Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Asus G-Series Notebook Thread V10, The Rise of G751 with GTX 980M

horns
post Sep 25 2017, 03:42 PM

\m/
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Sep 25 2017, 02:01 PM)
I see. Mostly, the issue with CPU is that it is soldered on the motherboard. GPU however, usually isn't, but, Asus has a habit of using their own proprietary GPU slot design, which makes it non-compatible with regular MxM boards.

Still, congratulations that you managed to make all that upgrade for your laptop. I was always wondering if I could upgrade the wifi card, and change the DVD-ROM to HDD Caddy, but alas, my laptop spoilt before I get the chance. I'm interested to buy a new laptop, but it seems they've made it harder to upgrade and access the internal components with the new designs.
yes man custom designs; asus likes this a lot. that alone kills a fair amount of potentials and possibilities in their laptops. (at least for g55 the gpu is soldered)

g55 is still a good work horse for work purposes. never failed functionally. just remember to change cmos battery when time comes smile.gif (the laptop battery died a long time ago; now it's powered by ups)

right it's better to refrain yourself from getting one if you planned to upgrade parts in future. do more detailed research first about maintainability and components before buy. there are laptops that are designed for ease of upgrades and maintenance but asus seldom does that. still, it doesn't mean it's hard. one caveat: designers at asus are kind of obsessed with screws; they put screws everywhere hehe (it's good in a way; once you have an asus laptop, you basically can salvage more screws than you need for future needs of your new laptops biggrin.gif)

for g-series, there are user serviceable and non-serviceable areas. user serviceable area usually means the area that is exposed when you remove the bottom cover. doing anything in this area as user doesn't void warranty. parts that need regular maintenance are cpu/gpu cooling systems: fans, vents, heat sinks; in the case of g55, it's a pita to maintain this part; it requires full disassembly of the laptop. at least to me, it's important that a laptop allows easy access to cooling systems. (especially those living in dusty environments) with proper maintenance, anything also can last longer.

the most important upgrade of all is still ssd as os disk. no matter what, save budget for this.
Mubarak90
post Sep 25 2017, 04:21 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(horns @ Sep 25 2017, 03:42 PM)
yes man custom designs; asus likes this a lot. that alone kills a fair amount of potentials and possibilities in their laptops. (at least for g55 the gpu is soldered)

g55 is still a good work horse for work purposes. never failed functionally. just remember to change cmos battery when time comes smile.gif (the laptop battery died a long time ago; now it's powered by ups)

right it's better to refrain yourself from getting one if you planned to upgrade parts in future. do more detailed research first about maintainability and components before buy. there are laptops that are designed for ease of upgrades and maintenance but asus seldom does that. still, it doesn't mean it's hard. one caveat: designers at asus are kind of obsessed with screws; they put screws everywhere hehe (it's good in a way; once you have an asus laptop, you basically can salvage more screws than you need for future needs of your new laptops biggrin.gif)

for g-series, there are user serviceable and non-serviceable areas. user serviceable area usually means the area that is exposed when you remove the bottom cover. doing anything in this area as user doesn't void warranty. parts that need regular maintenance are cpu/gpu cooling systems: fans, vents, heat sinks; in the case of g55, it's a pita to maintain this part; it requires full disassembly of the laptop. at least to me, it's important that a laptop allows easy access to cooling systems. (especially those living in dusty environments) with proper maintenance, anything also can last longer.

the most important upgrade of all is still ssd as os disk. no matter what, save budget for this.
Yeah. Asus ROG laptop has work great for me until early this year. Mine was G51JX-A1 model. It's a 2010 model, and was heavily used until 2015. Then it got less attention from me since my marriage (of course la less time to play games already). Then in 2017, it died of old age (it's probably over-heating that caused the component on the board to fry). Huhuhu

The changes that I managed to do with it is upgrading the RAM from 6GB to 8GB (it has 4 RAM slots, but can only support 8GB DDR RAMs, sad), and upgrade the internal storage from 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD, before upgrading again to 480GB SSD. The older model has around 12 screws for the bottom panel, but once it's removed, you can access almost all the major components such as CPU, GPU, Heatsink, Fan, RAM slots, SATA slots and network adapter. I really loved the laptop actually, since even now, you can't actually get a new laptop that has 4C/8T at below RM3k. biggrin.gif
horns
post Sep 25 2017, 04:49 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Sep 25 2017, 04:21 PM)
Yeah. Asus ROG laptop has work great for me until early this year. Mine was G51JX-A1 model. It's a 2010 model, and was heavily used until 2015. Then it got less attention from me since my marriage (of course la less time to play games already). Then in 2017, it died of old age (it's probably over-heating that caused the component on the board to fry). Huhuhu

The changes that I managed to do with it is upgrading the RAM from 6GB to 8GB (it has 4 RAM slots, but can only support 8GB DDR RAMs, sad), and upgrade the internal storage from 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD, before upgrading again to 480GB SSD. The older model has around 12 screws for the bottom panel, but once it's removed, you can access almost all the major components such as CPU, GPU, Heatsink, Fan, RAM slots, SATA slots and network adapter. I really loved the laptop actually, since even now, you can't actually get a new laptop that has 4C/8T at below RM3k. biggrin.gif
haha real life is always better than virtual life biggrin.gif

in general asus rog is the better deal compared to other brands imo. build quality is relatively solid compared to other brands (with exception of few), and there are always few models that are much cheaper than the rest. it's like it's intentionally including only basics, so the price is much cheaper.

wow that's a better design imo (having all critical parts exposed for maintenance at least) it's just too bad asus failed to inherit such a good quality of a gaming laptop.

yes, it's different now in terms of pricing. everything is much more expensive than they should be. 4c/8t below 3k is a steal. standard g55 was like 3k+ and the model with 3d panel was 4k+

Mubarak90
post Sep 25 2017, 05:09 PM

Casual

QUOTE(horns @ Sep 25 2017, 04:49 PM)
haha real life is always better than virtual life biggrin.gif

in general asus rog is the better deal compared to other brands imo. build quality is relatively solid compared to other brands (with exception of few), and there are always few models that are much cheaper than the rest. it's like it's intentionally including only basics, so the price is much cheaper.

wow that's a better design imo (having all critical parts exposed for maintenance at least) it's just too bad asus failed to inherit such a good quality of a gaming laptop.

yes, it's different now in terms of pricing. everything is much more expensive than they should be. 4c/8t below 3k is a steal. standard g55 was like 3k+ and the model with 3d panel was 4k+
Yeah, I really wonder why they didn't inherit the easy access design of the old ROG. It was one of the reason gaming laptop was one of the more desirable laptops in the market, since it's easy for maintenance and upgradability. Maybe now, they actually wants the laptop to be harder to be maintain so that it'll spoil faster and new models can be bought. tongue.gif

Oh, I forgot to add, that I also bought an aftermarket battery for the laptop too. The battery died, so I bought a new, larger battery as replacement. It however, managed to perform similar as how it was when I newly bought it, so no actual extra battery life (other than what was written over when you check your battery life in windows, but never can be achieved).

Right now, if I want to buy an Asus ROG laptop, the cheapest (for a new model) would be the GL553V. I can be bought for RM3500 but comes only with Core i5 and measly 4GB of RAM which is the same as my RM1200 Asus Zenfone 3. lol

Maybe, just maybe, the introduction of Ryzen laptop CPU will allow 4C/8T CPU laptop, to be more affordable. Best, at below RM3000. smile.gif
horns
post Sep 25 2017, 06:12 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Sep 25 2017, 05:09 PM)
Yeah, I really wonder why they didn't inherit the easy access design of the old ROG. It was one of the reason gaming laptop was one of the more desirable laptops in the market, since it's easy for maintenance and upgradability. Maybe now, they actually wants the laptop to be harder to be maintain so that it'll spoil faster and new models can be bought. tongue.gif

Oh, I forgot to add, that I also bought an aftermarket battery for the laptop too. The battery died, so I bought a new, larger battery as replacement. It however, managed to perform similar as how it was when I newly bought it, so no actual extra battery life (other than what was written over when you check your battery life in windows, but never can be achieved).

Right now, if I want to buy an Asus ROG laptop, the cheapest (for a new model) would be the GL553V. I can be bought for RM3500 but comes only with Core i5 and measly 4GB of RAM which is the same as my RM1200 Asus Zenfone 3. lol

Maybe, just maybe, the introduction of Ryzen laptop CPU will allow 4C/8T CPU laptop, to be more affordable. Best, at below RM3000. smile.gif
it's an example of smart people do stupid things. to me it looks like they don't even know how to make a good gaming laptop despite of their so-called rich experience in the industry. (the same goes to new aw products) if they have such a short-sighted idea to gain sales, then it's too bad. i rather go for options that i'm comfortable with.

nice; battery is consumable. i only carry lighter laptops if i need to so i didn't get replacement batteries for g55. it stays plugged in 24/7 now. (for actual work, i very seldom run machines with battery only)

yes. these days to get one laptop with a true i7 cpu you need 4.6k+ (the ones ended with -hq, not -u in the cpu model number). performance wise, they're not so different from old i7 cpus that are 3 to 5 years old. this is also why i don't get new laptops so frequently anymore. actually gl553v is a good choice. for ram, it's better to start with 8gb at least, especially when you have a small ssd (it helps reduce writes to the disk). but still, for 4.6k+, i rather get this one, https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4415737 and use the saved money to buy ssd. (still got extras belanja wife makan steak lol)

This post has been edited by horns: Sep 25 2017, 06:15 PM
Mubarak90
post Sep 26 2017, 10:18 AM

Casual

QUOTE(horns @ Sep 25 2017, 06:12 PM)
it's an example of smart people do stupid things. to me it looks like they don't even know how to make a good gaming laptop despite of their so-called rich experience in the industry. (the same goes to new aw products) if they have such a short-sighted idea to gain sales, then it's too bad. i rather go for options that i'm comfortable with.

nice; battery is consumable. i only carry lighter laptops if i need to so i didn't get replacement batteries for g55. it stays plugged in 24/7 now. (for actual work, i very seldom run machines with battery only)

yes. these days to get one laptop with a true i7 cpu you need 4.6k+ (the ones ended with -hq, not -u in the cpu model number). performance wise, they're not so different from old i7 cpus that are 3 to 5 years old. this is also why i don't get new laptops so frequently anymore. actually gl553v is a good choice. for ram, it's better to start with 8gb at least, especially when you have a small ssd (it helps reduce writes to the disk). but still, for 4.6k+, i rather get this one, https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4415737 and use the saved money to buy ssd. (still got extras belanja wife makan steak lol)
It's sad to see that they keep making products that sometimes came out good, while sometimes came out bad. Asus was previously known to be one of the manufacturers who made laptops with good cooling solution. But even now, they still sometimes push laptop with bad cooling solution. I really can't understand how it can be that way.

Now they've made the awesome ROG Zephyrus, which are able to take in air from the top vents and release it to the back and bottom vents. They should use the idea, and try to adapt it to lower model range laptops. Now they've already manage to cram in powerful internals at very thin profile, why not reduce the thickness of budget laptops as well, or not, adapt part of the feature and allow cooler and more silent budget laptops.

The link for the laptop you provided was sold, so I couldn't really see the price. biggrin.gif
Anyway, for me at least, if I'm looking to buy a new laptop, I'll get the new GPUs from Nvidia because of the efficiency and performance that it can provide. smile.gif
horns
post Sep 26 2017, 02:34 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Sep 26 2017, 10:18 AM)
It's sad to see that they keep making products that sometimes came out good, while sometimes came out bad. Asus was previously known to be one of the manufacturers who made laptops with good cooling solution. But even now, they still sometimes push laptop with bad cooling solution. I really can't understand how it can be that way.

Now they've made the awesome ROG Zephyrus, which are able to take in air from the top vents and release it to the back and bottom vents. They should use the idea, and try to adapt it to lower model range laptops. Now they've already manage to cram in powerful internals at very thin profile, why not reduce the thickness of budget laptops as well, or not, adapt part of the feature and allow cooler and more silent budget laptops.

The link for the laptop you provided was sold, so I couldn't really see the price. biggrin.gif
Anyway, for me at least, if I'm looking to buy a new laptop, I'll get the new GPUs from Nvidia because of the efficiency and performance that it can provide. smile.gif
yes although asus is one of the manufacturers that produce excellent cooling, getting g-series is still like buying lottery without research before buy hehe

i think for new cooling ideas to be adapted in other models, it will take a while. these better cooling features usually only appear in higher end models. also, for some reasons, it involves bringing up costs and hence price for other models also.

for that used aw, the price was like 3.9k. even if you got the additional ram and ssd offered by seller, you still have around myr250 saved. (with 4.6k as budget i mean)

well it really depends on what you want. for gaming laptops, it's better to grab the highest end available during purchase (preferably with options to upgrade), because most mainstream mobile gpu will usually show age within 1 year or 2. in terms of performance, 980m is still relatively better than a 1050ti mobile gpu.

personally, because of this short performance life span of mobile gpu, i already stopped using laptops for gaming, and go for desktop gpu instead.

Mubarak90
post Sep 26 2017, 02:50 PM

Casual

QUOTE(horns @ Sep 26 2017, 02:34 PM)
yes although asus is one of the manufacturers that produce excellent cooling, getting g-series is still like buying lottery without research before buy hehe

i think for new cooling ideas to be adapted in other models, it will take a while. these better cooling features usually only appear in higher end models. also, for some reasons, it involves bringing up costs and hence price for other models also.

for that used aw, the price was like 3.9k. even if you got the additional ram and ssd offered by seller, you still have around myr250 saved. (with 4.6k as budget i mean)

well it really depends on what you want. for gaming laptops, it's better to grab the highest end available during purchase (preferably with options to upgrade), because most mainstream mobile gpu will usually show age within 1 year or 2. in terms of performance, 980m is still relatively better than a 1050ti mobile gpu.

personally, because of this short performance life span of mobile gpu, i already stopped using laptops for gaming, and go for desktop gpu instead.
Well, the lifespan actually isn't shorter than desktop GPU. It's the same. Only that you have the choice to upgrade your GPU for desktop while in laptop, you're probably going to be stuck using that GPU, unless you upgrade to another laptop.

My previous laptop uses Nvidia Geforce GTS 360M gpu. It's quite the performer in 2010, but as games get more demanding, it starts to show it's limitation. One of the saddest thing is, I can only get playable frame-rates for Battlefield 3 at 720p Medium Settings, haha. But, it holds ground when playing regular multiplayer games such as Counter Strike : Global Offensive and Dota 2. To compare, the GPU was slower compared to Geforce 740M, but hey, that's already a few generation after.

That's why, right now, I don't actually mind to play very demanding titles on the laptop, maybe just sometimes. I was planning for a laptop with an Geforce MX150, but seems like the price for laptop with that GPU is not what I expect it to be currently. MX150 is twice the performance of 940MX, which itself is already around 4x better than GTS360M. biggrin.gif

But if any laptop with GTX1050 can be purchased within the budget around RM3500, well, that itself is pretty interesting already. smile.gif
horns
post Sep 26 2017, 04:00 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Sep 26 2017, 02:50 PM)
Well, the lifespan actually isn't shorter than desktop GPU. It's the same. Only that you have the choice to upgrade your GPU for desktop while in laptop, you're probably going to be stuck using that GPU, unless you upgrade to another laptop.

My previous laptop uses Nvidia Geforce GTS 360M gpu. It's quite the performer in 2010, but as games get more demanding, it starts to show it's limitation. One of the saddest thing is, I can only get playable frame-rates for Battlefield 3 at 720p Medium Settings, haha. But, it holds ground when playing regular multiplayer games such as Counter Strike : Global Offensive and Dota 2. To compare, the GPU was slower compared to Geforce 740M, but hey, that's already a few generation after.

That's why, right now, I don't actually mind to play very demanding titles on the laptop, maybe just sometimes. I was planning for a laptop with an Geforce MX150, but seems like the price for laptop with that GPU is not what I expect it to be currently. MX150 is twice the performance of 940MX, which itself is already around 4x better than GTS360M. biggrin.gif

But if any laptop with GTX1050 can be purchased within the budget around RM3500, well, that itself is pretty interesting already. smile.gif
i was referring to performance life span, not physical life span. physically they are the same.

our gpu choices depends on games we play and our in-game preferences. to me mainstream gpu ages too quickly for the way i play games. (e.g. high settings; high resolution; high frame rates)

personally i will stick to desktop as primary gaming. this also makes my choices for laptops very clear nowadays. (8700k is coming biggrin.gif it's time to retire my 4790k, and convert it for file service)

Mubarak90
post Sep 26 2017, 04:08 PM

Casual

QUOTE(horns @ Sep 26 2017, 04:00 PM)
i was referring to performance life span, not physical life span. physically they are the same.

our gpu choices depends on games we play and our in-game preferences. to me mainstream gpu ages too quickly for the way i play games. (e.g. high settings; high resolution; high frame rates)

personally i will stick to desktop as primary gaming. this also makes my choices for laptops very clear nowadays. (8700k is coming biggrin.gif it's time to retire my 4790k, and convert it for file service)
Haha, 6C/12T goodness is coming. biggrin.gif
Me on the other hand, waiting for what Ryzen CPU on laptop will introduce. smile.gif
horns
post Sep 26 2017, 05:19 PM

\m/

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Sep 26 2017, 04:08 PM)
Haha, 6C/12T goodness is coming. biggrin.gif
Me on the other hand, waiting for what Ryzen CPU on laptop will introduce. smile.gif
right biggrin.gif actually there are noticeable differences in user experience and responsiveness when i compared 4790k and 5930k; more cores are really relatively better.

let's hope we will have even more ryzen options soon too. i am also considering a build with ryzen

edit: to me, the main reason to use desktops for gaming is the relatively low temperatures for the chips. with aio, my 980ti is 30c at idle, max at 46c. (this is after under long hours of gaming sessions; with slight oc) even with air cooling, the max is at 70c (custom fan settings). not the coolest, but it's way better than a lot of machines, and i am happy lol

This post has been edited by horns: Sep 26 2017, 06:22 PM
Mubarak90
post Oct 3 2017, 10:48 AM

Casual

QUOTE(pandai @ Oct 1 2017, 10:17 AM)
i got problem with my rog laptop. Black screen + fan not running + cannot go inside bios also.
Can i send to the service centre in pj digital mall for my notebook?
You should send it to service centre or repair shop. It might be that your laptop isn't powered on also.

80 Pages « < 78 79 80Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0812sec    5.08    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 01:31 PM