44 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Small Form Factor (SFF) V4, Mini but Mighty

views

Scirwode
post Feb 16 2015, 05:39 PM

Getting Started
142 posts

Hi All, this is my first time posting here. I've been a notebook user since 2002 and have recently sold my Asus G60 as I do not really use it. My last experience building a PC was 13 years ago! I still have a Macbook Pro but lately I have been thinking of going back to building a PC, specifically a SFF PC. I am very interested in the Corsair Carbide Air240 but I can't seem to find the case in LowYat, can anybody show me where I can find it?

Also, although I am now a Manager, I am a designer by trade so I still do play around with Photoshop and Illustrator and may look to go back into gaming in the future. Is it possible for me to build a PC first without the graphic card and add it at a later date? The build I am currently thinking of is this:
  • Corsair Carbide Air240
  • Intel Core i7 4790
  • ASUS Z97M-PLUS
  • 8GB KINGSTON D3 HYPER FURY
  • SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB
  • ASUS GTX960 2GB (Future)

What is the estimated cost of this build and is there anything else I am missing? It has been a while since I've been in the PC mindset blush.gif . Your help would be very much appreciated!

Scirwode

This post has been edited by Scirwode: Feb 16 2015, 05:40 PM
TSClem1982
post Feb 24 2015, 02:17 PM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

QUOTE(Scirwode @ Feb 16 2015, 05:39 PM)
Hi All, this is my first time posting here. I've been a notebook user since 2002 and have recently sold my Asus G60 as I do not really use it. My last experience building a PC was 13 years ago! I still have a Macbook Pro but lately I have been thinking of going back to building a PC, specifically a SFF PC. I am very interested in the Corsair Carbide Air240 but I can't seem to find the case in LowYat, can anybody show me where I can find it?

Also, although I am now a Manager, I am a designer by trade so I still do play around with Photoshop and Illustrator and may look to go back into gaming in the future. Is it possible for me to build a PC first without the graphic card and add it at a later date? The build I am currently thinking of is this:

• Corsair Carbide Air240
  • Intel Core i7 4790
  • ASUS Z97M-PLUS
  • 8GB KINGSTON D3 HYPER FURY
  • SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB
  • ASUS GTX960 2GB (Future)

What is the estimated cost of this build and is there anything else I am missing? It has been a while since I've been in the PC mindset  blush.gif . Your help would be very much appreciated!

Scirwode
The air 240 is a hot chassis and most stores were out of stock very fast haha so all you have to do is keep looking. On a side note, the build looks okay and yes it will work without a dedicated GPU. I'd estimate RM3300 for the things you've listed, you could cut cost by going for the Xeon E3 1231 V3 (save approx Rm200) and a H97 mobo (save approx RM100)... Switching brands will also be cheaper as Asus's products are slightly higher than others wink.gif
Decky
post Feb 25 2015, 11:09 AM

Regular
1,190 posts

Hi guys, any of you tried carrying your SFF desktop while you travel via airplane before
Skylinestar
post Feb 25 2015, 04:31 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(Decky @ Feb 25 2015, 11:09 AM)
Hi guys, any of you tried carrying your SFF desktop while you travel via airplane before
i've carried a 12kg rig before. just wrap it with bubblewrap. the airport crew will ask you what it is. i said it's a video tape recorder.
lace
post Feb 27 2015, 11:11 PM

On my way
623 posts

ive carried a elite 130 before

Scirwode
post Mar 1 2015, 03:28 AM

Getting Started
142 posts

QUOTE(Clem1982 @ Feb 24 2015, 02:17 PM)
The air 240 is a hot chassis and most stores were out of stock very fast haha so all you have to do is keep looking. On a side note, the build looks okay and yes it will work without a dedicated GPU.  I'd estimate RM3300 for the things you've listed, you could cut cost by going for the Xeon E3 1231 V3 (save approx Rm200) and a H97 mobo (save approx RM100)... Switching brands will also be cheaper as Asus's products are slightly higher than others wink.gif
Indeed, I haven't been able to find it around LowYat. Thing is, I like the case because it fits in with my Minimalism attitude tongue.gif . What's the difference if I go with a Xeon CPU and motherboard? Technically, I haven't been using 3D software since I came out of school 10 years ago, but I am thinking of getting back in the groove with Blender, hence the high powered build! Use to remember to render a 9 second scene in Lightwave took 3 days on my Pentium 4 1GB desktop build and I had to put a fan on it just to make it sure it didn't melt laugh.gif .

Are ASUS products more expensive than comparable brands? I've trusted ASUS for a while as it's been bullet proof for me but if there are comparable brands out there that will do the job better, I'm all for it.

However, I just realised that I need a WiFi card as the Z97M-Plus doesn't seem to have one. Any recommendations? Another thing I'm mulling is upgrading from a 960 to 970, but I've heard there's an issue with the RAM, so is it good for now?

Scirwode

This post has been edited by Scirwode: Mar 1 2015, 03:28 AM
TSClem1982
post Mar 3 2015, 12:08 PM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

QUOTE(Scirwode @ Mar 1 2015, 03:28 AM)
Indeed, I haven't been able to find it around LowYat. Thing is, I like the case because it fits in with my Minimalism attitude  tongue.gif . What's the difference if I go with a Xeon CPU and motherboard? Technically, I haven't been using 3D software since I came out of school 10 years ago, but I am thinking of getting back in the groove with Blender, hence the high powered build! Use to remember to render a 9 second scene in Lightwave took 3 days on my Pentium 4 1GB desktop build and I had to put a fan on it just to make it sure it didn't melt  laugh.gif .

Are ASUS products more expensive than comparable brands? I've trusted ASUS for a while as it's been bullet proof for me but if there are comparable brands out there that will do the job better, I'm all for it.

However, I just realised that I need a WiFi card as the Z97M-Plus doesn't seem to have one. Any recommendations? Another thing I'm mulling is upgrading from a 960 to 970, but I've heard there's an issue with the RAM, so is it good for now?

Scirwode
haha good luck with the chassis, if minimalist chassis can also take a look at Silverstone and some BitFenix chassis as well wink.gif

basically the Xeon is an i7 4770 but without the IGP and at 0.1mhz slower, it's supposedly designed for stability. and yes Asus products are priced higher than other brands but if you're comfortable with the brand I suggest you stick with it.

WIFI.. I just use a USB dongle from D-Link DWA-125, works for me lolz. No comments on the GPU as I am not familiar with Nvidia cards tongue.gif
JensonKS
post Mar 5 2015, 09:00 PM

20 posts

Hi all,

is anyone using RVZ01? hmm.gif
Slim compact SFF casing by silverstone.
i believe several steam machines partner using this casing as reference.

btw, here is my sff rig cool2.gif
user posted image

specs:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

lin00b
post Mar 6 2015, 02:06 AM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(Decky @ Feb 25 2015, 11:09 AM)
if you want to do that, make sure its in carry on luggage. checked luggage xray scan may show it looking like some bomb - also,handling may damage the casing
Decky
post Mar 6 2015, 09:36 AM

Regular
1,190 posts

QUOTE(lin00b @ Mar 6 2015, 02:06 AM)
if you want to do that, make sure its in carry on luggage. checked luggage xray scan may show it looking like some bomb - also,handling may damage the casing
thanks! but I realize that the bitfenix prodigy cases themselves probably wouldn't qualify as carry on.

I might have to buy those steam machines to bring over ):
kazairol
post Mar 7 2015, 08:46 AM

Regular
1,008 posts

QUOTE(JensonKS @ Mar 5 2015, 09:00 PM)
Hi all,

is anyone using RVZ01? hmm.gif
Slim compact SFF casing by silverstone.
i believe several steam machines partner using this casing as reference.

btw, here is my sff rig  cool2.gif
user posted image

specs:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Nice built there, wta, does the case come with power supply, or need to buy separately?

Can it fit 3x 3.5" hdd?
JensonKS
post Mar 7 2015, 11:34 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(kazairol @ Mar 7 2015, 08:46 AM)
Nice built there, wta, does the case come with power supply, or need to buy separately?

Can it fit 3x 3.5" hdd?
thanks mate. biggrin.gif

nope, have to buy it ourselves and sfx psu (125mm× 63.5mm × 100mm) is the only form factor officially recommended. but i saw a guy from HK forum manage to fit in a standard size psu with some work.

it can fit in 3 hdds, but only support 2x 2.5" and 1x 3.5" unsure.gif
kazairol
post Mar 8 2015, 11:16 AM

Regular
1,008 posts

QUOTE(JensonKS @ Mar 7 2015, 11:34 AM)
thanks mate. biggrin.gif

nope,  have to buy it ourselves and sfx psu (125mm× 63.5mm × 100mm) is the only form factor officially recommended. but i saw a guy from HK forum manage to fit in a standard size psu with some work.

it can fit in 3 hdds, but only support 2x 2.5" and 1x 3.5"  unsure.gif
owh thanks for the info, plan to get this case as well flex.gif
ruffstuff
post Mar 8 2015, 11:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

My ncase M1 v2. The true definition of compact case.

These are actually old pictures. I've change few components.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
I've change to much taller 80mm reservoir. This 50mm one makes the pump noisy.

user posted image

user posted image
Bitspower fitting extension. Make it neat and minimize kinks.

user posted image
KUROsaki23
post Mar 16 2015, 12:23 AM

Casual
328 posts

anyone waiting for x99 mini itx version?
WIZBUG
post Mar 16 2015, 12:30 AM

Getting Started
162 posts

Heard from teksyndicate guys over youtube regarding the x99 itx.

The Tek 0174: FCC Title II, X99 ITX, A Lot More: https://youtu.be/24h7oL5tFKY

The only thing to an itx form factor for the x99 is not being able to use the quad channel memory like they have on normal atx board or even the microatx board
hyperyouth_firepower
post Mar 29 2015, 02:01 AM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

I would like some advice, please.

If i'm looking for very small cases, something like this

a) the smaller, the better
b) function over form. It can be butt ugly, naked, i don't care, as long as it performs absolutely well. Not into looks
c) cram as many HDDs, RAM and still single GPU

would the Sugo (from Silverstone) fit the bill, or would you recommend another casing?
yushin
post Mar 30 2015, 10:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,311 posts

QUOTE(hyperyouth_firepower @ Mar 29 2015, 02:01 AM)

b) function over form. It can be butt ugly, naked, i don't care, as long as it performs absolutely well. Not into looks

would the Sugo (from Silverstone) fit the bill, or would you recommend another casing?
a) Silverstone Sugo series are quite small like SG05, SG06. Less than 12liter volume.
b) Good looking casing or not is highly depending on personal taste. Some people like minimalist looks and some like to put LED and neon.
c) Why you need to cram so many HDD, for RAID? if you just need big capacity just get a 6TB hdd for capacity + 120GB SSD for speed. Most SFF casing only supports 1x 2.5 inch + 1x 3.5 inch.
d) Some powerful GFX card has small version that can fix into SFF casing. Example are Asus GTX970 Mini, Galax GTX970 OC.

Btw, you got any budget limit?
kherel77
post Mar 30 2015, 10:52 AM

Noobie
1,435 posts

QUOTE(hyperyouth_firepower @ Mar 29 2015, 02:01 AM)

Lian Li PC-Q25

user posted image
hyperyouth_firepower
post Mar 30 2015, 12:32 PM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

QUOTE(yushin @ Mar 30 2015, 11:18 AM)
a) Silverstone Sugo series are quite small like SG05, SG06. Less than 12liter volume.
b) Good looking casing or not is highly depending on personal taste. Some people like minimalist looks and some like to put LED and neon.
c) Why you need to cram so many HDD, for RAID? if you just need big capacity just get a 6TB hdd for capacity + 120GB SSD for speed. Most SFF casing only supports 1x 2.5 inch + 1x 3.5 inch.
d) Some powerful GFX card has small version that can fix into SFF casing. Example are Asus GTX970 Mini, Galax GTX970 OC.

Btw, you got any budget limit?
Budget, very limited, but this is a "build over time", so i'm more concerned about the case first, then the other components later (since the case has to fit in the the criteria of being as small as possible)

I'm not aware that the 3.5" HDDs can store up to 6TB, will look into that. That solves a lot of problems.

I was considering looking for the Sugo13 as a base, since its the smallest at 12litres and no wasted space. I'm also considering the Cooler Master CM130, which is slightly bigger at 15litres but has spaces for everything without worrying about overheating despite using air cooling.

44 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0272sec    0.62    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:31 PM