Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [FAQ] PC Restart/Auto Restart Problems, all question relating to these problems

AsenDURE
post Sep 29 2006, 04:35 PM, updated 12y ago

je suis desole. je n'y crois pas a ces conneries!!
Group Icon
Group: VIP

Isolating problems thru elimination process. - the BASIC tech support 101 prerequisite.
1. When you are not sure what the problem is, remove everything from the chasis. Set up your PC with minimum configuration, that is, Mobo (motherboard), CPU, RAM and GC and see if it POST and boots. If it doesn't then, beg, borrow or steal, try to swap these components with working ones (make sure it's working and it's compatible as well). See which component fails.

2. If it POST properly then slowly add your other components (Hard Drive, Optical Drive, Modem, etc) and repeat process 1 for each. Don't forget that the connectors (IDE cables, SATA cables, etc) should be swapped and tested too as any regular components).

If you press the power button and nothing happens (no lights, no sound, no fans, etc.) then this issue is not a NO POST but is an power related issue. If you are uncertain if the computer is turning on or not, this can be easily checked by locating any fans in the computer or visible from the outside of the computer. If these fans are spinning, the computer is receiving power and this document may not apply to your issue. Some motherboards also have a LED light that indicates that there is power coming from the PSU (Power Supply Unit).

1. Connections connected properly - check you are plugged in lah >_>
Verify that the power connection is connected properly to the wall and the back of the computer. If you have a power strip (surge protector) or switch used to turn everything on at once, temporarily disconnect the computer from that switch and connect that cable directly to the wall. This will help verify that the strip or switch is not bad. Verify that the outlet works by connecting a different device like a TV, Radio to it.

2. New hardware
If additional hardware has been recently added to the computer it is recommend that you temporarily disconnect that device or devices from the computer to verify they are not preventing your computer from turning on.

3. Bad power cable
Verify that the cable supplying your computer is not bad or damaged by using another power cable. Borrow the cable from your CRT monitor or even your electric cooker/kettle.

4. PSU, power button, and/or power board or inverter
If problem still persists then try to test with another PSU. beg, borrow or steal too. Check that your power button to mobo (motherboard) is not faulty (you may swap it with the reset button).

Troubleshooting POST Problems [New Assembly]
1. Check that no part of your motherboard is touching the casing bare metal or motherboard tray. It is a good idea to layer a piece of foam/sponge between the motherboard and the casing to prevent any contact. You can also opt to layer duct tape for the screw holders/motherboard mount brackets. This is to prevent a short circuit which can lead to anything from the PC not switching on to restart or even damaged mobo.

2. Refer to elimination process steps above.

Troubleshooting POST Problems ["old" pc] - "old" here refers to a PC that is up and running before as opposed to one that is currently being assembled.

1. Did your computer beep at you when you tried to start it?
almost all computers run a series of diagnostic tests called a "Power On Self Test" ( POST) when they start up. Only after POST is passed does the computer try to load the OS (operating system). When the POST is successfully completed, the computer beeps once.

If the computer beeps more than once, or if it doesn't beep at all, it means POST has failed and never even got to the OS loading. That indicates a problem with the hardware, or occasionally the BIOS . Multiple beeps means that the computer is trying to tell you what's wrong. Each BIOS vendor (such as AMI and VIA) has their own "Beep Codes", but here are some common examples of what the codes mean. There are some common beeps though,

a. one long continious beep - RAM is loose/lost contact.
b. multiple beeps with pause in betwen - GC (graphics card) is loose.

p.s-some of the newer computers have LED's that light up that indicate the error or have a sound file to indicate the error. RTFM (read the freaking manual - yes. your mobo manual!) !

To rectify, take a eraser and rub along the gold fingers. Use compressed air and blow the slots clear of dirt/dust. Replace and make sure the contacts are not loose.

user posted image

2. Check that your Capacitors not bloated/leaking. Technicians call this big nose. If it is get it changed/replace or it's time to get it changed.

user posted image user posted image

4. Clear your CMOS. Locate the jumper by RTFM or remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes.

user posted image

other forumers, please feel free to contribute. Once this thred gains momentum, it'll be unpinned and tagged official.

This post has been edited by AsenDURE: Sep 29 2006, 05:54 PM
AsenDURE
post Sep 29 2006, 04:58 PM

je suis desole. je n'y crois pas a ces conneries!!
Group Icon
Group: VIP

Further info on Bad Capacitors, please refer to Lex's thread here:

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=341368
binks
post Nov 6 2006, 05:20 PM

I'm BINKS ...
Group: Senior Member

hie there, just wanna check wit your guyz. ..

i recently change my PSU fan form iCUTE to a cap ayam (due to spoil edi) ...
aftre changing that thing my Computer alwis seems to be havign this auto restard issues ..
izzit happen bcuz of the PSU overheated issues?
Peanutz
post Nov 6 2006, 05:43 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(binks @ Nov 6 2006, 05:20 PM)
hie there, just wanna check wit your guyz. ..

i recently change my PSU fan form iCUTE to a cap ayam (due to spoil edi) ...
aftre changing that thing my Computer alwis seems to be havign this auto restard issues ..
izzit happen bcuz of the PSU overheated issues?
Stick to your thread please.
mosfet
post Dec 4 2006, 11:02 AM

Getting Started

I'm not sure if my question relevent to this post
What if the PC just turn off suddenly and occurs after several minutes of usage every time you start your PC?
No restart just shutdown .. like when blackout occurs ...
Is it the same symptoms?
Edi8888
post Dec 9 2006, 09:46 AM

MyViVa Owner

QUOTE(mosfet @ Dec 4 2006, 11:02 AM)
I'm not sure if my question relevent to this post
What if the PC just turn off suddenly and occurs after several minutes of usage every time you start your PC?
No restart just shutdown .. like when blackout occurs ...
Is it the same symptoms?
your on off switch sort? i hav same case b4... and i found out is my button sort....

This post has been edited by Edi8888: Dec 9 2006, 09:46 AM
sam240
post Dec 11 2006, 03:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Edi8888 @ Dec 9 2006, 09:46 AM)
your on off switch sort? i hav same case b4... and i found out is my button sort....
Sometime is just your software problem....format and re-install can check this out....after fresh instllation, just ghost and back up for all (next time can re-ghost back)
For hardware problem, should be your mobo problem like mention above...or maybe is your PSU power problem, what kind of PSU you are using it now?
Hope this would help something on your mind smile.gif

spr173
post Dec 12 2006, 01:07 PM

Getting Started

i have almost similar problem but mine kept restarting after like 5 min booted up. 1st thought software problem but half way installing windows restarted again.
Anyone can help me with this problem? i already tried ticking off the automatically restart as suggested in the system tab. But it still restart so maybe hardware problem liao?

i am using cooler master 400w psu
athlon 64 3000+ ( 754)
512mb ram x 2 ( kingston )
asus K8N4-E SE
gigabyte X1650 pro
-=nexus=-
post Dec 17 2006, 10:09 PM

Casual

i'm not sure what happen to my pc... it just restart automatic when i restart the router
-vip3rleon9-
post Dec 18 2006, 12:31 AM

.:νιρэяıэои9:.

ok. my RAMS are fine. PSU is good. HDD and optical drives functioning properly. why does my pc still reboot by itself?

and everytime it does, the settings in the BIOS will change by itself. doh.gif and only the boot sequence settings will be affected. is it my mobo cuz i suspect it to be burnt after that big thunderstorm.

and besides rebooting itself, my pc has this problem of not bring able to boot into Windows at all. it just hangs after the BIOS and memory test screen. then i cannot do anything. only to restart and wish for Windows to load. not too sure if this is the proper section. sorry if it isn't.

anyone can help me cuz this is getting annoying.

thanx. wink.gif
Valiant
post Dec 21 2006, 03:11 PM

Getting Started

Hi all,

i've recently opened up my office pc's PSU which is a chap ayam one. I was shock because the power supply is really a save cost one, it uses only 2 or 3 caps rated <1000uF for the 12V n 5V. And further more, it replaced the coil/inductor which is possible with a jumper.

then after i changed the PSU oredi, the system went smooth. No more restart or power down. Because last time when i connect 2 hdd with cdrom it does not start, when i disconnect 1 of the hdd then it started but when i put a cd in my drive it restart and won't start...

Lessons: Please buy a decent PSU when u CAN.

biggrin.gif
Kay
post Dec 21 2006, 08:43 PM

Can anyone help me with my minidump file?

here its the my pc history: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/383847

This post has been edited by Kay: Dec 21 2006, 09:04 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  minidump.zip ( 161.07k ) Number of downloads: 55
samliang
post Dec 29 2006, 11:25 AM

❤❤❤❤❤

the auto restart onli comes when i am playing warcraft III dota .... i dunno why sometimes it restart and sometimes it doesnt restart ... anyone have clue to solve it ? thx in advance
loveyourenemy
post Jan 4 2007, 09:20 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(-vip3rleon9- @ Dec 18 2006, 12:31 AM)
ok. my RAMS are fine. PSU is good. HDD and optical drives functioning properly. why does my pc still reboot by itself?

and everytime it does, the settings in the BIOS will change by itself. doh.gif and only the boot sequence settings will be affected. is it my mobo cuz i suspect it to be burnt after that big thunderstorm.

and besides rebooting itself, my pc has this problem of not bring able to boot into Windows at all. it just hangs after the BIOS and memory test screen. then i cannot do anything. only to restart and wish for Windows to load. not too sure if this is the proper section. sorry if it isn't.

thanx. wink.gif
Hi there,

Few possibility, for my own case. What i did is to change a new power supply. Cost around RM130 - RM 200, and now my problem fixed. For what i know power supply do play a big part in the CPU stability. Cheers thumbup.gif
EmperorMeng
post Jan 5 2007, 02:23 AM

Jom Whaling

my com.. syok syok will blackout..
then the led all flicker gila
then i kick kick bang bang
off power, on again. ok d
a few mins/hrs/days more same prob again.. haha
Dennos
post Jan 8 2007, 07:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(-vip3rleon9- @ Dec 18 2006, 12:31 AM)

thanx. wink.gif
try check ur hard disk!! use Active Smart software to scan ur SMART value.
Musta1987
post Jan 15 2007, 01:27 AM

im playing this game

http://www.tantra.ph/gameguide2/gam.htm

and im using radeonx700 can o not?

suddenly auto-restart,y ah???

sum1 help me lor....
DigitalKL
post Jan 15 2007, 05:49 PM

Regular

My problem began when I had a power failure. The power from Tenaga went off. Since I have a UPS, I began a shutdown and when Tenaga came back on, I on back my pc but it keeps rebooting itself. It got as far as showing the Windows Welcome logo but thats it, it will reboot itself from there.

I cant enter safe mode either. Eventually I got fedup and try repairing windows by inserting my windows xp cd in and boot from cd. I think it didnt detected i had a previous version of XP in there because it didnt give me any option to Repair. Never mind, I reinstall again. Guess what?

After many many tries, I think I might have install altogether 4 Windows XP in my PC. Is that possible?

Anyway it showed me boot from a selection of 4 Windows XP - all the same name. So far I can boot from one of those selection but when I went in, its a totally new install.

I looked in File Explorer and sure enough there is 3 sets Administrator and 4 sets of User and 4 sets of Windows folder.

How do I uninstall the rest of them?

What must I do? I never encounter such problems before - Please HELP icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by DigitalKL: Jan 15 2007, 05:50 PM
DigitalKL
post Jan 16 2007, 10:40 AM

Regular

the above problem was caused by this program that i installed a day earlier - Nitro PDF

Beware!!!
chua83
post Jan 19 2007, 12:30 PM

Getting Started

wow... thanks for the info...

29 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1004sec    3.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st February 2018 - 09:25 AM