Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Asus G-Series Notebook Thread V10, The Rise of G751 with GTX 980M

IncredibleNano
post Oct 24 2017, 12:45 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 22 2017, 04:12 PM)
g55vw doesn't have this nonsense. previously i tested with killer wifi and intel wifi cards. both worked. i didn't use the killer wifi card because it's for 3-antenna setup (tri-band; aw has this). asus g55vw only have 2 antennas (dual-band)
yes, leceh tbh lol
That's really great. My Lenovo Y50 sucks in this aspect. Still stuck on 802.11n 2.4 GHz cry.gif
horns
post Oct 24 2017, 01:08 PM

\m/
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Oct 24 2017, 10:01 AM)
But I do find that the newer laptops are now harder to access compared to previous generations. My G51JX can access 90% of the stuff with removing the bottom panel alone, and this includes the access to the fans. I do hope Asus allows much freedom in their ROG series (at least in the budget oriented section) as people can DIY their internals to their liking. A standard design for GPU + Heatsink + connection would be swell. biggrin.gif
the same happened to g55vw, e.g. to access the fans for maintenance, you have to tear the whole laptop down first lol

laptops are not meant to be torn down easily. this is to prevent typical users who know nothing go and spoil theirs. however, the designer, or rather, the one who approves designs, should think of user convenience so that their users can at least do regular maintenance on their own. this is especially true here, when a service center is not actually a service center.

yes, they should follow standards about parts as much as possible. however, what if there is no such standard yet? asus will of course do things their own ways. this might be why they have one of the better laptop cooling systems in the market. the thing is, when they do it, they customize everything, even parts that they don't need to. they called it innovations smile.gif

horns
post Oct 24 2017, 01:16 PM

\m/

QUOTE(IncredibleNano @ Oct 24 2017, 12:45 PM)
That's really great. My Lenovo Y50 sucks in this aspect. Still stuck on 802.11n 2.4 GHz  cry.gif
yeah figured. lenovo has this. this is why i never go for lenovo. (i have read that there are ways to overcome this, but imo it's relatively risky so why bother?)

dell and asus are equally capable to produce good-quality laptops. the difference is just the quality of after-sale support. dell is still number one, whereas asus is also number one, in the other end.
Mubarak90
post Oct 24 2017, 02:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 24 2017, 01:08 PM)
the same happened to g55vw, e.g. to access the fans for maintenance, you have to tear the whole laptop down first lol

laptops are not meant to be torn down easily. this is to prevent typical users who know nothing go and spoil theirs. however, the designer, or rather, the one who approves designs, should think of user convenience so that their users can at least do regular maintenance on their own. this is especially true here, when a service center is not actually a service center.

yes, they should follow standards about parts as much as possible. however, what if there is no such standard yet? asus will of course do things their own ways. this might be why they have one of the better laptop cooling systems in the market. the thing is, when they do it, they customize everything, even parts that they don't need to. they called it innovations smile.gif
I understand the issue with regular laptops and laptop users. But ROG products are not under the regular laptop category, and most of the users are the same as well. They target to a specific user base, so at least cater to the user group with what they want. Yeah, service centre don't really work like how a service centre should be, hahaha.

I don't really mind if there is not yet a standard like how PCIe works on desktop (there is already a widely used format which is MXM though), but at least, make is standard between ROG laptops. Then users who spend RM4000 on their laptops can at least swap to a better GPU after 2 years or more (yeah I know about desktop, lol). I wonder why there is no standardization though.

And I do think even cheap ROG laptops should at least have 2 SATA slot and compartment to place 2 HDD/SSD or at least one M.2 and one SATA connection. This, plus at least 2 slots which are easy to access for RAM.
horns
post Oct 24 2017, 08:51 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Oct 24 2017, 02:32 PM)
I understand the issue with regular laptops and laptop users. But ROG products are not under the regular laptop category, and most of the users are the same as well. They target to a specific user base, so at least cater to the user group with what they want. Yeah, service centre don't really work like how a service centre should be, hahaha.

I don't really mind if there is not yet a standard like how PCIe works on desktop (there is already a widely used format which is MXM though), but at least, make is standard between ROG laptops. Then users who spend RM4000 on their laptops can at least swap to a better GPU after 2 years or more (yeah I know about desktop, lol). I wonder why there is no standardization though.

And I do think even cheap ROG laptops should at least have 2 SATA slot and compartment to place 2 HDD/SSD or at least one M.2 and one SATA connection. This, plus at least 2 slots which are easy to access for RAM.
to a typical user, laptops are laptops; rog or not it's laptops lol (it's like telling them how good an expensive mechanical keyboard is, and the mods you have done to it. to them, come on it's just a keyboard biggrin.gif)

yeah like i said, they even modify parts that have proper standards unnecessarily, and break such standards; so it's a dream for them to do standardization among their own products (mainly because of business side of things) i once expected rog to be like clevo. after observations for few generations of their products, forget it. imo they really should redefine what a true gaming laptop is.

i bet they can do all that for sata slots, and easily-accessible ram slots, or any other things. again, it's about business haha

i will wait until they put up something that i am satisfied with. until then, i just buy from brands that can do that.
aimanace94
post Oct 25 2017, 12:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 24 2017, 08:51 PM)
to a typical user, laptops are laptops; rog or not it's laptops lol (it's like telling them how good an expensive mechanical keyboard is, and the mods you have done to it. to them, come on it's just a keyboard biggrin.gif)

yeah like i said, they even modify parts that have proper standards unnecessarily, and break such standards; so it's a dream for them to do standardization among their own products (mainly because of business side of things) i once expected rog to be like clevo. after observations for few generations of their products, forget it. imo they really should redefine what a true gaming laptop is.

i bet they can do all that for sata slots, and easily-accessible ram slots, or any other things. again, it's about business haha

i will wait until they put up something that i am satisfied with. until then, i just buy from brands that can do that.
u seems really knowledgeable at this. Do dongle WiFi naturally sucks compared to internal WiFi ?

im using TP-Link WN725N which is capable of getting 150Mbps. my internet plan is only 10Mbps at 2.4GHz. i know this dongle is small (antenna-wise), but compared to its capability vs my internet plan the difference is very noticable in terms of speed and latency vs my internal card. if i buy more expensive dongle (say, TP-Link archer T2U AC600) (also, does high gain vs standard gain matter?) will it at least be better than the internal, 5 years-old-Intel N2230 ?

This post has been edited by aimanace94: Oct 25 2017, 12:34 PM
horns
post Oct 25 2017, 03:18 PM

\m/

QUOTE(aimanace94 @ Oct 25 2017, 12:26 PM)
u seems really knowledgeable at this. Do dongle WiFi naturally sucks compared to internal WiFi ?

im using TP-Link WN725N which is capable of getting 150Mbps. my internet plan is only 10Mbps at 2.4GHz. i know this dongle is small (antenna-wise), but compared to its capability vs my internet plan the difference is very noticable in terms of speed and latency vs my internal card. if i buy more expensive dongle (say, TP-Link archer T2U AC600) (also, does high gain vs standard gain matter?) will it at least be better than the internal, 5 years-old-Intel N2230 ?
for wifi dongles or wifi in general, sorry that i have very limited knowledge. (my main connections are still lan; wifi is just for backup) my wifi worked before and after the mod. i didn't get a wifi dongle for test. (the intel .ac can go around 700mbps consistently with .ac router at 5ghz)

usually this thing works in pairs. if you had a capable wifi dongle, you also need a capable wifi router. high gain is supposed to give you better signals. how good it can be still depends on other factors (e.g. walls in the way or not).

Mubarak90
post Oct 27 2017, 03:19 PM

Casual

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 24 2017, 08:51 PM)

Well, to some people like me, we don't have the luxury to replace our laptops every now and then. So, sucks to be us. Hahaha

I do hope they will do something to revitalize the whole gaming laptop category. Nowadays, regular laptops are also carrying GPU such as GTX 1050 already.

The difference between internal and external wifi adapter would be that the external one will occupy 1 USB port, which can be used for other stuffs. biggrin.gif
horns
post Oct 27 2017, 04:19 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Oct 27 2017, 03:19 PM)
Well, to some people like me, we don't have the luxury to replace our laptops every now and then. So, sucks to be us. Hahaha

I do hope they will do something to revitalize the whole gaming laptop category. Nowadays, regular laptops are also carrying GPU such as GTX 1050 already.

The difference between internal and external wifi adapter would be that the external one will occupy 1 USB port, which can be used for other stuffs. biggrin.gif
i understood. my main point is that flexibility to replace parts should be in place, so that when the user is ready, they can do something to make the laptop work better.
xyz_cityhunter
post Nov 9 2017, 11:00 PM

Getting Started

The 150Mbps wireless dongle should be sufficient for 10Mbps internet but do note on the Wifi strength that you can get on that dongle versus your internal wifi, this is given as the dongle has a small antenna versus the antenna that you have internally in your laptop. Laptop internal wifi might be better sometimes as most laptop will have 2 antenna place at different corner of the laptop so that your wifi card can see which antenna having a better signal from your router and it will automatically switch to the antenna with better signal strength.
As for the antenna gain, the higher it is means the better it is. The best solution for wifi strength transmitting over wall would be getting a router with high dB antenna which can transmit at higher power, more penetrating power when crossing the concrete wall. As for the TP-Link archer T2U AC600, it would be best for you to skip this and go with other models with high dB gain as this model is only better than your WN725N for having the 5GHz band support and also the AC support, which both of this is not of use if your router is not 5GHz and AC protocol capable. You can go with the TL-WN722N model which has the high gain antenna that is better at picking up weaker Wifi signal: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details..._TL-WN722N.html

This post has been edited by xyz_cityhunter: Nov 10 2017, 05:35 PM

81 Pages « < 79 80 81Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0720sec    1.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 03:35 AM