Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Recommendation for New Tyre 205/55R16, Intend to get new tyres to replace NCT5

views

jaycee1
post Aug 14 2014, 03:28 PM

AFK
2,435 posts

QUOTE(Ekash @ Aug 13 2014, 11:39 PM)
What do you think about the C drive and PS3? Which is more quiet, C Drive or PS3? But definitely PS3 on the high side, but not sure if is comfort/quiet.. If is better than NCT5, is good to consider (but the saw seems need 460 per piece). How about AdvanDB? seems not much ppl selling it.
I can't comment on the quietness of the C Drive Vs. PS3 vs NCT5 since the PS3 was on a different car, however, the NCT5 were ori tyres on the Accord and the Citra, where both was switched to C Drives/C Drive 2 respectively.

In terms of quietness, the C Drive /C Drive 2 were about the same as the NCT5s when new, but as the NCT5 wore down, it got progressively louder. The C Drive on the accord were down to its wear bars but they remained fairly quiet.

The biggest problem with our NCT5s, were that on both cars, they had abnormal wear, which lead to premature replacements, the Accord suffered more severely, 2 sets of Fronts in 30K, the outer edges stated scalloping leading to the tire unable to be balanced. The C drive worked fine on the same standard alignment settings.

Both have about the same amount of dry grip, but the C Drive sidewalls felt softer, and in the case of the Accord and Citra, were fine, since it made the car more comfortable...however, the C Drives may need slightly more air pressure since on both cars, they seem to wear out both the inner and outer thread, a symptom of underinflation.

The other issue is cost, The C-Drives were a lot cheaper than the NCT5s. Bought them at 200/ea for the 195/60/15 and 280 for the 205/60/16 (the replacement NCT5 205/60/16 was 330). These were a good 3-4 years ago so prices would have gone up.

Both C Drives have about 30K-40K on them which seems reasonably durable. Certainly more than the NCT5.

The PS3 is a more performance orientated tyre...it has significantly more dry and wet grip, better turn in and stability and more importantly, the breakaway characteristics are very linear. The PS3 is still a fairly comfortable tire. I wont be hesitant to recommend the PS3 if budget permits.

As a side note, perhaps unrelated or coincidental, I have never had a puncture with the PS3, even with nails in them, it still manages to hold its air. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the cheaper Nangkang RSII and Achelies ATR, which had sidewall failures in about 30 secs from detecting vibration, which means a very rapid loss of air, although I could not find any puncture damage.

user posted image
Achiles ATR Sport

user posted image
Nang Kang RSII

So it may be a wise decision to go with a better tyre, even though it is more expensive.

This post has been edited by jaycee1: Aug 14 2014, 03:34 PM
TSEkash
post Aug 14 2014, 09:02 PM

Getting Started
232 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Aug 14 2014, 03:28 PM)
I can't comment on the quietness of the C Drive Vs. PS3 vs NCT5 since the PS3 was on a different car, however, the NCT5 were ori tyres on the Accord and the Citra, where both was switched to C Drives/C Drive 2 respectively.

In terms of quietness, the C Drive /C Drive 2 were about the same as the NCT5s when new, but as the NCT5 wore down, it got progressively louder. The C Drive on the accord were down to its wear bars but they remained fairly quiet.

The biggest problem with our NCT5s, were that on both cars, they had abnormal wear, which lead to premature replacements, the Accord suffered more severely, 2 sets of Fronts in 30K, the outer edges stated scalloping leading to the tire unable to be balanced. The C drive worked fine on the same standard alignment settings.

Both have about the same amount of dry grip, but the C Drive sidewalls felt softer, and in the case of the Accord and Citra, were fine, since it made the car more comfortable...however, the C Drives may need slightly more air pressure since on both cars, they seem to wear out both the inner and outer thread, a symptom of underinflation.

The other issue is cost, The C-Drives were a lot cheaper than the NCT5s. Bought them at 200/ea for the 195/60/15 and 280 for the 205/60/16 (the replacement NCT5 205/60/16 was 330). These were a good 3-4 years ago so prices would have gone up.

Both C Drives have about 30K-40K on them which seems reasonably durable. Certainly more than the NCT5.

The PS3 is a more performance orientated tyre...it has significantly more dry and wet grip, better turn in and stability and more importantly, the breakaway characteristics are very linear. The PS3 is still a fairly comfortable tire. I wont be hesitant to recommend the PS3 if budget permits.

As a side note, perhaps unrelated or coincidental, I have never had a puncture with the PS3, even with nails in them, it still manages to hold its air. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the cheaper Nangkang RSII and Achelies ATR, which had sidewall failures in about 30 secs from detecting vibration, which means a very rapid loss of air, although I could not find any puncture damage.

user posted image
Achiles ATR Sport

user posted image
Nang Kang RSII

So it may be a wise decision to go with a better tyre, even though it is more expensive.
Wow, quite detailed review.. thx a lot! I might need to for better tyres then.. but since u said NCT5 about on par with C-Drive2 when is new, maybe I shud get sumthing nicer...

The GR100, EY and 3ST are in my consideration, as well as advanDB... but dunnoe which suits me more, and got quote for Nitto NT830 which seems not many ppl using..

This post has been edited by Ekash: Aug 14 2014, 11:21 PM
SUSMatrix
post Aug 14 2014, 09:25 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Aug 14 2014, 03:28 PM)

user posted image
Achiles ATR Sport

user posted image
Nang Kang RSII

Nice sharing...my old CC5 also gets progressively louder ....i think about 20k+ already quiet loud...glad i bought new C-Drive 2! smile.gif
TSEkash
post Aug 16 2014, 06:41 PM

Getting Started
232 posts

I noe P3ST couldn't last long from all the comments I get, but can it last at least 30k with no major change in quality over time?
jeschong
post Aug 20 2014, 05:02 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(Ekash @ Aug 16 2014, 06:41 PM)
I noe P3ST couldn't last long from all the comments I get, but can it last at least 30k with no major change in quality over time?
im not a user but i think most tyre can last 30k km provided you maintain them well.
btw, bro, y dun u consider c1s since itz comfort tyre and within ur budget?
Quazacolt
post Aug 20 2014, 05:39 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Aug 14 2014, 09:25 PM)
Nice sharing...my old CC5 also gets progressively louder ....i think about 20k+ already quiet loud...glad i bought new C-Drive 2! smile.gif
cc5 is just absolutely rubbish doh.gif doh.gif

i'm just a few mm away from TWI with just 10k km
TSEkash
post Aug 20 2014, 10:11 PM

Getting Started
232 posts

QUOTE(jeschong @ Aug 20 2014, 05:02 PM)
im not a user but i think most tyre can last 30k km provided you maintain them well.
btw, bro, y dun u consider c1s since itz comfort tyre and within ur budget?
But heard a lot saying quiet tyres wear out fast, but dunnoe how fast is the fast.. My past driving records was only travelled 12k km each year. So if can last me for 3 years shud be quite good ady.
The price of C1S is about the same/slightly higher than efficientgrip, but not sure which are nicer.. and GR100 is cheaper than most quiet tyres.
overfloe
post Aug 21 2014, 09:46 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

QUOTE(Ekash @ Aug 20 2014, 11:11 PM)
But heard a lot saying quiet tyres wear out fast, but dunnoe how fast is the fast.. My past driving records was only travelled 12k km each year. So if can last me for 3 years shud be quite good ady.
The price of C1S is about the same/slightly higher than efficientgrip, but not sure which are nicer.. and GR100 is cheaper than most quiet tyres.
C1S is more towards comfort-performance oriented, should have better wet traction but wears fast.. i've used efficientgrip before.. not too bad. low noise and comfortable, long lasting.. GR100 is cheapest among these three.. i think it should be more or less the same with efficientgrip.
TSEkash
post Aug 21 2014, 10:02 AM

Getting Started
232 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Aug 21 2014, 09:46 AM)
C1S is more towards comfort-performance oriented, should have better wet traction but wears fast.. i've used efficientgrip before.. not too bad. low noise and comfortable, long lasting.. GR100 is cheapest among these three.. i think it should be more or less the same with efficientgrip.
Thx a lot for the input, seems can aim for efficientgrip/GR100 instead the expensive Primacy 3ST.
overfloe
post Aug 25 2014, 10:06 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

QUOTE(Ekash @ Aug 21 2014, 11:02 AM)
Thx a lot for the input, seems can aim for efficientgrip/GR100 instead the expensive Primacy 3ST.
efficientgrip / GR100 will do fine.. i do not know how much better is the primacy 3st given the price difference.
TSEkash
post Aug 25 2014, 12:06 PM

Getting Started
232 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Aug 25 2014, 10:06 AM)
efficientgrip / GR100 will do fine.. i do not know how much better is the primacy 3st given the price difference.
I will go for the cheapest GR100 before goes for other brands. From my finding, 3ST is about 25-40 higher than efficient grip.
Freddy933
post Aug 26 2014, 02:28 PM

0 posts

Hi all Sifu, anyone using Toyo T1R?? Planning to change, and was recommended this at RM360 per piece at Kajang. Is thisna good deal?? And would like to know the review about T1R.
jeschong
post Aug 26 2014, 03:18 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(Freddy933 @ Aug 26 2014, 02:28 PM)
Hi all Sifu, anyone using Toyo T1R?? Planning to change, and was recommended this at RM360 per piece at Kajang. Is thisna good deal?? And would like to know the review about T1R.
my fren tried before on 215/45/17
according to him, dry grip is good but wet grip is below his expectation (i think he expect very good wet grip due to the aggressive tread)
quite noisy after some mileage but he is ok with it
as conclusion, he wont go back to this tyre tongue.gif
David_78
post Aug 26 2014, 03:22 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

2 choice neuton N5000 or PS3.... both offer same grip, performance neuton N5000 1/4 price of the PS3.
Freddy933
post Aug 26 2014, 03:30 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(jeschong @ Aug 26 2014, 03:18 PM)
my fren tried before on 215/45/17
according to him, dry grip is good but wet grip is below his expectation (i think he expect very good wet grip due to the aggressive tread)
quite noisy after some mileage but he is ok with it
as conclusion, he wont go back to this tyre  tongue.gif
Icic.. I think his expectation like me also.. Coz now on Neuton NT8000, dry acceptable but not as grippy as stock Contisportcontact. Wet u wana cry, skidden once while going through water around 1 inch like this.

Bro, Den what is ur friend using now??
David_78
post Aug 26 2014, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

So far i been loyal on PP2 and PS3... is damn good tyre the problem is pricey abit.
Freddy933
post Aug 26 2014, 04:00 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(David_78 @ Aug 26 2014, 03:38 PM)
So far i been loyal on PP2 and PS3... is damn good tyre the problem is pricey abit.
How much for PS3? What size r u using
ADJ
post Aug 26 2014, 04:12 PM

..::fairlight::..
2,921 posts

TS, go for GR-100 and share your longterm review smile.gif
David_78
post Aug 26 2014, 04:19 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

205/55/16 , RM 420 i think , getting from Klang.... cant remember the shop name
jeschong
post Aug 26 2014, 04:44 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(Freddy933 @ Aug 26 2014, 03:30 PM)
Icic.. I think his expectation like me also.. Coz now on Neuton NT8000, dry acceptable but not as grippy as stock Contisportcontact. Wet u wana cry, skidden once while going through water around 1 inch like this.

Bro, Den what is ur friend using now??
hey bro, sorry, cant remember wat tyre he using now
i think comfort tyre hmm.gif

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0198sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:27 PM