Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cat Lovers V7 ^_^, Fabulous Cats & People

views

basilisk
post Nov 30 2020, 02:06 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(Katrinah @ Nov 30 2020, 08:26 AM)
Hi all, I brought back a 2mths old kitty to my home, which have an existing 3mths old kitty (been with me as sole kitten for 1 mth).  As expected, there are hissing and growling.. it's day 2 now.

They're in separate areas and I let them meet when I am free to observe.

I also used the old kitty's towel to wrap the new kitty so he smells familiar to the old kitty.  Other than this, is there any tips to smoothen this process? I understand this takes time. TIA
[CODE]

let them eat play together... under your watch..
still kitten should be able to adapt..
basilisk
post Nov 30 2020, 05:13 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(adix4 @ Nov 30 2020, 05:06 PM)
Hi Guys,

My baby kitten (4 months) is currently eating RC Kitten

I am planning to give the biskut Orijen + Boiled Chicken (maybe once in a while like 3-4x per week) + RC Wet food

Bad combo for kitten?
as long as the kitten dont have loose stool, it is ok.
basilisk
post Dec 5 2020, 11:35 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(IpohGuyz @ Dec 5 2020, 09:01 PM)
want to ask about fip (feline coronavirus). after googling can't find any conclusive result.

so if the cat has fip, the chance of the disease undormant is actually quite low? but once undormant, will gg very fast.
fip is difficult to diagnose - yes.

most cat suspected got fip, die very fast - yes.
basilisk
post Dec 16 2020, 02:05 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(IpohGuyz @ Dec 6 2020, 05:48 PM)
But how about if memang got fip but it just remaint dormant for the rest of life. Is this possibility high or low?
Don't get mixed up.

Know the difference.

" .. Feline Infectious Peritonitis And Feline Coronavirus
Feline Coronavirus is a worldwide virus and can affect domesticated and wild cats occasionally causing a chronic and progressive, often fatal disease, called Feline Infectious Peritonitis. Feline Infectious Peritonitis occurs sporadically in cats infected with Feline Coronavirus (FCoV) which has mutated into a FCoV variant (FIPV). Based on the latest scientific knowledge, a Feline Infectious Peritonitis infection is not transmitted from one cat to another. "

Read.

Source : https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-d...ine-coronavirus

Feline Coronavirus (FCoV) RT-PCR
Feline Coronavirus (FCoV) is a common viral infection in cats. It generally causes asymptomatic infection, but can cause mild diarrhea. As yet poorly understood changes in the virus can give rise to mutants that lead to the development of feline infectious peritonitis (FIP). Most cats infected with a FCoV eliminate virus following infection, but some cats may develop a persistent infection. These cats are generally asymptomatic, can shed large amounts of virus in feces, and serve as a continual source of infection for other cats in the environment. Continual circulation of FCoV within a cat population may increase the chance that a virulent FIP strain might emerge. While the pathogenesis of FIP is poorly understood, it is now believed that detection and removal of persistently infected and shedding cats in a multi-cat household can reduce the risk of FIP emergence within that population.

In response to the increased interest within the cat breeding and cat owning community, the Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University now offers a fecal RT-PCR test for FCoV. This test can be used to identify asymptomatic FCoV shedding cats so steps can be taken to isolate them from other cats or to prevent their introduction to a resident population. Samples required for the fecal RT-PCR screening test are 2-5 grams fresh feces. When screening an individual cat in a multi-cat household it is important to positively identify the source of the fecal sample. Mixing of fecal samples from multiple cats may result in an inaccurate result. Feces should be stored in a clean plastic bag to prevent dehydration.

In clinical FIP suspect cats, the test can also identify FCoV in ascites fluid, whole blood, plasma, serum or fresh tissues (kidney, liver, or spleen). Samples from FIP-suspects should include 1-2 ml of fluid (ascites, whole blood, serum, or plasma) or 1-2 grams of fresh tissues.

All samples should be shipped in a leak-proof container to the laboratory by overnight courier on ice packs for optimal test outcomes.

Fecal FCoV RT-PCR tests should be interpreted cautiously. Single positive or negative tests are meaningless as cats may shed intermittently or may be recently infected. To be identified as a chronic shedding carrier, a cat should be fecal virus positive on multiple tests over an 8-month period. A cat that tests negative on monthly tests over a 5-month period of time may be considered a non-shedder. (Addie D.D., Jarrett O. 2001 Use of a reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for monitoring the shedding of feline coronavirus by healthy cats. Veterinary Record. Vol 148. pp. 649-653.)

In a cat with clinical signs consistent with FIP, FCoV RT-PCR positive results on fluids or tissues may indicate active FIP. FCoV RT-PCR positive results in tissues from a clinically normal cat are only indicative of infection with FCoV.

DL-931 11/07

This post has been edited by basilisk: Dec 16 2020, 02:32 PM
basilisk
post Dec 16 2020, 02:46 PM

30 posts

More to read about Fcov and Fip.

https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-infectio...eritonitis-fip/

lazy to read.. = no cure..... no medicine
basilisk
post Dec 28 2020, 12:42 PM

30 posts

discourage the cat frm coming over is the best choice.
auto siren, auto sprinkler etc..
basilisk
post Jan 6 2021, 01:01 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(off_shore @ Jan 6 2021, 12:01 AM)
Hi,

I m new to being a cat owner. I know wet food is generally discouraged since it gives bad oral health but I feed my cat one pack a day and split into breakfast and dinner. In between royal canin gibbles if she is hungry and at night too.

Can I know what wet food is recommended ya? I tried royal canin kitten and pro diet kitten, my cat is leaning towards pro diet. Not sure if I should continue to feed her with this brand that will cause health implications in the long run?
wet food provides moisture/water for the cat. which is good.
generally cat doesn't drink enough water.
if the cat is prone to develope stones, after several years of dry food, enough crystals will have developed and cause serious complications.

even dry food, if the cat likes to swallow like vacuum, it wont clean the cat's teeth.

you need to brush the cat's teeth , tht's wht i do.

if you can afford you can buy better quality wet food.

scroll back a few pages, to read more info previously posted.

basilisk
post Jan 6 2021, 11:17 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(off_shore @ Jan 6 2021, 02:57 PM)
Thanks for your advice.

These few days i have been reading a lot on cat's food and stumbled across few brands, namely Blackwood, TOTW, Cindy's Recipe, Equilibrio and Proud Holistic.

There's a petstore across my condo and the pet shop owner who happened to rear a few cats of her own, keeps recommending Proud Holistic but this is my first time hearing it. Checked online and not many reviews about it and would like to you from the sifus here, based on the ingredients which they claimed, grain-free; is it ok to give a try?

Pure Holistic (Skin & Fur)
Youre welcome, no prob.

Nowadays alot of pet food in the market.
pet food biz is very lucrative, cos pet can't complain, owners doesn't really bother, as long as the pet looks fine, no health issues, but biz ppl are getting a lof of profit by using very low cost ingredients.

Just by saying it is grain free, ( yes it's grain free) they can price it same as imported good quality food frm usa / europe, tht needs to be shipped half across the globe, taxed more etc etc.

where as their oem food is made in china / thai / vietnam. ?
they don't even need to state where the food is made.

For example the brand 'greens' and many more.

The brand you mentioned ' proud holistic' most likely is another oem pet food.

I checked on shopee, the 10kg bag is 22x rm, which is 2x per kg. this price is same as imported Eu brand.

The ingredient looks low cost, esp the oil, uses blended oil including palm oil etc.

Pet food that's being sold in over 10 countries, with info of the manufacturer/factory, owners, etc are highly recommended.

One example is carnilove, which i really like, cos their food is just irresistable. The aroma tells alot about their blend / ingredient used.

What's the price you can afford for cat food?

Buy 6-8kg bag to save $$, you can save alot. very easy to keep the food frm exposing to air, check out my earlier post.

use shopee to do price check.

This post has been edited by basilisk: Jan 6 2021, 11:22 PM
basilisk
post Jan 8 2021, 03:12 PM

30 posts

A hungry cat cant be a choosy cat...

it will eat anything tht's edible.

user posted image

right is carnilove kibble + 60ml of water, left is reflex kibble + xx water..

all sapu clean..

cat wont eat food served

- not hungry/over fed/wrong timing
- spoil brat
- sick/health issues

This post has been edited by basilisk: Jan 8 2021, 04:38 PM
basilisk
post Jan 8 2021, 08:24 PM

30 posts

Bought 1.5kg Reflex Plus++ to test.

Price /kg (15kg bag) is ~rm11 or less.

user posted image

Manufacture date - oct 2020
exp - apr 2023
should be very fresh.

user posted image

Selected 'choosy' cos it's suppose to have strong aroma.

The smell is actually not very strong, just a bit better? than totw. Smell is like added flavouring, like those add to junk food, ie twisties perasa ayam, but not strong.
Once added water , the flavouring smell becomes more distinct, like 'maggi' chicken flavour, but not strong.
Also smells like cereal.

user posted image

user posted image

basilisk
post Jan 9 2021, 03:54 PM

30 posts

user posted image

Recent years we have seen these terms " xxx(meat) protein " on pet food ingredient list.

For eg the above list of Reflex Plus+ Choosy.

What actually is salmon protein? chicken protein? poultry protein?

Actually they have replaced the term " by-product" with protein.
So salmon protein = salmon by-product
chicken protein = chicken by-product.

Excerpt from this article on petfoodindustry.com
https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/38...re-a-difference

" A proposal in 1998 to drop the "by-product" designation from poultry products and replace it with the term "protein" was rejected by AAFCO. "

That is why you wont find these term on pet food made and sold in the USA.

By-product is of course a low cost ingredient.

What is in pet food? from aafco.org website
https://www.aafco.org/Consumers/What-is-in-Pet-Food

basilisk
post Jan 10 2021, 12:38 PM

30 posts

This is cat food ok....

user posted image

This post has been edited by basilisk: Jan 11 2021, 06:13 PM
basilisk
post Jan 10 2021, 12:39 PM

30 posts

user posted image

This post has been edited by basilisk: Jan 11 2021, 06:13 PM
basilisk
post Jan 10 2021, 10:31 PM

30 posts

Neuter might help abit, but most likely it will behave the same.
There's one fler here with me, neuter ~6mth+ , still grows up to be a gangster, always wana fight with other cats that passes by.
basilisk
post Jan 17 2021, 09:29 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(myroy @ Jan 17 2021, 08:18 PM)
Hi
I just adopt 2 new cat (3month old)
Now after bring back to my house, it seems that they both scared
Hide back of my door, curtain etc...

I prepared food, raw fish, boiled fish but dint eat much
Did a bit reading many suggest that let them play and familiar at specific place 1st (e.g my 1st floor) later when they ready they will come play...
Any suggestions and advice for me?
yes, the kitten will get used to the new environment in no time. nothing to worry about.
basilisk
post Jan 19 2021, 09:52 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(myroy @ Jan 18 2021, 05:50 PM)
Which one better
1) buy raw fish mix with rice
2) steam raw fish mix with rice
3) buy proper cat food

For option number 3, i saw many cons as discuss over the internet
-can lead to bladder stone, artificial is not good laaa

Any other suggestion?
I still learning now
your aim of 1 or 2 is ?

to provide quality food? or to save money?

If you wana prepare food , you need to find out the cat's nutrition requirement.
Need to prepare enough protein for the cat. + other nutrients like vitamins etc.

Cat not like human that can eat alot rice, + abit fish.
Cat can actually eat only meat.. like the big cats you see in zoo, they dont feed them rice biggrin.gif

So you need to do research, online. or
use the analysis on cat food bag to calculate, as a guide.

or u jz feed them ??% meat ??%others. + give vit+ supplements.

Plenty of infos online.

20 Pages « < 18 19 20Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0855sec    0.42    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:29 AM