Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Smart Home, Let's discuss

babyk
post Apr 19 2015, 11:24 AM

BANNED 101/100(tm) : Your avatar too sexy
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 18 2015, 02:53 PM)
The unit is still running on energy. There is nothing is zero energy. And the energy that run on this controller unit is worth benefit to me?

I don't really need to ON the aircon and light before I reach home. It doesn't save my bill this way. I doesn't need a phone to control everything. When the step to ON a device is too many and take time.

This is really my experience that I try before many many yrs.
Yeah, it's not so common now, wait until it's a trend, then everyone will be using it

Similar to smart phone, they used to say smart phone are useless but then now what? The person who said that is using smart phone doh.gif

Wait till Apple launch smart home, every single home will be using it laugh.gif
ozak
post Apr 19 2015, 01:55 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(paskal @ Apr 19 2015, 09:13 AM)
sure. because it didn't work for you, i'm sure it won't work for anyone else.

cheers
Nope. I m open mind. I want to know more what it can do. Something new, trend etc. Beside as a luxury thing.

I m go through all this as what you guys go through now. New house. Full of idea, ambitious and energy.
ozak
post Apr 19 2015, 02:04 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(MechaLEE @ Apr 19 2015, 09:27 AM)
i know it is a trend now to have "advance state-of-the-art" automatic home control, like sci fi movies....some even have voice / retina / biometric recognition n all....... but.......i can say that home automation has more cons

1) when thunderstorm n lightning (u know malaysia, tropical country) , zappp..... system fried
2) it is quite expensive
3) if u go for biometric control, ur eyes / fingers may be chopped off when thief rob u at ur doorstep
4) it makes u fat n lazy (by not physically moving to switch on something)
5) it makes u more "stupid", ur brain work less (especially when using timer control, u dont need to remember what time to ON the perimeter lights, or OFF the fan, etc  etc)
Actually not entirely cons.

You know what, nowadays every house have some sort of home automation/smart. It is just we don't realize it. It blend into our life along we grow.

ozak
post Apr 19 2015, 02:17 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(babyk @ Apr 19 2015, 11:24 AM)
Yeah, it's not so common now, wait until it's a trend, then everyone will be using it

Similar to smart phone, they used to say smart phone are useless but then now what? The person who said that is using smart phone doh.gif

Yup. It is not common. Cause the price. And we are not an advance nation. If the smart home can sell at like below 5k, I guess many developer will include into their design.

MechaLEE
post Apr 19 2015, 02:24 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(babyk @ Apr 19 2015, 11:24 AM)

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 19 2015, 02:17 PM)
Yup. It is not common. Cause the price. And we are not an advance nation. If the smart home can sell at like below 5k, I guess many developer will include into their design.
wait till Xiaomi launches smart home system
Apple smarthome RM15k
Xiaomi smarthome RM1k

haha
babyk
post Apr 19 2015, 02:43 PM

QUOTE(MechaLEE @ Apr 19 2015, 02:24 PM)
wait till Xiaomi launches smart home system
Apple smarthome RM15k
Xiaomi smarthome RM1k

haha
But then if that's the case, Xiaomi will steal your house information worth millions of dollars and apple won't laugh.gif
idoblu
post Apr 19 2015, 05:37 PM

Lazada Investigation Unit

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 19 2015, 01:55 PM)
Nope. I m open mind. I want to know more what it can do. Something new, trend etc. Beside as a luxury thing.

I m go through all this as what you guys go through now. New house. Full of idea, ambitious and energy.

I agree with you. I love gadgets but I don't see much use for all these automation. Do I need to turn on/off lights at a certain time? No. Maybe just one or two. Do I need to tell my Aircon to turn on before my arrival? Nope. And then those home automation promo videos always show kettle boil water, make your coffee etc automatically in the morning.....you think who is going to put water in the kettle or coffee into the coffee maker? If got robot Asimo do for you then can lah.

Besides turning on/off a few lights, I don't see much use for it. Sure it's very cool to have but the cost out weighs the benefits.

Fast forward Jan 2018 - getting my home Xiaomified πŸ˜…

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 12 2018, 06:18 PM
babyk
post Apr 19 2015, 06:15 PM

QUOTE(idoblu @ Apr 19 2015, 05:37 PM)
I agree with you. I love gadgets but I don't see much use for all these automation. Do I need to turn on/off lights at a certain time? No. Maybe just one or two. Do I need to tell my Aircon to turn on before my arrival? Nope. And then those home automation promo videos always show kettle boil water, make your coffee etc automatically in the morning.....you think who is going to put water in the kettle or coffee into the coffee maker? If got robot Asimo do for you then can lah.

Besides turning on/off a few lights, I don't see much use for it. Sure it's very cool to have but the cost out weighs the benefits.
would you consider if the device cost is RM150 and it can control things from your smartphone?
idoblu
post Apr 19 2015, 06:24 PM

QUOTE(babyk @ Apr 19 2015, 06:15 PM)
would you consider if the device cost is RM150 and it can control things from your smartphone?
Even Rm1500 I will consider just for the cool factor but is it really helpful in my daily life? I think not really lah. Btw 30 years ago I already playing with x10 devices. I bought a simple system - can turn on/off appliances, lights at a set time. Can also use remote to control.m
ozak
post Apr 19 2015, 07:00 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(idoblu @ Apr 19 2015, 05:37 PM)

Actually such ads did fool me before. sad.gif Young and naΓ―ve ma. biggrin.gif

So I experience all this so call remote control gadget la, automation la, smart thing la, bla bla bla gadget. Than realize, what the hell am I doing. What an idiot to turn ON the light before I set foot in my home. When time pass, 1 by 1 thing get clearly and understand the stupidness I am with such an automation thing.

And now I see people repeat the same thing that I go through. Same reason given that from the saleman and ads. Of course with a new trend, twist and some modify.

But the smart/automation didn't die from my brain. I still pickup some smart/automation which I think is really really usefull. That worth the energy that I pay every mth. Well, technology is my work.

idoblu
post Apr 19 2015, 07:11 PM

No need apa smart home. Give me motorized roller blinds with remote also I happy liao. China selling so cheap those motors but over here they wants tens of thousand ringgit.
babyk
post Apr 19 2015, 07:15 PM

QUOTE(idoblu @ Apr 19 2015, 07:11 PM)
No need apa smart home. Give me motorized roller blinds with remote also I happy liao. China selling so cheap those motors but over here they wants tens of thousand ringgit.
Everything with remote is smart laugh.gif
idoblu
post Apr 19 2015, 07:34 PM

QUOTE(babyk @ Apr 19 2015, 07:15 PM)
Everything with remote is smart laugh.gif
Not really smart la. remote control still needs a human to press press πŸ˜…
All individual devices.
babyk
post Apr 19 2015, 07:39 PM

QUOTE(idoblu @ Apr 19 2015, 07:34 PM)
Not really smart la. remote control still needs a human to press press πŸ˜…
All individual devices.
That is why the smart device consolidate all devices into one and you can control everything from your phone inside or outside of the house laugh.gif
ozak
post Apr 19 2015, 07:44 PM

10k Club

Get the motor and diy la.
idoblu
post Apr 19 2015, 07:51 PM

QUOTE(babyk @ Apr 19 2015, 07:39 PM)
That is why the smart device consolidate all devices into one and you can control everything from your phone inside or outside of the house laugh.gif
In another words a smart home is nothing more than a huge remote control
weikee
post Apr 19 2015, 08:09 PM

10k Club

Get yourself few arduino, some add on relay, sensors, with some programing you got yourself fully control house, and as smart as you can program.
ozak
post Apr 19 2015, 08:16 PM

10k Club

Ah, remind me back my curtain project. Thought DIY. But seeing the price, better just order from china.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-retra...1465630904.html

idoblu
post Apr 20 2015, 08:05 AM

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 19 2015, 08:16 PM)
Ah, remind me back my curtain project. Thought DIY. But seeing the price, better just order from china.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-retra...1465630904.html
You got plaster ceiling near your curtains?
I don't have. How to get power to the motor?
weikee
post Apr 20 2015, 08:17 AM

10k Club

QUOTE(idoblu @ Apr 20 2015, 08:05 AM)
You got plaster ceiling near your curtains?
I don't have. How to get power to the motor?
Pull from lighting point lo.

92 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0717sec    4.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 09:13 PM