Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Any guppy fans here?, come come come

views

SUScopadelrey
post Nov 18 2006, 08:42 PM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
245 posts

Come and post your pictures of those beloved guppies. No longkang guppies okay!
SUScopadelrey
post Nov 19 2006, 01:08 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Attached Image Nah, my nicest guppy
SUScopadelrey
post Nov 19 2006, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Attached Image Oh ya, this is my cousin's one, damn nice!!!!!
SUScopadelrey
post Nov 19 2006, 01:20 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(jaspery27 @ Nov 19 2006, 03:51 AM)
wat u mean "longkaohu" ahhh? sigh, "paiseh" lo, how u define the "longkaohu" ahh? my one just red and blue tux nia wow, post urs la, fast fast fast, cant wait to c  drool.gif  drool.gif  drool.gif  drool.gif
Longkang guppies are the ones where you can find in longkangs and streams or ponds. They have very faint colours (yellow, orange, small blue dots) and the male is smaller compared to the 'nice' guppies.
SUScopadelrey
post Nov 24 2006, 10:45 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(andyjyneo @ Nov 20 2006, 04:11 AM)
i've been finding this guppy thread for a long time
finally there's one
so let's start discussing about guppies!
thanks, thread-starter for starting this thread
No probelm dude biggrin.gif
SUScopadelrey
post Nov 24 2006, 10:51 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(HaM7 @ Nov 21 2006, 11:16 AM)
i have a guppy that it's tail is larger than the fish, and damn long the fish plus the tail, around 4 -5 cm
Show the pic lah drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif
SUScopadelrey
post Oct 24 2010, 10:38 AM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(unknown warrior @ Oct 24 2010, 12:45 AM)
what's the secret of keeping guppy alive?
Mine like so hard to maintain.
Guppy is one of the easiest to rare. Care to explain your tank's environment so we can help.

QUOTE(LadyVanity @ Oct 24 2010, 01:27 AM)
hey guys... needs some advice regarding guppy keeping.
my mom used to hv some really beautiful fancy guppies... mix of males and females which she kept in an ornamental fountain bowl outside in our porch. unfortunately these fish seem to only last a few weeks at max... they die off very fast until finally left 1-2 fishies. thn my mom will buy some more guppies, and then all die off again only left 1-2 fish. we have once kept the 2 remaining survivors, and they stuck around for a very long time. i think the fish may b fighting, tho ive never seen that happening myself. are guppies known to attack each other or fight? yawn.gif

btw the temp of the porch is cool. it is in the shade, far from direct sunlight, next to the front door. we have an airstone and electric oxygen pump. water is changed frequently and we never allow algae to overgrow/water turn green. feeding with tetra brand guppy food. cant figure out whats wrong.
Guppies don't fight, or at least they don't fight to death.

You can ditch the oxygen pump, guppies don't need that.

Do you put antichlorine pills when you change water?

How deep is the pond, because anything more than 4 feet deep isn't good for guppies.

And you don't have to keep the tank/pond super clean. In fact, guppies thrive in greenish water full of algae and even worms haha. That way, you don't even have to feed em.
SUScopadelrey
post Oct 25 2010, 06:21 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(LadyVanity @ Oct 24 2010, 09:02 PM)
without d oxygen pump they seemed to die faster.....  rclxub.gif

the "pond" is a shallow dish actually. under 1ft at the deepest point.

yes, we use antichlorine.  we hv even tried letting the water "stand" for a day before putting the fish in...
I'm 100% positive they don't need the oxygen pump unless you have like 1000 guppies in a small little tank.

How does your guppies die? Do you see the carcasses? Are their fins still intact?

QUOTE(unknown warrior @ Oct 24 2010, 11:57 PM)
Basic Glass Tank, Filter Pump, Plastic Plants and Aquarium Light.
Tank is about 30cm x 30 cm.

Previously I bought a smaller tank about 19cm x 17cm.
Same thing Filter Pump, Plastic Plants with cover.
This one all died. Dunno why. I think it's the way I change the water. Changed it every week but didn't leave the old water enough for them to stabilize..

The new bigger tank I didn't even change the water yet but 1 week plus, 1 male died, the rest still alive.
Suspect maybe lizard? (cicak?) bcos it doesn't have a cover. Noticed a small white patch on top of the fish.

BTW the new tank, got new fries, removed it and move it to smaller tank. About only 12 of them.  sad.gif

heard guppies can breed about 20-30 fries per female.
It's quite possible that the one fish (in bigger tank) died naturally, meaning, it wasn't your fault. I doubt it's the lizard.

And yes, you must keep about 30-40% of the tank's water when you change water. And don't suddenly drain away or add in too much water because the fishes need to have the water pressure and temperature stabilized. And don't forget to add antichlorine or season/stand the water for the chlorine to get out.

And it's normal for mother guppies to give birth to 10+ fries. It varies. Depends a lot on the breed of guppies that you have.

and another advice is to change water ASAP when you see one fish with bald scales, kinda like white patches around the body. Because it's a fungal infection and it can spread. So before buying any guppies from a shop, look at the tank, see if there are any dead guppies with white spots or missing scales in the tank. Even if you were to buy a healthy one from the tank, you'll be most likely buying an infection for the rest of your healthy guppies at home.
SUScopadelrey
post Oct 26 2010, 07:55 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(unknown warrior @ Oct 25 2010, 11:05 PM)
The normal feeding is once per day right?

I have 4 guppies and 12 fries in separate tanks.

Another thing, Yea the one that died, I notice there a small white patch near the fin. Quickly removed it, the rest of the adult guppies still alive.

Just changed water today, left 50% of the old water, top it up and added anti chlorine.

Another thing, after giving birth, why is the female guppy losing it's color? Like pale only. Then I notice one of them slowly regaining it's color.
It's quite hard to notice any colour change on a female guppy because they are mostly colourless. As long as the female doesn't die, don't worry LOL.

QUOTE(nick67 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:32 PM)
Guys, I have quite a large aquarium with me here, and I plan to fill it up with plenty of guppy(actually I want to buy a few and let it breed so I can enjoy the whole growing process). Is it ok to have a lot of guppies in one aquarium? Any tips on rearing guppies?
Yes. For tips, read the whole thread, and google, and read. Trust me, it's a very rewarding past time activity.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0600sec    0.44    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 PM