Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
65 Pages « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

SteelSeries Thread V9, RIVAL 100 DotA 2 Edition coming!

views

TSH3LLKEEPER
post May 26 2014, 06:46 PM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

SteelSeries RIVAL Review

Introduction
SteelSeries is well known for its sensei or xai line up past few years ago which is perfect for both lefties and righties. By then SteelSeries had kept the same design for their mice bacause why change when its not broken right? But earlier this year steelseries released a budget ergonomic gaming mice for the righties (sorry lefties), which is called the RIVAL that we will cover in this review

Unboxing
user posted image
SteelSeries still using the same old design for the box. There is a front cover which you can open up to let you get a grip of the mouse to see if it's fit for you which is a plus if that particular store doesnt have a demo unit for you to try it out. Inside the box you will be greeted with the quick start guide and a steelseries sticker which hasn't change since they released their product few years ago.

Design
Jumping into the design section, the steelseries rival is a whole new design for steelseries. Neither does it look like its a sensei or even the older ikari. However it does resembles a bit like razer's deathadder. The mouse is huge, i highly recommend palm grip users to give this a try because there isn't any other mouse that fits this nicely in your hand. The whole mouse is covered with rubber while the side has a dotted rubber grip which gives the user extra secure grip, this mouse will be able to be flung left and right without worrying it flying off your hand. However compared to the other predecessor, the cpi toggle doesnt light up when switching cpi, this could be annoying for those who loves to keep track on what cpi they are currently in. There are 4 mousefeet under the mouse which i believed it was teflon ( do correct me if i were wrong) which ensures smooth gliding across your mousepad. Both LED lights up the same colour but its changeable via the software to any colour you want. With all that good stuff aside, there is the not so great rubberized cable cry.gif

Hardware
Lets go to the hardware section of this mouse. This mouse is equipped with a Pixart PAW3310 Sensor which boast a maximum DPI of 6500 and minimum of 50. This sensor is quite new to the market and could be found in the Mionix Naos 7000 or the Kone Pure Optical Military. Acceleration is minimal to none. However when it comes to mouse correction you be the judge, Here is the two paint drawed lines with the steelseries sensei raw and the steelseries rival.
user posted image
SteelSeries RIVAL (above) SteelSeries Sensei RAW (Below)
user posted image
Looking at the lines which i've tried to draw a perfect straight line which i fail most of the time which is good since mouse correction isnt really there. If i turn on the angle snapping, the line would look like this (below)
user posted image
So for those who are afraid of angle snapping, fear not as this mouse is able to turn it on and off according to your liking

SteelSeries also employed new switches in these mouse. Click still feels tactile as ever but this time without that sharp clicking sound. It almost sounds like a blue switch mechanical keyboard(sensei raw) compared to a black switch (rival) here. (NO THIS MOUSE IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH MECHANICAL SWITCHES IM JUST LISTING OUT AN EXAMPLE ON THE DIFFERENCE ON HOW BOTH THIS TWO MOUSE CLICK SOUNDS). Scroll wheel also made to be much more silent and solid when compared with the sensei raw

Software
user posted image
In the tweaking section here, you will find the basic mouse button adjustment,macro,dpi, angle snapping and mouse acceleration.
In the button mappings section you can basically assign a macro or even a button for each keys and yes the cpi toggle is programmable now. But there isnt an option to toggle between profiles here so do keep that in mind.
user posted image
Macro editing is easy, you can either record your actions with the keyboard or decrease that delay time to as fast as 15ms or even no delay.
user posted image
In the DPI settings you can toggle from the lowest 50DPI with step by step incremental value of 50DPI up until 6500DPI.

Polling rate can be adjust from 125Hz>250Hz>500Hz>1000Hz.
Angle snapping has several levels and can be adjusted to fit the user
You can also adjust the acceleration and deceleration of the mouse here
user posted image
When it comes to the lighting settings. There are a few options on how the light would react. The other 2 setting is pretty straight forward. The one what i wanted to talk about is colorshift. There are 5 options in the colourshift inner tab. And from there it will cycle the colours shown. Neat way to show off the rivals's capabilities in the lighting section

Real World Usage
All it matters most is how it stands in the real world despite having all those features.
Lighting is a great feature in the steelseries rival and it definitely stands out in the budget mouse market. The design was just too big for me and my grip style wasnt really suitable. I was a fingertip grip user and i find it hard for me to manuever around with such big mouse but for those large hands with palm grip style, this is possibly the best you can get due to its unique curves. Despite its similarity looking with the deathadder, it feels a lot different when you palm it. The rival definitely feels longer and much more grippier as well. For my usage, for not having a cpi toggle light doesnt really bother me that much since i play dota 2 with 1800dpi and CSGO with 800dpi, so its a significant change in DPI and i wont be mistaken on which dpi im at. Sure having a rubber cable sucks but keeping it away from your pet and sharp objects will definitely do the trick. To those who are bothered that it doesnt have a laser sensor, well dont worry much since optical sensor had came a long way and it doesnt feel any significant difference when using either optical or laser. For me i would just rule that out

Conclusion
What matters the most to everyone of us is, is it worth it? Well, for a retail price of RM229(Original Rival) or RM239(for the iG Rival) you cant really go wrong with it unless you have a moderate size hands like me. I strictly recommend this mouse for those who palm grip with their mouse. With this price range you may consider the deathadder and also the roccat kone optical. This is solely depends on personal preference and i recommend you trying it out before getting one. Otherwise SteelSeries RIVAL really packs a punch and for RM229, try finding another mouse that offers this much features under this price. Special shoutout to the wonderful guys at SteelSeries Malaysia for giving me an opportunity for reviewing this mouse. If you dont know about that be sure to check them out.
As always im up for any questions, so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask me about it.
Heres a picture of the iG mousepad to whoever is interested in
user posted image
dannrawr
post May 28 2014, 08:08 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(H3LLKEEPER @ May 12 2014, 07:29 PM)
the steelseries siberia v2 counterfeit is common now but not as common as the beats
microsoft 3.0 steelseries ended production waaaaaay long time ago, but for people who still like the design can mod it
its not original but it serves the same
unlike the v2 counterfeit  doh.gif
v2 got fake? shocking.gif
anyone have problems with their ss siberia v2 mic?
TSH3LLKEEPER
post May 28 2014, 09:39 AM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

QUOTE(dannrawr @ May 28 2014, 07:08 AM)
v2 got fake? shocking.gif 
anyone have problems with their ss siberia v2 mic?
Yes there are
Check 1st page for more info
What problem? Non for me so far
dannrawr
post May 28 2014, 05:06 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(H3LLKEEPER @ May 28 2014, 09:39 AM)
Yes there are
Check 1st page for more info
What problem? Non for me so far
Noverockway << i almost buy from this seller doh.gif
while playing dota my friend cant hear what im saying, maybe because i reduce the volume on the v2 volume control.
TSH3LLKEEPER
post May 28 2014, 05:13 PM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

QUOTE(dannrawr @ May 28 2014, 04:06 PM)
Noverockway << i almost buy from this seller doh.gif
while playing dota my friend cant hear what im saying, maybe because i reduce the volume on the v2 volume control.
too soft or no sound at all?
if no sound at all means you probably put it on mute or ur mic boost too high
dannrawr
post May 28 2014, 05:24 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(H3LLKEEPER @ May 28 2014, 05:13 PM)
too soft or no sound at all?
if no sound at all means you probably put it on mute or ur mic boost too high
they say tak dengar. later i play 1 game see how it goes. ill check the mic boost

edit: i think its because i reduce the volume. i do the listen test can hear my self. sorry. doh.gif

This post has been edited by dannrawr: May 28 2014, 05:27 PM
eugene88
post Jun 6 2014, 10:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,176 posts

If my Sensei RAW keep hang and disconnect randomly for a few seconds, does it mean that its spoiled?
ReverseDark
post Jun 7 2014, 01:22 AM

UltimaSword!
709 posts

QUOTE(eugene88 @ Jun 6 2014, 10:46 PM)
If my Sensei RAW keep hang and disconnect randomly for a few seconds, does it mean that its spoiled?
I got this kind of issue too, wonder issit firmware problem?
TSH3LLKEEPER
post Jun 7 2014, 01:30 AM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

QUOTE(eugene88 @ Jun 6 2014, 09:46 PM)
the horrible tweaking software doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif
i havent installed it back ever since
even razer fixed their synapse
makes me wonder if steelseries ever gonna update their old engine for old products
am3rr
post Jun 7 2014, 01:47 AM

Kan? Kan?
2,131 posts

my rival mouse middle button keep double clicks.

anyone having same issues? its quite new.
TSH3LLKEEPER
post Jun 7 2014, 03:41 AM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

QUOTE(am3rr @ Jun 7 2014, 12:47 AM)
my rival mouse middle button keep double clicks.

anyone having same issues? its quite new.
if it annoys you then send it for warranty
manufacturing defect
deyamato
post Jun 7 2014, 02:01 PM

Casual
418 posts

Got sensei raw(regret to get rubberized again) to replace my xai the one bought from hellkeeper few years back pc fair tongue.gif still working but gross scratch too much sad.gif .
eugene88
post Jun 7 2014, 02:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,176 posts

QUOTE(H3LLKEEPER @ Jun 7 2014, 01:30 AM)
the horrible tweaking software  doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif
i havent installed it back ever since
even razer fixed their synapse
makes me wonder if steelseries ever gonna update their old engine for old products
My cord is also broken, the wire came out from the braided cable already doh.gif
TSH3LLKEEPER
post Jun 7 2014, 06:33 PM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

QUOTE(deyamato @ Jun 7 2014, 01:01 PM)
Got sensei raw(regret to get rubberized again) to replace my xai the one bought from hellkeeper few years back pc fair tongue.gif still working but gross scratch too much sad.gif .
You still remember laugh.gif
I forget already
Ya thats the bad part of rubberize

QUOTE(eugene88 @ Jun 7 2014, 01:03 PM)
My cord is also broken, the wire came out from the braided cable already  doh.gif
Braided cord depends on usage
My friend and i have the same deathadder, his cable looks damaged as hell but mine still as good as new

SUSY.J.S
post Jun 7 2014, 10:52 PM

MLM
1,353 posts

kenysl I like your Siberia Elite review, planning to get one soon, any jalan?
ntw
post Jun 8 2014, 08:54 PM

One Each At A Time
1,382 posts

QUOTE(Y.J.S @ Jun 7 2014, 10:52 PM)
thats too cheap for u man, doesnt fit ur wealth. doh.gif
SUSY.J.S
post Jun 8 2014, 09:04 PM

MLM
1,353 posts

QUOTE(ntw @ Jun 8 2014, 08:54 PM)
thats too cheap for u man, doesnt fit ur wealth. doh.gif
no man, i use my pocket money to purchase all computer goods one because parents don't support vmad.gif
kenysl
post Jun 19 2014, 03:52 AM

Foodie
678 posts

QUOTE(Y.J.S @ Jun 7 2014, 10:52 PM)
If you ask me few months ago got jalan la
now too late liao laugh.gif
300thecat
post Jun 29 2014, 01:45 PM

Enthusiast
790 posts

Is it possible to use my Kinzu as a bluetooth mouse? Maybe with an adapter or something?
TSH3LLKEEPER
post Jun 29 2014, 06:38 PM

Winning Is Everything!
4,531 posts

QUOTE(300thecat @ Jun 29 2014, 12:45 PM)
Is it possible to use my Kinzu as a bluetooth mouse? Maybe with an adapter or something?
i dont think thats possible

SteelSeries RIVAL DotA 2
Estimated to arrive in August
Pre-order from a retailer near you

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by H3LLKEEPER: Jul 10 2014, 04:58 PM

65 Pages « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0287sec    0.48    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:21 PM