Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mechanical Keyboard Club v7, MX red blue brown black

views

TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 02:50 PM, updated 12y ago

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

Mechanical Keyboard Club is currently on v7, let's spread more poison!
Special Thanks and Credits To Moogle Stilzkin for Creating The Mechanical Keyboard Club.

For Those that do not have Geekhack ID, Please use the Following ID and Pass to login to read. (Credits to Metallics)
Username = molto
Password = 12345

Dome Switch
user posted image
Dome switch keyboards are a hybrid of flat-panel membrane and mechanical keyboards. They bring two circuit board traces together under a rubber or silicone keypad using either metal "dome" switches or polyester formed domes. The metal dome switches are formed pieces of stainless steel that, when compressed, give the user a crisp, positive tactile feedback. These metal types of dome switches are very common, are usually reliable to over 5 million cycles, and can be plated in either nickel, silver or gold. The rubber dome switches, most commonly referred to as polydomes, are formed polyester domes where the inside bubble is coated in graphite. While polydomes are typically cheaper than metal domes, they lack the crisp snap of the metal domes, and usually have a lower life specification. Polydomes are considered very quiet, but purists tend to find them "mushy" because the collapsing dome does not provide as much positive response as metal domes. For either metal or polydomes, when a key is pressed, it collapses the dome, which connects the two circuit traces and completes the connection to enter the character. The pattern on the PC board is often gold-plated.

Scissor Switch
user posted image
A special case of the computer keyboard dome-switch is the scissor-switch. The keys are attached to the keyboard via two plastic pieces that interlock in a "scissor"-like fashion, and snap to the keyboard and the key. It still uses rubber domes, but a special plastic 'scissors' mechanism links the keycap to a plunger that depresses the rubber dome with a much shorter travel than the typical rubber dome keyboard. Typically scissor-switch keyboards also employ 3-layer membranes as the electrical component of the switch. These stabilizing scissor-like devices extend the lifespan of the membrane to as much as 10 million keystrokes. They also usually have a shorter total key travel distance (2 mm instead of 3.5 – 4 mm for standard dome-switch keyswitches). This type of keyswitch is often found on the built-in keyboards on laptops and keyboards marketed as 'low-profile'. These keyboards are generally quiet and the keys require little force to press. Scissor-switch keyboards are typically slightly more expensive. They are harder to clean (due to the limited movement of the keys and their multiple attachment points) but also less likely to get debris in them as the gaps between the keys are often less (as there is no need for extra room to allow for the 'wiggle' in the key as you would find on a membrane keyboard).

Mechanical Keyboard Switches(All below are Mechanical Keyboard Switch)

Introduction - A Switch is Not "Just a Switch"
Many people ask for recommendations about switches without knowing exactly what they are looking for, but instead only with an idea of what their needs are. Fortunately, this is not always a problem because most mechanical switches will always feel nicer than rubber domes. However, the final choice is very important because a switch is not just a switch; it is the heart of what makes your keyboard have its feel and your personal tastes can make or break a keyboard for your uses. If you don't like the switch when you type on it, most likely, you won't ever like the keyboard.
Switches are generally rated by force using the weight measurement of Grams (g). Although force is more accurately described using Centinewtons (cN) However, 1g of weight applies about 1cN of downward force, so we can use "55g" when describing a 55cN-rated switch because that is sometimes easier to understand. For this fact; we'll use Grams as a measurement of force; though either term is correct.

user posted image
Cherry MX Black Switches
Type: Linear Switch
Tactile: No
Clicky: No
Actuation Force: 60g (40g-80g overall)
Key Travel: 2mm to actuation, 4mm to bottom
=>Cherry MX-Black switches are linear (non-tactile) switches, these are considered one of the best switch types for gaming. When gaming, having a tactile bump does absolutely nothing because you're going to be bottoming out anyway. So these give you a very smooth feel. The actuation and release points are at the exact same position as well. So games that require a lot of double tapping become easier than on any other keyswitch. However, most people don't enjoy typing on them that much do in part, to their linear nature.

=>If you're a person who tends to hit a wrong key every so often while gaming, these will be beneficial in that the high actuation force will help prevent many of those accidental presses.

user posted image
Cherry MX Brown Switches
Type: Tactile Switch
Tactile: Yes
Actuation Force: 45g (55g Peak Force)
=>Cherry MX Brown switches are considered a middle ground between typing and "gaming" switches. They have a light, tactile feel half way through the key press that lets you know the switch has activated. This gives you an indication of what you can release the switch. The switch is considered a middle ground because the reset point & actuation point are close enough together than you can "float" at that point, enabling you to double tap faster.

=>As a note: this switch actually has a peak force of 55G, it is 45G at the point of actuation. This is due to the design of the Cherry switch itself.

user posted image
Cherry MX Blue Switches
Type: Tactile & Clicky Switch
Tactile: Yes, precise
Clicky: Yes
Actuation Force: 50g (60g Peak Force)
=>Cherry MX Blue switches are the best cherry switch for typing. The tactile bump can easily be felt, and the resistance is similar to your average keyboard.

=>Although many people find them just fine for gaming, some don't like the fact that the release point is above the actuation point. This can cause some trouble with double-tapping. This is usually the case with someone who has experienced other mechanical switches before hand.

=>As a note: this switch actually has a peak force of 60g, it is 50g at the point of actuation. This is due to the design of the Cherry switch itself.

user posted image
Cherry MX Clear Switches
Type: Tactile Switch
Actuation Force: 55g (65G peak force)
=>Cherry MX Clear switches have often been called "stiffer browns" though some users note that they have more of a tactile feel than browns do. This really can be a subjective topic, though this is another switch that could be considered "ballanced." The force required is comparable to most rubber dome keyboards, with a nice tactile feedback to tell you the key has actuated. These switches are harder to find on keyboards.

=>As a note: this switch actually has a peak force of 65g, it is 55g at the point of actuation. This is due to the design of the Cherry switch itself.

user posted image
Cherry MX Red Switches
Type: Linear Switch
Tactile: No
Actuation Force: 45g
=>Cherry MX-Red's are another switch that can be considered a "gaming" switch. It's essentially a lighter version of the MX Black, requiring less force to actuate. Most people do not find this switch that good for typing or gaming because it is so light. This switch is hard to find; and was reported as obsolete. Though some board makers still use it for Special Edition keyboards.

user posted image
Buckling Spring Keyswitches
Type: Tactile & Clicky Mechanical Switch
Tactile: Yes, very precise
Clicky: Yes, loud
Actuation Force: 65g-70g
Key Travel: 2.3mm to actuation, 3.7mm to bottom
=>Buckling springs are pretty straightforward once you see them in action. After pushing the key down a certain distance the spring buckles under pressure, causing the hammer at the bottom to hit a membrane sheet and create an electrical contact. The buckling of the spring also provides tactile feedback and a satisfying click as it hits the shaft wall. And you might also notice through the force diagrams that this is the only mechanical switch where the tactile and audible feedback correspond to the exact moment the switch actuates.

Black Alps
Type: Tactile Mechanical Switch
Actuation Force: Simplified 60g, Complicated 70g
Key Travel: 3.5mm
=>Black Alps are one of the two most common Alps switch types. Many people do not like these switches due to the fact that they are stiff, bottom out hard, and tend to develop friction in the travel as they wear. Nonetheless, they are an improvement over most rubber dome keyboards.

=>There are two different types of Black Alps switch - an older type known as the "Complicated" due to the large number of parts in the switch, and a newer type known as the "Simplified", which was manufactured by Alps and some other companies. Complicated switches are common in many older keyboards, particularly the Dell AT101W, which is a very common mechanical keyboard from the 1990s.

=>The most well known Simplified Black switch is made by a company called Fukka, and was used in the ABS M1. The Fukka switch has less resistance, but many claim that it provides less solid tactility than the complicated switch.

White Alps
Type: Clicky & Tactile Mechanical Switch
Clicky: Yes
Actuation Force: 60g-70g
Key Travel: 3.5mm
=>White Alps are one of the most most common Alps switch types. These are far more popular than the Black switches due to more pronounced tactility, and the lower force requirements of some versions. Like the Black Alps, White Alps are much easier to bottom out on compared with other mechanical keyswitch designs.

=>As with the Black switch. there are Complicated and Simplified White switches. The two most popular Simplified White switches are the Fukka and the XM. The XM is almost universally considered to be a terrible switch, it was used on some older Filco Zero models, and some vintage keyboards. The Fukka switch is quite popular, and some people prefer them over the Complicated switch. It is used on some current production Alps keyboards such as current production Filco Zeros, Matias keyboards and some others. Complicated White switches were used on some well made keyboards from the 90s such as the Northgate and Focus keyboards.

=>There are also a variety of White Alps-like switches of varying quality. Some, like the SMK Monterey, are considered very pleasant to type on..

user posted image
Topre Key Switches
Type: Tactile Capacitive Switch
Actuation Force: 30g, 35g, 45g, 55g depending on model
Key Travel: 4mm

=>Topre switches are somewhat of a hybrid switch, and are capacitive by nature. The Topre mechanism uses a spring underneath a rubber dome, and the depression of the spring causes a change in capacitance between the underlying capacitor pads. With this change in capacitance; the switch activates.

=>Topre Switches are considered some of the finest switches available, as they offer a very enjoyable typing experience with a quieter experience compared to a Cherry MX, Alps, or Buckling Spring switch. The reason is Topre switches have the smoothest force gradient even compared to Linear switches like MX-Reds and MX-Blacks.

Some keyboard review by moogle:
Cherry G80-1295 cherry mx black
http://mognet.no-ip.info/wordpress/my-keyb...herry-mx-black/

Ducky DK-9008 G2 Tiger Limited Edition Cherry mx brown
http://mognet.no-ip.info/wordpress/my-keyb.../ducky-dk-9008/

The ducky kb picture is actually showing for the DK-9008 which i sold to someone else. I need to update the picture gallery to reflect for the DK9008 G2 Tiger Limited Edition which i currently am using. I'll update this one when i'm free 

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Sep 21 2012, 12:49 PM
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 02:50 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

Mechanical Keyboard Distributor Information

Ducky
PLAY Interactive Software Sdn Bhd
Telephone: 03 7874 3877
Fax: 03 7874 5877
Contact Person : Josephine Foo
Email: josephine@playinteractive.com.my
Address:
No. 222, Block A3,
Leisure Commerce Square,
No.9, Jalan PJS 8/9,
46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Filco
Inter-Asia Technology Sdn Bhd
Tel: 03-7880 4001 / 03-7880 4002
Fax: 03-7880 9811
E-mail: info@inter-asia.com.my
Address:
16, Jalan PJU 3/47
Sunway Damansara,
47810 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor.

Leopold
Leopold MY Sdn Bhd
Tel: +6016-530 2920
Fax: N/A
E-mail: info@leopold.com.my
Address:
153, Simpang Road,
34000 Taiping,
Perak.

Razer
Ban Leong Technologies Sdn Bhd
Tel: 03-7956 6300
E-mail: support@banleong.com.my
Address:
Ban Leong Technologies Sdn Bhd
Lot 1.02, Level 3, Wisma Academy
Jalan 19/1, 46300 Petaling Jaya

Steelseries
PLAY Interactive Software Sdn Bhd
Tel: 03-7874 3877
Fax: 03-7874 5877
E-mail: josephine@playinteractive.com.my
Address:
No. 222, Block A3,
Leisure Commerce Square,
No.9, Jalan PJS 8/9,
46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Topre Realforce
Leopold MY Sdn Bhd
Tel: +6016-530 2920
E-mail: info@leopold.com.my
Address:
153, Simpang Road,
34000 Taiping,
Perak.

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Aug 11 2012, 05:11 PM
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 02:52 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

Thread History :

Thread V1:https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1610986

Thread V2:https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1799652

Thread V3:https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1928857

Thread V4:https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2096177

Thread V5:https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2240947

Thread V6:http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2329609

================================================================================

Userlist for the sake of having a userlist here
Nopoo Users:
lucidlts -
willaw -
Squarebox

CM Series User:
kyrmian
eusioxn
rao2100

Filco Users:
zellleonhart
alvin8866
Squarebox
willaw
Evo Fantasy
lew999999
zandara
BlueBerry~
Slythape
kEazYc
Slythape
paradis3lost
Volvagia356
eichi-sama
storm88
kianweic
halllo81
SheepMekk
avengers88
Manticore
CyntrixTech

Ducky Series Users:
andrewtho
kyrmian
CwwKiT
Human10
JohnDiew0107
Moogle Stiltzkin
Cyclonechuah
OCN_fssbzz
cusx
micdy
Squarebox
Sky.Live
Kepala Botak
Xcen
VampHexia
ravewar
rockccf
angelofro
skincladalien
kaiserreich
larnelle
westley0214
seichirosano
storm88
guess19
unohoo22
Hyde`fK
EON
Mr.Lonely
Vannus
heavyarm
kyrmian
CwwKiT

Leopold Users:
kyrmian
Human10
kaysa
Cyclonechuah
zandara
Semisweet
jinhan108
Sky.Live
xenodon
SkYY
opalotion
Squarebox
boonykun
skye
angelofro
z3r0h
e1e7en
jian5481
hitman66
RangerKarl
FlakCannon
Heav3nCl0ud
n3wb13
lucidlts
yimingwureze
Raki
mikaelr
Szzz
KilJim )
Hoshiyuu
wilsongunawan
wairai

Steelseries Users:
mizuwhite
BlueBerry~
AlexLai
N1ck
shawnlut
victor2212
warlove3
aegis`
Calvin Seak
jay
Cyclonechuah
StratOS
OCN_fssbzz
lucidlts
Squarebox
angelofro
rockccf
FullMetalBoy
alexander_romanov
vincent5195
kaysa
heavyarm
soR

DAS Users:
alvin8866
OCN_fssbzz
SSJBen
ganstream1
kyrmian

Other Unlisted Brands Users:
OCN_fssbzz - ABS M1 (black ALPS)
Cyclonechuah - ACER 6311-HU (ALPS switch)
THEswordmaster - Cherry G80-3494 Lycus-2 Black (Cherry mx Red)
OCN_fssbzz - Cherry G80-3494 Lycus-2 (Cherry mx Red)
Squarebox - Cherry G80-3494 Lycus-2 (Cherry mx Red with White Rice's geekhack custom made doubleshot abs 108 key cap set installed )
Squarebox - Cherry G80-3494 (Cherry Mx Red)
Squarebox - Cherry G80-1950 (Cherry Mx Brown)
Squarebox - Cherry G80-8113 (Cherry Mx Clear/white)
Squarebox - Cherry G80-8113 (Cherry Mx Clear/white)
Squarebox - Cherry G80-11900 (Cherry Mx Black)
Squarebox - Cherry G80-11900 Custom Mod (Cherry Mx Brown, Blue, Black, Red)
Moogle Stiltzkin - Cherry G80-1295 HAU NKRO (Cherry mx black, very rare vintage keyboard)
Ic3pRInc3sSsIcA - GK-K8000 (Cherry Mx black)
willaw - IBM Model M (1988) (Buckling springs)
Kaiserreich - IBM Model M 59G7980 'Lexmark' (1993) (Buckling spring)
epiguru - IBM Model M Space Saving (1391472, 1991 84-key Bolt-modded) (Buckling springs)
epiguru - IBM Model M (1391401, 1987 white label) (Buckling springs)
snipaboy - IONE Scorpius M10
ooiwbng - XArmor XARMOR U9BL-s (Cherry MX Brown)
JohnDiew0107 - KBC Poker Red Spade Mod (Cherry MX Red) Black Modded to Red
Squarebox - Mionix Zibal 60 (Cherry MX Black)
lucidlts - PLU ML-G2000
lucidlts - PLU ML-G3000 NKRO Edition (Cherry MX Brown)
mikaelr - PLU ML-G2000 (Cherry MX Brown)
low yat 82 - PLU ML-87
lucidlts - PLUM MX104M (Cherry MX Red)
OCN_fssbzz - Rosewill RK9000
ORGRZ`SLAY - eSports MEKA G1 ( Cherry Mx Black )
willaw - Unicomp SpaceSaver
ORGRZ`SLAY - eSports MEKA G1 ( Cherry Mx Black )

TKL keyboards users:
kyrmian -HHKB 2
gven - Filco TKL
JohnDiew0107 - KBC Poker PBT
alvin8866 - Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 (HHKB)
PeaceCraft1989 - Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 (HHKB)
[Top-Gun] - HHKB
Cyclonechuah - Leopold FC200R
dragorc - Leopold realforce 87U45

Users with keyboard worth mentioning:
kianweic - Topre Realforce 103U (Black)
Heavyarm - Ducky Dragon Year (Mx Brown)
Cyclonechuah - Topre Realforce 103U (Black)
Kaysa - Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Edition
dragorc - DUCKY DK9087 Year Of The Dragon mx-red switch

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Sep 11 2012, 06:02 PM
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 03:28 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

it has been outdated for some time d, since cant update frequently, why have it
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 10:39 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

i m gonna put in only the specially worth mentioning keyboards user list, to show the "VIP" stats class, biggrin.gif
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 11:48 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

nevermind, i slowly change, bit by bit
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 11 2012, 11:55 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

i gonna go with brand regardless of switch
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 12 2012, 12:16 AM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

hu~ i think i done a bit on the userlist d, now i have 3 club userlist to maintain sweat.gif

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Aug 12 2012, 12:17 AM
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 12 2012, 08:11 AM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(kyrmian @ Aug 12 2012, 02:27 AM)
and what do you do with the pictures? I don't mind posting mine.. but is it just to prove you actually owns one? lol
posting pictures of how you customize your keyboard, not posting the stock look, here we show our passion to keyboards, not to join "the list"
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 13 2012, 09:59 AM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

huhu~ waiting for so many accesories for my keyboard, already fancy enough, but more to come, hee~
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 13 2012, 01:53 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(zongeva @ Aug 13 2012, 01:27 PM)
It is a keyboard to symbolize the year 2012, which is the year of Dragon in Chinese zodiac, so they replace FGHJ to 2012... if you ask why is that location, it might because the F and J keys are usually where those typist position their index fingers at...

Added on August 13, 2012, 1:28 pmAnyway, anyone interested on this?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34346.0
the FMA keycaps does look quite nice
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 14 2012, 04:00 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(ainuddin @ Aug 14 2012, 03:56 PM)
so here's my ducky mixed up with some semi-transparent kbc keycaps. got all 104 of them, so later i can mix and match if got bored.  brows.gif

user posted image
very nice touch to it, but it will be a death ray if put on max bright off light?
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 14 2012, 05:44 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(yinchet @ Aug 14 2012, 05:41 PM)
how about DIY?
with some good soldering technique can be done, but you need buy switch with led on it
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 14 2012, 08:04 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(shahzad86 @ Aug 14 2012, 07:53 PM)
Pics of my new Ducky smile.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

hm, why the caps lock and the top right LED different color de.. weird weird
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 16 2012, 02:03 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

perhaps i will try to build that green/black color on my ducky, and see how it actually looks on this
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 16 2012, 09:15 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(kaysa @ Aug 16 2012, 07:01 PM)
Of course they are expensive.
every one of them are custom made, can customize the LED light below every key to different color,
can change the key settings like goes without the Window keys, and etc etc.
you can even ask for a non-assembled set then DIY your own welding soldering and selecting different switches,
then then case, the mount board, the feet, everything can be customized.

Those are the Legendary "KMAC".

The keyboard for a true keyboard maniac.
i think can code name your keyboard as "Night Vision Goggles Keyboard" already
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 16 2012, 09:19 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(AlphaBeta @ Aug 16 2012, 09:16 PM)
So I have been given a green light to purchase a mechanical keyboard. I am looking at Black Widow Ultimate Stealth because of the brown switches. I didnt like cherry blue because of the "click" sound is annoying me and the double tapping will be quite tricky on it. I personally tried the blue switches on my friend's BWU but I have yet to try browns.

I game a lot and occasionally type reports when doing work at home. Any feedback from the "brown" guys?
they have been accepted as an all rounder, typical "starter switch", but dont get the BWU, get ducky, leoplold or filco etc, razer has inconsistent quality over their boards

if want backlight, will be ducky or race, or HHKB

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Aug 16 2012, 09:19 PM
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 16 2012, 09:47 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(dragorc @ Aug 16 2012, 09:46 PM)
HKKB got backlit hmm.gif
i think mis-info ba, race only and ducky, third i think is poker, right?

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Aug 16 2012, 09:48 PM
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 16 2012, 09:51 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

but if want macro, only couple left
TSnoobandroid
post Aug 16 2012, 11:06 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(bgkeh @ Aug 16 2012, 11:04 PM)
hi, im using CMstorm Rapid, Blue Switch. can anyone point me out what is the specification of the O-ring to mod my kb? and where i can get it? tried searching at the trade zone, but cant seem to find any.
O-ring only got offshore, mainly china and US, thickness of o-ring will determine the dampening amount of the noise

13 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0418sec    0.63    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:45 PM