Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Pirated DS Games In China, NOT those cheapo GBA carts!

views

TSsatanduck
post Jun 15 2006, 08:44 AM, updated 18y ago

Getting Started
292 posts

Check out this Chinese web site...

http://www.yyjoy.com/yy/?p=842

Apparently these are being sold as originals. Be careful and always get from reputable dealers!

The way to distinguish seems to be as seen in the last picture. Apparently these have sprung up on eBay already!
deathbringer
post Jun 15 2006, 09:13 AM

I'll Pwn j00 !!
1,158 posts

lol...i just came back from china recently....saw numerous "ahem" DS games on sale, all nicely packed in their boxes. looks like the real deal, but only roughly RM25-40 after conversion and bargaining. smile.gif
DjiNn
post Jun 15 2006, 10:26 AM

~||Noob Game Console Advisor||~
Store Representative
7,931 posts

QUOTE(deathbringer @ Jun 15 2006, 09:13 AM)
lol...i just came back from china recently....saw numerous "ahem" DS games on sale, all nicely packed in their boxes. looks like the real deal, but only roughly RM25-40 after conversion and bargaining. smile.gif
laugh.gif you at china ? can buy one for sovinier or not ? for me la ! laugh.gif
ray_
post Jun 15 2006, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
165 posts

I had so much problem with crappy cloned GBA karts (EEPROM fails to retain saved data, kart that just don't work) that I've decided to stick to original DS kart after I've got my swanky new NDS lite.

You don't need to get all the DS karts out there, just buy the ones you really like. If you're short on cash just trade your original ones here with fellow NDS enthusiast. In a long run you'll be getting more from your original karts than your cloned ones.

This post has been edited by ray_: Jun 15 2006, 11:08 AM
mitodna
post Jun 15 2006, 11:43 AM

Getting Started
All Stars
14,033 posts

Which is real, and which not real?

mitodna
clemong_888
post Jun 15 2006, 02:37 PM

どんど晴れ
2,502 posts

i tot u could find ahem ones here? almost any shop sells it. some in sw sells it almost as exp as ori ones. just be careful.
DjiNn
post Jun 15 2006, 02:39 PM

~||Noob Game Console Advisor||~
Store Representative
7,931 posts

QUOTE(clemong_888 @ Jun 15 2006, 02:37 PM)
i tot u could find ahem ones here? almost any shop sells it. some in sw sells it almost as exp as ori ones. just be careful.
here currently got GBA catridge only. (which stores the file into the GBA catridge [NDS Games] )

until now I still haven't see any of those yet. smile.gif
lordzarx
post Jun 15 2006, 03:21 PM

On My Way
776 posts

waa
now got nds pirate cart

it l00k like nintendo game cart very easy to copy

Pr1me_Minister
post Jun 15 2006, 03:44 PM

Casual
Group Icon
Staff
314 posts

It's easy to detect which one is fake. Just look for the gold connector.
TSsatanduck
post Jun 15 2006, 05:06 PM

Getting Started
292 posts

hmmm I think that link also says in order to use this you need to have a flashed unit... I guess the cart doesn't have the encryption also...

How are they gonna pass this on as originals if you need a flashed DS? Strange...
intothefantasy
post Jun 15 2006, 05:12 PM

Regular
1,558 posts

damn....is wish umd can be pirated also
greyshadow
post Jun 15 2006, 05:37 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

fyi... umd already got "ahem" version for long time lor....
Mudmaniac
post Jun 15 2006, 08:28 PM

Creepy Uncle Liar
Group Icon
1,154 posts

it doesnt work. if you look at DRM from a crypto point of view, original game detection and copy protection is like trying to break a code where you already have both the plain text and the cypher text. reconstructing and circumventing such systems is only a function of time.

In the end, the only people who have the power and right to prevent piracy are people themselves.
ray_
post Jun 15 2006, 11:32 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
165 posts

QUOTE(Mudmaniac @ Jun 15 2006, 08:28 PM)
it doesnt work. if you look at DRM from a crypto point of view, original game detection and copy protection is like trying to break a code where you already have both the plain text and the cypher text. reconstructing and circumventing such systems is only a function of time.

In the end, the only people who have the power and right to prevent piracy are people themselves.
It's virtually impossible to break a public key cypher nowadays. In fact the death knell of the PSP security is not the cypher, its cypher is intact and has never been broken into. It is actually a vunerability of the firmware. Crackers were able to circumvent this by fooling the PSP into running their custom built cracking codes. Thus circumventing the need to authenticate your games. The gist of it is to get PSP to run the cracker's code in privilege mode that allows you to put a non-authenticated EBOOT into the PSP system space, that non-authenticated EBOOT is modified to run your pirated UMDs without requiring any authentication.

You can get more information here smile.gif

EDIT: This is the same reason for the need to reflash your NDS firmware to play ROMs and pirated cartridges, essentially to place cracking codes that circumvents authentication.

This post has been edited by ray_: Jun 15 2006, 11:39 PM
thaisxs
post Jun 15 2006, 11:37 PM

gay master
686 posts

it cant run without flashme or passme biggrin.gif

this cart 1 year ago oledi appear in the market . OEM rox

mitodna
post Jun 16 2006, 12:24 AM

Getting Started
All Stars
14,033 posts

Err, I just tought about some common sense to detact fake one.

1.) The price, may be half price from the original
2.) The box, the packaging how? (The pic just for the cart itself)
- Maybe the fake one would have shiny seal, hehe
3.) Gold pin and the cart build itself is the last thing you would do, properly you would check after you bought it.

mitodna
Mudmaniac
post Jun 16 2006, 01:42 AM

Creepy Uncle Liar
Group Icon
1,154 posts

QUOTE(ray_ @ Jun 15 2006, 11:32 PM)
It's virtually impossible to break a public key cypher nowadays. In fact the death knell of the PSP security is not the cypher, its cypher is intact and has never been broken into. It is actually a vunerability of the firmware. Crackers were able to circumvent this by fooling the PSP into running their custom built cracking codes. Thus circumventing the need to authenticate your games. The gist of it is to get PSP to run the cracker's code in privilege mode that allows you to put a non-authenticated EBOOT into the PSP system space, that non-authenticated EBOOT is modified to run your pirated UMDs without requiring any authentication.

You can get more information here smile.gif

EDIT: This is the same reason for the need to reflash your NDS firmware to play ROMs and pirated cartridges, essentially to place cracking codes that circumvents authentication.
I dunno. I have a cousin whose really into EC and RSA type public key cryptosystems who always tells me that having enough plaintext/cyphertext pair will be the undoing of any cypher by a cracker. My own knowledge in this is 6 years old and I dont have detailed knowledge of the workings of the DS authentication system.

I hope you know tho, that virtually impossible means "very long time" and that kinda time function decreases with each new generation of computer hardware.
ray_
post Jun 16 2006, 09:23 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
165 posts

QUOTE(Mudmaniac @ Jun 16 2006, 01:42 AM)
I dunno. I have a cousin whose really into EC and RSA type public key cryptosystems who always tells me that having enough plaintext/cyphertext pair will be the undoing of any cypher by a cracker. My own knowledge in this is 6 years old and I dont have detailed knowledge of the workings of the DS authentication system.

I hope you know tho, that virtually impossible means "very long time" and that kinda time function decreases with each new generation of computer hardware.
I know zit about how DS authentication works either. But I'm pretty sure it's easier to alter codes that does the authentication than to do the crazy maths that's involved to break a cipher. biggrin.gif

A 1024-bit keysize will take 300,000,000,000 MIPS-year to crack. That is, it takes a CPU running at 1,000,000 million instructions per year 300,000,000,000 years to crack. To put things in perspective, the current lean-and-mean 1billion transistors Itanium would probably have a best estimate of 125,000 million instructions per second. You'll need a super-computer to get any result at all. That is a very long time to deduce a private key.

But the hash function (MD5/SHA-1) required for text signing does seems easier to break. In fact, I've heard of one successful attempt. Using collision detection, one could spoof your signature. Still this is pretty hard, and it gets harder as the hash digest size increases. There's 4 billion chance you could get a collision with a 32-bit hash digest and SHA-1 uses 160-bit hash!

And the beauty of this is that as time passes and new hardware surfaces, we'll just be seeing bigger crypto key size and bigger hash digest that would exponentially increase the time that a cracker would take to compromise them.

You can get more info on public key crypto attacks here. PGP is a popular public key encryption program.

This post has been edited by ray_: Jun 16 2006, 09:48 AM
Mudmaniac
post Jun 16 2006, 01:09 PM

Creepy Uncle Liar
Group Icon
1,154 posts

QUOTE(ray_ @ Jun 16 2006, 09:23 AM)
A 1024-bit keysize will take 300,000,000,000 MIPS-year to crack. That is, it takes a CPU running at 1,000,000 million instructions per year 300,000,000,000 years to crack. To put things in perspective, the current lean-and-mean 1billion transistors Itanium would probably have a best estimate of 125,000 million instructions per second. You'll need a super-computer to get any result at all. That is a very long time to deduce a private key.

But the hash function (MD5/SHA-1)  required for text signing does seems easier to break. In fact, I've heard of one successful attempt. Using collision detection, one could spoof your signature. Still this is pretty hard, and it gets harder as the hash digest size increases. There's 4 billion chance you could get a collision with a 32-bit hash digest and SHA-1 uses 160-bit hash!

You can get more info on public key crypto attacks here. PGP is a popular public key encryption program.
http://www.bottledlight.com/ds/index.php/Misc/FAQ

look at the last question.
ray_
post Jun 16 2006, 02:49 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
165 posts

QUOTE(Mudmaniac @ Jun 16 2006, 01:09 PM)
You seem pretty adamant. laugh.gif

I highly doubt that.

http://www.bottledlight.com/ds/index.php/H...are/Passthrough

"A passthrough technique is required, since the DS BIOS enables encryption after reading the header, and the encryption is not fully understood."

How could they not understand the encryption used and claim that it is broken. Further more Passthrough is really a technic to bypass the need to read from the header to prevent DS from enabling encryption. Again by altering the behaviour of the code.

EDIT: Also the same person that claims that the cartridge encryption is broken is also responsible for turning DSes into bricks.

http://ds.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=1628

This post has been edited by ray_: Jun 16 2006, 04:11 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.66    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:05 PM