland or Ireland (obviously).
tommy141184
post Dec 15 2006, 03:31 AM

Getting Started
153 posts

hey mate, What is TWES and HSMP? Is it all the courses that provided by uk universities can apply working visa within under these two terms? I am a final year student who is currently taking BSC transportation and logistics in portsmouth and i realised that my course is not under SEGS..so i am seeking other way to stay here after my study.
Geminist
post Dec 15 2006, 03:48 AM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

QUOTE(tommy141184 @ Dec 15 2006, 03:31 AM)
hey mate, What is TWES and HSMP? Is it all the courses that provided by uk universities can apply working visa within under these two terms? I am a final year student who is currently taking BSC transportation and logistics in portsmouth and i realised that my course is not under SEGS..so i am seeking other way to stay here after my study.
You don't need to look at HSMP if you're a fresh graduate.

http://www.ukimmigration.com/twes/uk_twes.htm <--- TWES

If you intend to stay here longer, TWES isn't the best option.

However, I'm sure your visa runs until Oct or a bit more next year. If you're keen on searching for a job, you should start now.

I started looking for work during this time of the year when everyone is busy partying about.

flora
post Dec 19 2006, 12:46 PM

Getting Started
58 posts

can i apply the holiday working maker to work in UK? Any one hav apply this b4? thumbup.gif
Felice821
post Dec 19 2006, 11:22 PM

Enthusiast
973 posts

QUOTE(flora @ Dec 19 2006, 12:46 PM)
can i apply the holiday working maker to work in UK? Any one hav apply this b4? thumbup.gif
Working Holiday Makers has been temporary suspended since 2md of April last year... so there is no hope on WHM for this moment...
feynman
post Dec 20 2006, 04:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(quintessential @ Dec 5 2006, 11:15 AM)
how about australia and canada. lotsa malaysians migrate there.
Don't bother about Canada, you need the Canadian experience to work here.

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0268sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 PM