Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ANDROID GAMES REVIEW THREAD (links @ 1st post), 9/11/2012 Total War, Spectral Souls

views

phantomash
post Apr 19 2012, 08:19 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Dungeon Village

user posted image

user posted image user posted image

You’ve got a town and the aim is to make it a 5 star city. The interface looks like World Cruise Story… or it looks like you’re building a town in SimCity (so isometric grid, and building placement etc). In classic Kairosoft style, the goal isn’t achieved just by erecting buildings, and you have to involve the special adventurers who come to visit. The little people who walk around are very important – this isn’t just building structures like in SimCity. Without this clear distinction you’d actually think this game is absolutely awful!

As with all of these Kairo story games, there’s a kind of symbiotic loop between different actions and events. This one has a particularly confusing loop which we’ll briefly touch upon now: You have a star rating, and different star grades are achieved by meeting town/city criteria. Generally, the star requirements are linked to popularity, income, number of houses, quests, and events. Adventurers are indirectly linked to all of these factors. I shan’t go into more now as it really is quite involved!

To sum it up, there’s a method and flow which the player needs to feel out and understand. It’s not entirely obvious and that’s why this game is fantastic for those people who like solving intricate puzzles.

Regardless of how you play, developing an effective strategy will be largely a matter of trial and error, because Dungeon Village doesn't do a great job of explaining itself. It's not brain surgery and a very basic set of instructions is built into the game, but any detailed questions, like how to assign specific adventurers to a quest (as far as I can tell, you can't) or the differences between a Sparkee and a Maskoro (all the "monsters" in the game are distressingly cute, and polite, too), are likely to go unanswered.
But that's okay, because figuring it out is half the fun and Dungeon Village isn't the sort of game that will punish you for failing to grasp things right away. You're just as well off to jump in, put the pedal to the metal and flip back to the instructions if and when you need them. You probably won't; remember when I said I was going to check it out when I first started the game? I never did. I couldn't stop playing.

PS. Do yourself a favor and check out every other Kairasoft games.

Play Store

This post has been edited by phantomash: Apr 19 2012, 08:23 PM
phantomash
post May 7 2012, 05:08 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Radiant Defense

user posted image

You assume the role of a grizzled space commander who has to prevent marauding aliens from invading our galaxy. Each level features a space station network which must be negotiated by the enemy.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Full review

Google Play download link

This post has been edited by phantomash: May 7 2012, 05:22 PM
phantomash
post May 7 2012, 05:21 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Crash Course 3D: ICE

user posted image

Crash Course 3D is a 3D android game which is very interesting. This game is like fighting with asteroids around a planet. This really entertains you very much . This is an optimized version of armv6 devices(low end devices) and actually available in GOOGLE PLAY for high end devices.

Full review

This post has been edited by phantomash: May 7 2012, 05:30 PM
phantomash
post May 7 2012, 05:30 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Swords and Soldier

user posted image

At first glance, Swords and Soldiers looks like a kids game, and after you play the first few missions, you’ll probably still be thinking as much. However, the more you delve into the game, the less you think like this. This is a game you can boot up to play for a couple of minutes, but I played it for 2 hours solid and that’s the best thing about it. You can get hopelessly lost in challenge modes or the campaign, despite it having one of the most preposterous stories, another reason why people may think that this might be kids game.

Full review

phantomash
post May 8 2012, 11:02 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

QUOTE(Baronic @ May 7 2012, 09:09 PM)
lol cant link to roms. smile.gif i love swordcraft. U gotta check that game out. Then there's Fire Emblem series too. If you love roguelike google for POWDER GBA its a free awesome roguelike game

@phantomash wow swords and soldiers! i rmemeber that on ios didnt know it was on droid. nice find!
no problem, isn't this what the thread is all about, helping our forum members discovering good games tongue.gif

QUOTE(syabilng @ May 8 2012, 07:27 AM)
Loving this one bro. Thanks! smile.gif
I'm glad my post helped happy.gif

QUOTE(ZRong223 @ May 8 2012, 06:23 PM)
Crash Course 3D: ICE
The best free game I have ever played. Thanks!! biggrin.gif
Also, no ads!
yup its really fun

again, glad my post helped, appreciate it happy.gif
phantomash
post May 8 2012, 11:13 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Cytus

user posted image

Cytus is a new music and rhythm game from Rayark. It’s well done, with fun mechanics, good songs (although that’s quite subjective), and nice visuals. All in all it’s a great game and a worthy addition to the collection of any music game fan.

Full review

This post has been edited by phantomash: May 8 2012, 11:39 PM
phantomash
post May 8 2012, 11:22 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Snuggle Truck

user posted image

Snuggle Truck is a very smooth game, which looks great and gives you loads of levels to play with. The game has a sense of humor which you can sense in the complete presentation of the game. The game is already more than a year old, but the gameplay still is rock solid. We definitely encourage you to get this game, you won’t regret it.

Full review

This post has been edited by phantomash: May 8 2012, 11:29 PM
phantomash
post May 8 2012, 11:29 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Battleloot Adventure

user posted image

Fans of turn-based RPG’s? If you are, you may have noticed the genre could definitely use better representation in the Market. The first thing that stands out with this title are its gorgeous, high-definition “cartoony” graphics, that are a mixture of something like Battleheart and Castle Crashers.

Full review

phantomash
post May 8 2012, 11:34 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Running Fred

user posted image

This is a tilt based movement game, you’ll want to tilt left-to-right to gather coins. Coins allow you unlock new skills like double jump, wall grip, wall bounce, magnet, life slot and chicken flap. You’ll use these to traverse the different levels. Also these coins unlock different levels and Avatar skins.

Full review

This post has been edited by phantomash: May 8 2012, 11:35 PM
phantomash
post Jun 1 2012, 08:33 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Shoot the Zombirds

user posted image

Shoot the Zombirds is uncomplicated and fun and easy to play, despite some small problems with hit detection. It won’t keep you occupied for long, but it still feels good to meet objectives and increase your score multiplier. And we won’t even describe the thrill of taking down four fat birds with one arrow. You can try that for yourself.

Full review

phantomash
post Jun 1 2012, 08:40 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Zombie Ace

user posted image

I played Zombie Ace for about an hour and decided it was home screen worthy. While I wish I could get rid of the various ways the game wants to sell me the brains, it’s cooked into the game pretty well and could be much worse. The complexity added to the gameplay is a much-needed change for the genre as well. I think anyone would be well rewarded for checking it out.

Full review

This post has been edited by phantomash: Jun 1 2012, 08:45 PM
phantomash
post Jun 1 2012, 08:46 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Castle Master 3D

user posted image

Castle Master 3D by Alpha Cloud shows the new combination between “action-rpg” and “tactics-strategy” game. The game will start on the hero creation screen (like other RPG games). It seems that the first version only allow you to give the name of the hero. After the hero is named, you will brought to the first battle in Gaia city which will be your first kingdom. In this fight, you don’t need to do anything since your army is so Strong! After breaking the city gate, Gaia will be yours.

Full review

phantomash
post Jun 1 2012, 08:48 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Mobbles

user posted image

If you like having a virtual pet, this game is for you.

Titled Mobbles and released for both iOS and Android platforms, the game is a free location-based, augmented reality app featuring the mysterious “Mobbles,” wild virtual creatures that can only be seen through smartphone and tablet screens. The game is launching with more than 50 different Mobbles found in real locations all over the world and will be updated with new creatures every week. Throw in some Tamagotchi elements such as taking care of your Mobbles and leveling them up and the ability to trade them with friends, you get a complete game.

phantomash
post Jun 9 2012, 12:26 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Monster Ate My Condo

user posted image
Monsters Ate My Condo is a puzzle action game full of crazy action with even crazier colors and gameplay.
Monsters have taken to the city to go on a rampage, and the only way to keep them from destroying everything in sight is to continuously build and design residential high rises for them to devour.

Google Play

This post has been edited by phantomash: Jun 9 2012, 12:27 PM
phantomash
post Jun 11 2012, 04:16 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Sentinel 3: Homeworld

user posted image

The biggest installment of the award winning Sentinel sci-fi tower defense series – is finally here on Android! Take the fight to the alien homeworld and unleash a massive arsenal of weaponry & get up close and personal on the battlefield in your power armor to execute devastating attacks and support your defenses!

This is your basic tower defense type game with a space age theme. There are 3 modes to choose from. You control the action with your “Commander” robot. You are against multiple attackers with different powers and resistances so you have to plan your defense to keep from getting overrun.

Sentinel 3 isn’t the type game you’ll finish in a day or two and never play again. With all the levels and modes, I can see getting at least a good week of casual play out of it.

Google Play

This post has been edited by phantomash: Jun 11 2012, 04:20 PM
phantomash
post Jun 14 2012, 06:17 AM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Monster Shooter

user posted image

Monster Shooter is a blindingly phenomenal 2D shooter where absolute annihilation is the name of the game. Graphics and sound are pretty flawless and with over 30 levels I’d be hard pushed to name a better free game. Definitely give this liberal dose of arcade-heaven a go and before you know it, you’ll be happily knee-deep in lumpy alien remains.

Full review

Google Play

This post has been edited by phantomash: Jun 14 2012, 06:27 AM
phantomash
post Jun 14 2012, 06:27 AM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Xelorians

user posted image

Xelorians is an awesome shoot’em up inspired by arcade console games of the 90s. Your goal is to blast Xelorian invaders, dodge enemy fire, collect powerups while scoring the highest score possibly to complete the mission.

Google Play

phantomash
post Jun 14 2012, 06:31 AM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

100 Floors

user posted image

At first I thought it was some weird app that showed 100 doors, but once I realized it's actually a puzzle game that utilizes not just the screen but also the phone's sensors, things became a lot more interesting. The game is relatively simple, but gets tricky pretty fast.

Advance to the next floor by solving the puzzle!
40 levels of puzzles are waiting to be solved! More levels on the way.

Google Play

phantomash
post Jun 26 2012, 12:55 AM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

Project 83113

user posted image

Project 83113 has a unique visual flare and the solid controls to make everyone take note. Project 83113 follows the exploits of Belle, the last hope for victory against the machines. It turns out the secret to defeating a race of evil machines is guns - lots and lots of guns.

The game isn't about precision like many platformer titles. Instead you use a system of swipes to control Belle's movement, and a lot of it is on autopilot. That's a very low-bandwidth activity, which frees up your brain to tap clusters of enemies to unleash devastating (but pretty) energy blasts. The game gets faster as time goes on, and there are various weapon upgrades that make the action all the more impressive.

Full Review
Google Play

phantomash
post Jun 26 2012, 02:05 PM

Not a Fanboy
4,282 posts

QUOTE(MAGatron @ Jun 26 2012, 12:32 PM)
nice game there... rclxms.gif
yup I love playing it too tongue.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version