post Nov 12 2012, 04:28 PM, updated 5y ago

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

INFO UPDATED BY MODERATORS:

Continue from V1: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/699515

This Q& A taken from the contribution by Chosei:
Frequently asked questions :

Which is a better location - Marina or Orchard ?

Both have their own merits, choose Orchard if you are in town purely for shopping. Marina and the surrounding areas (Suntec and Raffles City) will be a good base if you prefer to explore the city a bit more.

Where should I make the reservation - direct with the hotel or a third party ?

If there is a great deal on, an air and hotel package (eg. Singapore Airlines stop over package), those are the best ones to go with for. - If you have an amazing price on the airline tickets, book the hotel yourself through any sites eg. asiabesthotel.com, marimari.com, asiaroom.com, expedia.com etc. Whichever has the best prices.

Dont forget to compare prices with the hotel's direct site as they do have certain price (eg. prepaid) and promotional rates that are not available anywhere else.

What should I bring ?

SIN is one degree off the equator so anything to keep cool; cotton and quick drying fabrics are best. It does rain a lot so bring along shoes that are comfortable and you don't mind getting them wet.

What is the weather like?

Hot and humid, average temp. is 27 degree celsius throught the year with one degree cooler or warmer towards or away from the monsoon season (northeast season begins Dec to Mar, southwest from Jun to Sep, Apr and May being dry and the hottest month in SIN)

What to do ?

Shopping is big in SIN - dining is the biggest hobby in town

What not to be missed ?

Attractions :

* 1) Zoo
* 2) Jurong Bird Park
* 3) Haw Par Villa
* 4) Sentosa
* 5) Raffles
* 6) Chinatown
* 7) Little India
* 8) Geylang Serai
* 9) River areas of Boat Quay, Clark Quay and the Esplanade
* 10) Bugis
* 11) Singapore Museum
* 12) Botanic Gardens

Fun activity :

* 1) Cable Car ride
* 2) River boat ride
* 3) Wild Wild Wet
* 4) Hippo Tours
* 5) Duck Tours
* 6) Snow City
* 7) MRT ride into a local town
* 8) Trolley Tours
* 9) Trishaw Tours
* 10) walking tours
* 11) Singapore Flyer

What is the best souvenir to buy and where ?

* Chinatown has a mixture of touristy souvenirs of keychains, mugs, T-shirts as well as nice Chinese handicrafts like beaded evening bags and shoes, fans, antique chinese home decorative items, silk scarves, etc
* Little India for authentic Indian spices, jewelry and fabric
* Singapore museum shop has quite a few unique gifts and souvenirs
* RISIS Orchid & Peranakan Collections are available at Suntec Mall
* Singapre Sling and unique items at Raffles Hotel
* Local snacks that make great gifts for food lovers are available at the airport (SPFG cafe boutiques) or any DFS shops

How much is the cab fare from the airport to a hotel in Orchard Road or Marina area ?

to Orchard Road the cost will be around S$20 while to Marian area will be S$15-17, bear in mind there may be applicable surcharges (check this link for details : http://www.visitsingapore.com)

How much is the cab fare from a hotel in town to the zoo ?

fare from most hotels in town (orchard area) will cost about S$15 to Mandai area (zoo, night safari and orchid garden are located)

How is the MRT ?

Good and efficient, clean and safe. Definitely a great way to explore SIN

What about the SIA hop on/off bus or City Buzz ?

an easy way to get to know SIN if you don't have the leisure of time to explore the city, easy to use and cheap

Is the food safe at Hawker centres or food courts ?

SIN has a high standard of hygiene, all food establishments are required to display their health certificate issued by the health authority, grading from A (being the best) to D.
from:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294265-s409/Singapore:Singapore:First.Time.Visitors.html

DRIVING TO SINGAPORE

If you drive a Malaysian-registered vehicle, you have to acquire an Autopass Card (a vehicle entry permit) at either Woodlands or Tuas Checkpoint arrival zones before entering Singapore. It is an offence to drive into Singapore without an Autopass Card (a vehicle entry permit) for your vehicle.

Visitors driving into Singapore in foreign-registered vehicles must use the Autopass Card to make payment for their VEP fees and/or toll charges and/or ERP charges at either Tuas or Woodlands Checkpoint.

VEP fees are calculated on a daily basis. However, there is no VEP fee charged for Saturdays, Sundays and all Singapore Public Holidays.

Ten VEP-free days
From 1 June 2005, all drivers of foreign registered cars and motorcycles can drive into Singapore for a maximum of 10 days in each calendar year without having to pay VEP fees.

After the 10 VEP free days have been utilized, VEP fees for subsequent days are chargeable if you continue to use or drive your foreign-registered car or motorcycle during VEP operating hours.

Please note that toll charges still apply. Toll charges are calculated on a per trip basis. You have to pay toll charges on arrival and departure at Tuas Checkpoint but only on departure at Woodlands Checkpoint.

ERP rate is at S$5/day but free on Sat, Sun & Public Holidays.

More info: http://www.lta.gov.sg/motoring_matters/ind...oring_guide.htm  - Tnx to Ami Tsun for this link
AUTOPASS & VEP info:

The location of VEP office is right after the im migration. The parking in between Immigration & custom is very limited and pls keep to the right or use the right immigration counters if possible as you really need to park there to buy your Autopass. The autopass is just like our Touch&Go card and can be topped up at any 7-11. It can be used for numerous malls' Parking, paying VEP, ERP & causeway toll.

user posted image
user posted image

BUDGET HOTELS:

http://www.asiarooms.com/singapore/singapo...chType=location

http://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/default/D...archResult.aspx

http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/Ch...untry.Singapore

MRT ROUTE/MAP
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by stimix: Nov 12 2012, 04:54 PM
yiyibrowers
post Nov 12 2012, 04:50 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

Version 2 already rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
GravityFi3ld
post Nov 14 2012, 05:43 PM

Nick Fury's Night Fury
820 posts

Thank you Stimix happy.gif
deodorant
post Nov 14 2012, 05:46 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

anyone stay in ibis singapore on bencoolen before?

http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-6657-ibis-sin...len/index.shtml

$158/month only, seems quite gooding for the money ... hmm.gif reviews on tripadvisor also good.
GravityFi3ld
post Nov 14 2012, 05:50 PM

Nick Fury's Night Fury
820 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Nov 14 2012, 05:46 PM)

$158/month only, seems quite gooding for the money ... hmm.gif reviews on tripadvisor also good.
sorry to question, but seriously $158/MONTH?! shocking.gif
I stayed at 5footwayinn..around $100/night laugh.gif
Hico
post Nov 15 2012, 09:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,709 posts

i got one enquiry, if i am staying in jb for 2 nights, then only fly back from sg to kl on the 3rd day. if i purchase anything in sg on the first day, can i still claim back the gst on the 3rd day when i use flight?

This post has been edited by Hico: Nov 15 2012, 09:11 PM
yiyibrowers
post Nov 15 2012, 10:49 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

QUOTE(Hico @ Nov 15 2012, 10:10 PM)
i got one enquiry, if i am staying in jb for 2 nights, then only fly back from sg to kl on the 3rd day. if i purchase anything in sg on the first day, can i still claim back the gst on the 3rd day when i use flight?
Yes, no matter what transport u using to enter Singapore, as long as u using air transport depart from Singapore to any destination then you are entitle for it.... But u need to let the shop to know you are claiming gst then in their receipt, they will stated how much gst and what amount.... Then u can claim yr gst while u fly from Singapore to any places....
Hico
post Nov 16 2012, 07:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,709 posts

QUOTE(yiyibrowers @ Nov 15 2012, 10:49 PM)
Yes, no matter what transport u using to enter Singapore, as long as u using air transport depart from Singapore to any destination then you are entitle for it.... But u need to let the shop to know you are claiming gst then in their receipt, they will stated how much gst and what amount.... Then u can claim yr gst while u fly from Singapore to any places....
thanks...so mean eventhough i left the sg on the first night, then go in sg again the next day, i still can claim the gst back for the things that i bought on the 1st day? is there any condition like need to stay in sg for how long, then only entitle for the gst claim?
yiyibrowers
post Nov 16 2012, 02:07 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

QUOTE(Hico @ Nov 16 2012, 08:33 AM)
thanks...so mean eventhough i left the sg on the first night, then go in sg again the next day, i still can claim the gst back for the things that i bought on the 1st day? is there any condition like need to stay in sg for how long, then only entitle for the gst claim?
Mostly is no as long as u have air ticket to depart from sg... As I went to sg last year and overnight for one night only....
eeki
post Nov 16 2012, 09:05 PM

Getting Started
299 posts

QUOTE(yiyibrowers @ Nov 15 2012, 10:49 PM)
ah, so gst only can be claim if using air transport eh? how about by bus?

Added on November 16, 2012, 9:09 pm
QUOTE(deodorant @ Nov 14 2012, 05:46 PM)

try not to choose bencoolen for now until next five year. reason why SG now is developing another MRT route which pass by bencoolen street.

I just came back from SG few days ago and staying at Hotel 81 bencoolen, which is directly opposite the contruction area. my window view is the contruction area. may not be a problems if you didnt intend to stay at hotel during daytime. but actually ibis is quite far from the construction area.

This post has been edited by eeki: Nov 16 2012, 09:12 PM
yiyibrowers
post Nov 16 2012, 11:38 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

QUOTE(eeki @ Nov 16 2012, 10:05 PM)
ah, so gst only can be claim if using air transport eh? how about by bus?

Added on November 16, 2012, 9:09 pm

try not to choose bencoolen for now until next five year. reason why SG now is developing another MRT route which pass by bencoolen street.

I just came back from SG few days ago and staying at Hotel 81 bencoolen, which is directly opposite the contruction area. my window view is the contruction area. may not be a problems if you didnt intend to stay at hotel during daytime. but actually ibis is quite far from the construction area.
It won be so good that use bus transport also able to claim gst....
louyeh
post Nov 17 2012, 10:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

Singapore LTA launched a new version for the Autopass card (chipless, only has magnetic strip) which can be used for public transport payment too.

Downside is that it is not accepted at majority of the current car park systems except for VEP and ERP payments. Current car park systems is NOT able to recognize the new Autopass card. New vehicles entering Singapore needs to purchase the NETS cashcard for car park payments.

This post has been edited by louyeh: Nov 17 2012, 10:35 AM
deodorant
post Nov 17 2012, 11:39 AM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(louyeh @ Nov 17 2012, 10:34 AM)
Singapore LTA launched a new version for the Autopass card (chipless, only has magnetic strip) which can be used for public transport payment too.

Downside is that it is not accepted at majority of the current car park systems except for VEP and ERP payments. Current car park systems is NOT able to recognize the new Autopass card. New vehicles entering Singapore needs to purchase the NETS cashcard for car park payments.

Really? This seems like a backward step. Drivers who drive into SG would more likely need their Autopass to pay for car parks in town/housing areas/etc rather than use it as an EZLink for MRT/bus, no?
codenamew
post Nov 17 2012, 09:22 PM

On my way
592 posts

anyone have the idea what time is the last bus from SG to JB?
NQD
post Nov 17 2012, 10:35 PM

46 posts

From woodlands, last bus to jb at 1130
QUOTE(codenamew @ Nov 17 2012, 09:22 PM)
anyone have the idea what time is the last bus from SG to JB?
This post has been edited by NQD: Nov 17 2012, 10:38 PM
rayfoo
post Nov 20 2012, 10:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

Where can find more info? Can't find this info at LTA website

Kimichi
post Nov 21 2012, 09:00 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

hi guys!

good job on V2!

anyway is there any 1 day pass available for singapore public transport?

louyeh
post Nov 22 2012, 04:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(rayfoo @ Nov 20 2012, 10:25 PM)
Where can find more info? Can't find this info at LTA website
yup, no info on LTA.

found out about this when i recently purchased the autopass at tuas checkpoint. tested new autopass at biopolis and jurong point, it will say no cashcard detected.
victim_of_malware
post Nov 24 2012, 03:36 AM

8 posts

ATM card issued by Singapore bank also are chipless with magnetic strip only (so far i know DBS, OCBC, StandardChartered ATM cards are chipless).
Watch in the Astro's CI channel few days ago.
Hackers in US are able to hack into bank's computer system and steal their customer's ATM card pin and than they are able to clone the(magnetic type) ATM card and make unauthorised ATM withdrawals.

I would guess if the bank use chip type ATM card than it is impossible or more difficult to clone the ATM card even if the hackers have the ATM card's PIN.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/...105-320153.html

This post has been edited by victim_of_malware: Nov 24 2012, 04:31 AM
Chrisky
post Nov 24 2012, 07:50 PM

Romanista
4,567 posts

QUOTE(Kimichi @ Nov 21 2012, 09:00 AM)
hi guys!

good job on V2!

anyway is there any 1 day pass available for singapore public transport?
yes, its called Singapore Tourist Pass - http://www.thesingaporetouristpass.com/html/index.php

56 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0264sec    0.81    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM