Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

RPG [Devlog] Gangster Tactics: Pile Them Up, Tactics RPG from Malaysia developer

views

TSSethmaster
post May 6 2014, 03:08 AM

Casual
301 posts

Yet another progress report
Finish the round and status manager for the battlefield.
Meanwhile, I also re-factor some of the code for smoother handling.
In addition, I have finish the enemy and player battlefield spawning code.
The enemy is the easy one, the player is the hard one which took me quite a while to do because I mispelt a variable, causing me to spend two hours on debugging why it doesn't work cry.gif .

As usual, gif to show progress

user posted image
The Death Cross gang once again marvel at their teleportation tech that they possess, yet wonder why they are not equipped with laser guns.
TSSethmaster
post May 8 2014, 12:00 AM

Casual
301 posts

And again, the usual progress report

Finish attaching the dialog features with no issue while implementing another much wanted features, the skip conversation button.
While it is annoying to me as a writer to allow people to skip over my writing, especially when I am making a RPG cry.gif , there are a lot of people out there who enjoy gameplay over story. Besides, it allow for a quicker run if anyone wanted to replay my game (hopefully so).

Also finished the battle start screen. Will focus now on creating the initiative UI at the bottom of the screen and initialize all the rest of the battle UIs that I have previously finished.

As usual, the gifs

Not using the skip conversations version
user posted image
For one single moment, Patryk thought somebody remember that today is his birthday

The skip conversations version
user posted image
~Developer-kun~ log 2014 : When I see this feature being used, something inside me die a little

TSSethmaster
post May 11 2014, 01:18 AM

Casual
301 posts

Time for a serving of your usual progress report!

Finish the initiative bar. Bugger take me quite a while to finish because of both the assets and coding required.
But the good news is that I finished it and as usual, can call it with just a function.
Also finish the battlefield selection and scrolling.
Coding the scrolling is easy like hell while the selection require a bit more work since I never done it before.
In addition, I also tune the battlefield placement/deployment screen with some extras to improve the UI's user friendliness.
(Totally not because I forgotten about it in TO the first time around)

As usual, gifs to show progress:
The improvement to the battlefield placement/deployment screen
user posted image
A new and faster way to send your men and women to their doom!

Initiative bar
user posted image
Everyone in the battlefield try not to know how ~Developer-kun~ got the heads for the bottom bar

Scrolling and Selection
user posted image
Although they are curious about why a hovering golden arrow keep popping up in the battlefield

This post has been edited by Sethmaster: May 11 2014, 01:19 AM
TSSethmaster
post May 12 2014, 03:24 AM

Casual
301 posts

Finish all the basic battlefield controls.
The B button to go back to the character whose have the current turn, the Start button to open up the options and the the A button to open up choices regarding the selected character.

With just all that done, I will now concentrate on the save and load features.
Will trying to attempt to have unlimited saves despite what I have stated in the past because I have a good idea on how to implement that without screwing myself over with a lot of workload or causing bugs.

As usual, gifs to show progress

user posted image
Hopefully the quit button is not the first button people pressed when they see my game cry.gif
TSSethmaster
post May 13 2014, 04:28 AM

Casual
301 posts

Finish the save and load features!
Took way more time than I thought because I am an idiot who key in the wrong set of properties and didn't know it until much later.
Yes, the save feature in this game in Unlimited saves biggrin.gif . Moreover, a new save slot is set on the every top of the Save UI so the player have not need to scroll down to get to the empty save slot ala XCOM : EU.
The load work as well as expected.

The next task is to setup all the other features for the options buttons bar and to setup the save and load on much earlier layouts. As usual, these features are designed to be easily called via just a function. Make every features I have connect to each other easily with minimal fuss.
Probably will think of some way to make the save slots look even better.

As usual, gif to show progress

user posted image
Unlimited saves! Now, you can send your ret.... gangsters to die in hilarious ways with no remorse (like you have any before)

TSSethmaster
post May 14 2014, 01:36 AM

Casual
301 posts

Finish the options bar for mission UI and nearly finish it for the battlefield UI, with the exception of the Gangsters List, which gives details about all the people in the fight.

Will finish the Gangsters List UI after this.

As usual, gifs to show progress:
Mission UI Options Bar
user posted image

Battlefield Options Bar
user posted image

zsuperxtreme
post May 14 2014, 02:01 AM

1 posts

Your game is fantastic man. Love the way its look like. What i can say about it is lively biggrin.gif. I also a game developer, but i really have a hard time to make it lively. Maybe we can both share opinion for our games.
TSSethmaster
post May 14 2014, 12:24 PM

Casual
301 posts

QUOTE(zsuperxtreme @ May 14 2014, 02:01 AM)
Your game is fantastic man. Love the way its look like. What i can say about it is lively biggrin.gif. I also a game developer, but i really have a hard time to make it lively. Maybe we can both share opinion for our games.
Thank you.
But I am just a beginner in this so I don't think I can help you a lot. sad.gif
If you think otherwise, post a gif/video of which part of your game you are worried about and I will give my feedback on what could be improved.

zsuperxtreme
post May 14 2014, 06:13 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(Sethmaster @ May 14 2014, 12:24 PM)
Thank you. 
But I am just a beginner in this so I don't think I can help you a lot.  sad.gif
If you think otherwise, post a gif/video of which part of your game you are worried about and I will give my feedback on what could be improved.
Believe me, the way you show the game doesn't look a beginner. Please check my game on facebook below
Facebook

Or download to test it on itunes
Itunes : Survivor 3D

I love my games, but it always end up bad sad.gif i know something is missing.

Can i try your game, its look great to me.

This post has been edited by zsuperxtreme: May 14 2014, 06:16 PM
TSSethmaster
post May 15 2014, 01:42 AM

Casual
301 posts

QUOTE(zsuperxtreme @ May 14 2014, 06:13 PM)
Believe me, the way you show the game doesn't look a beginner. Please check my game on facebook below
Facebook

Or download to test it on itunes
Itunes : Survivor 3D

I love my games, but it always end up bad sad.gif i know something is missing.

Can i try your game, its look great to me.
Sorry, but I don't have the time to play through a game.
You need to simply show me where you believe you got it wrong and then I will give my advise based on that.
Preferably through a short video/gif.
Please understand I don't have much free time. wink.gif
About the testing, sure, once I finish the demo, I will put a link here in this thread smile.gif .

Alright! Finish the Gangsters List UI.
It's pretty simple since it's basically Gang Screen code and assets with small changes.
Also, finish drawing the demo's enemy gang small icon.
And now, you get to know the enemy gang for the demo. biggrin.gif
Onward to movement coding so everyone can walk up and beat up each other.

As usual, gif to show progrees
user posted image
Finally, The Death Cross Gang know the gang that they are facing. Meanwhile, Charles and Rhys finally remember their gang's name
zsuperxtreme
post May 15 2014, 01:03 PM

1 posts

I believe everyone is bz doing something. If u come to casual connect at singapore next week, please spend sometime with us.
TSSethmaster
post May 16 2014, 06:17 AM

Casual
301 posts

QUOTE(zsuperxtreme @ May 15 2014, 01:03 PM)
I believe everyone is bz doing something. If u come to casual connect at singapore next week, please spend sometime with us.
Sorry, but I don't have plans to go there.
Hope you enjoy it smile.gif

TSSethmaster
post May 17 2014, 12:11 AM

Casual
301 posts

Finally finish the movement feature.
Take longer than I thought due to the complexities of Tactics Ogre movement system of which I am inspired by and at least will try to be as robust as theirs.
It isn't hard, just very very tedious as most of the coding is pretty much bashing with a brick of code until the feature relent and do as it is told.
Also finish the end turn feature.

Its time to to give actions and items to these gangsters.
So for my next task, I am going to finish up the items and attacks stats and also finish the individual Stats Screen which is accessible via Gang Screen, Gangsters List and the Stats button

As usual, gifs to show progress

user posted image
Everyone showing off their new green flashlights

user posted image
Much to her friends aghast, Irene is a M

user posted image
After thirty minutes of this, the battle objective switch to "Beat the crap out of Rafaela"
TSSethmaster
post May 21 2014, 03:29 AM

Casual
301 posts

Recently, this game development is featured in RockPaperShotgun biggrin.gif
I always happy to be noticed.
Now, if you read the comments, they are less than favorable though, which is of course, an understatement.
In fact, one person ask me if I going to change anything about my game based on the comments.

My response to him is this:

Frankly, no.
They objected to my style of writing and my sense of humor, which is understandable, given that what I had shown so far is pretty crude. 
While their concerns are valid, I am first and foremost, making a game that me and my friends would enjoy playing and would have no problem recommending to others.
I am not trying to appeal to everyone and I have no problem accepting that some people don't enjoy the light-hearted style of writing that I employ.
After all, I started in this hobby due to my frustration with the lack of robust gameplay in the indie tactics scene and the constant annoying presence of grind in the japanese ones.
There is no rape in the game whatsoever though, you can be sure of that. Just a lot of honest and dishonest violence.  wink.gif

And now that's out of the way, let's talk about progress.
I just finished the items and equipment tables.
Once again, I underestimated the amount of work required to at least have the same level of complexity in these features with Tactics Ogre.
Add balancing to that, which Tactics Ogre apparently did not do at all, the time that it took me is quite a lot.
What I set out to accomplish with balance is to ensure that all equipment and items are functional and viable.
This ensure no broken builds or that one perfect but boring tactic that you use again and again and again.
Time like this, I am happy for my long experience in tabletop gaming.

There is no gif for today, just a more recent mock-up for the stats screen. Going to code it soon.
user posted image

Cheers

TSSethmaster
post May 24 2014, 02:34 PM

Casual
301 posts

Alright, been quite a while since my last progress report.
Finally finish my stats screen, though just the main. All other supporting features; condition, equipment, inventory, etc. coding is still not completed due development exhaustion.
Of course, will do those as soon as I got my dev mojo back.
I have to admit that working through UI code logic is extremely tedious and there's only so much I can slog through each day without puking.
Which is why development at this part was slow and will continue to be slow until I can wrap it up.

Nevertheless, here some gifs as usual to show progress:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

No smart aleck remarks this time around due to dev exhaustion.
helload
post May 26 2014, 07:19 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Looks nice bruh.. Looking forward to this game!

Will there be like class systems? Or individual specialties? So each gang members have varied benefits when used in combat or other objectives, if any..
TSSethmaster
post Jun 1 2014, 08:04 PM

Casual
301 posts

QUOTE(helload @ May 26 2014, 07:19 PM)
Looks nice bruh.. Looking forward to this game!
Thanks bro. Glad you like it biggrin.gif

Will there be like class systems?
Yes. As stated in the first post, character classes in this game is called "stereotypes" to represent how people try to change their behaviors to fit the stereotype their friends and people around them place on them.

Or individual specialties? So each gang members have varied benefits when used in combat or other objectives, if any..
Special NPCs have unique abilities that are different from the stereotypes-granted abilities. Different NPCs will give you different options to you in different part of the game.
In the game overworld, the strategic portion of the game, the stereotype of the gang member you assign to different tasks will have an affect on the results of that assignment, other than their stats and alignment.

No progress report for this week except for some work for the abilities table and coding (not done yet) for both equipment and item screens.
This is due to taking about a week of break to enjoy a game that in my steam backlog that I strangely urged to play after involved in a heated discussion about it (Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition). The DLCs are really fun, in term of story biggrin.gif

Also, this game development will probably be suspended for a while that I am involved in this contest, http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/.
As a developer who just started, I admitted that the prizes that they are offering are just too tempting so I am joining it for a chance to grab them.
TSSethmaster
post Jul 4 2014, 04:29 AM

Casual
301 posts

After a month on Super Nuclear Riders, I took a few days of rest to recover from the fatigue. And those days are over.

So right now, I commencing back on the development of my main game project, Gangster Tactics. And the right back into the previous task when I suspended it, Equipment UI and associated coding.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

TSSethmaster
post Jul 18 2014, 05:39 PM

Casual
301 posts

And another victim for my archives of dead-before-completed set of projects
I am stopping development for Gangster Tactics to work on another new TBS project that seem vastly superior in concept.
Will reveal what it is once I finish a playable prototype of its combat system.

This comic by theMeatly is somehow very relevant to my current situation so enjoy.
user posted image

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:30 PM