96 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Shrimp Thing, All About Shrimp - Neocaridina & Others

views

TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 01:05 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
53 posts

This thread is dedicated to all Shrimp lover. The most commonly sold freshwater dwarf shrimp in local fish shop are those from the Neocaridina and Caridina family/genus.
Neocaridina type consist of the most common Cherry shrimp, Fire red, Yellow, Blue Jelly, Palmata etc.
Caridina type consist of the Crystal Red/Black shrimp, Green shrimp, Malaya, Sulawesi shrimp, Tiger shrimp etc.

You can house shrimp from different genus in one tank but not shrimp from the same genus else interbreed will occur, result in inferior color especially
in the neocaridina genus.
Sometimes, but not always shrimps with the same genus name will interbreed. example Malaya are known will not interbreed with any shrimp in the hobby.
Feel Free to ask/answer questions , share knowledge and tank picture with us here.

Below is one of my previous tank that house both Neocaridina (Fire Red) and Caridina (Crystal Red Shrimp).
After re scape found 200-300++ fire red in the moss.

user posted image

This post has been edited by arrow: Oct 5 2013, 02:07 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 01:06 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Shrimp Water Paramaters Requirement:
These data just act as a basic references as some shrimps can adapt to different water parameters.
Credit goes to shrimpkeeping.com , full list here ->http://shrimpkeeping.com/water-params/

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by arrow: Oct 6 2013, 12:42 AM
TSarrow

Getting Started
53 posts

Shrimp Tank setup:

1) Basic shrimp tank setup using shirui sand as substrate:
user posted image

This post has been edited by arrow: Oct 6 2013, 12:40 AM
TSarrow

Getting Started
53 posts

A simple guide in making for your shrimp some Boiled Organic Spinach.

user posted image

This post has been edited by arrow: Oct 12 2013, 06:12 PM
TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 01:07 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Pest / Bug you may encounter In Shrimp Tank

Credit Source: www.plantedtank.net

1) Planaria, flatworms (Dangerous - should be eliminated asap)

user posted image
Size: 0,3 - 1 cm, 0.1 - 3/8 inches

Non-parasitic flatworms. Crossed-eyed grossness, just pure yucky! The only small creature I dislike (I get shivers down my spine even thinking about them). If you split it, it will regenerate and you will end up having 2 planaria. There seems to be several different colours in the common ones found in aquariums, transparent, white, brown and red. There's actually nothing really horrible about them, but they can bother small shrimp and snails and might eat fish/snail eggs.

They love shrimp pellets, pieces of meat, dead fish/shrimp and they will also eat small live creatures if they can catch them. They move on the surfaces, even under the water surface and are most active by night. If disturbed, they will retract themselves (shorter and wider), let go and drop down to the bottom.

2) Hydra (Dangerous esp to Shrimplet/fish fry- should be eliminated asap)

user posted image
Size: 0,3 - 1,5 cm, 0.1 - 1/2 inches

Hydra are beautiful, but a wee bit annoying creatures. They spend their life attached to surfaces (plants, glass, filter, decoration), they can move a bit, but usually don't have the need to do that. If disturbed, they will retract their tentacles and body to small buds. They catch small creatures (copepods, Daphnia etc.) with their tentacles which can sting, making it easier for them to haul the pray in to their mouth opening. They pose no threat to adult fish, shrimp or snails (might cause some irritation if they touch the Hydra), but newborn fish and shrimp fry are in danger.

Control - (Use at your own risk) Attach a wire to each pole of a 9 volt battery. Place the ends of the wires into the tank water, as far apart as possible. If the setup is working correctly, a fine stream of bubbles should be seen from one of the wires. The Hydra will start falling after about 20 minutes. The treatment should go no longer than 3 hours, keeping an eye on conditions the whole time. A daily 50% water change for 3 days is recommended since Copper leaches into the tank via one of the wires.

3) Dragonfly (Dangerous - should be eliminated asap)
user posted image

4) Damselfly (Dangerous - should be eliminated asap)
user posted image
They use these like spring-loaded catapults to capture their prey at lighting speeds...looks kinda like an arm with mean jaws on the end and the whole contraption is tucked in nicely waiting to pounce...pretty cool...

Dragonfly and damselfly nymphs look rather similar... the main difference is that dragonfly nymphs do not have external gills...while damselfly nymphs do...
So after you look at the mouthpart to determind that it is one of these.. check to see if you can find external gills at the end of the abdomen... if you can.. then its a damselfly nymph..if not, then its a dragonfly nymph..

This post has been edited by arrow: Oct 12 2013, 07:04 PM
TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 01:07 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Reserved***Shrimp tank substrate
pufferfish
post Oct 2 2013, 01:08 AM

Casual
430 posts

you sell moss?or shrimp breeding tube?
TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 01:08 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Reserved***Shrimp tank equipment
TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 01:14 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Reserved***Shrimp Acclimating & Food
TSarrow
post Oct 2 2013, 03:49 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Reserved******Shrimp Disease

This post has been edited by arrow: Oct 5 2013, 02:08 AM
lily64my
post Oct 2 2013, 07:30 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

Reserved for my tank pic!
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 08:52 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 07:30 AM)
Reserved for my tank pic!
Early morning you're up reserving a place, Sis? biggrin.gif
Btw, is that OEBT in avatar yours?

Should we get a mod to merge this and the previous thread?

Here's a better tank shot with clean pipes tongue.gif

user posted image

Pics from previous thread:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by GTBlackIce: Oct 2 2013, 09:11 AM
youliang
post Oct 2 2013, 09:16 AM

Aficionado
1,178 posts

tank pic coming later.

fire red first tongue.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by youliang: Oct 3 2013, 11:00 PM
sniper on the roof
post Oct 2 2013, 09:17 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

It'll be messed up if mod merges.

Edit: Added tank photo.

My tiny office tank. Increased population and added a floating plant to cope (hopefully) with nitrate removal. The end goal is to have a self sustaining tank like my collegue tongue.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by sniper on the roof: Oct 2 2013, 11:40 AM
lily64my
post Oct 2 2013, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(GTBlackIce @ Oct 2 2013, 08:52 AM)
Early morning you're up reserving a place, Sis?  biggrin.gif
Btw, is that OEBT in avatar yours?

Should we get a mod to merge this and the previous thread?

Here's a better tank shot with clean pipes  tongue.gif

user posted image

Pics from previous thread:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

No. its not mine...cant get clear pic of my blue velvet yet....however, got few blue shrimplets around the tank with fire red and yellow...
lily64my
post Oct 2 2013, 12:34 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(arrow @ Oct 2 2013, 01:05 AM)
This thread is dedicated to all Shrimp lover. The most commonly sold freshwater dwarf shrimp in local fish shop are those from the Neocaridina and Caridina family/genus.
Neocaridina type consist of the most common Cherry shrimp, Fire red, Yellow, Blue Jelly, Palmata etc.
Caridina type consist of the Crystal Red/Black shrimp, Green shrimp, Malaya, Sulawesi shrimp, Tiger shrimp etc.

You can house shrimp from different genus in one tank but not shrimp from the same genus else interbreed will occur, result in inferior color especially
in the neocaridina genus. 
Sometimes, but not always shrimps with the same genus name will interbreed. example Malaya are known will not interbreed with any shrimp in the hobby.
Feel Free to ask/answer questions , share knowledge and tank picture with us here.

Below is one of my previous tank that house both Neocaridina (Fire Red) and Caridina (Crystal Red Shrimp)
Oh wow...nice moss.....what is under the moss?
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 02:14 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(youliang @ Oct 2 2013, 09:16 AM)
reserved for mine too!  tongue.gif
Lol...seems everyone is excited on a new thread & getting our photos up on 1st page tongue.gif hurry up with the pics! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 2 2013, 09:17 AM)
It'll be messed up if mod merges.

Edit: Added tank photo.

My tiny office tank. Increased population and added a floating plant to cope (hopefully) with nitrate removal. The end goal is to have a self sustaining tank like my collegue tongue.gif
Nice! Finally I could see a shrimp in there! laugh.gif

Best of luck in getting it self sustaining wink.gif

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 12:32 PM)
No. its not mine...cant get clear pic of my blue velvet yet....however, got few blue shrimplets around the tank with fire red and yellow...
Oh ok thought you've gone into OEBTs as well now. Future addon perhaps? biggrin.gif

Wow you've really got a healthy breeding population in your tanks! Hope mine's that way too soon smile.gif

Not worried about crossbreeding?
sniper on the roof
post Oct 2 2013, 02:40 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(GTBlackIce @ Oct 2 2013, 02:14 PM)

I detect a sarcastic tone there tongue.gif laugh.gif

It's more than one in the pic but crappy camera.

One observation though, when I bought the latest batch... they look relatively decent in the LFS but looking at it in the bag and even until this morning, most of them are quite transparent. Some even look closer to rilis than cherries.

Now it seems some of the color have came back? Is this even possible?

lily64my
post Oct 2 2013, 02:52 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(GTBlackIce @ Oct 2 2013, 02:14 PM)
Lol...seems everyone is excited on a new thread & getting our photos up on 1st page tongue.gif hurry up with the pics! biggrin.gif

Oh ok thought you've gone into OEBTs as well now. Future addon perhaps? biggrin.gif

Wow you've really got a healthy breeding population in your tanks! Hope mine's that way too soon smile.gif

Not worried about crossbreeding?
The shrimplets still cant breed....but the blue and yellow in separate breeding tank though in the same tank...
going to do another tank..got leftover of soil.
GTBlackIce
post Oct 2 2013, 04:02 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Oct 2 2013, 02:40 PM)
I detect a sarcastic tone there tongue.gif  laugh.gif

It's more than one in the pic but crappy camera.

One observation though, when I bought the latest batch... they look relatively decent in the LFS but looking at it in the bag and even until this morning, most of them are quite transparent. Some even look closer to rilis than cherries.

Now it seems some of the color have came back? Is this even possible?
laugh.gif a bit lo... tongue.gif

Just that your previous shot... really can't see any that's why I'm happy to see it now...hehe...

Yes, I believe that's possible when its stressed out. Saw the same happening to all the shrimps I bought (incl. crs)... heck even the otto I bought turned completely pale like ghost! shocking.gif But all turned out well after some hours or the next day onwards. Nothing to worry about wink.gif

QUOTE(lily64my @ Oct 2 2013, 02:52 PM)
The shrimplets still cant breed....but the blue and yellow in separate breeding tank though in the same tank...
going to do another tank..got leftover of soil.
Yeah, not now but once they mature then there's the possibility. But since you're planning to set up another tank (envy envy) I'm sure you'll get a large colony soon enough. Congrats again! thumbup.gif

96 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0282sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:50 AM