Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Google Nexus 7 Official Thread V1, The first Jelly Bean Tablet.

views

IwanAGP
post Jun 29 2012, 02:22 AM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(fabianz03 @ Jun 28 2012, 10:21 PM)
Yea true this but with my current internet connection which is 1Mbps (I suppose not ALL people are on UniFi), I will not waste time uploading 1080p vacation videos to my cloud storage, and that 1Mbps is just download, upload is just 512Kbps, you do the math is say my video is 2GB in size and don't forget to minus 9% TCP/IP overhead for the 512Kbps connection.
1M Streamyx only 384kbps upload laugh.gif Upload one 1080p maybe takes... 24hous? wink.gif
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 10:31 AM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

Erm... For SD Card storage problem... If there's OTG I think it's still acceptable. Want watch movie susah sikit need to hang a Pendrive+OTG cable lo but... Quite fine to me laugh.gif

Added on June 30, 2012, 10:36 am
QUOTE(mikelanding @ Jun 30 2012, 01:28 AM)
App for tablet on Android platform is still not that many. Wait for a while...
Alway like to buy Nexus brand since it is much more "Hackable"

My main reason to buy Nexus 7 ( I already had Playbook 16Gb, New iPad3 16gb) is:
1) Size. I need 7" for more portability
2) Android platform. Since I already had experience on iOS
3) 7" IPS screen at 1280X800...Cant really pass on this awesome screen spec
4) Price is cheap.
5) My usage on tablet are Email (7" portrait typing is very ergo compare to 10" iPad), Flipboard, Twitter, RSS, Facebook (seldom), Stream movie from my PC.
6) Camera, SD slot, Big storage is not important based on my usage.
7) 3G for me is not needed. I can alway tether using my JB iphone.
Quite agree. Using 10" to play FPS/Racing Games looks stupid and seriously will train your muscle. laugh.gif
10" only good for games like Cut the Rope, Angry birds else 7" should be much preferable. Portability too brows.gif
Have you tried android before? If you did, you'll never look back. I love the complication in android platform just like old days, prefer Nokia Symbian than anything else. SE platform at that time looks stupid to me laugh.gif It's complicated! Now I take iOS don't know what I can do. I never own any of them though. 7" IPS still need further feedback. Hope they use one nice IPS screen there.

Tethering is a problem though. It'll be wasting battery for both devices doh.gif But free wifis are everywhere now nod.gif

This post has been edited by IwanAGP: Jun 30 2012, 10:36 AM
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 11:59 AM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(melvin91motorola @ Jun 30 2012, 11:56 AM)
rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  notworthy.gif k k, at 1st im consider chine tab.....but now change my mind edi  blush.gif
laugh.gif I almost bought the Ainol Aurora 2. Now if it's 200USD, it's just around 150 more expensive than Aurora 2 laugh.gif Wait wait wait wub.gif
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 07:15 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(herojack41 @ Jun 30 2012, 01:47 PM)
what can i do when i run out of storage?

my music alone already 2gb....not yet include my full hd music video  smile.gif
My music alone already 6GB++ biggrin.gif Now on Galaxy Nexus, after installed some apps and gps etc, left 3.7GB. I think is ok. Got some HD MV.

QUOTE(altimi @ Jun 30 2012, 02:46 PM)
Even with 10mbps Maxis FTTH?
Erm... Maxis FTTH gives you mobility? I don't think so. With Malaysia 3G connection quality, it's really not that viable. Not to mention the quotas implemented. And not to mention if you're using DiGi. Even full bar signal still lag laugh.gif

QUOTE(djlah @ Jun 30 2012, 03:01 PM)
always use cloud when connected to wifi, but not for 3G.
on the go, pendrive is the best.

dropbox
BOX
sugarsync
GDrive
GMusic
all free, used all. more than enough.
The point here is... At home, do I still need those cloud storage when I can access my laptop and even play through dedicated sound system? Or stream on Nexus/Any android devices from laptop. I would not resort to cloud storage for storing media files. It's seriously not a better alternative to me. I am using them for documents, of course not those top secret documents. Just some university projects/assignments backup nod.gif
Anyway, 16GB is enough for me without storing movies. At least that's the case now on my GNex. Maybe use OTG if wanted to watch movie laugh.gif
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 09:14 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(djlah @ Jun 30 2012, 08:49 PM)
pity you, who asking use mobile at home? set rules auto backup phone to cloud when charging & wifi. lazy to wired.
using wifi other than home, problem?
Wifi other than home normally lag like shit laugh.gif This is Malaysia thumbup.gif
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 09:20 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(djlah @ Jun 30 2012, 09:18 PM)
strongly agreed  doh.gif on certain public free wifi
Conclusion is...
Cloud storage is not viable in Malaysia icon_idea.gif icon_idea.gif
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 09:52 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(djlah @ Jun 30 2012, 09:27 PM)
partially correct  whistling.gif  you cannot conclude 100% not at all but the most possible is say majority to be exact.
anyway, if looking for playing media mobilely, pendrive is your friend if the tablet/smaphone is lack of sd card support & support OTG funciton. alternatively, I still happy with cloud right now & I'm in Malaysia  tongue.gif
Based on my usage on GNex, I still got pretty healthy 3.7GB. Didn't really play those crazy games that require 1GB+- external data. Max also like 300~500MB. That means I still can install 5~7Games like that. And there's no rear camera. Means no need huge storage if I need to record Full HD video(I got Gnex to do that anyway). If want watch movie then OTG-> Pendrive should be the best. Else 3.7GB still can let install bunch of Angry Birds-alike game (in terms of size). Oh... I'm referring to 16GB version laugh.gif

Wait 6~8months only will buy. Hope at that time 8GB is non-existent and 16GB price drop like Gnex now. Seriously, 8GB is way too small considering that user accessible is only 5.7GB IINM. 16GB gives user 13.3GB which is pretty enough.
IwanAGP
post Jun 30 2012, 10:21 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(wcypierre @ Jun 30 2012, 09:51 PM)
add another condition: only if you have unifi or anything of similar/better speed  tongue.gif
The question now is... If you have UniFi, you should be at home. Then what's the point of cloud storage sweat.gif I believe those songs on your cloud are available on your PC/Laptop. Streaming from there or just play with those devices is easier...
IwanAGP
post Jul 1 2012, 12:56 AM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(wcypierre @ Jul 1 2012, 12:09 AM)
that statement is kinda wrong though. since there are many places who offer access to the internet(mcd, starbucks, chatime, etc) although slower(about 1/5 of VIP5's speed), but it's still quite okay though. I won't deny that if you wanna stream a 1gb video or download a 500mb file from your cloud storage, then forget bout it. It's not really gonna to happen(I would rather store a copy on my pendrive and use usb otg for that).
let's take a use case, I had an assignment that I had put at cloud storage and I'm at my university with only my nexus tablet. The due time is by 5pm and now its 4.30pm. My colleague has just went out to the printing shop to print the assignment so that we can pass up the assignment(he's bringing a pendrive). but damn, he just noticed that he didn't had a copy of the assignment, then he called me. Then, as I remembered that I had actually made a backup at the cloud storage(box.net, dropbox, skydrive, drive, anything), I downloaded the assignment, emailed it to his email, and he fetched the file by downloading it at the printing's shop's computer(considering that "most" printing shops have internet access), printed it, binded it, and passed it up before 5pm.

Of course, you may ask, why don't you give him access to your cloud storage? obviously, privacy and security reason. (silly but to emphasize that although there are solutions, but it may not be feasible)

My point is that there are always other ways to do it, but it may not be feasible due to certain reasons.

What I wanted to say is that the things are there for you to use, just that how you use it and is your way of using it is effective/appropriate is what that matters.
there will be cases where you had forgotten to bring your laptop and are only left with your nexus tablet right? Like what I had said above, otherwise, I can always usb otg with my pendrive and play it as well right?

my point: cloud can cover some usecase but it cannot cover every usecase and there will be always one or more than one usecase where using cloud 'may' not feasible(for example, storing your password on the cloud, what if the site was hacked and what will happen to your passwords?)
p/s: just stating my point, no offense btw.
Might be feasible for you but definitely not me. My uni wifi sucks to the max max max max even MAX is not enough to describe laugh.gif

Erm... If you've read enough, I did mention the feasibility of cloud storage for other uses. Just not for media files.

Btw, when I refer to wifi, I mean at home and that, I mean my laptop at home. It's not the matter that whether you bring your laptop with you. It's that your laptop 'SHOULD' be at home. If that's the case, I find it quite stupid to stream from Cloud at home

No offence but do read through some more posts I made before commenting icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh... And in my previous post, I did mention 'AT HOME'. So... I mean 'at home'. You get what I mean? I meant 'At Home'. Don't tell me your PC/Laptop is not at home. You forgot to bring it home? (Possible case but not for me. My laptop always stick on my table in my room).

Peace icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by IwanAGP: Jul 1 2012, 12:57 AM
IwanAGP
post Jul 1 2012, 09:00 AM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(doggydogg @ Jul 1 2012, 03:50 AM)
ok what... using cloud storage on my phone, tablet & pc.
throw song in phone, tablet & pc gets it almost instantly.
takes a pic, both other device gets it.
works flawlessly for me. using dropbox & dropsync pro on both android devices.
just dont use it to spam huge format stuff, otherwise, everything about cloud is possible.

kesian those android device makers in china xD
laugh.gif That sounds good. But it's creepy to upload pictures to cloud storage (for me). I know it's safe but I still have the 'weird feeling'. I still use Box for assignments only. 50GB hmm.gif but now haven't reach 100MB blush.gif
IwanAGP
post Jul 1 2012, 09:51 AM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(FuNks @ Jul 1 2012, 09:44 AM)
Bro, box need to upload manually right?
I love dropbox, can auto upload.Hehe
I really prefer to manage the things myself and control what I want it to be there. Not just throw everything there laugh.gif . At least I know where they are. And not all the times I want everything there. I share those uploaded folder with my team.

Whatever laugh.gif . Yes, Manual upload. Not much of hassle though. Can access through www.box.com which is quite convenient for me. Another thing is... Many apps (Document editing apps) now support box too. Not a big deal. Can use it like Google Doc (or Drive).

Anyone got a Nexus 7 yet? here in lowyat laugh.gif Any devs attended the IO is from Malaysia (unlikely). laugh.gif
IwanAGP
post Jul 1 2012, 12:34 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(gin&tonic @ Jul 1 2012, 11:57 AM)
I will be real happy with OTG compliance on Nexus7. Those dropbox/box/google drive will not be suitable for big files with our retarded internet speed. Low device memory storage is not a deal breaker for me and can be easily be offset by OTG, pricing and hardware. Being a Nexus is quite future proof with Jelly Bean now
to key lime pie and beyond. Just can't wait for local release.
nod.gif But still, I would at all time hope it's at least 16GB. Hope google drop the 8GB version and cut down 16GB version price ASAP brows.gif
IwanAGP
post Jul 1 2012, 01:32 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(Nels @ Jul 1 2012, 01:21 PM)
I have been using cloud storage since....god knows when. I've never had a problem streaming my songs/video using Digi RM68/month 3GB quota.

I have around 130GB worth of Musics that available via cloud using Audio Galaxy on my Android.

I have 3 TB worth of Videos that can be stream as easily as playing my music.

All just by using Digi - not even 1mb speed.

So I don't see the problem of using cloud service in Malaysia. Those who complain about malaysia sucky internet connection, is because they are overall sucky user themselves.

There are 3G supercharger script, 3G speed hack, 3G bandwidth monitor app that can give you a proper management in overall data usage and I have never ever reach my quota. My maximum quota was 75% (I even receive this as a msg from Digi)

My Digi speed is at 0.8mb-1mb  constant - with 3G supercharger script.

So...my advice is, be a true Android user and stop complaining.
Then you're the lucky digi user. In my campus, which I'm always in(Uni Student, either home or uni, no where else), I struggle to have signal. Seriously, no joke. DiGi covered whole area, just like 'purposely' left out my uni area. Possible to online in some places in my Uni BUT most of the time I see just 1bar or sometimes no bar. Connection time out is so normal to me. Getting 0.3mb is a miracle. 0.8mb is more than that. When I'm home, I got unifi, not a problem.

Anyway, you uploaded 3TB movies to cloud???? Or stream from your NAS/PC at home?

I'm on DiGi Smart 68 but RM48 per month.
Btw, I'm not much complaining about Android. It's really my DiGi coverage here. On the coverage map, it's really a circle without coverage. Even EDGE is having poor signal here. Now I'm considering to go for U-mobile. My friends are using, full signal, HSPA+ in campus
IwanAGP
post Jul 1 2012, 01:48 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(Nels @ Jul 1 2012, 01:42 PM)
I'm using VLC Direct to access my video via HTTP. There is no point in uploading your entire video files onto a different server so you can stream it on your phone. It is better to sync it online and access it from your pc immediately.

Have you tried 3G supercharger script? It maxed out your 3G connection and you can see a very high improvement on your 3G latency and speed. My Digi speed without this script are normally between 0.3-0.6mb. But after using supercharger script I will receive constant 0.8-1mb. Of course at the cost of having your battery drained very quickly. But you can always counter it by reducing your display brightness, your number of APP running, your CPU speed, your phone voltage, etc.

I have a umobile connection as well. Now I'm receiving a constant 7mb connection on my Android. I use it as backup connection if I want to stream a big junk of files on my mobile or hotspot for my other devices. So I pick the prepaid internet line where it cost me RM28/month for 500 mb of data. + free 100 minutes voice call to any line and I don't remember how many sms but it doesnt really matter. The reason why I choose this plan as backup because it has better speed then my 5mb Unifi and I just need to top up RM10 to receive 1GB quota any time for a validity up to 3 days.
Yea... I'm considering either the prepaid or postpaid

Prepaid
RM28 -- 100mins -- 30/50sms -- 500MB, can cancel subscription anytime. One month no need then no need to subscribe

Postpaid
RM28 -- 0 mins -- 300sms (100 U-mobile 200 Others) -- 1GB +0.25GB if auto debit, but cannot suka suka cancel when not needed. No contract though.

I should check out on the 3G supercharger script wink.gif

We're going off topic doh.gif
Nexus 7 still far away from Malaysia. Waiting... ... ...

This post has been edited by IwanAGP: Jul 1 2012, 01:50 PM
IwanAGP
post Jul 2 2012, 04:02 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(asil66 @ Jul 2 2012, 03:16 PM)
rclxms.gif Thanks so much for your info! But the "rooting" process seems complicated for me. Lots of tech terms that I dun understand. Is there any place that I can sent it to for rooting?
You better read and DIY. Or you ask ppl root for you. Prepare RM50 let people 'steal'. For me it's a steal laugh.gif

This post has been edited by IwanAGP: Jul 2 2012, 04:03 PM
IwanAGP
post Jul 2 2012, 11:47 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

Craving for arrival of AP set drool.gif
IwanAGP
post Jul 4 2012, 12:52 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(damned_dude @ Jul 4 2012, 12:49 PM)
Sorry I'm not referring to you. I understand in your part it was HopShopGo that made the transaction for you and no proxy involved.

I was referring to Mikelanding, he bought the Nexus 7 using a malaysian credit card and if I'm correct, you would have to get into the Google Play device website first right?
It just that I didn't know before that you can even pay through a secure transaction USING a proxy as maybe Google Checkout security can detect that you are indeed using a proxy and therefore the transaction is rejected.

I don't really know as I have never tried it before. Nvm, carry on.
Nope. Have no interest in bulk order. Just searching the cheapest way to get a Nexus 7 for myself aha.
There is someone though in our garage sale doing bulk and taking pre-orders. You can search around.
Will it be seriously cheaper? Unless you got someone to carry for you back from US laugh.gif
Else based on what I read here. It's like 215USD+60USD postage for 8GB version. That will be RM865 doh.gif
IwanAGP
post Jul 4 2012, 01:55 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(damned_dude @ Jul 4 2012, 01:36 PM)
60USD is the USPS Priority with insurance is it?

You guys think there will be a problem if just use cheap economy postage one?  tongue.gif

Aghh those 60USD hurts my head. Guyysss we need to bulk and no markup involved. Me so poorrrrr
I think need add another 6USD for insurance.

Was just playing with the calculator. The dimension and weight(i put 1kg) I simply insert on estimation

Attached Image

This post has been edited by IwanAGP: Jul 4 2012, 02:08 PM
IwanAGP
post Jul 5 2012, 10:46 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Jul 5 2012, 08:23 PM)
Normally when they ask means they are getting it in smile.gif probably they wan to know how many stock they want to take smile.gif cos before they ask for interest then few days or weeks later they start pre order liao..
hmm.gif Then? Bundle with a MiFi?
Or they just be the retailer here blush.gif
IwanAGP
post Jul 6 2012, 06:10 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(G-17 @ Jul 6 2012, 11:58 AM)
I'm also curious about the taxation issue. I ordered from the Australian Play store. I have an Australian address and credit card (my sister lives in that address currently). I'm not sure about the taxation, but I live in Singapore now (I'm still Malaysian though), and as far as I know, computing products don't get taxed here. Not sure about to Malaysia. Shouldn't have tax, but there's always the risk of some corrupt monkey working in customs making things difficult for you.

The thing that annoys me more is this;
user posted image

See the "Purchased from" address? I f#@kin live in the same country it's shipping from!! WTF, man!!
Maybe I should call that Asus SG phone number and find out if they can just deliver it straight to me here. They can keep the AU$19.99 shipping money, I just want it delivered faster and don't want to pay for the tablet's "return flight".
laugh.gif Just like Panasonic Eluga phone. It's MADE IN MALAYSIA. But forumer bring it in to sell as AP doh.gif

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0619sec    0.28    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:57 AM