Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> which breast pump to get?

views

TScatherinessc
post Jan 24 2014, 12:01 AM, updated 7y ago

On my way
541 posts

Hi all, I am looking to buy a good breast pump. So far I am still looking around and found that Specra S1 and mendela free style was highly recommended. Well, anyone tried any of that before? Can u share the experience with me? Also I would like to know where to get it. TIA

This post has been edited by catherinessc: Jan 25 2014, 06:15 PM
sonerin
post Jan 24 2014, 12:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

Medela free style is the most reliable
dp82
post Jan 24 2014, 02:45 AM

On my way
662 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Jan 24 2014, 12:44 AM)
Medela free style is the most reliable
My Queen is using one as well. So far so good.
vandoren
post Jan 24 2014, 08:48 AM

Casual
488 posts

medela freestyle is famous of its light weight and hands free, suitable for working mummies who need to pump during work. The cons is the parts are quite expensive.

For spectra S1, heard many reviews that it's quite good, a hospital grade breast pump, quiet and good suction power and cheaper compare to freestyle

sonerin
post Jan 24 2014, 09:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

When comes to suction power medela freestyle is the best
vandoren
post Jan 24 2014, 10:25 AM

Casual
488 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Jan 24 2014, 09:41 AM)
When comes to suction power medela freestyle is the best
my personal experience is, medela PISA has better suction power compare to freestyle
may I know which level of suction you are using? because so far i gone through reviews, freestyle is not famous of strong suction power
breaker84
post Jan 24 2014, 10:33 AM

\\//\\//\\//\\//
1,696 posts

what ever u buy don't go for pureen
use several minute then need shut down, then start again...

for me ask the seller which come with
1. a light massage... (some model got vibrate, act as a massage)
2. the funnel that u put at your breast must be slant (condong) one, other wise the milk keep spill or you need to bent your body...
3. ask there the motor warranty, usually after several month of heavy use, the sucking power started decrease.. so ask them can they do the maintenance to the motor...

regards
lilyzhaowei
post Jan 24 2014, 10:49 AM

21 posts

Medela Freestyle. Try to survey the price first. But as i am aware, babyhouz selling the cheapest (bought last year for rm1350)
miQbals
post Jan 24 2014, 11:24 AM

Getting Started
186 posts

I bought Unimom Forte for my wife which cost about RM400. It is almost 5 years old & still working perfectly.

http://infobluegg.en.ec21.com/Electric_Bre...40_5973662.html

This is the old/my model. Also support dual pump...
UpCar
post Jan 24 2014, 11:57 AM

Regular
1,612 posts

pigeon gave me no troubles so i'll say pigeon.

http://www.pigeon.com.sg/index.php?page=sh...emart&Itemid=40
vandoren
post Jan 24 2014, 12:21 PM

Casual
488 posts

QUOTE(lilyzhaowei @ Jan 24 2014, 10:49 AM)
Medela Freestyle. Try to survey the price first. But as i am aware, babyhouz selling the cheapest (bought last year for rm1350)
yup, i bought from them also... but due to it's US unit, the one year warranty is provided by babyhouz, not medela m'sia.
sometimes medela had sales where the price of freestyle can goes to rm1600, mummies who concern local warranty may consider it.
kucingfight
post Jan 24 2014, 02:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
5,530 posts

My wifey using freestyle. Didn't had a breakdown
She's now looking for PISA as twin pumping is more convenient
sonerin
post Jan 24 2014, 03:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(vandoren @ Jan 24 2014, 10:25 AM)
my personal experience is, medela PISA has better suction power compare to freestyle
may I know which level of suction you are using? because so far i gone through reviews, freestyle is not famous of strong suction power
You have actually tried both before ? With just level 3 the suction is good enough. If go to max is totally powerful
vandoren
post Jan 24 2014, 03:39 PM

Casual
488 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Jan 24 2014, 03:36 PM)
You have actually tried both before ? With just level 3 the suction is good enough. If go to max is totally powerful
yes, i never go to max, but lv3, wont you feel too soft? normally i use lv 3-5, change in between to trigger more let down
talexeh
post Jan 24 2014, 03:53 PM

One man's meat is another man's poison.
2,385 posts

I got my wife Medela Freestyle set for RM1.8K & she was using it for office pumping. Recently there's a problem with the suction power & I got her a Spectra S1 for RM875 as backup. She has used the S1 once & she managed to empty both sides faster.

The only cons for Spectra is that it's not as user-friendly as the Freestyle since it didn't come with any clip & you'll have to use both hands to hold the suction cups or modify your nursing bra to be able to hold the cups by themselves.
athur
post Jan 25 2014, 01:12 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

m using avent double electric pump and though its more expensive but so for ok for my wife/
TScatherinessc
post Jan 25 2014, 06:22 PM

On my way
541 posts

The tempting part is the s1's price is half of the mendela free style...

keii-kun
post Jan 26 2014, 11:52 PM

Regular
1,120 posts

katherine, sometimes pumps does not guarantee the moms' production. some moms used avent manual pumps and managed to express more than others.

medela freestyle, with its pricetag, does somehow create an expectation to be able to express more, easily. many recommended medela freestyle as it usually works fine to the majority, but there are some majority who found it is not as good as other, i.e spectra or avent.

if cost is an issue, you can always find used medela freestyle half the price , esp from mothers who stopped pumping after 6mth. just need to get your consumable parts. the main thing is the pump.

bought my medela freestyle directly from ebay us, around rm1.1k, no problem for my wife who managed to breastfeed for 14mth while working.

Carinmanfong
post Jan 27 2014, 06:11 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

i have avent manual and double elec pump. both work well for me and i have bf-ing until 1.5yrs to date. no major prob just rubber parts need to be replaced when the suction getting weaker.

if you have budget concern.. for a start, i suggest a good manual pump. u can pump 1side and DL another side at the same time. you will yield more. baby is still the best pump though.

i feel a manual pump is as good as a double elec pump. just that i can "let down" with my avent double elec pump and it save half of the time compared to manual pump.
TScatherinessc
post Jan 27 2014, 09:19 AM

On my way
541 posts

Have tried manual pump before. Ended up with sore hands. I agree that there are other factors that contributes to the production of milk.

-nutritious food
-Baby latching correctly
-plenty of waters
-No stress

For those who naturally has a lot of breast milk, I think the manual ones should be good enough.

For mummies with less supply, an auto one will be a lot of help as less tiring pumping manually.

I can get mendela free style if i want. Its just that there are some reviews by mummies overseas that the spectra is a lot more quiet and the pump perform quite well. So why not get the cheaper one if the performance is good. (Of course mendela free style is more versatile).

Hence I am researching before buying one. I find spectra is not as common as mendela free style among mummies locally.

Regardless, thanks for all opinions and suggestions given and all that coming in the future. Its good to gather experience from experinced mummies/daddies.

smile.gif

talexeh
post Jan 27 2014, 02:26 PM

One man's meat is another man's poison.
2,385 posts

QUOTE(catherinessc @ Jan 27 2014, 09:19 AM)
Have tried manual pump before. Ended up with sore hands. I agree that there are other factors that contributes to the production of milk.

-nutritious food
-Baby latching correctly
-plenty of waters
-No stress

For those who naturally has a lot of breast milk, I think the manual ones should be good enough.

For mummies with less supply, an auto one will be a lot of help as less tiring pumping manually.

I can get mendela free style if i want. Its just that there are some reviews by mummies overseas that the spectra is a lot more quiet and the pump perform quite well. So why not get the cheaper one if the performance is good. (Of course mendela free style is more versatile).

Hence I am researching before buying one. I find spectra is not as common as mendela free style among mummies locally.

Regardless, thanks for all opinions and suggestions given and all that coming in the future. Its good to gather experience from experinced mummies/daddies.

smile.gif
Spectra is a Korean brand hence there might be a reason why it's not marketed as aggressively as Western brand.

My colleagues who spent a number of years in the UK claimed that Spectra is very much widely used there.
keii-kun
post Jan 29 2014, 09:30 AM

Regular
1,120 posts

katherine, of course more mommies know about medela freestyle cos many of their friends IG or fb shows they have medela fs. the good thing about medela fs is you can pump while driving. especially when stuck in jam. it is really helpful when it is getting engorged.

if spectra do and able to perform as well as fs in relaxed pumping mode (i.e sit down ) then why not?
holdredial1234
post Feb 3 2014, 01:58 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(keii-kun @ Jan 29 2014, 09:30 AM)
katherine, of course more mommies know about medela freestyle cos many of their friends IG or fb shows they have medela fs. the good thing about medela fs is you can pump while driving. especially when stuck in jam. it is really helpful when it is getting engorged.

if spectra do and able to perform as well as fs in relaxed pumping mode (i.e sit down ) then why not?
I have a medela for sale please pm me thx

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.82    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th December 2020 - 04:31 PM