Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

57 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

BirdieS~, Parrots, Budgies, Canaries, Lovebirds...

views

TSprophet007
post Jul 21 2006, 11:05 PM

Regular
1,048 posts

ya lor. Anyway, what birds do u have?
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 21 2006, 11:11 PM

www.suggiesathome .wordpress.com
Group Icon
Elite
12,047 posts

got 2 cockatiels.... 1 hill mynah, 1 african grey, 7 fischer lovebirds
bohrlin
post Jul 22 2006, 10:08 AM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(prophet007 @ Jul 16 2006, 11:39 PM)
I usually clip the primary feathers. Around 5-6 feathers. Can't clip too much. If not they cannot land properly.
How to clip the feathers? Cut it?After clip cant fly already?

This post has been edited by bohrlin: Jul 22 2006, 10:10 AM
TSprophet007
post Jul 22 2006, 11:59 AM

Regular
1,048 posts

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jul 21 2006, 11:11 PM)
got 2 cockatiels.... 1 hill mynah, 1 african grey, 7 fischer lovebirds
Wah, so good. got many birds. Afican grey very cute lar. Can mimic people's talking. HOw many words can ur bird learn? And the lovebird also very colourful. U got breed them ?
TSprophet007
post Jul 22 2006, 12:07 PM

Regular
1,048 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 22 2006, 10:08 AM)
How to clip the feathers? Cut it?After clip cant fly already?
Usually juz use a scissors can clip the feathers liao. Clip 5-6 feathers is enough. Then make sure both side also even, if not the bird can glide properly to land. But then, make sure u din cut the blood feather. u can spot the blood feather easily. Usually bigger than others and hard to cut. If you cut these, blood will flow non-stop, but I think apply some flour can do the stopping. I m not sure about these, ask others for opinion.hehe

After ur bird molt, then u need to cut again. Remember, this is not cruel, the feathers will grow back, juz like ur nails. If ur bird flies away, then it is m0re cruel lor.

"Nothing is more beautiful than watching your bird. Nothing is more
heartbreaking than watching it fly outside. " biggrin.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
bohrlin
post Jul 23 2006, 01:29 AM

Getting Started
114 posts

How to train a bird?
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 23 2006, 12:15 PM

Group Icon
Elite
12,047 posts

QUOTE(prophet007 @ Jul 22 2006, 11:59 AM)
Wah, so good. got many birds. Afican grey very cute lar. Can mimic people's talking. HOw many words can ur bird learn? And the lovebird also very colourful. U got breed them ?
My hill mynah talks more words than the African grey. The AG belongs to my brother, can talk about 5 to 6 words and he loves to mimic sounds and whistles... I think the AG is not very talkative loh... even we got as baby and trained it to talk, it would only want to pick up a few words...

We used to breed the fischer lovebirds... but then our breeding pair died of old age... so now left the kids so we don't breed anymore heheeh.... we actually bought a pair and they gave us 9 chicks but 2 died last year from bacteria infection...
TSprophet007
post Jul 23 2006, 04:35 PM

Regular
1,048 posts

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jul 23 2006, 12:15 PM)
My hill mynah talks more words than the African grey. The AG belongs to my brother, can talk about 5 to 6 words and he loves to mimic sounds and whistles... I think the AG is not very talkative loh... even we got as baby and trained it to talk, it would only want to pick up a few words...

We used to breed the fischer lovebirds... but then our breeding pair died of old age... so now left the kids so we don't breed anymore heheeh.... we actually bought a pair and they gave us 9 chicks but 2 died last year from bacteria infection...
wah, nine chicks ar!! So good! How much do you buy for a pair? Post some pics ma.
TSprophet007
post Jul 23 2006, 04:59 PM

Regular
1,048 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 23 2006, 01:29 AM)
How to train a bird?
To train a bird, first u must make it tame. I expect u onli buy one bird. If more than one bird, then the birds will bond to each other rather than to u. then u can start crying liao. cry.gif It is very important to gain the bird's trust, which can be achieved by talking to the bird in soft voice (ok, it is not stupid), then when change the food and water, move ur hand slowly or whistle to the bird. After some time, it will get used to u. Then, hold millet on ur hand and offer to it. First, it will go away, but again, after some time, it will come to ur hand and eat it. A budgie cant resist a millet. After that, it will think ur hand is harmless and can play with. Then make the budgie stand on ur finger INSIDE the cage. U wont know what happen when u take it outside. Put ur finger on the abdomen and push gently. He may or may not step on ur next finger, juz keep trying. After that, u can take it out the cage and play with him. REMEMBER to clip the birds feather. IT IS A MUST if u wan to tame a bird, but u can also train an unclipped bird, juz a bit difficult gua.

This process takes time and patience, so dun sell the bird if he still cannot step on ur finger. This process will take 2-3 months, so even longer, depends on the bird and OWNER.

Besides, there is one training method called clicker training. It is a very good way to train a budgie, but i tink quite difficult. It is like when u click ur clicker one time, it know it is food time (depends on how u train the bird) Most people use tis method on dog but birds also can.

*P.S: the cage is the bird's safe home, so dun grab a bird in its cage.

OK, tis is quite long, but hopefully it is useful. wink.gif
bohrlin
post Jul 24 2006, 09:05 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

i brought 2 bird on 2 day ago. today one of it die. the other one suddenly became tame. In the morning it was scare of me but in the afternoon it was tame.What happen? rclxub.gif
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 24 2006, 09:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
12,047 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 24 2006, 09:05 PM)
i brought 2 bird on 2 day ago. today one of it die. the other one suddenly became tame. In the morning it was scare of me but in the afternoon it was tame.What happen? rclxub.gif
What bird was it? Budgie? Die so fast? Hmmm....
bohrlin
post Jul 24 2006, 09:19 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jul 24 2006, 09:09 PM)
What bird was it? Budgie? Die so fast? Hmmm....
Yeah it is budgie...i think it was sick since @ the pet shop?It was unactive all the time.
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 24 2006, 09:40 PM

Group Icon
Elite
12,047 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 24 2006, 09:19 PM)
Yeah it is budgie...i think it was sick since @ the pet shop?It was unactive all the time.
The feathers were not smooth rite? Normally a sick bird will not have smooth feathers, will tend to sleep more and be inactive.

Well, now you have one, it would want your attention. This is good coz easier for you to tame.
bohrlin
post Jul 24 2006, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jul 24 2006, 09:40 PM)
The feathers were not smooth rite? Normally a sick bird will not have smooth feathers, will tend to sleep more and be inactive.

Well, now you have one, it would want your attention. This is good coz easier for you to tame.
yeah the feather was not smooth. how to cure a sick bird? can put it under sun?it seem to b more actve after sun shine.
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 24 2006, 10:14 PM

Group Icon
Elite
12,047 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 24 2006, 09:54 PM)
yeah the feather was not smooth. how to cure a sick bird? can put it under sun?it seem to b more actve after sun shine.
Curing a sick bird, you would need to giv a vitamin boost from supplements. Then you need to isolate the bird in a quiet place with a heat lamp. It also helps when you cover the cage a bit with a cloth. A few vets can give antibiotics but curing a sick bird is a bit hard. You can get medicine from some petshops but I only know Pudu has this.
bohrlin
post Jul 24 2006, 10:15 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

pudu which shop?the 1 selling fish near the market?what the name of medicine ?how much?
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 24 2006, 10:40 PM

Group Icon
Elite
12,047 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 24 2006, 10:15 PM)
pudu which shop?the 1 selling fish near the market?what the name of medicine ?how much?
Long time I didn't go buy. Pudu has a petshop there. Just ask for medicine for sick bird... they sell in pill form... but I dunno what kind of medicine it is lah, I used for my chickens and some birds last time.
TSprophet007
post Jul 25 2006, 03:32 PM

Regular
1,048 posts

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jul 24 2006, 10:14 PM)
Curing a sick bird, you would need to giv a vitamin boost from supplements. Then you need to isolate the bird in a quiet place with a heat lamp. It also helps when you cover the cage a bit with a cloth. A few vets can give antibiotics but curing a sick bird is a bit hard. You can get medicine from some petshops but I only know Pudu has this.
Ya lor. curing sick birds quite hard, especially small little birds like budgie. The pet shops dont care one, sick or not sick, juz sell. janji got money can liao. So if see these sick birds, do not buy because u think can save the bird. It will onli make the shop keeper think:"wah, sick birds also got people buy ar!" and this practice will go on and on.

Anyway, I hope this site will help : http://www.budgies.org/info/health/sick.html

Regarding the bird u now have, u can start training it. Remember to buy spray millet for ur budgie. What is the gender? A he or she?
bohrlin
post Jul 26 2006, 02:31 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(prophet007 @ Jul 25 2006, 03:32 PM)
Ya lor. curing sick birds quite hard, especially small little birds like budgie.  The pet shops dont care one, sick or not sick, juz sell. janji got money can liao. So if see these sick birds, do not buy because u think can save the bird. It will onli make the shop keeper think:"wah, sick birds also got people buy ar!" and this practice will go on and on.

Anyway, I hope this site will help : http://www.budgies.org/info/health/sick.html

Regarding the bird u now have, u can start training it. Remember to buy spray millet for ur budgie. What is the gender? A he or she?
is a male. wat is a spray millet. What to train it?come when call?haha icon_rolleyes.gif
TSprophet007
post Jul 26 2006, 02:43 PM

Regular
1,048 posts

QUOTE(bohrlin @ Jul 26 2006, 02:31 PM)
is a male. wat is a spray millet. What to train it?come when call?haha icon_rolleyes.gif
u can find that millet in most pet shop. Err, I also dun noe what to train a budgie.lol. The most common one is to step up on ur finger. If u are good at training, then u can teach the bird to make some kind of sound like kissing sound. Some even can mimic the telephone ringing tone and can say some words. But mostly depends on the bird loh. If the bird IQ low, then canot learn too much. lol

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

57 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM