views

GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 08:52 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 07:30 AM)
Reserved for my tank pic!
Early morning you're up reserving a place, Sis? biggrin.gif
Btw, is that OEBT in avatar yours?

Should we get a mod to merge this and the previous thread?

Here's a better tank shot with clean pipes tongue.gif

user posted image

Pics from previous thread:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by GTBlackIce: Oct 2 2013, 09:11 AM
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 02:14 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(youliang @ Oct 2 2013, 09:16 AM)
reserved for mine too!  tongue.gif
Lol...seems everyone is excited on a new thread & getting our photos up on 1st page tongue.gif hurry up with the pics! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 2 2013, 09:17 AM)
It'll be messed up if mod merges.

Edit: Added tank photo.

My tiny office tank. Increased population and added a floating plant to cope (hopefully) with nitrate removal. The end goal is to have a self sustaining tank like my collegue tongue.gif
Nice! Finally I could see a shrimp in there! laugh.gif

Best of luck in getting it self sustaining wink.gif

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 12:32 PM)
No. its not mine...cant get clear pic of my blue velvet yet....however, got few blue shrimplets around the tank with fire red and yellow...
Oh ok thought you've gone into OEBTs as well now. Future addon perhaps? biggrin.gif

Wow you've really got a healthy breeding population in your tanks! Hope mine's that way too soon smile.gif

Not worried about crossbreeding?
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 04:02 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 2 2013, 02:40 PM)
I detect a sarcastic tone there tongue.gif  laugh.gif

It's more than one in the pic but crappy camera.

One observation though, when I bought the latest batch... they look relatively decent in the LFS but looking at it in the bag and even until this morning, most of them are quite transparent. Some even look closer to rilis than cherries.

Now it seems some of the color have came back? Is this even possible?
laugh.gif a bit lo... tongue.gif

Just that your previous shot... really can't see any that's why I'm happy to see it now...hehe...

Yes, I believe that's possible when its stressed out. Saw the same happening to all the shrimps I bought (incl. crs)... heck even the otto I bought turned completely pale like ghost! shocking.gif But all turned out well after some hours or the next day onwards. Nothing to worry about wink.gif

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 02:52 PM)
The shrimplets still cant breed....but the blue and yellow in separate breeding tank though in the same tank...
going to do another tank..got leftover of soil.
Yeah, not now but once they mature then there's the possibility. But since you're planning to set up another tank (envy envy) I'm sure you'll get a large colony soon enough. Congrats again! thumbup.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 05:26 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 04:18 PM)
Have 2ft tanks with cherry and malaya.  Seems cherries never stopped breeding. Have about hundreds of shrimplets now with plenty cherry too...Cant wait to see my tank is full with red cherry.
Another 2ft tank is with Fire Red just around 20 with malaya. Plenty shrimplets also maybe around 30 or 40 of fire red and maybe few of blue and yellow. Hanging 2 breeding tank with 3 yellow with golden stripe and 3 blue velvet.
New tank most likely going to be the blue velvet....  rclxm9.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif
Very nice Sis... keep up the great work! rclxms.gif

QUOTE(varialmctwist @ Oct 2 2013, 04:28 PM)
im interested with shrimps...which species is good for beginners?
Haha... bro... going into shrimps now too huh? Come come join the club! biggrin.gif

Yeah, like what cloveryen mentioned RCS would be any beginner's choice. I took the risk and dived in directly fire reds (still a hardy one but supposedly RCS is easier).

QUOTE(arrow @ Oct 2 2013, 05:03 PM)
Under those moss are driftwood branches, those moss long gone after i re-scape into open concept, as you can see in the picture , shrimplets really
like to hide in those moss, after i clear out the tank, i discover i have 200++ fire red in there. That was 1.5 yrs ago.
shocking.gif 200++ fire reds?! Holy... that's a lot!

No wonder you have enough for sale... biggrin.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 05:54 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(varialmctwist @ Oct 2 2013, 05:31 PM)
ya lorh..i need another 1ft tank probably for shrimps...hahaha..RCS is easier eh? what happened if my tank reach 30++? all die arh? hahah...
Well.... one of us here would've misunderstand your meaning of '30++' bro... if you're referring to shrimp load you've had your replies. But if you're referring to temperature... then that might be a different thing altogether. But then again since you have plants I guess you won't let temperature go to that level?

Then again... I might've just misunderstood you... tongue.gif

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 2 2013, 05:40 PM)
Any alternatives that doesn't require an airpump?

They're too noisy (bubbly) and water splashes for the office environment.
Err... have more plants? biggrin.gif Or alternatively try to have more surface agitation?

I'm only having slight surface agitation from my outflow... but thus far no issues (I hope) on O2 in water... likely coz the plants are still doing a good photosynthesis (riccia especially).

EDIT: OK... posted reply too late as I was engaged in a call. Sifu has spoken.... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by GTBlackIce: Oct 2 2013, 05:54 PM
GTBlackIce
post Oct 3 2013, 08:58 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(youliang @ Oct 2 2013, 10:50 PM)
I'm officially launching war with the seed shrimps in my tank. really getting too many already. now manually filtering the "bugs" out  and they don't seem to be getting lesser, the next day, a lot back. lol.
laugh.gif Keep us updated on the war status bro.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of 'fun' filtering it out. Good luck! biggrin.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 3 2013, 04:35 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 3 2013, 04:26 PM)
Do you guys vacuum your gravel/substrate or just leave the shrimp poo to sink and decompose?
I don't vacuum the soil coz if I do the soil gets vacuumed too... tongue.gif

Just let nature takes it's course... since shrimp bioloads are small... the poop even smaller. Still need it to generate BB biggrin.gif

Btw, did you have any shrimp casualty today as you think you would? Hope not. wink.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 4 2013, 10:39 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 4 2013, 10:06 AM)
Do you guys leave the molts in your tank indefinitely or remove them after a while.
Same with arrow.... just leave it as it is... before I know it it's gone.

Good source of calcium for those shrimps... biggrin.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 4 2013, 11:51 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 4 2013, 10:49 AM)
If more than 48 hours and its still there.. keep or remove the residue?
You must've been feeding your shrimps too good they don't show much interest in it tongue.gif
There's no harm in letting it be bro... chill...chill... doubt any harm would come from that small shell wink.gif

Maybe you don't have many shrimps in there hence it's being consumed slowly...

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 4 2013, 11:32 AM)
What a sad day. Woke up to find 4 dead Malayan shrimps in my tank, then only realized I forgot to switch on the air pump the night before cry.gif cry.gif
shocking.gif Oh my... sorry to hear that bro.

But, just curious... you turn on air pump every night? I don't have any air pumps whatsoever... just position my outflow pipe high enough to create surface agitation. It's still under the water, not above or mid water level.

I guess with plants in it too... air pump's not required. At least for me...

Only thing is if biofilm develops on the surface I'll just 'clean' it up a bit so the outflow can create vortex again, coz at times I could see quite a lot of CO2 bubbles on the surface.
GTBlackIce
post Oct 4 2013, 01:42 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 4 2013, 12:07 PM)
I need air pumps because bio load in my tank is high as I keep 5 guppies in a 30cm tank and about 8-9 Malayan (totally no idea why everytime I notice fewer and fewer Malayan shrimps  shakehead.gif )
If 5 guppies in that tank is high bioload, then you've never seen overload tongue.gif the pico tank I had was smaller than yours & had 3.5x more than what you have now (extreme, I know) blush.gif but those guppies just can't stop breeding!!!

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 4 2013, 12:44 PM)
Scared of CO2 now!
Nothing to be scared of sis...just make sure all is setup properly...then you'd have nothing to worry about wink.gif

I'm sure most if not all of us here has got CO2 in our shrimp tank(s)...be it liquid or diffused. smile.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 4 2013, 03:06 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 4 2013, 02:05 PM)
Haiyah... I thought this time can have zero casualties when adding new shrimps but one just expired in front of my eyes. It was motionless between rocks for the whole morning then just fell sideways. Was barely alive when I picked it up.

So frustrating, I use drip method to acclimatize for almost 6 hour still like that. I even tested the difference between the water and its just like ~20 TDS different niah... other perimeters same. The bag water got even higher nitrate levels.
Haha... I witnessed similar thing just recently on the CRS. At least yours was barely alive when it was picked up... mine was a total goner... tongue.gif

Wow... you acclimate for a very long time even for RCS! notworthy.gif My max thus far was only 3hrs. But of course if I happen to get a more sensitive species I'd likely to acclimate longer. Also doing drip method @ +/-1dps

For me I think sometimes it depends on luck as well... the shrimp may not have been so strong even @ lfs or wherever we buy it. Just tough luck we got a weak one(s) sometimes. Same for my fire reds... got 10... 1 died the next day but the rest are doing well still. Only on malayans did I not encounter any casualty *touch wood*
GTBlackIce
post Oct 4 2013, 05:18 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 4 2013, 05:14 PM)
No choice.. noob like me have to do what it takes to minimize loss. Already loss waaaaay too many shrimps.

But you're right about the LFS thing. Between me and my collegues, we find that the shrimps from those chainstore high volume fish shops have a higher death rate than those ah pek shop. But the ah pek shop's quality quite terrible.  doh.gif
That makes 2 noobs here then... wink.gif

Yeah, and apart from that... different tanks have different water parameters. So what works on one may not work for all. Oh well... can't help it since we're into this hobby... we chose one that's not easy to rear... laugh.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 7 2013, 05:43 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(daveooi @ Oct 5 2013, 09:54 AM)
Newbie here, share some of my shrimp tank set up.
Hi dave...welcome to this thread.

Glad to have you here. Am only seeing your nick @ my-mac. Guess you should be the same person smile.gif

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 5 2013, 08:02 PM)
Jealous! Gorgeously seductive fire red shrimp!...GT....want to try this out? shakehead.gif  sweat.gif  doh.gif  lol
Lol of course I would love to...so let's hope my reds go into a breeding frenzy soon...then in no time I'd have such tank too biggrin.gif All I need is patience....since my tank is small. 4 berried females at the moment so let's see what the shrimplets survival rate is... wink.gif

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 6 2013, 06:54 PM)
Just set up tank no.2 smile.gif
Now for the looong wait cycling
Woot! Congrats on tank no.2!!! Yup just be patient in cycling it. Better be safe than sorry. It was more than a month before I had any shrimps in.

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 6 2013, 11:12 PM)
My new tank is everything new.. filter media is has pre-packed bacteria and i plan to dose seachem stability. You reckon a week is ok?

Substrate is shrimp specific non fertilized ones.

Also should I add activated carbon? Was in a rush, didn't have time to fully soak the driftwood more than an hour. I suspect its gonna be leeching tannins.
Seachem stability or prodibio digest. I used digest for mine. Used the normal one as I couldn't find the nano/start up version back then.

I have not used activated carbon at all since day 1. Replaced it purigen instead (like what arrow recommended). Besides, activated carbon could only last up to a month...so I didn't want to go thru the hassle. But since I'm having planted tank too activated carbon is not necessary. Purigen really helps to make the water clean & clear.

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 6 2013, 11:15 PM)

And will black soil be good match colour for fire red?

So yellow golden back should be with what colour soil? Or maybe trying sand.
Arrow pls advise..
Gratz on the new tank! Like what arrow said anything looks good on dark background apart from those dark colored shrimps. I'm using ADA soil too...and with those green plants...fire red pops out biggrin.gif good contrast

@arrow: crap I think I have some air pockets still im the soil. Mind telling how it'll post to be a timebomb? If it escapes it disturbs the soil hence ammonia is released with it?

Travelling again this whole week so have fun folks! Will drop in when I'm free smile.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 8 2013, 12:34 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 7 2013, 10:01 PM)
Came home saw the tank water is clear....i remember read sumwhere to change 100% for 1st time, so did 100% water change.  Now cycling it again. Will change 50% tomorrow till end of week.
Meanwhile, malaya is living in 3ft castle...lol
Wow 100% wc. I didn't even do that! laugh.gif

Glad things are working out smoothly for you. Hope you get to have a shorter cycle... Although your malayans might hope otherwise so they get to stay longer in the castle! tongue.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 9 2013, 12:30 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(arrow @ Oct 8 2013, 01:01 AM)
normally you only do that for the notorious ammonia bank by the name ADA amazonia. This is the best soil for planted tank cos of huge nutrients it content. But to shrimp tank, those nutrients are to no use but instead pose problem with those tons of ammonia it leech. You should get hold some sample to try.
70% to 100% initial water and subsequent large water change is to help remove/reduce those extra nutrients.
That the reason why ADA soil based tank took longer time to cycle compare with 'chap ayam' soil or sand/gravel.
Even for sole planted tank purpose, initial remove of excess nutrients will also help reduce algae outbreak as during early setup, plants haven't establish to absorb/utilize those nutrients yet.
Agreed. A lesson learnt for me back then as I didn't do that much wc...hence algae attack was crazy. Well, guess sometimes we just have to learn it the hard way sad.gif

Just thankful it turn out for the better now...that both plants and shrimps are doing ok. Although hoping no time bomb since I've got some air pockets in the soil.

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 8 2013, 12:00 PM)
Is it ok the malaya shrimp tank is without any soil? a lot of algae plants and leaves....so far they are cool in the castle... lol. Need to catch the one with eggs in belly from other tank.
I somehow like the orange ADA soil...maybe getting a bag of it for my 1ft tank.
My Malayans are diggers...they really know how to dig around searching for food. So perhaps it's good to have soil for them to dig around. A more natural environment for them I guess.

By the way...what's the orange soil you're referring to?

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 8 2013, 12:06 PM)
Still no ammonia detected

Nice tank you got there bro. What's that black bag hanging at the back of the tank?
GTBlackIce
post Oct 13 2013, 03:41 PM

2 posts

Well...am back... smile.gif

3 casualties this week...1 fire red, oto & 1 kamikaze malayan. sad.gif
Glad the others & shrimplets are still doing fine.

Tank glass is still full of GDA...so no pics could be taken tongue.gif Not sure if the dead red was a berried female or not...though I hope not. Managed to see 1 of the reds molting...finally...that was nice.

The 2 crs are still doing good too. So hope to add in more in the near future. Who knows...maybe even OEBTs next time laugh.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 14 2013, 05:18 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 13 2013, 05:31 PM)
Yes u should since u have the top range tank...
Lol where got top range tank? It's just a noob tank lah... wink.gif

QUOTE(vincent75 @ Oct 14 2013, 05:00 PM)
R.I.P. sry for your lost.

What is OEBTs?
Haha...thanks much bro. First time, heartache...after that...no feeling tongue.gif

Orange Eye Blue Tiger...nice but expensive tigers... whistling.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 20 2013, 10:25 PM

2 posts

Well folks...been some time since I posted...so a quick update. Decided to take a deep plunge today & increased my tank population. Here's what I got:

6x S grade CRS (+1 existing)
6x SS grade CRS (+1 existing)
2x SSS grade CRS
2x OEBTs (hope it's a pair, hard to see)

Just couldn't resist...hands too itchy...

Current tank population:

8x Malayans
18x S grade Fire Reds
16x mix grades CRS
2x OEBTs
6x horned nerite snails
1x otocinclus
& numerous fire red shrimplets, tonnes of bugs & thin white worms

Here's hoping there'll be no casualties from today's purchase...as there's quite a hole in wallet now... tongue.gif

Tank's recovering from GDA attack...still some left. Not sure if it's the end of its life cycle or the oto/nerites/seed shrimps were clearing it...but am very glad I can see what's in the tank again (albeit not so clear yet).

Pics will be up when I can get some good clear shots wink.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 21 2013, 03:16 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 21 2013, 02:33 PM)
Congratulations on the brave moved. But its 1st class hotel ok lah.
Haha... you and your compliments, Sis... thanks much blush.gif Hope the shrimps feel the same way as you do... laugh.gif

QUOTE(arrow @ Oct 21 2013, 02:46 PM)
normal 2ft should be around 60L water, you can use formula tank length x tank width x tank height in cm /1000 after minus out substrate and tank top blank space.
That mean if you have 5cm soil thick and 3 cm blank space on tank top, total you minus 8cm from tank height.

1g no-planaria treat 50L water for first dose , then half dose on 2nd day and 1/4 dose on third day. (treatment took 3 days).
Think i give you around 2 to 4g.
She's still quite scared to use that bro...needs more guarantee that it doesn't affect her 'babies' biggrin.gif

QUOTE(arrow @ Oct 21 2013, 02:50 PM)
all these new purchase will cost you around RM0.4k.
OEBT'S get the pregnant one if any, buy 1 free 20 if survive.
Err... thankfully it was lesser than that. OEBTs were the most expensive of the lot per head-wise.

Ahh... if only I could get a berried female but unfortunately couldn't as there were only 2 berried females in the tank and I was not to get it cry.gif Anyway, these 2 (as usual) are pioneer commandos deployed. If all goes well *may* just get another pair. Did the same for all the shrimps I have... start with a 'pioneer' batch... all is OK for a week or so... then add more.

Perhaps it's just my luck, but seems each batch of shrimp I got there would be 1 casualty (apart from the Malayan...1 kamikaze case after >1mth)... let's hope this time 'buang suay' already with those 'sacrificial shrimps'... blush.gif

Can't wait to be home tonight and see how the new 'babies' are doing... laugh.gif whistling.gif
GTBlackIce
post Oct 21 2013, 04:12 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 21 2013, 03:07 PM)
Damn stone lah...one by one they went and move it outside.

[/@arrow] No planaria works on nematodes? Kinda regret I didn't opt for the nuke option earlier. Now catching nematodes that's slowly appearing. Today already caught 4.
laugh.gif Very hardworking shrimps you got there bro....

No space for me to put a feeding dish... so usually just 'target-feed' i.e using the tweezer to drop the food where I wanted it... but still get moved around anyway... blush.gif

QUOTE(arrow @ Oct 21 2013, 03:25 PM)
Shrimps just too fragile to avoid casualty, at least you able to bring them home alive,  i once bought 10 sulawesi shrimp at RM18 each , died in bag halfway home tongue.gif
shocking.gif shocking.gif doh.gif
Oh my bro... that seriously hurts!!! 180 bucks gone just like that without the chance to enjoy viewing it in your tank? Sheesh...

You got it from Sulawesi itself or?

Well, at least I don't feel that bad about my casualties now... hehe... blush.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0380sec    0.43    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:06 PM