> Old house to dream house

views

TSphoenixxx
post Oct 21 2015, 12:44 AM, updated 7y ago

Sesquipedalian hittin' the quasihemdemisemiquaver
1,232 posts

EDIT: realized the house dimension is 24x80, not 24x75

Hi sifus,

Embarking on the next stage of my life... and recently received keys for my "brand new" 40-year old house. It is a 24x80 double-storey link house. I hope this will be my dream home for the next 20-30 years at least and wish to obtain some guidance on my reno journey...

Still at a very early stage... looking to be an extremely daunting task not just on my pocket.

Guidance used:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Below are floor plan, details & budget:

1. Floor Plan
Attached Image Attached Image

2. What I hope to achieve with above budget:
1. Extension (per attached plan - red arrows)
2. Ground floor - retile (hacking the terrazo + tiling)
3. 1st floor - change from parquet to something like laminated flooring which I believe to be cheapest for "wood-feel flooring"
4. Plaster ceiling (both floors)
5. Repainting
6. Bathrooms - retile, change all the hardware
7. First floor bathrooms (Bath 3)- split into two, one for each room.
8. Grills
9. Lighting, fans, air con
10. Possible rewiring (due to age of property) - including adding socket points, concealing wiring
11. Possible repairs... don't anticipate much since I'm basically redoing big chunks of the house... roof maybe
12. Other hidden costs / things I missed out?
13. (edit) solar panel for water heater

3. Problems
1. Ground floor - currently the bathroom is venting out into the Yard (circled) which is really a glorified indoor garden - if I close it up (ie extend the dining area) what's the best way to ventilate the bathroom?
2 & 3. First floor - same problem as ground floor bathroom. Maybe bathroom 3 can be extended all the way to the back together with the rooms, then it will be no issue. For bathroom 2, the extension will surround it leaving no space to ventilate.

Is there anything I missed out? Basically, am trying to get those big-hassle items out of the way first. Will be engaging a few contractors for pricing (please share if you do know of any) and update.

Will try and add pictures soon.

This post has been edited by phoenixxx: Sep 27 2017, 10:36 AM
sonerin
post Oct 21 2015, 09:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(phoenixxx @ Oct 21 2015, 12:44 AM)
Hi sifus,

Embarking on the next stage of my life... and recently received keys for my "brand new" 40-year old house. It is a 24x75 double-storey link house. I hope this will be my dream home for the next 20-30 years at least and wish to obtain some guidance on my reno journey...

Still at a very early stage... looking to be an extremely daunting task not just on my pocket.

Guidance used:

1. Floor Plan

2. Budget (current): RM300k - Not rushing to renovate, if what I'm asking below is too much I'll wait / save money first

3. What I hope to achieve with above budget:
3. 1st floor - change from parquet to something like laminated flooring which I believe to be cheapest for "wood-feel flooring"
5. Repainting
8. Grills
10. Possible rewiring (due to age of property) - including adding socket points, concealing wiring
11. Possible repairs... don't anticipate much since I'm basically redoing big chunks of the house... roof maybe

4. Problems
1. Ground floor - currently the bathroom is venting out into the Yard (circled) which is really a glorified indoor garden - if I close it up (ie extend the dining area) what's the best way to ventilate the bathroom?
2 & 3. First floor - same problem as ground floor bathroom. Maybe bathroom 3 can be extended all the way to the back together with the rooms, then it will be no issue. For bathroom 2, the extension will surround it leaving no space to ventilate.

Is there anything I missed out? Basically, am trying to get those big-hassle items out of the way first. Will be engaging a few contractors for pricing (please share if you do know of any) and update.

Congrats on your new home. First thing first, as this is a 40 years old house so I will say is a must to change all wiring and piping as all of this are inside the walls which you cannot see if there is defect. Secondly, do all the surface things like flooring, walls, etc. Than only go with extension and other things like fixture and fittings. Now as for the budget goes, 300k is not that much with the number of major items to be done. Easily all wet works will take up 50% of your budget.

On the ventilation, not too worry about it just can get some ventilation fan to solve the problem. As for the ground floor yard, is nice to have rather extend it. Put some greenery into it and will serve you better than the just little extra space if you extend. Happy renovating
enduser
post Oct 21 2015, 10:21 AM

Regular
1,185 posts

Get the infra right first coz it involved hacking the surface again later on
1. Item rewiring include conduit for networking eg cctv/ lan etc

2. Water piping might need to be replaced

Iceman74
post Oct 21 2015, 12:31 PM

Regular
1,263 posts

Congratz on yr purchase. Look like u gonna do alot wet works, with current price going to increase very soon. It will be tough doing all u planning with the budget allocated.

All yr washrooms facing inside the house, that will major headache to relocated. Mine 1st floor back rooms similar with yrs. I didn't extended it to the end, only extended to same wall of the toilet with the rest area as balcony for my washing machine and drying cloth area.

Me also didn't relocated my ground floor toilet as the toilet wall is a support beam for upstair. Too much hassle and $$ just to realign and with all digging and relocate the indah water manhole(no big kitchen with island design)

This post has been edited by Iceman74: Oct 21 2015, 12:36 PM
cdspins
post Oct 22 2015, 03:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

Just my 2cents, as you will be extending 1st floor to the end, so the bath room is also extended and lengthen into 2 separate one, so each of them can have a window

As for the ground floor, you can enlarge the bath area to include into wash area since both area is going to be wet. In my opinion, you do not need the yard anymore, as there will be no sunlight as you already extend your 1st floor
chosenlc
post Oct 22 2015, 03:39 PM

Getting Started
143 posts

why car porch tepi living hall? allocate more space to ur living hall so ur house can look more grand and luxurious
MtV
post Oct 23 2015, 08:50 AM

Starry Starry Skies
1,685 posts

I can suggest you this contractor Edmon, which lot of lowyat user actually did engage him smile.gif
Jackson0129
post Oct 23 2015, 10:35 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(phoenixxx @ Oct 21 2015, 12:44 AM)
Hi sifus,

Embarking on the next stage of my life... and recently received keys for my "brand new" 40-year old house. It is a 24x75 double-storey link house. I hope this will be my dream home for the next 20-30 years at least and wish to obtain some guidance on my reno journey...

Guidance used:

1. Floor Plan

2. Budget (current): RM300k - Not rushing to renovate, if what I'm asking below is too much I'll wait / save money first

3. What I hope to achieve with above budget:
5. Repainting
8. Grills

4. Problems

Congratz to you on having a nice plan to renovate your house, but it seem like didn't have an actual plan to run it. Do you need any consult from ID company? I can recommend a company for you since they renovated my neighbor's house nicely. If you need it just pm me, i will ask the ID company's contact from my neighbor. ^^
TSphoenixxx
post Oct 24 2015, 07:08 PM

1,232 posts

Managed to take pictures only today, most days too busy to visit the house. Thanks for all the comments so far, all being taken into consideration.

Edit: not sure why some picture appear rotated. They look correctly rotated on my computer. Sorry for any unintended neck exercise while I figure out what the hell is wrong with my pictures sleep.gif

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

This post has been edited by phoenixxx: Sep 27 2017, 10:38 AM
sonerin
post Oct 24 2015, 07:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Definitely very old house but overall condition still good from the pictures. The floor is parquet is definitely something to replace.
windwong
post Oct 24 2015, 08:56 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

1. I will extend the groundfloor toilet to the wash area and vent to backlane. Access utility from the dinning. Ill even consider to access toilet from dinning> utility > toilet.

Knock the kitchen dinning wall to make one open space with island/peninsula in btw.

2. I will remodel the masterbedroom toilet to the side. Not hard as you are already doing a whole new room above your porch. the existing toilet will be a good spot for walking closet. Also, brand new toilet in your master will be a highlight

3. for the 2 smaller bathroom remodelling, I will hesitate to touch cause U are gaining only little usable squarefoot but the work will be huge. I will leave it and spend the money just on re-tiling, changing the vanity and toilet bowl. give them refresh but not total remodel.

By the way, nice house! do update us on the progress

windwong
post Oct 24 2015, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

and also, 300k can do a lots of work with the size of your new house. With these money, I will suggest to hire a good architect that can help you in all the facilitate, including wet work and interior design. Save your time and your money!
chinyen
post Oct 24 2015, 09:16 PM

Enthusiast
754 posts

I would place the ventilator abovevthe toilet door if there is no other choice..your hse in kl? Can i hv your parquet pieces after you remove them? Thank you..
JohnW
post Oct 24 2015, 11:03 PM

4 posts

There are fans for bathroom ventilation which activate when you turn on light in the bathroom. This may help if you don't prefer natural ventilation.
megahertz
post Oct 25 2015, 01:09 AM

i always smiling, problem?
1,843 posts

QUOTE(JohnW @ Oct 24 2015, 11:03 PM)
There are fans for bathroom ventilation which activate when you turn on light in the bathroom. This may help if you don't prefer natural ventilation.
is the fan and the light is using same circuit ?
my house got same issue and design with TS, when extend, the bathroom will be in the middle of the house which no ventilation.
thinking to put fan using same circuit with light, so 1switch will turn on both, save money on new wiring/socket for fans.
kkh86
post Nov 7 2015, 02:26 AM

30 posts

Let me know if u need my contractor contact.
donald88
post Nov 7 2015, 02:35 AM

Casual
357 posts

Terrazzo and parquet flooring are actually very nice once you polish them up and fill up the gaps.
noien
post Nov 7 2015, 07:40 AM

Getting Started
3,115 posts

QUOTE(megahertz @ Oct 25 2015, 01:09 AM)
is the fan and the light is using same circuit ?
my house got same issue and design with TS, when extend, the bathroom will be in the middle of the house which no ventilation.
thinking to put fan using same circuit with light, so 1switch will turn on both, save money on new wiring/socket for fans.
yes,same
using this as well.
halcyon27
post Nov 7 2015, 06:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

Congratulations on your journey. I used to live around that area just opposite end side away from the hospital but nearer the mall if I'm guessing it right. This house has character esp upper floors.

A few things to share from what I learnt w double story landed.
1. Tiles for living looks nice but is the main enemy in terms of creature comfort requiring AC to cool during the weekends or early evening unless there's a garden with trees. Broken marble is better for climate control purposes. Look up the thread on Venetian plaster wall by Hachilifestyle. I'm broken marble convert and have used it in my new place. Even in the heat of the afternoon and evening sun, it stays cool and somewhat dryer (less humid) because of what it does by nature (absorb excess humidity) which tiles cannot do.

2. If you're where I think you are, you're in luck. The best roof insulation guys is one taman away. When I moved in 7 years ago, my roof started creaking at night when there's strong wind. Next day went to the back and saw that there are roof turbine ventilators. Found out that the guys one Taman away doesn't just sell roof vent solutions, they insulate also and with one of the best. Install a combo of both and you won't regret. They can advise you on how to do. Even better to have them in before installing solar if that's the plan.

3. Bathroom tiles must be rough. If you have kids or elderlies in the household, this point cannot be emphasised enough. Heard and know of cases involving ppl, friends or relatives and a couple were tragically fatal. Cotto from jubin BMS is my preferred. Simple test is to ask for cup of plain water and pour over the tile sample. Put your bare foot on it and drag along the length of it. If it feels slippery even if there's grip, it's not up to task. Rough means rough.

4.Dark areas can be addressed with natural tubular lighting. They are already available locally. Areas like toilets, walk in wardrobe, stairwell. I was tempted to do one for the kitchen which was always in perpetual darkness.

5. Mechanical ventilation at strategic places produces cross ventilation ie front-back and bottom-up. Use it to good effect esp by timing it to run early in the am when it's cooler. At night, esp when outside temperature is cooler, it helps by bringing the cool in faster. Remember that a dwelling place is a structure that potentially stores heat. Heat expands outwards e.g. oven. Mechanical ventilation by using extractor fans is fit for purpose. Even clothes dry faster (esp if front load washed). Only time when it's not to be used is when AC is turned on.

6. Flexible partitioning helps esp dining living. Adds character to those spaces too.

7. Louvre windows ventilates best. There are styles that allows 4 bottom panes to be close whilst the upper 4 can be open. Separate action.

8. Parquet if still in good condition can be polished matte. I've seen it done before to good effect.

9. Vent ground floor toilet, to the back roof using extractor fan and cap. That will draw air in from the yard space rather then it venting out to the yard.

First floor extension is easier to do in the next Taman than yours. Think you'll have a serious challenge with the local council. Next Taman is FT.
TSphoenixxx
post Nov 7 2015, 08:15 PM

1,232 posts

Thanks all for the replies. Been busy seeing contractors, so nothing really to update here. So far prices range from 120k - 200+k on rough estimates.

Given the option, I would agree to keep the terrazo & parquet however the main concern is only to match the flooring of the new extended areas. The few contractors I've spoken with says new terrazo will be off-colour compared to the existing even after polish.

After getting a better feel of the prices (probably easily 200k) I'm now in cost-cutting mode to try and save some cost for other things (solar, grills, etc etc all not counted yet).

From the original plan, I've decided:
1) not to extend one of the back rooms to preserve the inner yard
2) if possible, maintain flooring - ground & 1st floor
3) not sure if I need 3 phase. There's a 3-phase thread that I've been reading so far but havent really come to a conclusion yet (40 pages sweat.gif ). It seems the safer and costlier way of course is to do 3-phase.

However, there's a potential hidden cost that I've not really factored in - the roof - depending on condition, might be a headache.

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Nov 7 2015, 06:32 PM)
Congratulations on your journey. I used to live around that area just opposite end side away from the hospital but nearer the mall if I'm guessing it right. This house has character esp upper floors.

A few things to share from what I learnt w double story landed.
1. Tiles for living looks nice but is the main enemy in terms of creature comfort requiring AC to cool during the weekends or early evening unless there's a garden with trees. Broken marble is better for climate control purposes. Look up the thread on Venetian plaster wall by Hachilifestyle. I'm broken marble convert and have used it in my new place. Even in the heat of the afternoon and evening sun, it stays cool and somewhat dryer (less humid) because of what it does by nature (absorb excess humidity) which tiles cannot do.

Yes, I agree and with personal experience too. Marble / terrazo is definitely more cooling than tiles. To save cost, I am requesting samples from contractors to see just how different / off colour they will be compared with current. If acceptable, I'll maintain the terrazo. Otherwise, hard to match tiles (new extension area) with terrazo.

2. If you're where I think you are, you're in luck. The best roof insulation guys is one taman away. When I moved in 7 years ago, my roof started creaking at night when there's strong wind. Next day went to the back and saw that there are roof turbine ventilators. Found out that the guys one Taman away doesn't just sell roof vent solutions, they insulate also and with one of the best. Install a combo of both and you won't regret. They can advise you on how to do. Even better to have them in before installing solar if that's the plan.

Would you mind sharing their details? My house is at an angle to the afternoon sun, eventhough not directly, I think it's gonna get warm.

3. Bathroom tiles must be rough. If you have kids or elderlies in the household, this point cannot be emphasised enough. Heard and know of cases involving ppl, friends or relatives and a couple were tragically fatal. Cotto from jubin BMS is my preferred. Simple test is to ask for cup of plain water and pour over the tile sample. Put your bare foot on it and drag along the length of it. If it feels slippery even if there's grip, it's not up to task. Rough means rough.

Agreed - no debate here.

4.Dark areas can be addressed with natural tubular lighting. They are already available locally. Areas like toilets, walk in wardrobe, stairwell. I was tempted to do one for the kitchen which was always in perpetual darkness.

I have trouble picturing what "natural tubular lighting" is. Not sure if the google images are showing the ones you mean as well. My kitchen, even during daytime is almost pitch black.

5. Mechanical ventilation at strategic places produces cross ventilation ie front-back and bottom-up. Use it to good effect esp by timing it to run early in the am when it's cooler. At night, esp when outside temperature is cooler, it helps by bringing the cool in faster. Remember that a dwelling place is a structure that potentially stores heat. Heat expands outwards e.g. oven. Mechanical ventilation by using extractor fans is fit for purpose. Even clothes dry faster (esp if front load washed). Only time when it's not to be used is when AC is turned on.

I might install a few in the toilets. Will definitely consider if budget allows.

6. Flexible partitioning helps esp dining living. Adds character to those spaces too.

No comment for now.

7. Louvre windows ventilates best. There are styles that allows 4 bottom panes to be close whilst the upper 4 can be open. Separate action.

House comes with the usual push out / pull in windows. Actually prefer these due to less dust gathering on the louvres - not my priority to change tongue.gif

8. Parquet if still in good condition can be polished matte. I've seen it done before to good effect.

Torn on this. I don't really like parquet. Plus, after a while, it starts coming loose especially if you always mop the floor. If cost allows, I prefer laminate for the wooden feel.

9. Vent ground floor toilet, to the back roof using extractor fan and cap. That will draw air in from the yard space rather then it venting out to the yard.

Agreed. The yard is actually awesome, now that I've visited my house a few times. Natural lighting, and a good breeze occasionally. It's the reason why I've decided not to extend the room above it - to avoid losing the airwell. Save some money too.

First floor extension is easier to do in the next Taman than yours. Think you'll have a serious challenge with the local council. Next Taman is FT.

This is the next part I'm worried about. In terms of time, and potential grease money. I suspect that's how things work as the normal proper way will probably leave my application permanently at the bottom of the pile. I plan to ask the contractor to do it for me since this is a major renovation. They might have more experience. And yes, mine is in Selangor.
This post has been edited by phoenixxx: Nov 7 2015, 08:31 PM

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.48    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:56 PM