Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages « < 103 104 105 106 107 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Betta splendens Fighting Fish Club! v4, Beauty in Ferocity!

views

skumara
post Jun 20 2018, 01:39 PM

Getting Started
253 posts

can beta fish live together in a tank with guppy and catfish?
TimeWalker
post Aug 10 2018, 03:10 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(skumara @ Jun 20 2018, 01:39 PM)
can beta fish live together in a tank with guppy and catfish?
don't think so... had my guppy and betta in one aquarium and the betta keep chasing the guppy
sicklad77
post Aug 27 2018, 11:32 AM

On my way
524 posts

Can Betty stays with barbs??
nova80
post Oct 6 2018, 09:07 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

Hello guys, where can I buy white/platinum half moon/full moon betta? I went pudu last week, but it seems mostly pk selling only...
takadanicklagi
post Oct 26 2018, 06:46 AM

Getting Started
124 posts

Guys. Need help. My betta fish is not doing well.. he have not eaten much for the last 2 week. In fac e have not eaten at all. Also he look very weak and not as active anymore.

The only thing I did was to change the water. Other than that nothing extraordinary happened.
viper88
post Oct 31 2018, 12:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,359 posts

Put in daun ketapang

http://nokgeroh.com/gambar-daun-ketapang-s...baca-nok-geroh/

QUOTE(takadanicklagi @ Oct 26 2018, 06:46 AM)
Guys. Need help. My betta fish is not doing well.. he have not eaten much for the last 2 week. In fac e have not eaten at all. Also he look very weak and not as active anymore.

The only thing I did was to change the water.  Other than  that nothing extraordinary happened.
friedmihun
post Dec 13 2018, 08:37 AM

0 posts

hi guys wanna ask, new betta owner here. i have a few qs..

1) what does it mean if my betta swims with his fins close to his body? sorry i dont know what type of betta he is. i just got him 12 days ago. previously he looks really beautiful swimming with all his tail and fins opened up in the fish shop, but now it seems closed. was wondering is this a sign of stress or sickness.

2) he recently has a problem floating properly, he swims vertically and that really scares me. i read up and think he has swim bladder disease. is this dangerous? will he recover from this and usually how long will he be normal again? previously i fed him with bettaX pellets from the pet shop: i followed the instruction of 7 pellets, twice daily...however i read up and saw people recommending to only feed 2-3 pellet twice a day. Am i overfeeding him? and why would the betta pellet instruction says to give 7 huhu.. i'm worried that i might kill him

3) i recently bought a larger tank for him, an upgrade from a small jar, however he doesnt seem to really like it. he only stays in the upper right and left corner and sometimes darts back and forth. he doesnt seem to explore his tank. why is that?

4) i was thinking of incorporating dried bloodworms flakes to his diet, how frequent should i feed him these?

sorry for the many qs, just worried for my betta - he doesnt seem too active and happy
junyang96
post Dec 13 2018, 11:22 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(friedmihun @ Dec 13 2018, 08:37 AM)

1) what does it mean if my betta swims with his fins close to his body? sorry i dont know what type of betta he is. i just got him 12 days ago. previously he looks really beautiful swimming with all his tail and fins opened up in the fish shop, but now it seems closed. was wondering is this a sign of stress or sickness.

2) he recently has a problem floating properly, he swims vertically and that really scares me. i read up and think he has swim bladder disease. is this dangerous? will he recover from this and usually how long will he be normal again? previously i fed him with bettaX pellets from the pet shop: i followed the instruction of 7 pellets, twice daily...however i read up and saw people recommending to only feed 2-3 pellet twice a day. Am i overfeeding him? and why would the betta pellet instruction says to give 7 huhu.. i'm worried that i might kill him

3) i recently bought a larger tank for him, an upgrade from a small jar, however he doesnt seem to really like it. he only stays in the upper right and left corner and sometimes darts back and forth. he doesnt seem to explore his tank. why is that?

4) i was thinking of incorporating dried bloodworms flakes to his diet, how frequent should i feed him these?

sorry for the many qs, just worried for my betta - he doesnt seem too active and happy
Hi there,

I'm also a new onwer of a betta plakat 2 months ago. It seems your fish is most likely sick probably from the bad water quality of your tank. What is the size of your tank? Keeping a betta in a bowl is really bad your fish may survive but it will not thrive. Most people recommend 2.5 gallons and above (mine is 5 gallon with filter).

It is important to maintain your water quality so that they are not easily sick. The larger your tank is the more stable your water quality is. Is your tank filtered and cycled? If not I would recommend you to google how to cycle a fish tank. Here's a video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48V6iim5Sww
The general rule to begin cycling your tank is frequent water changes and slowly reducing the amount as time passes so that the beneficial bacteria in your tank can grow. The process can be painfully long but if you can't wait then try getting old water from your friends or aquarium shops or even better if they have old filters because the good bacteria is mostly concentrated there. I would also recommend adding some Indian Almond Leaves aka Daun Ketapang which is said to be able to cure diseases and keep your betta healthy, breeders always use them! If you wouldn't mind spending more then try to find some medicine for your fish too but I didn't have any experience of using them.

Betta has a small stomach almost the size of its eye. I would generally recommend feeding 5 pellets once everyday or feeding not more than it can finish in one minute. Live food is definitely healthier than pellets but I wouldn't think it is compulsory unless you intend to breed.

Hope this helps

victorsoo
post Dec 14 2018, 10:47 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(friedmihun @ Dec 13 2018, 08:37 AM)

Hi friedmihun,

If you have photo(s) of your tank with your betta it might help the other sifus here in giving you some advice.

1. Your observation seems correct - he could be stressed or sick. How big is your tank? Did you change water for him recently? Sometimes water changes can stress them out due to our tap water conditions so people do recommend using aged water and/or add anti-chlorine. If your fish is sick, people sometimes add some aquarium salt for healing purposes.

2. If it's really a swim bladder disease, it could be caused by overfeeding. Again, clean water is essential in his recovery. Also maybe try to not feed him or a day or two after a water change to see if his condition improves.

3. If he's not feeling well, he won't want to explore. Wait till he recovers first and then observe his behaviour.

4. I used dried bloodworms before. My previous bettas loved them. I guess you could alternate between the pellets and the bloodworms if you feed it twice a day.

I only have limited knowledge on bettas as I only keep them on and off. But perhaps try the basic water change first and see how things go. Hopefully the sifus here have better advice for you.

Good luck!
friedmihun
post Dec 14 2018, 06:36 PM

0 posts

Hi junyang96 victorsoo

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate it so much that you both took the time to explain to a newbie like me.

Unfortunately, my Fighter died this morning sad.gif

3 days ago, i saw something that look like white specks at his belly area. I thought it was fungus. I then proceeded to order some ketapang leaves in hope that this will cure him. Also i thought it would be better for the water condition. Btw, i have just a basic aquarium 5litres capacity. No filter, no thermostat, no plants. Only a wood and some gravel as i have just started to buy him last 2 weeks ago. I did not have a cycled tank as i didnt know what that was. I used normal tap water and add antichlorine and let it rest for half an hour before changing. I do daily water change about 50%. I thought my water looked pretty clean because of the daily change.

It was not until late last night i wanted to take a closer look at the white patch and proceeded to take a photo of him with flash. To my horror, i saw that he had gold specks on his face and body instead of white specks. It was truly difficult to see with the naked eye unless u shine a torch or take a flash photograph of him. I quickly googled and found out he has Velvet disease aka gold rust disease. That explains why he was swimming with his fins closed, low mood, swims funny: always darting back and forth, and had poor appetite. Also i saw just yesterday his fins was starting to rot. As he swam around, i saw a chunk of his fin fell out T___T
Does this mean he has velvet and fin rot together? T______T

I tried to find meds to cure velvet but couldn't so i planned to go search some from LFS. However it was too late.

I was wondering though:

1) is my water change routine ok? Am i doing anything wrong? I don't have a thermostat but i thought room temp water was fine, no? >.<

2) since velvet is caused by parasites, does this mean normal tap water has them? where does it come from? Or did the shop sell me a sick betta? He looked fine to me when i bought him though

3) where do i find velvet disease meds here in kl? I saw that malachite green or copper sulfate is good but i dont see anyone selling here online. Maybe anyone can give me the names and location to buy some?

4) can a betta have 2 coexisting diseases together, eg: fin rot and betta. If so, can we mix both meds together and pour in the tank? Or will it kill the fish faster.

5) instead of aquarium salt, can i use table salt. And how much to add to 2.5L of water?

Sorry for my lengthy post and many questions. I just wanted to let new owners know that velvet is fatal and often missed by amateurs like me. So use a torch to check your betta frequently huhu. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from u guys out there. I'll attach some before and after pics below. Could you guys tell me did he have fin rot when i bought him?

This post has been edited by friedmihun: Aug 17 2020, 02:08 AM
victorsoo
post Dec 17 2018, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(friedmihun @ Dec 14 2018, 06:36 PM)
Hi junyang96 victorsoo

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate it so much that you both took the time to explain to a newbie like me.

Unfortunately,  my Fighter died this morning sad.gif

3 days ago, i saw something that look like white specks at his belly area. I thought it was fungus. I then proceeded to order some ketapang leaves in hope that this will cure him. Also i thought it would be better for the water condition. Btw, i have just a basic aquarium 5litres capacity.  No filter, no thermostat,  no plants. Only a wood and some gravel as i have just started to buy him last 2 weeks ago. I did not have a cycled tank as i didnt know what that was. I used normal tap water and add antichlorine and let it rest for half an hour before changing. I do daily water change about 50%. I thought my water looked pretty clean because of the daily change.

It was not until late last night i wanted to take a closer look at the white patch and proceeded to take a photo of him with flash. To my horror, i saw that he had gold specks on his face and body instead of white specks. It was truly difficult to see with the naked eye unless u shine a torch or take a flash photograph of him. I quickly googled and found out he has Velvet disease aka gold rust disease. That explains why he was swimming with his fins closed, low mood, swims funny: always darting back and forth, and had poor appetite. Also i saw just yesterday his fins was starting to rot. As he swam around, i saw a chunk of his fin fell out T___T
Does this mean he has velvet and fin rot together? T______T

I tried to find meds to cure velvet but couldn't so i planned to go search some from LFS. However it was too late.

I was wondering though:

1) is my water change routine ok? Am i doing anything wrong? I don't have a thermostat but i thought room temp water was fine, no? >.<

2) since velvet is caused by parasites, does this mean normal tap water has them? where does it come from? Or did the shop sell me a sick betta? He looked fine to me when i bought him though

3) where do i find velvet disease meds here in kl? I saw that malachite green or copper sulfate is good but i dont see anyone selling here online. Maybe anyone can give me the names and location to buy some?

4) can a betta have 2 coexisting diseases together,  eg: fin rot and betta. If so, can we mix both meds together and pour in the tank? Or will it kill the fish faster.

5) instead of aquarium salt, can i use table salt. And how much to add to 2.5L of water?

Sorry for my lengthy post and many questions. I just wanted to let new owners know that velvet is fatal and often missed by amateurs like me. So use a torch to check your betta frequently huhu. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from u guys out there. I'll attach some before and after pics below. Could you guys tell me did he have fin rot when i bought him?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Hello friedmihun

Sorry to know about your betta. bye.gif
It's a learning process so you'll know what you did wrong and do better next time.

Okay, I see you got a halfmoon doubletail betta. The thing about these fancy tail bettas is that they are susceptible to diseases because they go through a lot of inbreeding to get that fancy tail. So to take care of these fancy tail bettas you'll need to really take extra care in its water parameters and maintenance.

Personally I prefer plakats which are very hardy and not susceptible to disease. You might want to consider a plakat for your next betta. Occasionally I rescue poor veiltails from LFS too if I have an empty spare tank. biggrin.gif Veiltails are damn hardy too.

To answer your questions:
1. Your daily water change routine is fine to start with and you don't need a thermostat. Once your tank is cycled, you actually don't have to change your water that often. Since your betta just died, do a thorough clean of the tank, put the gravel back, fill it with water and let it sit for a few days. Also, if you want to cycle your tank quickly, I recommend you buy a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle (some LFS sell them). It really helps when starting up a new tank and you can use it for regular maintenance too when you change water.

user posted image

That piece of wood in the tank, is that newly bought as well? New wood will leech tannins into the water. I don't know if they are harmful to bettas but perhaps you should remove it until your tank is properly cycled.

2. Yeah, sometimes the betta might be carrying the virus and maybe poor water conditions triggered it. Hard to tell and I'm not an expert on this. biggrin.gif

3. Sorry, can't help you with this one. Actually never encountered velvet disease before.

4. Yes, multiple diseases can set in when the fish is sick. The fin rot was probably caused by the velvet disease. Again, I'm not sure if you can mix medicines together. Maybe someone else can help you here.

5. You only use aquarium salt to treat diseases. If your fish is fine, then you shouldn't use it. For 2.5 litres, I think you only need very little - maybe 1/4 teaspoon? Table salt contains additives so it's not recommended for aquarium fish.

You can start cycling your tank again from today and by the weekend you can go look for a new betta. Haha.
friedmihun
post Dec 18 2018, 09:34 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(victorsoo @ Dec 17 2018, 11:03 AM)
Hello friedmihun

Sorry to know about your betta.  bye.gif
It's a learning process so you'll know what you did wrong and do better next time.

Okay, I see you got a halfmoon doubletail betta. The thing about these fancy tail bettas is that they are susceptible to diseases because they go through a lot of inbreeding to get that fancy tail. So to take care of these fancy tail bettas you'll need to really take extra care in its water parameters and maintenance.

Personally I prefer plakats which are very hardy and not susceptible to disease. You might want to consider a plakat for your next betta. Occasionally I rescue poor veiltails from LFS too if I have an empty spare tank.  biggrin.gif  Veiltails are damn hardy too.

To answer your questions:
1. Your daily water change routine is fine to start with and you don't need a thermostat. Once your tank is cycled, you actually don't have to change your water that often. Since your betta just died, do a thorough clean of the tank, put the gravel back, fill it with water and let it sit for a few days. Also, if you want to cycle your tank quickly, I recommend you buy a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle (some LFS sell them). It really helps when starting up a new tank and you can use it for regular maintenance too when you change water.

user posted image

That piece of wood in the tank, is that newly bought as well? New wood will leech tannins into the water. I don't know if they are harmful to bettas but perhaps you should remove it until your tank is properly cycled.

2. Yeah, sometimes the betta might be carrying the virus and maybe poor water conditions triggered it. Hard to tell and I'm not an expert on this.  biggrin.gif

3. Sorry, can't help you with this one. Actually never encountered velvet disease before.

4. Yes, multiple diseases can set in when the fish is sick. The fin rot was probably caused by the velvet disease. Again, I'm not sure if you can mix medicines together. Maybe someone else can help you here.

5. You only use aquarium salt to treat diseases. If your fish is fine, then you shouldn't use it. For 2.5 litres, I think you only need very little - maybe 1/4 teaspoon? Table salt contains additives so it's not recommended for aquarium fish.

You can start cycling your tank again from today and by the weekend you can go look for a new betta. Haha.
Hi victorsoo, thank you for your reply smile.gif

Yes i've learned so much and from my first betta's passing, I hope I'll do better next time.
I've already cleaned my tank and cycled it. Yes that is a new wood bought from a LFS. I pre-soaked it before i put it into my tank previously, so i hope that's fine.

I've finally found a medication for velvet called "Ocean free- Super slime, white spot & Velvet away". Haven't personally used it yet as my betta has just passed, but good to know/keep an emergency kit around in case my future betta is sick sweat.gif sweat.gif

Yeah I'll prolly get another betta soon and I hope this time its gonna be alright. I kinda like halfmoons with their fancy tails but i guess amateurs like me should try plakats as you have suggested biggrin.gif

Will post a pic here once i get a new betta smile.gif
friedmihun
post Dec 24 2018, 03:29 PM

0 posts

Bought a new betta dumbo ear type. He's the total opposite of the first one. Really active and seems happy exploring his tank. I checked with torch light to look for gold rust which luckily i didn't find any. I did water change as the same and added indian almond leaves. I think he seems to like it. Came home one day and saw that he made a bubble nest 😁 Now I'm currently feeding him some bloodworm flakes and pellets, however the flakes does leave an oily residue at the surface of the water and my tank does not have a filter. Was wondering are the flakes recommended? It says it contains some salmon oil

This post has been edited by friedmihun: Aug 17 2020, 02:09 AM
victorsoo
post Dec 26 2018, 02:30 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(friedmihun @ Dec 24 2018, 03:29 PM)
Bought a new betta dumbo ear type. He's the total opposite of the first one. Really active and seems happy exploring his tank. I checked with torch light to look for gold rust which luckily i didn't find any. I did water change as the same and added indian almond leaves. I think he seems to like it. Came home one day and saw that he made a bubble nest 😁 Now I'm currently feeding him some bloodworm flakes and pellets, however the flakes does leave an oily residue at the surface of the water and my tank does not have a filter. Was wondering are the flakes recommended? It says it contains some salmon oil

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
Good looking betta you got there. rclxms.gif

For the oil film, just use a cup and scoop the layer of oil off. If your betta enjoys eating it, no reason why it's not recommended to feed it. biggrin.gif
friedmihun
post Dec 27 2018, 07:04 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(victorsoo @ Dec 26 2018, 02:30 PM)
Good looking betta you got there.  rclxms.gif

For the oil film, just use a cup and scoop the layer of oil off. If your betta enjoys eating it, no reason why it's not recommended to feed it.  biggrin.gif
Thanks victorsoo biggrin.gif
He's really quite happy and active ahaha smile.gif
Alright I'll continue giving him the flakes..
You didn't get a betta yourself?
K-o-E
post Dec 28 2018, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

Got a (i dunno-what-type-is-it) betta and placed it in a semi planted tank; sharing with couple of tetras and miniature algae eaters. So far it is doing well. The betta really hates shrimps tho.

user posted image
friedmihun
post Dec 30 2018, 10:53 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(K-o-E @ Dec 28 2018, 04:28 PM)
Got a (i dunno-what-type-is-it) betta and placed it in a semi planted tank; sharing with couple of tetras and miniature algae eaters. So far it is doing well. The betta really hates shrimps tho.

user posted image
That looks like a marble betta. Not sure if I'm correct.
Very pretty though biggrin.gif
Read that they can change their colours once in awhile ..
AlittleCb
post Dec 31 2018, 12:03 AM

10 posts

Hi guy

Any recommended places that can get good quality betta fish ? Went some petshop and aquarium but can't find the one that i really like.
Also came across a fb page (https://www.facebook.com/bettafishmalaysia/) but only selling online then deliver to doorstep.. I couldn't see it my own eyes only thru pic...
K-o-E
post Dec 31 2018, 06:53 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

QUOTE(AlittleCb @ Dec 31 2018, 12:03 AM)
Hi guy

Any recommended places that can get good quality betta fish ? Went some petshop and aquarium but can't find the one that i really like.
Also came across a fb page (https://www.facebook.com/bettafishmalaysia/) but only selling online then deliver to doorstep.. I couldn't see it my own eyes only thru pic...
try MIY betta shop @ Avenue 26, Jln Bukit Mewah Kajang
victorsoo
post Jan 1 2019, 02:04 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(K-o-E @ Dec 28 2018, 04:28 PM)

user posted image
Bettas look at shrimps as food. laugh.gif

Corys and tetras as usually safe.

111 Pages « < 103 104 105 106 107 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:57 AM