Fishing Thread v12, Rod, Reel, Lures!

ex24dec02
post Oct 9 2016, 10:27 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(iFake322 @ Oct 9 2016, 08:40 PM)
Hello sifu2.

Real newbie here with completely zero fishing experience and very interested to do some fishing during free time.

I'm staying pretty near to Puchong D'Island and I know it's a famous fishing spot.

Any sifu can give advice where to get a fair price of fishing gear(fishing rod and necessary equipment) in Puchong and what are the bait to used at that pond.
Don't need any branded or superb rod. Just basic and good some decent sizes of fish will do.

Thanks smile.gif
I am no pro but i know one place at puchong. Digital tackle. Seem like the price quite reasonable
ex24dec02
post Oct 11 2016, 02:03 PM

208 posts

Hi all. Just want to share our catch during weekend trip pulau sembilan last week.

Tried jigging for the first time but failed to get any contact. Any sifu here into jigging? Want to learn hands on with sifu2 if possible.
ex24dec02
post Oct 12 2016, 12:42 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(faujc99 @ Oct 11 2016, 09:03 PM)
wow that's a lot of fish...overnight trip? bottom?
can intro boatman ah?  thumbup.gif
Bottom fishing. Took package under seaview resort pangkor since all known boatmen fully booked. Fishing from 10am-10pm.

QUOTE(katsumoto2011 @ Oct 11 2016, 11:41 PM)
the owner stock up chao phraya and mekong few weeks before
from the facebook page seem to be quite average
slow jigging or micro jig ?

btwthe pulau 9 is a very good trip , curious was it a overnight trip ?
Looking for slow jigging. Btw not overnight trip. Fishing from 10am-10pm. Timing not really good since "air mati" at pulau 9. Change port a lot around p9 and pangkor.

This post has been edited by ex24dec02: Oct 12 2016, 12:45 PM
ex24dec02
post Oct 17 2016, 09:14 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(katsumoto2011 @ Oct 17 2016, 05:57 PM)
Bite rate was good but only if less people come disturb the fish it would be even awesome
Nice.. Let me know when will be next session if free might interested in joining. Can learn how to mix bait with sifu smile.gif
ex24dec02
post Feb 20 2017, 01:20 PM

208 posts

Guys, can recommend me tekong at pangkor area with boat capacity of 8@10pax? Been looking everywhere but most of them are small boat under 6
ex24dec02
post Feb 27 2017, 03:30 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(littlebabybum @ Feb 26 2017, 03:06 PM)
Hey guys! I have a spinning rod that has "Lure wt: 1/16 - 1/2 oz" written on it.  Will I damage the rod if I exceed the lure weight when casting?  Can I cast a 5/8 or 3/4 oz lure with the rod without damaging it? Obviously I can reel in fish or weeds weighing more than a pound, but that's a different sort of strain on the rod than casting.
The rating mentioned on rod are for reference only. Meaning u will get most of the rod by using the recommended setting.
ex24dec02
post Mar 5 2017, 06:17 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(zhou.xingxing @ Mar 5 2017, 04:52 PM)
hi guys planning to try deepseafishing. but got no deepsea rod. any recommendation? what should i prepare for the trip?
For rod i can recommend ugly stik tiger around 300ish. As for the reel multiplier with low ratio is a must. Electric reel aka bangla is optional but also become a must depending on fishing depth.
ex24dec02
post Mar 6 2017, 01:03 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(zhou.xingxing @ Mar 6 2017, 01:34 AM)
That is for casting is it?  I only know bottom
It is for bottom. There are also type for casting. When talk about deep sea ranging over 50m u need to use big sinker to make sure your bait reach bottom. Sinker can range from few hundred gram to a few kgs. In this situation, lower ratio multiplier will provide ease to anglers due to low ratio and perpendicular spool axis. I just new to this fishing world but have done some reading. Maybe other experts have additonal info to add.

Btw, just want to share I have a friend who brought spinning reel during our first deep bottom trip. He didn't catch any and sleep throught the day.
ex24dec02
post Mar 6 2017, 03:38 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(zhou.xingxing @ Mar 6 2017, 01:44 PM)
i see. so i just get the ugly stik tiger plus 1 reel right? reel is drum type or depends on preference? mind sharing ur reading materials? wanna get more info too . thanks  icon_rolleyes.gif
The ugly stik is just my preference because i found it is quite popular among bottom fishing and affordable. Any other rod should be ok as long it comes with high PE rating (above 4). Drum type Is ok but better find ratio around 4-5 for general use. Spinning is a big no for me. I owned a conventional reel with high ratio 6.2:1 can feel a bit heavy during reel in my size 18 sinker. If got budget also can consider two speed reel. Wider application due to have both high and low gear.

As for reading material, you can just google around. Many information available out there.
ex24dec02
post Mar 6 2017, 05:09 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(zhou.xingxing @ Mar 6 2017, 03:41 PM)
ok thanks. i will google around later tonight then. any pantang or not? hmm.gif
Pantang? Haha this one i am not really sure. I guess open sea less pantang kot
ex24dec02
post Mar 6 2017, 10:08 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(katsumoto2011 @ Mar 6 2017, 09:11 PM)
full name is call Shakespeare ugly stik tiger rod 
this model been in the market for almost 30 years

getting a solid reputation of unbreakable fishing rod
is famous to use as a bottom fishing rod

I would recommend you try getting
make in USA ( Very RARE) but not the make in china
Is there any difference in term of performance and durability between both of them? USA made going around 500 for new old stock but china one only around 300++.
ex24dec02
post Mar 11 2017, 01:50 AM

208 posts

QUOTE(upcars @ Mar 10 2017, 06:44 PM)
jig on melaka straits especially klang need 180gm minimum on usual basis. 200,230,250 is standard la. current so strong.

if u go further down nearer to indon water then u need 250,280,300.
if u go further up north to jarak/sembilan, then need 150,180,200.

unless tekong bring u 10m depth near carey island then u 120gm enuf liao.

u go south cina sea that side like rompin, pekan, mersing, seidili , use 40-80gm also nice liao. not deep and calmer waters unless u near monsoon season. on usual time like march, april, then best lor, use 40-80gm micro jig also can up many tengiri .
Wow seem like u know a lot about jigging. Any open trip in the near future? I have jigging gear but don't have guru to learn with. Also now looking forward for my 1st jigging licence. Trial and error before but no result.

QUOTE(katsumoto2011 @ Mar 10 2017, 10:45 PM)
ugly stick is soft

but not ugly stick tiger .......
with the correct lb rod , it can handle any weight you throw at it.....
I second this

ex24dec02
post Mar 13 2017, 09:44 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(upcars @ Mar 13 2017, 06:20 PM)
u get good tekong help u. i not yet fully trained. nobody can know everything except unker david aka ironman. jig technique cannot just watch utube to learn. u get basic knowledge from utube ok la. real llife u dunno how hard they jerk or how hard they apply force for fast jig, how the speed pace, how the lift, how much they spool in. so get good tekong willing to share.
i go out alot with unker david. for 9 years oredi. i think maybe i got 3% of his knowledge in fishing. ah chuah got more because he got more deep pokets. my finance is limited bajet.

my advice is get a good jigging tekong help u. u chartter his boat out, learn from him. he can tell u weather conditions and the gear to prepare.

if klang u no use heavy jig is will float till heaven. i just came back klang yesterday. super strong undercurrent. jig weight around 300gm only can reach bottom. normal usual days, u can use 150gm-200gm. hardly u can use 40gm. if in klang water u can use 40gm means is called air mati. during air mati, u drop what shit also wont catch anything 1. trust me on this. experienced tekong can advice u .

klang water is roughly 15m-65m depend on tide. 15m usually is lepak place for tengiri . u jig must fast run mid jig range with fast retrieve. tengiri is chase fish. if u nothing for them chase, u will spook them.

so some things to consider when jigging

1 - water depth. (how deep , the how heavy the gear, the jigs colors u use. got color spectrum underwater u can refer to chart using google)
2 - target fish. u wan target what fish will depend on jig style. slow jig, fast jig, crank bait, jerkbait, softbait, micro jigging, fast retrieve, slow retrieve, bottom dwelller, top dweller etc etc
3 - sea conditions. high tide mean strong current and means u need heavier jig if u wan reach bottom and not let your partner fak 97 u.
4 - location. if u fish in klang and expect a marlin or dolphin and u prepared your setup for it, then u will dissapoint. if u bring popper setup to kuala selangor u will be dissapoint. so see location and what fish available thhere.
with this in mind u can prepare your gears.
i give u 2 example.

1 - klang

if u fish in klang yesterday, i went 30nm off carey, i know the depth area is around 40m. water is not clear, undercurrent super strong around 3knot and i am target jenahak and tengiri and baracuda.

so i prepared, 5000 reel with 30lb braid and 50lb leader 3 depa cause is deep and fish is with sharp gigi, rod i use senses pe 3-6 cause jig weight will be about 300gm-350gm. yes i use spinning reel with slow fall jig and slow pitch rod. i not like open reel. my thumb pain. jig color used to be yellow and oren but since i use for 2 years oredi, all color come out and become silver. my jig is for target tengiri/baracuda so i drop between 5m-15m. i no play jenahak bottom dweller or tong gas.

2 - mersing

if u fish in mersing yesterday, which is high tide coz my friend just balik from there, the depth around pulau sri buat is 30m. water is clear, undercurrent strong around 1.1knot and target is tengiri.

so prepare 4000 reel with 20lb braid and 50lb leader 3 depa cause not deep but gigi super sharp. rod can use pe 0.8-1 or 1-2/1-3 cause jig weight will be 40gm-80gm. chase tengiri is fast retrieve so crankbait good. if no crankbait can fast retrieve 40-60gm metal jig also. put bulu just in case. they say bulu very good to attract tengiri but i no try before.
so u see, the setup of diff location, diff time, diff target fish, diff undercurrent , diff water visibility all take into consider. u must know where u gonna fish, what time, when and determine how u wanna fish.

u can jig, fast or slow. u can soft bait, but that also got fast and slow. u can bottom, which is apolo or reban. u can crankbait for tengiri or GT. popping dun play la. damn tiring 1. need teknik to popping and not easy wor. i try before after 3 minit i give up liao. the popping rod so stiff i think can use make as tiang for house ah.

anyway i hope this help u little bit by little bit. many thing to learn for jigging. i also tableh habis learning 1.
okuma good. helios for mid jigging. cedros for bottom fishing. they got baitrunner series very good very effective. can compare with even better than shimano baitrunner.  of all the okuma reel, i most like is their trio 55s  i think. baitrunner. is good for bottom/deep sea 1.
they also got nice rod, pe1 i think, nemesis. very nice feel like abu garcia verdict but less than 1/2 the price. i remember last time i wanted the verdict. RM 300+ then i discover nemesis. RM 95. i straight wanted buy nemesis. end up i go buy expert graphite i regret like shit. i kena poison by friend buy EG. i shudda bought nemesis.
Woah looks like u are very experience in jigging. Me just start serious fishing less than a year. Mainly turun port klang area. Doing bottom only so far. Wanna try jigging but looks like very specific. I have a light jigging set omoto shogun with gomuko kaiten pe2.5 with dr braid pe1.2 26lbs. Been searching for jigging opportunities preferably with experienced jigger to learn a thing or two about jigging.

ex24dec02
post Mar 14 2017, 10:29 AM

208 posts

QUOTE(zhou.xingxing @ Mar 13 2017, 11:33 PM)
He intro me 4k size one oh
Honestly 4k size is too small to be considered as deep sea bottom setup. Deep sea reel need to hold lots of line and comes with low gear ratio to be able to lift heavy sinker. If u want to fish at muara then size 4k is ok. Btw, where are u planning to fish?

This post has been edited by ex24dec02: Mar 14 2017, 10:30 AM
ex24dec02
post Mar 28 2017, 06:23 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(DeepBluez @ Mar 28 2017, 02:24 PM)
If you're interested for any types of jigging, I have charter for Lumut (Pulau Jarak), Port Dickson and Melaka every month for whole year (2017). Beginner or professional are welcome. We can share knowledge together.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
Wah interesting. Can PM me more info on this? smile.gif
ex24dec02
post Apr 3 2017, 10:57 PM

208 posts

Anyone know where can i get stainless steel rod holder? Budget below 100. Clamp type. Or can recommend any steel workshop that can fabricate?
ex24dec02
post Apr 20 2017, 11:34 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(katsumoto2011 @ Apr 20 2017, 10:29 PM)
Next Monday got fishing trip
Port Klang one day trip , who interested ???

Bottom fishing
Paloh?
ex24dec02
post Apr 25 2017, 08:00 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(upcars @ Apr 25 2017, 06:31 PM)
a challenger has arrived

50+kg cobia in klang waters (not zeezone)
lightest geaar on board the boat ........1 hour 22 minutes to bring up.
Jigging trip?
ex24dec02
post Apr 29 2017, 10:12 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(upcars @ Apr 28 2017, 05:58 PM)
ANGLING EXPO at setia city convention today tomorow and sunday. 28-30

alot of goodie bag.

for more info

https://www.facebook.com/aorfair/
Got mine yesterday

ex24dec02
post May 2 2017, 02:59 PM

208 posts

QUOTE(upcars @ May 2 2017, 08:23 AM)
fuuuuuuuu best wei. u waited for daily lucky draw and grand draw ? i know the grand prize is stella 4000
Yes grand prize stella 4000. Our group just managed to get 13th place. This is from the last day of event.

0.0506sec    0.31    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:51 PM