Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

208 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Android general questions thread, Ask anything here!

views

TSxDarkKnightx
post Apr 6 2011, 05:47 PM, updated 7y ago

♪(insert☺catchy☻title)♪
1,706 posts

To prevent threads from being created for the sole purpose of asking a question, I'm here to create a thread for all you curious peoples.

This post has been edited by xDarkKnightx: Apr 6 2011, 06:00 PM
fruitie
post Apr 6 2011, 05:54 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
58,950 posts

QUOTE(XeactorZ @ Apr 6 2011, 05:50 PM)
1st post
good job darkknight biggrin.gif
Don't spam. Post deleted.
Thread pinned.
xDarkKnightx, please update this thread.
XeactorZ
post Apr 6 2011, 05:58 PM

♥ PandaDog ♥
All Stars
29,145 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Apr 6 2011, 05:54 PM)
Thread pinned.
anyway congratz got a general question thread which have been request just now biggrin.gif
TSxDarkKnightx
post Apr 6 2011, 05:59 PM

♪(insert☺catchy☻title)♪
1,706 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Apr 6 2011, 05:54 PM)
Thread pinned.
Will help out whenever possible.
saksoba
post Apr 6 2011, 06:07 PM

Casual
478 posts

no screen shot for android? i mean the official way. like pressing several buttons at once.
nders
post Apr 6 2011, 06:39 PM

Traveholics
965 posts

wow just in time for a question: how to disable the default screen lock? I want the pattern screen lock but don't want to unlock 2 times zzz (first time is the default slide to unlock, 2nd is the pattern lock i set...)

and please, don't ask me to google. I did, and browsed alot, none helped (what nolock, antilock, lockbot.... ) these just disabled everyting all together (including the pattern lock)
TSxDarkKnightx
post Apr 6 2011, 06:52 PM

♪(insert☺catchy☻title)♪
1,706 posts

QUOTE(nders @ Apr 6 2011, 06:39 PM)
wow just in time for a question: how to disable the default screen lock? I want the pattern screen lock but don't want to unlock 2 times zzz (first time is the default slide to unlock, 2nd is the pattern lock i set...)

and please, don't ask me to google. I did, and browsed alot, none helped (what nolock, antilock, lockbot.... ) these just disabled everyting all together (including the pattern lock)
What phone are you using? I'm positive that there is a setting in your Privacy tab that changes your unlock type. Should have pattern/none
saksoba
post Apr 6 2011, 06:52 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(nders @ Apr 6 2011, 06:39 PM)

Maybe ur answer in post #23 http://androidforums.com/android-applicati...html#post284939

This post has been edited by saksoba: Apr 6 2011, 06:53 PM
TSxDarkKnightx
post Apr 6 2011, 06:53 PM

♪(insert☺catchy☻title)♪
1,706 posts

QUOTE(saksoba @ Apr 6 2011, 06:07 PM)
no screen shot for android? i mean the official way. like pressing several buttons at once.
Sadly, none as far as i know. Only apps downloaded from the market allows you to.
DJFoo000
post Apr 6 2011, 07:09 PM

Really? That's the best reply you can come up with?
2,920 posts

^Root access required too, IINM. The SDK way maybe?
Peisqo
post Apr 6 2011, 07:25 PM

5 Star Member !!
900 posts

Ooo question thread .. I want to know why root / flash will void warranty. If it void warranty means it has to be illegal right?

Why some apps in the market require us to root our phone? So google wants us to do illegal stuff? Am I misunderstanding anything?

I know root means gaining super access and flashing is like totally changing everything ... or actually rooting is not illegal .. only flashing is illegal ?
DJFoo000
post Apr 6 2011, 07:34 PM

2,920 posts

It's not illegal in the sense that it will land you in jail.

Void warranty because when ppl root their phones, they do crazy things with it. Doing these crazy things without fully understanding it will sometimes result in a spoilt phone that cannot be repaired by means available to the user. The term for this kind of situation is that the phone is 'bricked'.

Under the warranty agreement, usually there's a clause that says the warranty is void if some form of modification has been performed. Imagine you're a manufacturer, and ppl keep returning these phone cause they do something that they're not supposed to do. Will you repair it? It will cost money to repair these phones one you know.
Peisqo
post Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM

5 Star Member !!
900 posts

QUOTE(DJFoo000 @ Apr 6 2011, 07:34 PM)
It's not illegal in the sense that it will land you in jail.

Void warranty because when ppl root their phones, they do crazy things with it. Doing these crazy things without fully understanding it will sometimes result in a spoilt phone that cannot be repaired by means available to the user. The term for this kind of situation is that the phone is 'bricked'.

Under the warranty agreement, usually there's a clause that says the warranty is void if some form of modification has been performed. Imagine you're a manufacturer, and ppl keep returning these phone cause they do something that they're not supposed to do. Will you repair it? It will cost money to repair these phones one you know.
Yeah i can understand that but if you imagine one uncle use Android .. and he wanted to get an app from Market ... that app clearly says it needs root ... then the uncle google how to root and then he f up ... then he claim warranty and he fails ? I don't think that makes sense ..

I mean let's face it .. not everyone is uber tech savvy ...

This post has been edited by Peisqo: Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM
TSxDarkKnightx
post Apr 6 2011, 07:56 PM

♪(insert☺catchy☻title)♪
1,706 posts

Rooting is like Monopoly's get out of jail free card. You can use it anytime you feel locked up. Rooting to me however, doesn't really serve any purpose. I flashed my phone so i didn't bother to not root it. Since flashing already voids my warranty, why not root it too?
DJFoo000
post Apr 6 2011, 10:50 PM

2,920 posts

QUOTE(Peisqo @ Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM)
Yeah i can understand that but if you imagine one uncle use Android .. and he wanted to get an app from Market ... that app clearly says it needs root ... then the uncle google how to root and then he f up ... then he claim warranty and he fails ? I don't think that makes sense ..

I mean let's face it .. not everyone is uber tech savvy ...
All rooting guides have disclaimers stating warranty will be void when you root, usually bolded in red. If uncle didn't read that then it's his fault. Fact of life.
arthas
post Apr 8 2011, 09:37 AM

Regular
1,683 posts

a noob Q here: how many "markets" r out there actually? tongue.gif
Android Market - Official?
App Brain - Legal?
Applanet - Black market? =p
my HTC IS came wiz android market only
ShinnKQ
post Apr 8 2011, 09:55 AM

I used to have a member title, until I took an arrow in the knee
1,242 posts

QUOTE(arthas @ Apr 8 2011, 09:37 AM)
a noob Q here: how many "markets" r out there actually?  tongue.gif
Android Market - Official?
App Brain - Legal?
Applanet - Black market? =p
my HTC IS came wiz android market only
No talking about cracked applications, support the developers.

AppBrain is a 3rd party app that redirects to the app itself which I really find it a NoBrain. Of course if you can download directly from them then that would be infringing Android Market policy.. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Anywho, there is also Amazon Appstore but there has been info that we can't use it. Doesn't work for me.

I recommend using only google market only. Others may not be reliable and seems redundant.
Unless, user wants apk files for backup purposes but purchasing with a gmail account you can reinstall anytime...so...yeah.
astria
post Apr 8 2011, 10:22 AM

an apple a day keeps the doctor away
22,158 posts

Officially 2, Android Market and Amazon Appstore...

AppBrain is actually an app finding website... ultimately it will still lead u back to Android Market...

Amazon Appstore is basically the same as Android Market, but of course u need an Amazon account to download an apps... there are work arounds to Amazon Appstore, juz google for it... i ve done that and already got 6 apps from Amazon...
arthas
post Apr 8 2011, 11:57 AM

Regular
1,683 posts

Thanks for the answer..... notworthy.gif
i'll stick to android market then smile.gif
anyway, everytime when i choose to download an app from the market, the app will start the installation itself.... anyway that i can do to install them manually? another q is, every android app end wiz .apk extension only?
XeactorZ
post Apr 8 2011, 01:30 PM

♥ PandaDog ♥
All Stars
29,145 posts

QUOTE(arthas @ Apr 8 2011, 11:57 AM)
Thanks for the answer..... notworthy.gif
i'll stick to android market then  smile.gif
anyway, everytime when i choose to download an app from the market, the app will start the installation itself.... anyway that i can do to install them manually? another q is, every android app end wiz .apk extension only?
ur means install them manually is it download the apk file to pc,then transfer to phone and install urself ??
yes,u can,just download the apkinstaller/appinstaller from market to ur phone
and click it and choose the apk file that u wan install

yes,every application word end with .apk ~

208 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1129sec    2.03    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 12:33 AM