Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[WTA]Starting download service

views

TSlinkeong
post Sep 8 2006, 06:29 PM

Enthusiast
812 posts

QUOTE(seorang @ Sep 8 2006, 03:47 PM)
People who can't use IRC or BT are few and far between, and hardly use the internet. Those such people (ie. your friend at Petronas), how do you intend to reach them (let them know about your site) and get them to sign up?
The average streamyx user gets 1mbps max, so they wouldn't take 160 episodes of anime at a go, instead, they'd probably dl 2-4 eps at a time so that they won't have to wait that long. You're inflating and exaggerating numbers. Also, limits are almost necessary, or do you intend to allow one person to signup, and let them share the account?

This might seem harsh, but you're asking for an opinion on a forum where most know how to download, even if they choose not to. Thus, the majority of replies are obvious, and you're almost setting yourself up for this.
Exaggerating the numbers? Streamyx 1mbps could download all the way up to 300gb a month if you let it on 24/7 running at full speed so downloading 160 animes is a piece of cake.

QUOTE(alwizbthere @ Sep 8 2006, 04:45 PM)
and also, i feel that those sites tat offer paid download for fansubs are ripping out the fansubs works....though they say the money are for server fees, but who are we to know how they use the money?
fansubs offer their stuffs for free, not for some1 to host them and then charge for downloading....
If you charge high fees such as narutofan or any tazmo site, surely you are taking in profit but RM10 per month, can you find me a place to put a server that cheap? Even if I have 100 users I would even out because of the server cost (more users, more cpu power and ram and bandwidth, so the only profit is I can download for free for myself aka RM10).

*off topic*
About 4chan their senior members arent much of a hacker, mostly script kiddies who boast too much, if you want real hackers hang out at other forums. FYI, my personal accumulated damage is more than RM100k spanning over 6 years and this number is rounded down. **off topic**

Anyway further comments are welcomed.
broken_string
post Sep 8 2006, 07:58 PM

人生, 如何說得失, 論成敗 ?
7,258 posts

interesting thread u got here icon_idea.gif

ok basically wat u mean is
customer pay 10 bucks per month and after that they can dl those anime of their choice on ur server am i right ?

let say if i subscribe it can i giv the link to all my fren to dl together laugh.gif

QUOTE(linkeong @ Sep 8 2006, 06:29 PM)
Exaggerating the numbers? Streamyx 1mbps could download all the way up to 300gb a month if you let it on 24/7 running at full speed so downloading 160 animes is a piece of cake.
i leave my comp on 24/7/365 but its still quite impposible to reach 300gb permonth
due to dc-ing, and uber good connection provided by streamyx biggrin.gif

juz a rough calculations u will need a constant 100KB every second 24 hours to reach 8.6gig per day. unless u have a uber good speed line which never dc and can stay above the 100KB barrier else i dun see how u can go pass 300gb per month.

mayb ur line is really tat good drool.gif
may i know wats ur best speed? biggrin.gif

if u got some secret recipe to make ur bt download faster pls teach me also thumbup.gif i am noobs blush.gif
seorang
post Sep 8 2006, 08:09 PM

Getting Started
239 posts

QUOTE(linkeong @ Sep 8 2006, 08:29 PM)
You said at 160 animes at a go, most people would take that to mean at the same time.

Also, 300GB a month is being over-optimistic. I run BT 24/7, speeds varying between 50-100kbps, and I'm only doing about 100GB a month. Even if I double speed and usage to 100-200kbps and 200GB a month, thats more than the 1Mb line you're talking about, and nowhere close to 300GB. Not to mention, this is me in australia, with a decently reliable line, not the crap that TMnuts uses.

If you charge high fees such as narutofan or any tazmo site, surely you are taking in profit but RM10 per month, can you find me a place to put a server that cheap? Even if I have 100 users I would even out because of the server cost (more users, more cpu power and ram and bandwidth, so the only profit is I can download for free for myself aka RM10).
I won't debate server costs with you since you know it better than I do, but I'd think most people here agree with me if they think tazmo sites are crap. Thats why sites like stoptazmo exist. Its a matter of principle - who charges for fansubs that were made available at ZERO charge? Just ask the fansub groups whom you're considering adding, and whether they mind or don't mind you adding their work to your paysite. Getting fansub groups' permission to host might be harder than you think, or do you intend to just host the anime without asking?

Donations are one thing, asking people to make regular monthly payments is another. You need to work out what is the main purpose of your site - to make a profit, or to make anime available to people who normally can't get it through IRC or BT. Those two purposes might overlap, but there will be points in time when its one or the other.

*off topic*
About 4chan their senior members arent much of a hacker, mostly script kiddies who boast too much, if you want real hackers hang out at other forums. FYI, my personal accumulated damage is more than RM100k spanning over 6 years and this number is rounded down. **off topic**
*off topic*
Congratulations on showing off your epenor. I'll let 4chan know when you set your site up.

This post has been edited by seorang: Sep 8 2006, 08:22 PM
Dark Steno
post Sep 9 2006, 11:03 AM

baaaaaaa
Group Icon
VIP
4,567 posts

Do you know that MIRC bots are also a form of server? Some fansubs even bought servers just for giving the free services. Whatever you say, either for your server or other shits, simply we look at you as taking profits. Pointing out that your friend has problem getting the anime, that's his problem. He doesn't know how to get it? So, I assume he is a noob. Like I said earlier, your plan on making this stuff MAY ONLY works on fools.

Fansub.tv is offering free direct download, dude. Ask your friend to download it from there.
TSlinkeong
post Sep 9 2006, 02:15 PM

Enthusiast
812 posts

QUOTE(Dark Steno @ Sep 9 2006, 11:03 AM)
Do you know that MIRC bots are also a form of server? Some fansubs even bought servers just for giving the free services. Whatever you say, either for your server or other shits, simply we look at you as taking profits. Pointing out that your friend has problem getting the anime, that's his problem. He doesn't know how to get it? So, I assume he is a noob. Like I said earlier, your plan on making this stuff MAY ONLY works on fools.

Fansub.tv is offering free direct download, dude. Ask your friend to download it from there.
If you want to comment I understand but can't you do it in a more polite manner? Talking rudely constitutes to flaming and I stated please dont flame.
alwizbthere
post Sep 9 2006, 07:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,222 posts

i suggest you close this thread n try to peddle ur hosting stuffs elsewhere
i feel the opinion of lowyatians are pretty clear on ur question, and there's no point continuing it where it might come to the extend of spams and flame wars.....
Dark Steno
post Sep 9 2006, 07:43 PM

baaaaaaa
Group Icon
VIP
4,567 posts

QUOTE(linkeong @ Sep 9 2006, 02:15 PM)
If you want to comment I understand but can't you do it in a more polite manner? Talking rudely constitutes to flaming and I stated please dont flame.
I didn't flame. I pointed out my opinions. Because I am from a fansub group and doing this kind of job. So what? Looking something what I already did for free and someone like you taking profits? Naaaah.

This post has been edited by Dark Steno: Sep 9 2006, 07:44 PM
Aoshi_88
post Sep 9 2006, 10:57 PM

Talking isn't difficult. Speaking is.
4,670 posts

And most if not all fansub groups leave messages on their subs stating that people should not sell their subs for profit. Since most subs do it for free, you're doing it for income at the expense of the fansubs.
gsdfan
post Sep 9 2006, 11:03 PM

Casual
418 posts

.. ahhhh.. looks like vcd ah bengs are revolutionized now.... know how to setup server sumore.

upgraded vdb peddlers.
TSlinkeong
post Sep 10 2006, 12:23 AM

Enthusiast
812 posts

QUOTE(Aoshi_88 @ Sep 9 2006, 10:57 PM)
And most if not all fansub groups leave messages on their subs stating that people should not sell their subs for profit. Since most subs do it for free, you're doing it for income at the expense of the fansubs.
If there were any profit.

QUOTE(gsdfan @ Sep 9 2006, 11:03 PM)
.. ahhhh.. looks like vcd ah bengs are revolutionized now.... know how to setup server sumore.

upgraded vdb peddlers.
Dont know what you are talking about

Fine thread is closing, I have gathered enough members from elsewhere.
seorang
post Sep 10 2006, 12:46 AM

Getting Started
239 posts

So, you still haven't answered the important questions - are you getting permission from the groups who fansubbed/ripped the anime you plan to host, or are you just going to add it anyway?
Dark Steno
post Sep 10 2006, 12:48 AM

baaaaaaa
Group Icon
VIP
4,567 posts

QUOTE(linkeong @ Sep 10 2006, 12:23 AM)
If there were any profit.
DONATION and YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR DOWNLOAD are two different terms.

This post has been edited by Dark Steno: Sep 10 2006, 12:48 AM
Gxen
post Sep 10 2006, 01:09 AM

*sniff sniff*
1,184 posts

QUOTE(Aoshi_88 @ Sep 9 2006, 10:57 PM)
eg :

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Well, yeah its a licence anime... just an example smile.gif

QUOTE(linkeong @ Sep 10 2006, 12:23 AM)

Fine thread is closing, I have gathered enough members from elsewhere.
Good luck

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:12 PM