7 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Guide - Filters for your camera lenses

views

Jimsee
post May 27 2015, 02:12 PM

Casual
335 posts

noob question. Should i buy and use a Circular polarized filter ?

Or adjusting smaller aperture will solve the issue when shooting bright outdoor landscape?

If so which brand you guys recommend for my old canon 60D.

This post has been edited by Jimsee: May 27 2015, 02:12 PM
TSieR
post May 28 2015, 08:57 AM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

QUOTE(Jimsee @ May 27 2015, 02:12 PM)
noob question. Should i buy and use a Circular polarized filter ?

Or adjusting smaller aperture will solve the issue when shooting bright outdoor landscape?

If so which brand you guys recommend for my old canon 60D.
well, a CPL is used to enchance image by cutting out or increase reflection, hence either it can make color more vibrant or dull(cause by haze/water reflection in the air)

Bright outdoor landscape usually can be taken by simple auto, but generally the idea is, Low ISO100, small Aperture (F8-F16), and shutterspeed to compensate. or you can try read up F16 Sunny rules, which most people from the old days uses to snap landscape.

camera is not relevant, but lens is, you will required to get the right size for your lens. check the diameter in front of the lens, CPL/brands can vary, it can be as cheap from rm50, all the way to rm800++. if possible, try seek some friend and try out their CPL to understand it more before buying, maybe you will like it very much and prefer to buy a good expensive scratch resistant CPL.

btw, Canon 60D is a great camera~ thumbup.gif
Jimsee
post Jun 10 2015, 05:26 PM

Casual
335 posts

QUOTE(ieR @ May 28 2015, 08:57 AM)
well, a CPL is used to enchance image by cutting out or increase reflection, hence either it can make color more vibrant or dull(cause by haze/water reflection in the air)

Bright outdoor landscape usually can be taken by simple auto, but generally the idea is, Low ISO100, small Aperture (F8-F16), and shutterspeed to compensate. or you can try read up F16 Sunny rules, which most people from the old days uses to snap landscape.

camera is not relevant, but lens is, you will required to get the right size for your lens. check the diameter in front of the lens, CPL/brands can vary, it can be as cheap from rm50, all the way to rm800++. if possible, try seek some friend and try out their CPL to understand it more before buying, maybe you will like it very much and prefer to buy a good expensive scratch resistant CPL.
btw, Canon 60D is a great camera~  thumbup.gif
thanks man, Instead of learning what CPL to get, i also learned F16 sunny rule. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by Jimsee: Jun 10 2015, 05:27 PM
madmathiu
post Sep 2 2015, 09:23 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

Hello to all the sifu here. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Currently I'm using the Sony mirrorless series. Would like to get some good UV filters for my lenses.

SEL55F18Z - 49mm
SEL1670Z - 55mm
SEL28F20 - 49mm

Would like to know:

1. Is it worth buying B+W XS-Pro for these lenses?
2. Any idea where I can get these UV filters for a good price without getting ripped off?

I'm very new in the camera scene and I'm slowly developing an interest after getting my first mirrorless as a wedding present.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Arigatou ^.^
Lego Warfare
post Sep 20 2015, 03:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,674 posts

Ugh... bought a new Hoya HMC UV filter 67mm and only noticed there were small bits of coating marks on the glass when i reached home.

Anyone with similar experience on how this affects image quality?
TSieR
post Sep 21 2015, 01:21 PM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

QUOTE(madmathiu @ Sep 2 2015, 09:23 PM)
Hello to all the sifu here. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Currently I'm using the Sony mirrorless series. Would like to get some good UV filters for my lenses.

SEL55F18Z - 49mm
SEL1670Z - 55mm
SEL28F20 - 49mm

Would like to know:

1. Is it worth buying B+W XS-Pro for these lenses?
2. Any idea where I can get these UV filters for a good price without getting ripped off?

I'm very new in the camera scene and I'm slowly developing an interest after getting my first mirrorless as a wedding present.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Arigatou ^.^
1. SFEL55Z - 49mm YES, but you can consider using Sony's own Zeiss T* Filter. they are very very good too.
2. SEL1670Z - 55mm YEs, again, you can look into Sony's own Zeiss T* filters.
3. SEL28F2 - if you plan to grab the fisheye or wide angle adapter from sony, then No filter. because filter will block the adapter mount so u need to open the filter everytime u wan to use the adapter.... this lens i wouldnt worry much about filter also...

kinda curious, are you using APS-C or FF? why the lens are mixture of APSC and FF?

if you are using APSC, consider selling off the 28mm and swap for the old sel16mmF2.8 + fisheye adapter... its a very fun combo lens...

QUOTE(Lego Warfare @ Sep 20 2015, 03:00 PM)
Ugh... bought a new Hoya HMC UV filter 67mm and only noticed there were small bits of coating marks on the glass when i reached home.

Anyone with similar experience on how this affects image quality?
well...
1. is the coating mark in dead center of the filter?
2. do you often shoot at above F5.6?

if both answer is No, then it is not an issue.
if either one is Yes, then you 'might' notice softness or marks on your photo.

Lego Warfare
post Sep 21 2015, 02:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,674 posts

QUOTE(ieR @ Sep 21 2015, 01:21 PM)
1. is the coating mark in dead center of the filter?
2. do you often shoot at above F5.6?

if both answer is No, then it is not an issue.
if either one is Yes, then you 'might' notice softness or marks on your photo.
1. Not in dead center, but there are some bits (less than 5mm) here and there spread out..

2. Yes especially landscape/scenery shots.

Arggg I didn't see any of those marks at the shop when inspecting. This is frustrating...
TSieR
post Sep 21 2015, 03:56 PM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

aisks... maybe, Maybe u can return to the shop with receipt ask them why after few days the coating chip off like that. see if they willing to swap a new one for u
kuluuluk
post Sep 29 2015, 08:49 AM

K u l u u l u K
2,176 posts

Hello, would like to ask, generally i'm a noob in photography and i'm going to travel with my A6000 + kit lets. Yet, this kit lens don't work well with wide very well.

So my question is to get sigma 19mm2.8 or 30mm2.8 or Sony 50mm1.8. As you can see i'm kind of in budget mode. I also don't really care if second hand or wat but not sure what to get or where to get.

Thanks
TSieR
post Sep 29 2015, 03:02 PM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

QUOTE(kuluuluk @ Sep 29 2015, 08:49 AM)
Hello, would like to ask, generally i'm a noob in photography and i'm going to travel with my A6000 + kit lets. Yet, this kit lens don't work well with wide very well.

So my question is to get sigma 19mm2.8 or 30mm2.8 or Sony 50mm1.8. As you can see i'm kind of in budget mode. I also don't really care if second hand or wat but not sure what to get or where to get.

Thanks
hi, i think u asked the question in the wrong place. try asking in Sony alpha thread.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3448314

the kitlen 16-50 should be suffice for you travel. maybe a SEL55-210 for zoom use. i doubt grabbing any prime in a short time with your inexperience will make any of your travel photo any better. it takes some time to understand how to use the primes too due to the shallow depth of field, you may end up with a lot blur out photo from your travel.
korby
post Feb 9 2016, 05:08 PM

21 posts

Hi guys, want to ask I'm new for GoPro and wanted to get polarized filter for hero4. I saw people recommend SRP 55mm but it's very expensive with the adapter. Anyone know similar lower range price for this filter?
Snicket
post Mar 14 2016, 04:30 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

I am trying out landscape photography currently. Currently planning to buy Canon 10-18mm and polarizer filter. My question is:

1 - What kind of polarizer should I check out if I'm on a budget.
2 - If I decided to invest in the cokin holder system, should I get the Z series for this lens or the P series should be enough?
3 - If I invest in the cokin holder system, will I be able to use Lee filters for future upgrade?

I am very new with filters and it hurts my head studying about it. Really need some advice here. bangwall.gif
TSieR
post Mar 14 2016, 10:08 PM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

QUOTE(Snicket @ Mar 14 2016, 04:30 PM)
I am trying out landscape photography currently. Currently planning to buy Canon 10-18mm and polarizer filter. My question is:

1 - What kind of polarizer should I check out if I'm on a budget.
2 - If I decided to invest in the cokin holder system, should I get the Z series for this lens or the P series should be enough?
3 - If I invest in the cokin holder system, will I be able to use Lee filters for future upgrade?

I am very new with filters and it hurts my head studying about it. Really need some advice here. bangwall.gif
1. polarizer price range very wide and each value decide the quality. if for a budget, expect a few bad-side like color or proper polarizing effect.

as mentioned before, Cir-Pol is not suitable for Ultra Wide Angle. it will cause a top right corner "un-polarized" having a bright spot.
but a Linear Pol will work on UWA but it will disable AF.

2. you can buy China replica 'holder's (less then usd15 in ebay). depending on your setup,... usually APS-C only require P series. as for fullframe camera recommended using cokin Z holder.

Cokin P - 80mm filter
Cokin Z - 100mm filter

that being said, further investment into 100mm filter are more expensive then 80mm filter.

3. Lee are on 100mm filter system.

my advise for landscape, instead of trying to hard to use a Ultrawide angle to fit everything inside, why not use normal range (18-24mm crop, 24-35mm FF) and stitches the photo together in post process? less distortion and much more opportunity to create a diff perspective then a compressed distortion effect u get from UWA.
Snicket
post Mar 14 2016, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

Wow. Thx for the very detailed advise and insight. I am actually currently confused on whether to buy canon 10-18 or Sigma 17-50 f2.8. However, I feel like buying the Sigma won't be giving me any better quality photos than my kit lens for landscape as I don't really need the wider aperture since I'll be using tripod for landscape anyway. That's why I decided for the 10-18. What is your opinion?

In any case, using filters with holder setup shall give a better result than the one attached on the lens am I correct?

TSieR
post Mar 14 2016, 11:53 PM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

QUOTE(Snicket @ Mar 14 2016, 10:50 PM)
Wow. Thx for the very detailed advise and insight. I am actually currently confused on whether to buy canon 10-18 or Sigma 17-50 f2.8. However, I feel like buying the Sigma won't be giving me any better quality photos than my kit lens for landscape as I don't really need the wider aperture since I'll be using tripod for landscape anyway. That's why I decided for the 10-18. What is your opinion?

In any case, using filters with holder setup shall give a better result than the one attached on the lens am I correct?
i can give u lengthy opinion.... but honestly, i dont know your background, style, interest well enough to give any solid advise.

but the sigma will always give you a general usage advantage of F2.8

holder/square filter will not necessary gives better result then ring filter. just you get to play and adjust square gradient ND height. ring filter is fix middle gradient. and you can get single holder, and spend only few ringgit for diff size of ding adapter to fit diff lens size, instead of buying every single gradient ND, color cast/tint filter for diff lens diameter size.

but, the huge downside with square filter, most color tint/ND filters are made of resin and very very VERYYY easily scratched. ranting.gif ranting.gif and only a few filter are made from glass like the lee big stopper but doesnt stop it from getting scratch too ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif . unlike ring filter, eg, B+W ND has very very high scratch resistant... thumbsup.gif

you win some, you lose some. you cant win it all. its you, that have to made a decision which system to dive in. and my opinion is depend on your budget, and how far you will go into landscape photography.
Snicket
post Mar 30 2016, 09:06 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

I finally ended up with the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 and I am loving it! Now I can get rid of of my kit lens.

As for filter, what do you think about this set? I have not find any review or information regarding this brand JYC.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2907346

Or maybe I can just buy the bracket and use filter from Cokin?
TSieR
post Mar 30 2016, 12:19 PM

~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Elite
3,928 posts

QUOTE(Snicket @ Mar 30 2016, 09:06 AM)
I finally ended up with the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 and I am loving it! Now I can get rid of of my kit lens.

As for filter, what do you think about this set? I have not find any review or information regarding this brand JYC.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2907346

Or maybe I can just buy the bracket and use filter from Cokin?
There is a lot china imitation out there like tianya. A friend if mine brought tian ya, single filter gnd can use. But once u stack multi nd... Color cast comes in... Your wb will turn redish magenta. I have no comment on jyc... U should ask the seller for his true experience.
shizham
post Oct 20 2016, 11:04 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

A lot of people use UV as a protector to the lens. But in actual fact this can be omitted. All you need to do is keep the lens hood on. It acts as a first level protection.

Less glass in front of the lens is always preferred.

Of course there will always be exceptions.
HMMaster
post Nov 4 2016, 07:01 PM

10K Club
Group Icon
10,303 posts

Recently purchased a Hoya HMC filter... but I see there are many fine dots on the filter itself. Is it a defect?

user posted image

Tried to clean it using microfiber cloth, but still can't remove it.
Lego Warfare
post Nov 4 2016, 07:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,674 posts

-

This post has been edited by Lego Warfare: Nov 4 2016, 07:59 PM

7 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.84    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2020 - 08:52 PM