Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

friedricetheman
post Sep 14 2018, 12:21 AM

On my way
595 posts

QUOTE(Alvin89 @ Sep 12 2018, 12:57 PM)
any sifu here used or using truefitt & hill razor?
Yup. I own a T&H Wellington DE Razor. It’s a nice Merkur rebrand. Overpriced for what you are getting (pot metal head, not stainless steel) but it does its job well. If you want the exact same model without the Trufitt and Hill branding, try buying Merkur DE razors. They are a German manufacturer.

If you like the T&H handle but don’t feel like paying water fish prices, buy an Aesop DE razor for half the price. The handle on it is the same as the T&H razor. Both handmade in England. The Aesop razor feature a Muhler head but performance wise, it’s the same as they are both pot metal heads.
friedricetheman
post Sep 16 2018, 03:58 PM

On my way
595 posts

I just use feather razor blades for the sharpest cut. Just need 2-3 passes for a smooth hair free face.

I use T&H Sandalwood shaving cream as it smells so nice and lubricates very well.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2019, 10:07 PM

On my way
595 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 10 2019, 07:02 AM)
Razor blade slot I think means shavette? Like the one I bought in the 2015 post above and just broke yesterday. Well I just ordered another one from Aliexpress.

So I'm looking for the knife one. Technique should be almost the same.
Which brand did you buy? Is it the Parker SKX Stainless Steel one? I thought stainless steel lasts a long time.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2019, 11:40 PM

On my way
595 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 10 2019, 10:17 PM)
No brand one from connaught shaving. They don't sell them anymore.
I have the Parker SKX shavette which is fully stainless steel. It have been serving me well so far and it’s not that expensive as it’s around USD$20-30 only.
friedricetheman
post Dec 11 2019, 12:07 PM

On my way
595 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 11 2019, 09:37 AM)
That does look nice and heavy. I didn't take a picture of mine this morning so here's an old post with a pic.
If the new shavette I said I ordered turns out to be lousy, I might consider the Parker. But right now I'm asking for straight razor recommendations.
For straight razors, there is only one brand that is shave ready out of the box with a perfect edge. I fully recommend DOVO straight razors. The handle options is up to your preference but their blades are nicely weighted.
friedricetheman
post Jan 24 2021, 10:40 PM

On my way
595 posts

QUOTE(subliminal_dreams @ Oct 19 2020, 03:52 PM)
Just popped the cherry today. Damn, I wish I had discovered the joys of proper wet shaving ages ago. Took a bit of trial and error to get the angle right, and it's so smooth I could hardly feel it till I had to turn off the water just to hear the razor slicing.. and not a single nick even after doing 3 passes! I am sold, and would definitely advocate this to my buddies. Thanks to all the contributors in this thread, really much appreciated.
You should try straight razors and shavettes. I have been using shavettes for almost 2 years now. Previously I was also using safety razors.

Shavettes give you an ultra close shave. Highly recommended.
friedricetheman
post Jan 25 2021, 12:01 PM

On my way
595 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Jan 25 2021, 08:30 AM)
I was using shavette for almost 5 years. Now the novelty worn off and malas already. With a good DE razor and proper technique (still way easier than using shavette), I get a shave that is almost the same as my shavette. Close enough that no one but me can tell the difference.

It's diminishing returns IMO. If you want that extra 2% by using a shavette, then go for it.
I find that I shave only once every two days if I use a shavette when compared to daily shaves if using safety razors.

I believe it depends on how fast your facial hair grows. Mine grows pretty fast.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0326sec    0.86    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 27th February 2021 - 12:45 AM