18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Audiophile Bookshelf Speaker: X-LS Encore, Rated 5-star from audiofi.net

views

TSfx20
post Oct 10 2012, 10:49 PM, updated 8y ago

Enthusiast
817 posts

On 1st Oct 2015, we are celebrating our 3rd anniversary as of Internet hifi company in Malaysia. Being the first registered company in Malaysia to market audiophile gears through Internet, it was rather challenging and fun. We have many customers perceived us as local brand, but in reality, we are an Internet marketing company attempting to introduce high performance/price audio gears to local, especially those extra ordinary high quality products from USA, with wonderful price and superior customer service. In 2015, we sell our products to India as well as Australia.

The following awards speak.

Product of the year 2006, Goodsound!
Exceptional Value 2006, Tone Audio. Go to page 30-32.
Budget speaker of the year, Audioholics.
Best Buy Award, Consumer Guide.
Winner of Great Small Speaker Shootout, Stereomojo. <---- This is really a very interesting reviews. You will surprise who were x-ls PKed.
Reviewers Choice, Home Theater Sound.

2014 reviews:
Deaf Can Hear

More reviews followed:

Secret of Home Theater and High Fidelity
Audiocholics
Positive Feedback

X-LS Encore, RM1290+Shipping. Available now from Curve Acoustics.

XLS Encore vs Usher S-520

user posted image

user posted image

Our MTM, X-CS Encore
user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by fx20: Jan 20 2016, 09:48 PM
jchong
post Oct 11 2012, 11:00 PM

5,989 posts

QUOTE(fx20 @ Oct 10 2012, 10:49 PM)
The bookshelf speaker is delicately designed and engineered by Mark L. Schifters and Danny Richie.

You mean the Mark L. Schifter of AV123?
TSfx20
post Oct 11 2012, 11:12 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

Yes, Mark L. Schifter of former AV123. Do you know him?

This post has been edited by fx20: Oct 11 2012, 11:29 PM
tunertoobe
post Oct 12 2012, 08:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

I googled that name and....the result was not what I expected. sweat.gif
ktek
post Oct 12 2012, 09:01 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,524 posts

this can fight with previously all time fav wharfedale diamond?
Enigmatic
post Oct 12 2012, 09:20 AM

Tralala?
3,291 posts

sweat.gif

That guy has quite "the" history, ey.
TSfx20
post Oct 12 2012, 01:15 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

I see Mark of former AV123 a great speaker designer. He has many great products like Rocket series, x-series, starta mini, x-statik, Onix Ref 1 and etc (if you google this products, you will know what I meant). I personally have listened to these products and I was blown way by their performance/price. He has some legal issues right now because of the way he ran his former company, AV123. The main reason he got himself into trouble because he did not file bankruptcy and the debtors bite back and sue him.

Let put aside his personal life because we are not interested in him.

Curve Acoustics does not affiliated with Mark or AV123. We are only a small company based in Malaysia trying to reproduce great speakers or amp we have known of. x-ls Encore is one of them because its performance/price and popularity in US. We are given the exclusive right to reproduce these great speaker with the original design and parts. The speakers are build in a factory which also building cabinet for other big brands (I can't mention them). The drivers are from Peerless.

In fact you can read the review here.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/av123_xls_xsub.htm
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_3...ers-8-2006.html

The speaker has won Goodsound! award, there are not many speakers being awarded this award.

We love music. Our mission here is to introduce affordable high quality products to music lover in Malaysia. Today, it is hard to buy "valued" or great deal hifi equipment. We want to change that.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us, we are more than happier to chit-chat with you.

But the way, if you bought the speaker and you don't like it, you can always return them to us. We definitely won't want you to spend money on products that you are not satisfied with.

Added on October 12, 2012, 1:27 pm
QUOTE(ktek @ Oct 12 2012, 09:01 AM)
this can fight with previously all time fav wharfedale diamond?
I am not sure, I have never compared with wharfedale diamond. But We have compared it with USD1000 Paradigm bookshelf, Ascend Acoustic 170, and a monitor audio (forgot the model), most of us think x-ls Encore sounded very similar to them with improvement in detail and warm.

I would definitely like to see the comparison of it to wharfedale diamond.

This post has been edited by fx20: Oct 12 2012, 01:44 PM
HiFiFreak
post Oct 24 2012, 01:12 PM

14 posts

hi there, i am from sarawak, can i audition the speaker?
wildwestgoh
post Oct 24 2012, 02:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,215 posts

For the picture 5 & 6, why does it has 2 port at the back? Or is it related to the last picture?
Is the last picture the AMP of the speaker? Looks... erm... simple??!!
tunertoobe
post Oct 24 2012, 03:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

QUOTE(wildwestgoh @ Oct 24 2012, 02:10 PM)
For the picture 5 & 6, why does it has 2 port at the back? Or is it related to the last picture?
I think that's the crossover circuit.
TSfx20
post Oct 24 2012, 05:18 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

QUOTE(HiFiFreak @ Oct 24 2012, 01:12 PM)
hi there, i am from sarawak, can i audition the speaker?
We are planning to create a gathering in Kuching for those who loves hifi and music. The purpose is to connect more friends of same interest and share our gears.
Maybe I will demo the speaker in the next gathering.
For those who are interested you can PM me. I will notify you the date and place.

Added on October 24, 2012, 5:23 pm
QUOTE(wildwestgoh @ Oct 24 2012, 02:10 PM)
I believe you are talking about the rear speaker port and terminal.
Speaker rear port is known as bass reflex. It allows air to flow out of the speaker and are designed to increase the bass response.

The terminal port is to connect your cable the speaker.

The 'AMP' you referring to is the crossover. Crossovers split the audio signal into separate frequency bands that can be separately routed to loudspeakers optimized for those bands. It looks like 'AMP' because it was built with audiophile grade capacitance, inductors and resistance which you normally wouldn't find in normal speakers.

Added on October 24, 2012, 5:24 pm
QUOTE(tunertoobe @ Oct 24 2012, 03:41 PM)
I think that's the crossover circuit.
Exactly.

This post has been edited by fx20: Oct 24 2012, 05:24 PM
dennisyeoh
post Oct 25 2012, 01:23 AM

teehee
718 posts

this is not a active speaker right?
wildwestgoh
post Oct 25 2012, 10:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,215 posts

QUOTE(dennisyeoh @ Oct 25 2012, 01:23 AM)
After tunertoobe and fx20 explanation, I can assume that this is passive speakers, cause I don't see any power connector socket anywhere at the speakers as well. hmm.gif

Website didn't shows any power input specifications for the speakers. hmm.gif

The shop is at Batu Kawa, can save lots of shipping fees for Kuching-ian, yeah~ thumbup.gif (No wonder the shipping fees is higher to peninsular.. huh shocking.gif )

This post has been edited by wildwestgoh: Oct 25 2012, 10:36 AM
TSfx20
post Oct 25 2012, 12:10 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

QUOTE(dennisyeoh @ Oct 25 2012, 01:23 AM)
Indeed, this is a passive speaker. You can drive the speaker with any amp of your preference. And, it is very easy to drive to its essence.
I have seen it being driven with 40w china tube amp, 100w 10-year old Teac solid state whereas I am feeding it with my 150W monoblock. Regardless, they all sound clear and fast in LF.

Anyway, we gonna try it with an entry level AVR this weekend. More to come.

Added on October 25, 2012, 12:27 pm
QUOTE(wildwestgoh @ Oct 25 2012, 10:28 AM)
After tunertoobe and fx20 explanation, I can assume that this is passive speakers, cause I don't see any power connector socket anywhere at the speakers as well. hmm.gif

Website didn't shows any power input specifications for the speakers. hmm.gif

The shop is at Batu Kawa, can save lots of shipping fees for Kuching-ian, yeah~ thumbup.gif (No wonder the shipping fees is higher to peninsular.. huh shocking.gif )
You are absolutely right, Wildwestgoh. It is a passive one.

Since we are discussing active/passive speaker, let me tell you something, the speaker shares a similarity with one of the high end active monitor from Sonodyne at http://www.sonodyne.com

You are a small guy, I believe you are able to spot what is it.

What power input spec are you looking for?

Batu Kawa is our warehouse and we normally ship from there. For Kuching-ian, you can do pick up and that will save you some cost. Anyway, even with shipping cost, this is still worth to have. Believe me or not, the speaker had been compared with several bookshelf (paradigm, monitor audio, axiom etc) priced at RM2.5k-3.3k (Malaysia retail price), so far, none could match its clear mid, smooth high and fast low frequency.

Please don't take our words for it, you can compare it yourself. If you found out it is not what is like, you can always return the speaker and you will be refunded.

This post has been edited by fx20: Oct 25 2012, 12:27 PM
tunertoobe
post Oct 25 2012, 12:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to book shelf, or any serious speakers. What's its best usage, PC/laptop with external DAC/amp, hooking it up to a CD player and amp for general listening to music at the living room, replacement for the TV speakers?
TSfx20
post Oct 25 2012, 12:49 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

QUOTE(tunertoobe @ Oct 25 2012, 12:37 PM)
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to book shelf, or any serious speakers. What's its best usage, PC/laptop with external DAC/amp, hooking it up to a CD player and amp for general listening to music at the living room, replacement for the TV speakers?
I would categorize x-ls Encore as high end audiophile speaker, especially when you want transparent or natural sound, flat response from your source. It it best for both stereo or HT, depend on ones' preference. I am using 5 pieces of it for 5.1 movies and 2 piece for 2.0 music. They are meant for bedroom, living room, office etc.

You can definitely use is for PC/laptop, but please make you have an amp (AVR, integrated, power amp, tube, class d, etc...) to drive it. The output from PC/Laptop or headphone amp is too weak to "sound" the speaker.

santik
post Oct 25 2012, 01:17 PM

Casual
410 posts

Somehow the speakers looks a lot like passive speakers of Edifier R1900TIII.

tunertoobe
post Oct 25 2012, 01:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

QUOTE(fx20 @ Oct 25 2012, 12:49 PM)
I would categorize x-ls Encore as high end audiophile speaker, especially when you want transparent or natural sound, flat response from your source. It it best for both  stereo or HT, depend on ones' preference. I am using 5 pieces of it for 5.1 movies and 2 piece for 2.0 music. They are meant for bedroom, living room, office etc.

You can definitely use is for PC/laptop, but please make you have an amp (AVR, integrated, power amp, tube, class d, etc...) to drive it. The output from PC/Laptop or headphone amp is too weak to "sound" the speaker.
Oh, I see.
We're actually looking for speakers to replace the ones on the TV, and get an amp for it as well. The ones on the TV can be too boomy, but then when we dial down the bass it's too flat and make vocals sound too 'plastic'. There's nothing we can do to make the sound balanced. It's a Samsung LCD BTW so those tiny speakers although can be loud without crackling, it never consistently sounds good, not with music or movies.
muzikdanlirik
post Oct 30 2012, 07:27 PM

1 posts

Wow....how can I get this speaker in KL?
TSfx20
post Oct 30 2012, 09:37 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

QUOTE(muzikdanlirik @ Oct 30 2012, 07:27 PM)
Wow....how can I get this speaker in KL?
You can order it right here

http://www.curveacoustics.com/speaker-x-ls-encore.html

,it will be delivered to your doorstep 3-4 days,

18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0214sec    0.46    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:32 PM