Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> SERIOUS NOISE POLLUTION IN BRICKFIELDS, Noise Pollution from Yarl Restaurant

views

TShafizulshahril
post Sep 8 2013, 08:29 AM, updated 8y ago

29 posts

Today is Sunday and I am supposed to sleep late but I can't. At 6.20 am I was awakened by the loud noise emanating from the kitchen hood of a nearby restaurant. Just can't afford to sleep anymore. Today (8 September 2013), I lost my self-control and instead of enjoying my beauty sleep, here I am sitting down in front of my computer and writing this article even though I am still very sleepy.

Well, before I proceed any further, I would like to ask my readers these questions? Would any one of you like to be told that you must wake up at a certain hour in the morning (at 5.00 - 6.00 a.m.) irrespective of what time you may sleep the night before every day even on Sundays? Would you mind if you were not allowed to stay in your bedroom from morning until night? You can only go into your bedroom to sleep at night. For months, nine months, this is what I have been suffering. Since January this year, Yarl restaurant (the kitchen hood of this restaurant is shown in the picture below) has been emanating continuous loud noise from morning till around midnight. Once (31st March 2013) it even started operation at about 5.20 am making it impossible for the flat dwellers of Tong Fatt Building, Jalan Sultan Abdul Samad to sleep as the kitchen hood is just opposite their bedroom windows (to be precise No 123-135, Jalan Sultan Abdul Samad - the flats with bedroom windows facing the back of the building). And when did Yarl Restaurant close the night before (30th March 2013)? At 12 midnight. Would you mind if you were allowed to sleep for only 5 hours and 20 minutes and on a Sunday too? I do not know what the rights of an ordinary citizen in Malaysia are but the Lynas case makes me feel that if you were unlucky enough to have some new business operating in your area causing you a lot of inconvenience, the only thing you can do is to buy a new house and move away. If you can't afford a new house, just admit that it's your fate.

I am writing this article on behalf of the Tong Fatt Buidling flat dwellers (Jalan Sultan Abdul Samad) who have been suffering from endless noise since this restaurant started operation in January this year. Prior to that, we enjoyed a peaceful life but this peace is no more. The whole area is polluted with noise and of course there is always curry in the air. This means that if you put out your clothes to dry in the balcony, your clothes would have curry smell on them. And if you were these clothes, you would smell of curry too. How would you like that? The whole building seems to be vibrating with noise and school children can no longer study in their own rooms. They have to stay in the living room with their parents who are watching TV to do their revision in front of the TV. When I was a kid, I used to sit on the balcony to study but this is no longer possible now. If you sit on the balcony to study, it is likely that you will end up deaf. We can't even go into our rooms until around midnight after the restaurant closes. In the mornings, there is a natural alarm clock that makes you jump out of bed when the restaurant turns the kitchen hood on. Just have to pray to God that we won't fall sick because we can't rest in our rooms until around midnight. We can only sleep on the sofa in the living room if we were sick. I just can't imagine what would happen to my mom if she were still alive now. She died of cancer - just imagine how a cancer patient could cope if she can't even sleep in her bedroom without being disturb continuously by the noise from the kitchen hood? One of my neighbors even lost her tenants because they can't bear the noise. Can't blame them. The noise is unbearable. No doubt, the value of the flats would also drop because no one would buy a flat that is polluted with noise. If we have no choice but to stay in the room then we must turn on the CD player loudly to cover the deafening motor noise from the restaurant. As I am typing this article, I have to turn on my CD player. At least the songs can cover up part of the kitchen hood noise.

I have reported the case to the police (sometime in May) but they are not doing anything about it. I lodged a police report again this morning at 6.20 a.m. at the Brickfields police station which I was told is located in Jalan Klang Lama but so far there isn't any news from them. I hope to get some advice from my readers. Who can I report this incident to and what action can be taken against the selfish and irresponsible restaurant owner? This noise is affecting our health terribly. I understand now what it means to have a house but you cannot live in it because your health is threatened. I am beginning to admire the animals in the zoo because they are living in a much more peaceful environment than the flat dwellers of Tong Fatt Building, Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur.

In the photo below you can see the back of Yarl Restaurant and its kitchen hood - where the noise comes from. For more information about yarl restaurant, please click here. If the selfish and irresponsible owner of this restaurant wants to do his business, he can do so as long as he does not interfere with the health and well-being of others. Why sacrifice others for his business? Restaurant Lee Tong Kee next to it has been operating for years without any noise. Restaurant Vogue opens at 10.00 a.m. and closes at 10.00 p.m. It's kitchen hood is facing the kitchen of the flat and therefore doesn't affect anyone. Why is Yarl restaurant a nuisance in the neighbourhood? The major reason is because its operating hours are too long and therefore its victims have no chance of escape. Why should Yarl Restaurant put its kitchen hood right in front of people's bedroom windows and starts making loud, deafening, and continuous noise so early in the morning and late into the night? Please read Part 2 of this article at http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2962198 and part 3 at https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2975198

You can also visit our Facebook at "Pencemaran Bunyi di Brickfields" and our blog at http://zorro2013questforjustice.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning (5 October 2013), Yarl restaurant started operation at 6.10 a.m. As usual, I had to jump out of my bed and look for a place where I could sleep without being disturbed by noise in my bedroom but of course there was none. I worked late last night and although I tried to sleep as early as possible knowing that I couldn't sleep when Yarl restaurant turns on the kitchen hood, I could only sleep at 12 midnight. I had no choice but to press two pillows on my earlobes for two hours and tried to sleep because I have a lot of things to settle today and I don't want to feel sleepy the whole day. . I am having painful earlobes now. I also feel guilty for not being able to provide a proper place for my wife and children to sleep (on a Saturday, my children do not go to school and my wife does not work. At 6.10 a.m., when Yarl restaurant turned on the kitchen hood, theyrushed to the living room and slept on the floor). Despite having reported repeatedly to DBKL and still no action is taken, I have lost all my patience and have made up my mind to start a blog and write about human rights in Malaysia. Why human rights? Because my family and I are suffering like dogs being deprived of the most basic human rights.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning (Saturday, 12 October 2013), I was awaken once again at 5.55 a.m. by Yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood noise. Not only do I have painful earlobes but a stiff neck as well because I had to press two pillows hard on one year whilst the other ear was pressed onto the mattress making it impossible for me to move my head when I sleep. But even though I tried to cover my ears with the pillows and mattress, the loud and deafening noise of the kitchen hood could still be heard clearly. I used to ask my wife not to use the blender at such an early hour in the morning because the loud noise from the blender would disturb the neighbours. Yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise is much, much, much, much more louder than the blender and at 5.55 a.m. in the morning, when there is pindrop silence everywhere in the neighbourhood, yarl retaurant's kitchen hood noise is indeed a great nuisance to everyone. This is because the kitchen hood noise is waking everyone up irrespective of who they are failing to take into consideration the fact that many people do not work during the weekends and prefer to wake up later than usual. There are also people who work in shifts and do not have to get up that early in the morning. Since this is what is happening to the yarl restaurant victims everyday, it not only shows how selfish and irresponsible yarl restaurant's owner is but is also a gross violation of human rights - depriving the Malaysian citizens the right to sleep. It's time we put a stop to this kind of nuisance so that there will be peace once more in the neighbourhood.

This post has been edited by hafizulshahril: Jun 29 2014, 02:59 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Seager
post Sep 8 2013, 02:48 PM

JKR is mah bitch
1,435 posts

Have you made a complaint to the town council? What about gather a petition and submit it to them?
SUSautoman5891
post Sep 8 2013, 03:03 PM

16 posts

Report to dbkl. You report to police for what? If like that better just report to hospital and Bomba. lol.

This post has been edited by automan5891: Sep 8 2013, 03:05 PM
jonny4
post Sep 8 2013, 03:07 PM

Regular
1,974 posts

yes report to DBKL. if still no action taken den it probably means duit kopi involved d. den u find some political party n ask them to help. once it gets into the news den magically action will be taken.

have u tried talking to the restaurant owner ? try gathering the residents n going together to complain to the restaurant owner.
deejay_krish
post Sep 8 2013, 06:56 PM

You're Just Another Part Of Me
883 posts

So restaurants kitchen suppose to be silent with no noise? Is that restaurants name called " The silent kitchen " ?
Fabio1
post Sep 8 2013, 08:39 PM

Regular
1,447 posts

Hmm ear plugs kind of like it, also a brain plug
SUSvuetnam
post Sep 8 2013, 11:12 PM

Regular
1,259 posts

QUOTE(deejay_krish @ Sep 8 2013, 06:56 PM)
So restaurants kitchen suppose to be silent with no noise?  Is that restaurants name called " The silent kitchen " ?
but there is system where we can minimize the noise by installing something inside the kitchen hood...smile.gif
SUSautoman5891
post Sep 8 2013, 11:34 PM

16 posts

How to Soundproof an Apartment.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/new...6/soundproofing
TShafizulshahril
post Sep 11 2013, 11:01 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(vuetnam @ Sep 8 2013, 11:12 PM)
but there is system where we can minimize the noise by installing something inside the kitchen hood...smile.gif

But installing something inside the kitchen hood would mean that the restaurant owner would have to pay more. I don't think he will. I lodged another police report at the Brickfields police station (Jalan Klang Lama) this morning at 6.30 a.m. The police came and warned the restaurant owner. Now is already 11.00 p.m. but the noise from the kitchen hood is as loud as ever. The restaurant owner only thinks of himself and his business.
GoldenHawk
post Sep 12 2013, 02:45 PM

The Forgotten
1,016 posts

First of all, have you talked to the restaurant owner?
arubin
post Sep 12 2013, 04:30 PM

Holy Pastafarian
642 posts

Yup, have you tried to talk to the restaurant owner? Do it as a group. You can't go alone. You need the backup of the other residents else it'll just look like you're the only one with a problem.

See if you can resolve this civilly. Point out that you are all neighbors after all. If he wants to be uncivil, remind him that you can also be uncivil neighbors. You can make it VERY hard for him to operate a business there.

For starters, you can collectively be annoying customers. Cannot study in your room? Study in his place. Buy the cheapest item available and camp there. Take up a table. Refuse to let anyone share, or be annoying to them if you are forced to (sneeze like mad without covering your mouth).

I can think of other cheeky things to do. After all, you have nothing to lose anymore but he has a business to run.

Of course, you should resort to official or other less questionable methods first. Police report, politicians, local council, etc. This 'you mess with me, I mess back with you' idea is only if you are getting desperate.
melon_miel
post Sep 12 2013, 11:18 PM

12 posts

I have a very vague idea of the place. Visited it only once some years back. As far as I can remember, this place is stinking with rubbish with lots of flies swarming around. Even my little nephew covered his nose when we arrived there. In fact, it was my little nephew's awkward behavior that reminded me of this place. Couldn't help laughing. He even covered his nose after entering the flat!

From your description of the restaurant's deafening noise program, it seems to me that Tong Fatt Building is not even fit for the dogs. I couldn't help imagining what would happen to couples who are making love early in the morning only to jump out of their bed the moment the restaurant owner turns on his noisy kitchen hood. Oh my God! It's like being tortured in hell. Even if you offer me RM1000 to stay there for 3 days, I would rather not have the money. I would advise the flat owners to sell off their flats before this article travels too far. Once this noise pollution case is made known to the world, no one would buy or rent the flats.
TShafizulshahril
post Sep 13 2013, 08:28 AM

29 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Sep 8 2013, 03:07 PM)
yes report to DBKL. if still no action taken den it probably means duit kopi involved d. den u find some political party n ask them to help. once it gets into the news den magically action will be taken.

have u tried talking to the restaurant owner ? try gathering the residents n going together to complain to the restaurant owner.
You may be right. Many of our government officers are very corrupt. Just give them duit kopi and they will do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the DBKL officers have taken bribes from the restaurant owner. My neighbours are very fussy about noise. Just switch on the radio slightly louder for a little while and they will curse you and shout at you. The kitchen hood noise is much, much louder and has been going on continuously for nine months but how come my neighbours dare not shout or yell at the restaurant owner? Do you think they will keep quiet about this issue? However, the restaurant owner only gets bolder and this morning (13 September 2013) turned on the kitchen hood at 6.00 a.m. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns it on at 4.00 a.m in the very near future!

This post has been edited by hafizulshahril: Sep 13 2013, 08:48 AM
jonny4
post Sep 13 2013, 09:22 AM

Regular
1,974 posts

QUOTE(hafizulshahril @ Sep 13 2013, 08:28 AM)
You may be right. Many of our government officers are very corrupt. Just give them duit kopi and they will do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the DBKL officers have taken bribes from the restaurant owner. My neighbours are very fussy about noise. Just switch on the radio slightly louder for a little while and they will curse you and shout at you. The kitchen hood noise is much, much louder and has been going on continuously for nine months but how come my neighbours dare not shout or yell at the restaurant owner? Do you think they will keep quiet about this issue? However, the restaurant owner only gets bolder and this morning (13 September 2013) turned on the kitchen hood at 6.00 a.m. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns it on at 4.00 a.m in the very near future!
at least in your situation the police came.

in my neighbourhood we have a neighbour that owns a moving company with 3 lorries. the lorries r parked in the side lane next to our houses. one day one of the lorries hit my neighbour's house. my neighbour was furious and made reports to MBPJ n PDRM. nothing happened. i dun think anyone fr MBPJ or DBKL came to even have a look. together with the noise n exhaust fumes this neighbour eventually moved away.

my dad really hates it when the lorries r parked next to my house. a few months ago for some reason the lorries were parked next to my house for a few days. my dad went over to their house n complained. my dad didn't scold or threaten them...he just said if u were in my shoes how would u feel. From that day on they never parked their lorries next to my house.

TShafizulshahril
post Sep 22 2013, 11:06 AM

29 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Sep 13 2013, 09:22 AM)
at least in your situation the police came.

in my neighbourhood we have a neighbour that owns a moving company with 3 lorries. the lorries r parked in the side lane next to our houses. one day one of the lorries hit my neighbour's house. my neighbour was furious and made reports to MBPJ n PDRM. nothing happened. i dun think anyone fr MBPJ or DBKL came to even have a look. together with the noise n exhaust fumes this neighbour eventually moved away.

my dad really hates it when the lorries r parked next to my house. a few months ago for some reason the lorries were parked next to my house for a few days. my dad went over to their house n complained. my dad didn't scold or threaten them...he just said if u were in my shoes how would u feel. From that day on they never parked their lorries next to my house.
The problem is even DBKL and Fong Kui Lun couldn't do anything about it. I've reported the case to them. Don't know if they are really taking any actions or are doing nothing. The noise just gets louder. Last night (21 September 2013) the restaurant closed at 11.00 p.m. and this morning (22 September 2013) it was already opened at 6.30 a.m. and woke everyone up with its loud kitchen hood noise as usual. Can't even sleep late on a Sunday. It seems that Yarl restaurant only allows the poor and exhausted flat dwellers 7 hours and 30 minutes sleep this weekend. It is impossible to have 8 hours sleep even during the weekend.

This post has been edited by hafizulshahril: Sep 22 2013, 11:07 AM
TShafizulshahril
post Sep 28 2013, 06:56 AM

29 posts

QUOTE(Seager @ Sep 8 2013, 02:48 PM)
Have you made a complaint to the town council? What about gather a petition and submit it to them?
This morning (28 September 2013), after being woken up by Yarl Restaurant's loud kitchen hood noise at 6.15 a.m., I made a second report to DBKL. I just can't sleep anymore even though I tried to cover my ears with two pillows because the noise is too loud. Why is Yarl restaurant a nuisance to everyone in the neighbourhood? The major reason is because its operating hours are too long and therefore its victims have no chance of escape. For instance, last night, it stopped making noise at 11.00 p.m. and this morning its loud kitchen hood noise can be heard at 6.15 a.m. (Sometimes it may even start making noise as early as 6.00 a.m. and even at 5.15 a.m.) This means that all those victims of Yarl restaurant are only allowed 7 hours and 15 minutes sleep today - far from the 8 hours recommended by many health authorities.

This post has been edited by hafizulshahril: Sep 28 2013, 07:16 AM
Seager
post Sep 28 2013, 03:12 PM

JKR is mah bitch
1,435 posts

QUOTE(hafizulshahril @ Sep 28 2013, 06:56 AM)
This morning (28 September 2013), after being woken up by Yarl Restaurant's loud kitchen hood noise at 6.15 a.m., I made a second report to DBKL. I just can't sleep anymore even though I tried to cover my ears with two pillows because the noise is too loud. Why is Yarl restaurant a nuisance to everyone in the neighbourhood? The major reason is because its operating hours are too long and therefore its victims have no chance of escape. For instance, last night, it stopped making noise at 11.00 p.m. and this morning its loud kitchen hood noise can be heard at 6.15 a.m. (Sometimes it may even start making noise as early as 6.00 a.m. and even at 5.15 a.m.) This means that all those victims of Yarl restaurant are only allowed 7 hours and 15 minutes sleep today - far from the 8 hours recommended by many health authorities.
Repory to the press. Show them proof of your report as well.
cedyy
post Sep 28 2013, 03:30 PM

Regular
1,272 posts

QUOTE(vuetnam @ Sep 8 2013, 11:12 PM)
this plus dbkl could require the restaurant to install odour remover
fattfatt1818
post Sep 28 2013, 10:31 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

go to MCA ..do a press conference..half of yarl restaurant customers are PDRM fellas.they won do sh*t cause they always lepak there...
saiya
post Sep 28 2013, 10:37 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

Bangun pagi sembahyang subuh dulu. Itu pun liat ke?

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0358sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th October 2021 - 03:17 AM