Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

QoS/Bandwidth Control, <cleanup> Wanna shape your traffic ?

views

TSJoshua_0718
post Nov 30 2005, 10:38 PM, updated 9y ago

**Keep Walking 不停地走**
8,908 posts

Dear All,

I have merged few topics into one topic to make the forum neat thus easier to search.

Thank you

My housemate keep on downloading from bitcomet, making me and another housemate very hard to surf the net  mad.gif

I am using Aztech ADSL 2/2+ Ethernet Bridge/Router (DSL 600E) (given by telekom, have set into router)
http://www.aztech.com/DSL-600E.htm

I have tried using bandwidth controller but I do not really know how to use. I do not know how to use the Qos setting also. Can any1 teach? Or teach me to divide the bandwidth or set the idiot fella to lower his rate.  notworthy.gif

Any advice? Plz. Thanks

This post has been edited by prasys: Jan 13 2006, 01:43 PM
kando
post Dec 5 2005, 03:50 AM

Getting Started
Validating
292 posts

My roommate wanna share my Streamyx. So i'm charging him RM40 a month, with terms & conditions.

1. No P2P!!
2. No 24Hr online.

I'm going to buy a wireless router (cos i don't want to pull those damn lines). So now the question is:

1. How do I restrict him to use P2P? Can I do some tricks in the Port Forwarding?
2. How to divide/limit the bandwidth? (sorry, the old thread is gone)

dragna
post Dec 5 2005, 06:42 AM

5,248 posts

If you don't intend to allow him for those purposes i suggest you better not share the line since he's paying a fair price for the line too so he's entitled to do what he wants with it. And whats this about no 24Hr online?
Don't bring it up here acting all selfish.
Icehart
post Dec 5 2005, 09:45 AM

All Stars
14,304 posts

if i were your roomate, i'll pay another 26 bucks for those...with condition that there is 2 telephone line sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Icehart: Dec 5 2005, 09:45 AM
zerg55
post Dec 5 2005, 10:08 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

No 24hours? Then what is the purpose of unlimited access package you subscribe?

Yeah....i agree with Dragna, u are selfish...lol
dotn3t
post Dec 5 2005, 10:24 AM

Casual
472 posts

I'm not sure if you can block via ports....because I think you can specify what different ports to use for certain p2p softwares.

OT agree, he is selfish!!! No 24 hrs? lol

uNeVErwaLkaloNe
post Dec 5 2005, 10:44 AM

God Sniffing!!!
1,889 posts

i dont think u can restrict him from using p2p, but u can set rules with him

i can understand no 24hrs p2p, wht tht kind of shit no 24hr on9.....
OKLY
post Dec 5 2005, 11:04 AM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

Yes if he does not know how to change ports, you can start to block a range of port from the router... If his smart, he'll change the port.. If his not, he'll complain to you... laugh.gif
freako
post Dec 5 2005, 11:54 AM

Enthusiast
885 posts

let him P2P la..
juz QoS in ur router... and control the bandwidth for u both...
kando
post Dec 5 2005, 07:36 PM

Getting Started
Validating
292 posts

First of all, i really appreciate those who's trying to help. but for the rest, i don't post a thread for your lecture ok?

First of all, my housemate couldn't afford to subscribe a new line because of the initial activation and installation fees. He begged me to share the line with him coz he said he just want to sometimes surf the net and chat with msn, and he promised that he's not going to use p2p. So, I'm kind enough to share my bandwidth to him. we're not staying in the same room, so who knows if he could end up using p2p software to rape my bandwidth? I don't really know him well ok?

Charging him RM40 a month, i have to purposely go and buy a wireless router and share the line, i paid all the installation and activation, and i have to pay RM88+RM25 every month, wasn't that fair enough? If he wants to use p2p or so called 'fair' bandwidth, he can always go ahead and install a line by himself.

Last but not least, why do you want a 24hr online if you're not using p2p? do u really need to be online while you're sleeping???

This post has been edited by kando: Dec 5 2005, 08:18 PM
prasys
post Dec 5 2005, 07:38 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

then you should explain the problem to us

QoS him up...easier , just put BT disable , if you know how to set iptables rule..then okay..then assign him static DHCP..meaning that even he wants to change his IP..he still gets the same one...which is even better !

WRT54G...!
kando
post Dec 5 2005, 07:55 PM

Getting Started
Validating
292 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Dec 5 2005, 07:38 PM)
then you should explain the problem to us

QoS him up...easier , just put BT disable , if you know how to set iptables rule..then okay..then assign him static DHCP..meaning that even he wants to change his IP..he still gets the same one...which is even better !

WRT54G...!
Thanks for your help pal! you're always the one who rulez this forum! thumbup.gif

excuse my stupidity, please spend another 1 minute to answer my stupid question, coz i'm really new in networking:

1. QoS is a software or a method?
2. For the iptables rule, i just activate DHCP and assign him a dynamic IP that's all?
3. WRT54G !! means you're recommending this model? u know how much is the street price? some said linksys is the best, issit true?

prasys
post Dec 5 2005, 07:59 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

Everyone rocks.....Not me , the whole LYN forums..that what makes it great..even you

1. QoS is found in routers..its method to control bandwidth

2. Iptables , u can drop all the packets , and the connections (e.g if he tries to connect more then 10 connections in a certain port , bam..the connection drops..meaing that his bt will stuck at 0kb/s..if he connects more then 10 connections , but if he connects 1..he might able to download it at a very slow speed). assign him static DHCP..meaning that , if he asks for a new IP..the router will give him the same one..over and over again and you can block him from having a new IP....meaning that he can't bt

3. Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT..does this job well..RM 225...the last price..Its sorta true
OKLY
post Dec 5 2005, 08:01 PM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

1. QoS is a method... Which shapes things up for the packets... This feature would be in Linksys WRT54G router.

2. Not dynamic IP but static IP..

3. Yes.. Recommended model. Priced around RM245 but was RM225 during PC Fair. Its hard to say who's best but this Linksys is value for money considering the features..
kando
post Jan 9 2006, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
Validating
292 posts

ok. I've bought the WRT54G. and guess what, it's version 5.... sad.gif

QoS doesn't works for me. he's using wireless and i can only control the bandwidth for wired port.

how bout iptable? can the original linksys software do the job? how?
porkchop
post Jan 10 2006, 10:27 AM

Lalala Life's Sweet
6,626 posts

erm 24hour thing, u can put restriction on the specific "ip" (assigned to your fren) u cna set like at everyday 12am his connection will cut off..........its available in the netgear "192.168.0.1" under (schedule)....
p1p
post Jan 10 2006, 12:12 PM

Enthusiast
706 posts

I'm on the 512 / rm66 package. Whenever I launch my BitComet, my Firefox won't work AT ALL. The page not found error will pop up. I don't think its the bandwidth issue that's causing the problem. My torrents are barely sucking 10-15KB/s. If I turn off BitComet, I can do speedtest and get 50KB/s.

I suspect that BitComet is launching too many concurrent connections. I remember somewhere that WinXP has maximum connections at 200.

How do I limit my BT client to how many connections to connect to (in Azureus & BitComet since I use both!)

Oh, I'm using Win2k, btw...
porkchop
post Jan 10 2006, 12:13 PM

Lalala Life's Sweet
6,626 posts

i think u have problem with port forawarding, have u read on the topic provided about port forwarding?
p1p
post Jan 10 2006, 12:18 PM

Enthusiast
706 posts

I got the ports forwarded correctly. BitComet is not sucking all the bandwidth, but I cannot surf.

I found a similar thread here.. but no REAL solution.
shanelai
post Jan 10 2006, 01:01 PM

MAyd@y M@ydAy!
1,820 posts

may be u try this software...
last time face the same problem as u
a forumer introduce me this
can work..

16 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0208sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled