Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

64 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Travelling Tips & airport/airline rules, Thing to bring & things to avoid

views

TSepsilon_chinwk86
post Feb 6 2006, 11:01 PM, updated 14y ago

On my way
601 posts

Since this is a Travel & Living Subforum I don think it is appropriate not to a have a thread on this. And to start, here is some of mine(some are invented myself, some read from here and there and some are given by ppl)
  1. Bring enough clothing. Always bring extras just in case.
  2. Jeans can be worn for more than a day.
  3. Always bring a set of clothing in your hand carried luggage in case your checked in luggage were missing/stolen or some other mishap happen(touchwood tochwood)
  4. Use a waist strapped travel pouch(not the ahbeng VCD peddler type but those that can be hidden behind your clothing and thin. ) to store your money, credit cards etc.
  5. Never keep all your money in one place(ie; wallet). Put them seperately in your other pockets or inside your shoes.
  6. Get comfortable shoes(for me I prefer sandals as I like my feet to be free)
  7. Hotel hair dryer have more usage other than for drying your hair.(I just found this out recently)Earlier I said that jeans can be worn for several days right?but then sometimes it gets a little moist and cold on the inside and it could be very uncomfortable. So use the hair dryer to "shoot" some hot air into ur jeans before putting them on. Same goes for shoes and socks. When it is a little humid on the inside, use the hair dryer.
  8. If some heavy shopping are planned, bring an extra luggage. Put all your clothes into the smaller one and put that luggage into the bigger bag.
  9. When buying pottery/plates/bowls/cups, it is not necessary to use newspaper to wrap them. Ur Used clothing will do. IMHO it is safer this way. You could even stuff your undies inside the bowl/glass to save space.
  10. Unless you are freaking rich and your trip are fully sponsored, do not eat the stuff from your hotel room's minibar or fridge unless it is stated FOC. It costs a bomb. One trick I learnt from my uncle is that after you eat/drink those stuff and wanna avoid paying extra, go get the exact thing from the nearest supermarket/7-11 to replace them.
  11. when travelling to rural/undeveloped/dirty area, dont order teh-o-peng or kopi-o. Insists on untampered can drinks or bottled mineral water to avoid infectous diseases. . This only applies if that place is really that dirty.
  12. Never leave your luggage unlocked in your hotel room.
  13. Before going for holiday, do some research on that place first. Internet or experiences from others. Read up on their cultures to avoid cukture shock later on.
  14. If going for holiday in a group, make sure it is well planned. eg; where to go and when to go. This is to avoid arguements and confusions later on and thus, wasting valueble time.
  15. Brochures and maps available in hotels and airports are there for a reason. Since it is free, why dont just grab a few(dont finish everything though. Thats a very bad habit). It will be helpful especially those maps. It could also be a very good momento
This is all I've got. gonna post somemore if I have. So whats your tips guys?

from u guys
[shark]
  • Always bring one or two locks - dont forget to seal the brand of the locks.

• Bargain whenever u can, alot of tours or hostels give concession prices to backpackers or students.
  • Photocopy (or scan and print) ur IDs like passport, IC, insurance blabla. And leave that copy to someone else.
  • Leave emergency contact in ur pocket or wallet.
  • Let someone know ur plan (travel itinerary). Leave a copy to someone at home maybe
[/shark]

[koochy_rat]
  • Bring washing detergent so you can wash some clothes in the hotel sink.
  • Not all hotels have tea/coffee making facilities, so bring a portable heating element to make your maggi mee or boil water for drinking.
[/koochy_rat]

[Singh_Kalan]
  • u need to carry ur passport all the time in a foreign country. Failure to do so will make u end up in jail.
  • If u travel for a long period of time and carry a large amount of cash, it's better to convert it to traveller's cheque and carry a small amount of cash only.
[/Singh_Kalan]

[mr lappy]
  • 1 tip, have a strong stomach... dont touch anything that will potentially upset your stomach(if u have a crappy stomach tongue.gif)
  • if u have regular medication that u must take, MAKE SURE u bring it along, coz control of drugs are strict in some country and u cant just get them in pharmacy(need priscription and stuff) and this could ruin your entire trip.
  • and build up your stamina for walking as well. travelling involves lots of walking if u want to see more stuff. as for others, i think its been mentioned the wallet and stuff.
  • ID=very important. loose it and u will be in a world of trouble....
  • and another thing when travelling to a foreign place, be alert and aware of your surroundings and try not to look lost(as in that u dont belong in that place/be calm at all times) this is to prevent 'unwanted' ppl from turning their attention to you.
  • and have a creditcard with a high limit(if u from m`sia) coz of xchange rates.. just incase...
  • its also good to keep some major currency as well... USD/EURO/sterlings... easier to change if u ever need it
[/mr lappy]

[elb]
  • I can't believe it that no one hasn't mentioned bringing along a camera yet.
  • Or a guidebook. Lonely Planet / Rough Guides help a lot.
  • Low cost airlines are not usually recommended when you are going as a tourist. Based on my experiences.
  • Better to overbudget than to underbudget.
  • Do not hesitate to spend money. Seriously. You might never ever return to that place ever again in your life (by choice or otherwise). Within reason of course.
  • Try out the local cuisine! Even if it means spending more money than you had originally planned. Tell the staff that you want the local menu, not the tourist menu. Eating pot noodles/ bread three times a day is just sad. So is eating Chinese food in Italy (thanks to number 7). Refer to number 5.
  • Go on your own/ with friends. Tour guides cater for all and sundry and are inflexible. Tours are more suitable when you are older and are travelling with young children/ elderly folk.
  • Need to check how money you have left? Do it in the toilet. Doing so in the open invites all kinds of trouble.
  • DO NOT FFK ONCE PLANS HAVE BEEN FINALISED AND BOOKINGS MADE. Losing interest because 'it was too expensive' eventhough the final price was agreeable with the initial budget reflects badly on you and might end up screwing your friendships.
  • LEARN HOW TO TIP. Not every country has a service charge!!!
  • , is . in most of continental Europe. If something costs EUR10,00 it means TEN Euroes not one thousand!
  • Check for visa requirements! ensure that EVERYONE in your group (easily forgotten when you're travelling with friends from several countries) makes the necessary arrangements and provide for enough time for delivery of the visa! We had the unpleasant experience of planning for a trip when we realised that we needed visas, and with only two weeks to go before the planned date we had to start over.
  • Hostels are great for meeting new friends! Although some females prefer their privacy, so maybe you might want to rent a room instead for the 4/ 6 of you.
  • A student card comes in very handy while sightseeing. get an ISIC card; many places also accept your college/ university card
  • Booking online can lead to great savings. Not only can you compare hotels/ hostels, you are also able to get discounts on transportation. Note again that I do not recommend low cost air carriers if you are travelling as a tourist.
  • Pay more for more centrally located accommodation. Not only is it safer, but you save precious time commuting and reduce the risks of getting lost (really undesirable in dodgy areas). Money buys precious time when you travel.
  • Do not travel in a tour group if you can help it. You will not have the time available to wander off in search of a good photograph.
  • Bring along a light tripod (usually around 1.4kg for carbon fibre), or a light monopod. Make sure that it still can take the weight of your setup! Note that you might be able to use it everywhere.
  • Minimize your kit if possible. Two zoom lenses should be sufficient, once covering wide angles and the other for telephotos.
  • Going digital will help you save a lot in terms of space i.e. no need to bring various films around, no need to worry about x-ray radiation etc.
  • Bring along ample memory! This is especially if you choose to shoot RAW. If you shoot JPEGs you do not need to worry as much because they take up less space compared with RAW and you can always find photography stores who are able to burn your pictures onto a CD for you, freeing up memory.
[/elb]

[Xue]
  • One of the worst attitud is converting prices to ringit Malaysia, and ending up eating bread or junk food, or some awful chinese restaurants' fried rice in Euope/USA.
  • Walking on the street like the local people, eat the local cuisine that their people eat daily and dont try to save this type of money. Of course I dont mean spending a lot to eat in a high class restaurant.
[/Xue]

[Kyliemin]
Some of you might think that looking like a foreigner is cool, but in some country is not. This is because you could be a victim of a crime.

How not to look like a foreigner:
1) Observe the culture. If the culture is t-shirt and jeans, follow it. If the culture is pants and shirts, do as they do.
2) Do not wear "I LOVE MALAYSIA" or "I LOVE NY" shirts. It is wayy too obvious.
3) Do not hang your camera in front of you
[/Kyliemin]

[greyshadow]
How to pack you clothing more efficiently:
Don't fold, but ROLL...
Yes, you heard me right, ROLL your clothing as tight as possible like a swiss roll.
Then you'll have many tightly rolled "swiss roll", then you can start to stuff those "swiss rolls" into your bag.

Why roll and not fold?
Fold will gives you ugly fold mark, wrinkle and etc... also tends to eat up more space in your luggage/bag. Not so space efficient.
If you roll properly... you won't get any ugly fold mark/wrinkles. Also save more space.

Another tip is try to bring a formal wear... at least a long sleeve shirt w/ black slack, or a dress for gal. No batik shirt as batik is only acceptable as formal in this region. Some venue might have certain dress code before allowing you to go in.

[greyshadow]

Toiletries rules:
user posted image

QUOTE(Sonyaa @ Nov 6 2012, 12:23 PM)
What do you do in the case you lose your passport?   icon_question.gif

I still get goose bumps  ohmy.gif every time I fumble through my hand bag nearing to the immigration counter; the first thought that comes to mind...“Have I lost my passport?”
Whether you are a student travelling alone or an elderly couple going off on a global trekking after getting rid of your kids, it is good to know what to do in case of a lost passport.

1. The rule of the thumb is ‘Act Fast!’
2. Report to the local police station if you are within the country or the nearest local embassy if you are out of the country.
3. Go on line to the embassy website and follow instructions for a stolen or lost passport.  Fill in the details of your last passport on line and submit.

It is a great idea to carry photocopies of your passport and distribute them in all the luggage pieces (old fashion??maybe, but surely helpful).  A photocopy is helpful to quickly file in the details of your lost passport.  Try to carry another proof of your identity with you such as an identity card of your state or country or your birth certificate.  It just helps the authorities to process the information faster (you know reduce the impact of red tape).  Embassies do issue a temporary passport or a certificate of travel before a new passport is issued.
Check with your travel agency if your policy covers the cost of lost passport, as some of them do.  Finally, DO NOT panic!  whistling.gif  Keep calm and deal directly with authorities and not any individuals.  Lost passports are a common complaint for embassies and they do deal with them on a priority basis.

QUOTE(Sonyaa @ Nov 20 2012, 10:37 AM)

How to prepare for a long holiday

The other day I had a surprise call from a distant cousin who had come to these parts of the world on a holiday.  My jaw dropped  when he said he was on a six month holiday around the world with his wife and two kids! 

Even in these fast paced times there are people like my cousin who take leisure holidays and don’t seem to regret it one bit.  So, how to go about planning such a holiday?

1. Firstly of course, you have to decide on the route of your holiday and do enough research on the cities, lodging, eateries and sight seeing costs.
2. Once that is done and passports are ready, get a comprehensive health check up and a medical insurance that would cover you overseas too.  Don’t neglect children, as unforeseen accidents can occur.  hmm.gif
3. If the kids are in school, inform the teachers and find out the necessary procedure to keep their admission intact till they go back to school.
4. The house is the biggest headache of them all.  All utility costs such as electricity, gas, water bills have to be paid for or appropriate arrangements should be made. Also arrange for someone to pick your regular mails from the mail box. Consider purchasing travel insurance as some even cover burglaries while you are on your holiday.
5. Disconnect all electric outlets including switching off the modem for computers. 
6. Do leave a set of keys with a trusted friend or family member in case of emergency. 
7. Arrangements for pets and garden maintenance have to be made.  An unkempt front yard is the most obvious indication of an empty house!
8.  Leave your contact number, email or any other means of communication with friends.  Do call every once in a while to let them know of your whereabouts.
9. Packing is probably the most important part of your long travel.  Do get to know the weather and pack appropriate clothes and medicines.  A First aid kit with anti diarrhoea medicine is a must.  Ill health can ruin a holiday completely.
10. Although I am writing this as a last point, it should be one of the first things to finish – informing friends and saying good bye.  Very often, you sit in the aircraft and wonder if you have informed every one.  It is a time taking procedure and best done at the beginning while spreading out over a few days.
Once all the important issues have been done dealt with, you can enjoy your holiday in peace without having to worry about home base.

Added on December 20, 2012, 12:44 pmHow to spend time in the airport between connecting flights

Waiting in the airport for your next connecting flight can be one of the most boring experiences!  I am sure many of us have had to go through this at least once in our lifetime. 

There are quite a few things we can do in the airports that could be beneficial to us and help in killing time.

1.  The most important thing according to me would be to take a stroll around.  If you have had a long flight or about to board a long flight, a good stroll around the airport should give a boost to your circulation.
2. Don’t hesitate to look around the duty free shops without any pressure to buy the products.  The shop owners here do realize that people just come in for curiosity or to kill time!
3. If the wait is for ten hours or more, many take the advantage of sightseeing within the city.  Of course, you will have to find the visa requirements for such an outing.  Some airports have city coaches that take you around the city and bring you back to the airport within a specified time.
4. Remember to adjust your time to the local time so as not to confuse with flight departures and boarding time. 
5. If you are not happy going out of the airport, then catch up on your computer work.  If there is good internet access, catch up on your email. 
6. You could do some simple exercises that are not obvious such as eye exercise, breathing techniques, stretches, stomach exercises such as sucking in and expelling etc.
7. Some airports have massage chairs or feet massaging machines that are worth a try.  It will help you to feel fresh and relaxed.
8. There are also salons that offer manicure, pedicure and facials. 
9. Computer games, puzzles, Sudoku are all time favorites with travelers.
10. If you wish to have a snack, take your time looking around the restaurants.  Check out the menus and prices.  Remember most airports have water fountains.
11. There are plenty of book stores that have a wide variety of books and magazines.  Browse through these stores to find a magazine of your interest. 
12. Finally, do listen attentively to the announcements.  If you have to check in again, give yourself enough time to check in.   cool.gif
The trick in such a situation is to keep yourself occupied and to avoid frustration.  Some travelers have the art of striking conversation with fellow passengers.  This cannot be recommended for everyone!  Whatever it is, remember a happy traveler is one who is smart and can keep himself/herself occupied!

QUOTE(Sonyaa @ Nov 6 2012, 12:27 PM)
What do you do in case you lose your luggage?

Imagine going on a much anticipated holiday and finding your luggage missing at the airport!  shocking.gif This really happened to my friends recently, who had no clue as to what to do next…

Losing baggage is a reality that could happen to anyone.  We really can’t ‘keep an eye’ on it through the transit.  Can we?  However if it does happen to you, here are a few things you should keep in mind.

1. Go straight to the baggage services counter and report your lost baggage.
2. Show the baggage tag card (which would have been issued along with your ticket) with bar coding which is proof of your checked in baggage.
3. Fill in the appropriate forms and do leave your contact number. 

Since the loss is yours, do not just report and wait for the authorities to spring into action (not sure how long this may take!!).  Baggage loss requires a proactive involvement of the passenger…Yup  don’t hesitate to call frequently to inquire the status or if you wish to give some extra details of the luggage that you haven’t given before… the more you push, the better it is guys!

Finally check with your travel insurance if they help in tracing or if you can be reimbursed for your lost baggage.  Remember though, that reimbursement is usually limited.  Lastly, just think how your grandparents travelled.  Bold labels with addresses (as ugly as they may seem  thumbup.gif  ), bright tags for easy identification!  You might cringe at the thought of being seen with such suitcases but the bright side is that no one can pick it up by mistake!

Added on November 20, 2012, 10:42 amWhat should you do if you miss your flight?

Last month my friend’s husband who is a frequent flier missed his flight to US.  That set me thinking.  It could happen to anyone…

As I asked my friend about what happened next she told me that he got a free booking for the next flight! It is good to know how much airlines can help you in such situations.  nod.gif

1. If it is an airlines’ technical problem, then you are automatically booked in the next available flight.
2. Depending on the airlines and the type of ticket, even if the delay is due to the passenger’s fault, he or she is booked in the next available flight without a fee.  However many low cost airlines cannot do this.
3. Sometimes the passenger is booked in the next available flight for a fee. 
4. At other times they see the difference in cost of ticket between the two flights and just ask you to pay up the difference.  This can be a quite a big amount. 

All airlines do not have the same policy for ‘missed flight’ situations. 

The trick is to push your luck by persuading them or talking to your travel agent.

Added on November 28, 2012, 11:38 amWhat are the precautions to take when travelling with Children

Haven’t you ever seen little kids boarding a flight and cringed at the thought of possible wailing sessions?  Although I manage to fake a bright smile at them, inwardly I am already groaning, ‘there goes my peace of mind!’

I agree it is difficult to keep kids occupied all through the journey but it is certainly possible to avoid long wailing sessions by following some simple precautions.  rolleyes.gif

1. The most obvious rule is to carry food, diapers, medicines (if any) and extra clothing in hand baggage.  (Don’t count on airlines to provide you diapers!)
2. For infants, a carrier that can be hung around the body is advisable.
3. For toddlers a restraint (Which looks a bit like a leash) that keeps them close to you without being able to wander away (while you are busy at the booking counter) is very helpful.  It really gives you the security of having your kid close to you while you need to be busy doing something else.
4. Keep the child on the window side inside the aircraft which will prevent them from walking down the aisle, possibly hurting themselves.
5. Carry some board games including a laptop and let them play so as to keep them occupied.
6. Do not feed them too many sweets as they can get hyper and cranky. I have actually seen this and believe me it is true!
7. Accompany them to the toilet as they can lock themselves in.
If children are travelling with parents then taking turns to nap and relax is a good idea as one can always ‘keep any eye’ on them and prevent mishaps.  These simple rules should give you fewer worry lines on your face and a heave of relief from your co passengers. 

Happy Journey!
This post has been edited by stimix: Apr 9 2013, 03:07 PM
koochy_rat
post Feb 7 2006, 09:28 AM

Getting Started
278 posts

Bring washing detergent so you can wash some clothes in the hotel sink.

If not, then clothes can be worn for more than a day smile.gif

Not all hotels have tea/coffee making facilities, so bring a portable heating element to make your maggi mee or boil water for drinking.
Singh_Kalan
post Feb 7 2006, 10:55 AM

Regular
1,905 posts

QUOTE(koochy_rat @ Feb 7 2006, 09:28 AM)
Bring washing detergent so you can wash some clothes in the hotel sink.

If not, then clothes can be worn for more than a day smile.gif

Not all hotels have tea/coffee making facilities, so bring a portable heating element to make your maggi mee or boil water for drinking.
Bring a fridge too coz not most hotel got. U know after a tiring walk u need some cool drink laugh.gif Come on ler...detergent can be bought anywhere around the world for less than 5 bucks. What for carry around in your luggage?? huh.gif
wlcling
post Feb 7 2006, 12:20 PM

Hippidy Hoppidy
2,711 posts

Hmm...I suggest this be pinned up, since it is a good read to anyone visiting this part of the forums.. smile.gif
wlcling
post Feb 7 2006, 12:23 PM

Hippidy Hoppidy
2,711 posts

How about passport? Its not recommended to leave in Hotels is it? But what if you bring it out, and it gets stolen/drops out? Would it be safe to keep it with Hotel Reception or what?

After all, waist pouches are kinda out of fashion (to me anyways..) smile.gif
TSepsilon_chinwk86
post Feb 7 2006, 12:26 PM

On my way
601 posts

QUOTE(wlcling @ Feb 7 2006, 12:23 PM)
How about passport? Its not recommended to leave in Hotels is it? But what if you bring it out, and it gets stolen/drops out? Would it be safe to keep it with Hotel Reception or what?

What i meant when i said waist pouch are those used for travel purposes which is invisible and hidden behind your shirt/pants. Whos gonna wear the ahbeng VCD peddler type and walk around anyway.

Leaving it with the hotel reception is acceptable provided they are trustworthy. But in foreign country it is always better to bring them with you right?(again, in your invisible waist pouch)
wlcling
post Feb 7 2006, 12:29 PM

Hippidy Hoppidy
2,711 posts

QUOTE(epsilon_chinwk86 @ Feb 7 2006, 12:26 PM)
Whos gonna wear the ahbeng VCD peddler type and walk around anyway.
Hmm.. my dad? wink.gif
Singh_Kalan
post Feb 7 2006, 12:59 PM

Regular
1,905 posts

QUOTE(wlcling @ Feb 7 2006, 12:23 PM)

u need to carry ur passport all the time in a foreign country. Failure to do so will make u end up in jail. laugh.gif
Tips: If u travel for a long period of time and carry a large amount of cash, it's better to convert it to traveller's cheque and carry a small amount of cash only.
koochy_rat
post Feb 7 2006, 02:11 PM

Getting Started
278 posts

QUOTE(Singh_Kalan @ Feb 7 2006, 10:55 AM)
Bring a fridge too coz not most hotel got. U know after a tiring walk u need some cool drink  laugh.gif  Come on ler...detergent can be bought anywhere around the world for less than 5 bucks.  What for carry around in your luggage??  huh.gif
Well, i've been in such situations where those things would have come in handy. I didn't say bring the whole 1kg bag of detergent lar tongue.gif Just a bit will do. Remember that not all hotels are nicely located in the city where you can easily get provisions.. the nearest shop can be miles away. And have you ever paid RM40 for a 1.5l bottle of mineral water?
TSepsilon_chinwk86
post Feb 7 2006, 02:48 PM

On my way
601 posts

QUOTE(koochy_rat @ Feb 7 2006, 02:11 PM)
Well, i've been in such situations where those things would have come in handy. I didn't say bring the whole 1kg bag of detergent lar tongue.gif Just a bit will do. Remember that not all hotels are nicely located in the city where you can easily get provisions.. the nearest shop can be miles away. And have you ever paid RM40 for a 1.5l bottle of mineral water?
40 bucks for mineral water still never. But 60 bucks for a jug of beer got la. Juz recently. sweat.gif
mr lappy
post Feb 8 2006, 01:07 AM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(koochy_rat @ Feb 7 2006, 02:11 PM)
yes and probably more...

have u ever paid RM130++ for a snack? tongue.gif

1 tip, have a strong stomach... dont touch anything that will potentially upset your stomach(if u have a crappy stomach tongue.gif)

if u have regular medication that u must take, MAKE SURE u bring it along, coz control of drugs are strict in some country and u cant just get them in pharmacy(need priscription and stuff) and this could ruin your entire trip.

and build up your stamina for walking as well. travelling involves lots of walking if u want to see more stuff. as for others, i think its been mentioned the wallet and stuff.

ID=very important. loose it and u will be in a world of trouble....

and another thing when travelling to a foreign place, be alert and aware of your surroundings and try not to look lost(as in that u dont belong in that place/be calm at all times) this is to prevent 'unwanted' ppl from turning their attention to you.

and have a creditcard with a high limit(if u from m`sia) coz of xchange rates.. just incase...

its also good to keep some major currency as well... USD/EURO/sterlings... easier to change if u ever need it

This post has been edited by mr lappy: Feb 8 2006, 01:13 AM
xue
post Feb 8 2006, 01:55 AM

22 posts

QUOTE(Singh_Kalan @ Feb 7 2006, 12:59 PM)
u need to carry ur passport all the time in a foreign country. Failure to do so will make u end up in jail. laugh.gif
Tips: If u travel for a long period of time and carry a large amount of cash, it's better to convert it to traveller's cheque and carry a small amount of cash only.
nowadays traveller's cheques might be difficult to cash in some banks and some countries, some of the banks will charge certain amount of 'service charged' as well, read some guidebook or google before travelling.

carrying creit cards will solve problem only if you are in big hotels, certain part of europe rarely take cards for payment of dining, unless you want to go to big restaurant and let them cut throat.

Where do you guys change currency?? at the money changer in town, or at the airport?
elb
post Feb 8 2006, 08:52 AM

On my way
514 posts

1) I can't believe it that no one hasn't mentioned bringing along a camera yet.
2) Or a guidebook. Lonely Planet / Rough Guides help a lot.
3) Low cost airlines are not usually recommended when you are going as a tourist. Based on my experiences.
4) Better to overbudget than to underbudget.
5) Do not hesitate to spend money. Seriously. You might never ever return to that place ever again in your life (by choice or otherwise). Within reason of course.
6) Try out the local cuisine! Even if it means spending more money than you had originally planned. Tell the staff that you want the local menu, not the tourist menu. Eating pot noodles/ bread three times a day is just sad. So is eating Chinese food in Italy (thanks to number 7). Refer to number 5.
7) Go on your own/ with friends. Tour guides cater for all and sundry and are inflexible. Tours are more suitable when you are older and are travelling with young children/ elderly folk.
8) Need to check how money you have left? Do it in the toilet. Doing so in the open invites all kinds of trouble.
8) DO NOT FFK ONCE PLANS HAVE BEEN FINALISED AND BOOKINGS MADE. Losing interest because 'it was too expensive' eventhough the final price was agreeable with the initial budget reflects badly on you and might end up screwing your friendships.
9) LEARN HOW TO TIP. Not every country has a service charge!!!
10) , is . in most of continental Europe. If something costs EUR10,00 it means TEN Euroes not one thousand!
mr lappy
post Feb 8 2006, 09:15 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(elb @ Feb 8 2006, 08:52 AM)
1) I can't believe it that no one hasn't mentioned bringing along a camera yet. 2) Or a guidebook. Lonely Planet / Rough Guides help a lot.
3) Low cost airlines are not usually recommended when you are going as a tourist. Based on my experiences.
4) Better to overbudget than to underbudget.
5) Do not hesitate to spend money. Seriously. You might never ever return to that place ever again in your life (by choice or otherwise). Within reason of course.
6) Try out the local cuisine! Even if it means spending more money than you had originally planned. Tell the staff that you want the local menu, not the tourist menu. Eating pot noodles/ bread three times a day is just sad. So is eating Chinese food in Italy (thanks to number 7). Refer to number 5.
7) Go on your own/ with friends. Tour guides cater for all and sundry and are inflexible. Tours are more suitable when you are older and are travelling with young children/ elderly folk.
8) Need to check how money you have left? Do it in the toilet. Doing so in the open invites all kinds of trouble.
8) DO NOT FFK ONCE PLANS HAVE BEEN FINALISED AND BOOKINGS MADE. Losing interest because 'it was too expensive' eventhough the final price was agreeable with the initial budget reflects badly on you and might end up screwing your friendships.
9) LEARN HOW TO TIP. Not every country has a service charge!!!
10) , is . in most of continental Europe. If something costs EUR10,00 it means TEN Euroes not one thousand!
for 1) i think any1 who is travelling would have thought of that... if any1 who travel without a taking a camera along shouldnt be allowed to travel at all tongue.gif

elb
post Feb 8 2006, 10:26 PM

On my way
514 posts

QUOTE(mr lappy @ Feb 8 2006, 02:15 PM)
for 1) i think any1 who is travelling would have thought of that... if any1 who travel without a taking a camera along shouldnt be allowed to travel at all� tongue.gif
well, its just that sometimes the most obvious things are often the most overlooked, just like visas are often forgotten. ;P And in my opinion, if you choose to be a miser, you don't deserve to travel. Imagine someone I know, travelling all the way to Scandinavia and wanting to stay in another friend's room all day and choosing to eat cheap bread as meals instead of making the most of the rare opportunity that she had doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif . Good thing the other friend had the sense to drag her out. You might as well sit at home and stare longingly at photographs other people took of the places you want to travel.

even more tips from my experience:

1) Check for visa requirements! ensure that EVERYONE in your group (easily forgotten when you're travelling with friends from several countries) makes the necessary arrangements and provide for enough time for delivery of the visa! We had the unpleasant experience of planning for a trip when we realised that we needed visas, and with only two weeks to go before the planned date we had to start over.
2) Hostels are great for meeting new friends! Although some females prefer their privacy, so maybe you might want to rent a room instead for the 4/ 6 of you.
3) A student card comes in very handy while sightseeing. get an ISIC card; many places also accept your college/ university card
4) Booking online can lead to great savings. Not only can you compare hotels/ hostels, you are also able to get discounts on transportation. Note again that I do not recommend low cost air carriers if you are travelling as a tourist.
5) Pay more for more centrally located accommodation. Not only is it safer, but you save precious time commuting and reduce the risks of getting lost (really undesirable in dodgy areas). Money buys precious time when you travel.

This post has been edited by elb: Feb 8 2006, 10:51 PM
Ah WanG
post Feb 9 2006, 01:24 AM

Banned
Group Icon
Staff
6,515 posts

quite a nice info u have there
Topic Pinned

just pm me if u feel this topic should not be pinned
xue
post Feb 10 2006, 02:05 AM

22 posts

One of the worst attitud is converting prices to ringit Malaysia, and ending up eating bread or junk food, or some awful chinese restaurants' fried rice in Euope/USA.
cry.gif

Walking on the street like the local people, eat the local cuisine that their people eat daily and dont try to save this type of money. Of course I dont mean spending a lot to eat in a high class restaurant.

elb
post Feb 10 2006, 03:19 AM

On my way
514 posts

QUOTE(xue @ Feb 9 2006, 07:05 PM)
One of the worst attitud is converting prices to ringit Malaysia, and ending up eating bread or junk food, or some awful chinese restaurants' fried rice in Euope/USA.
cry.gif

Walking on the street like the local people, eat the local cuisine that their people eat daily and dont try to save this type of money. Of course I dont mean spending a lot to eat in a high class restaurant.
precisely what i meant earlier smile.gif you need to think in terms of local currency
kyliemin
post Feb 10 2006, 04:23 AM

Back for an encore
999 posts

haha.. there is a few tips I read from a magazine 2 days ago.

Some of you might think that looking like a foreigner is cool, but in some country is not. This is because you could be a victim of a crime.

How not to look like a foreigner:
1) Observe the culture. If the culture is t-shirt and jeans, follow it. If the culture is pants and shirts, do as they do.
2) Do not wear "I LOVE MALAYSIA" or "I LOVE NY" shirts. It is wayy too obvious.

*I can't remember anymore. Will come back and update.

elb
post Feb 10 2006, 04:47 AM

On my way
514 posts

QUOTE(kyliemin @ Feb 9 2006, 09:23 PM)

*I can't remember anymore. Will come back and update.
I don't think I can quite do that with my SLR setup. It, along with my tripod, sticks out like a sore thumb LOL. I haven't run into trouble so far yet carrying it around with my travels luckily smile.gif *touch wood*

Speaking about that, I think I'll put up a little post about travel photography (with regards to SLRs) later tongue.gif

This post has been edited by elb: Feb 10 2006, 04:50 AM

64 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:18 PM