12 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Long term use of Sierra Glow result?

views

TSRahXeph0n
post Dec 15 2010, 01:21 AM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
188 posts

Planning to do some kind of paint protection for my new car, and am very interested in Sierra Glow as it seems low in maintenance. Anyone has got any long term experience with it? Anything more than 8 months would be good. 1 year would be perfect haha. I've read many forums and articles about it, but still can't find long term effects of it.
Taipan052
post Dec 15 2010, 01:25 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

if you live in KL.. would you want to do this?
your car prone to scratches.. by motorcycles.. and during parking..

once scratch.. you'll lazy to take care anymore.. ask them.. 5 years warranty including touch up/redo parts that has been repainted or not?
TSRahXeph0n
post Dec 15 2010, 01:38 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

From what I gather (read many pages of forum threads and articles LOL), they will touch up portions for you if needed but it is not covered under warranty.

Anyway, my main concern is, I have not much time to wash my car. I can afford 20 mins to rinse and dry my car every few days though. If Sierra Glow can keep my car in a condition where the majority of it is easy to clean for a year or more, I'll be more than happy to spend that few hundred already. By the way, I rarely get caught in jams and city traffic happy.gif Parking can be scary sometimes though. Some people just don't use brains when they open their doors.

This post has been edited by RahXeph0n: Dec 15 2010, 01:39 AM
jimmy.soo
post Dec 15 2010, 07:50 AM

Happy Go Lucky
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Taipan052 @ Dec 15 2010, 01:25 AM)

once scratch.. you'll lazy to take care anymore.. ask them.. 5 years warranty including touch up/redo parts that has been repainted or not?
then those detailing shops in KL can close shop (tutup kedai) already if its really like what u were saying tongue.gif
car enthusiast do not have the lazy feel towards their car when it comes to taking care
rhaizo
post Dec 15 2010, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

If u read the sierra glow website ull fibd that it still need a little maintenance. Have to use type 1 claybar to remove those nasty tar near wheel.

Since u have 20mins to spare, why dont u get ONR (optimum no rinse) for quick wash.

However if u are still going for sierra glow pls share us the results.
TSRahXeph0n
post Dec 15 2010, 09:14 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(rhaizo @ Dec 15 2010, 08:31 AM)
If u read the sierra glow website ull fibd that it still need a little maintenance. Have to use type 1 claybar to remove those nasty tar near wheel.

Since u have 20mins to spare, why dont u get ONR (optimum no rinse) for quick wash.

However if u are still going for sierra glow pls share us the results.
Yes, they recommend washing using the 2 bucket method, especially within 24hours if there's stuff like bird droppings, and need to visit once a year for inspection, which is not too bad (http://sierraglow.com/after.htm). Nothing about claying, unless you mean I will still need to do that myself, which I guess I probably will not. ONR looks interesting, I'll take that into consideration. Where can I purchase bottles of ONR? Still leaning towards glowing the car though, as the hydrophobic layer is supposed to last about 1 year, and shine for 5 years >.< I'll wager it's an exageration, so I'm still looking for long term user reviews.

Mavik
post Dec 15 2010, 09:16 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

Done Sierra Glow for my car recently so can't really say the long term effects. Only for 1 month. My car is a white hatchback car so it is very very easy to see when it gets dirty because my apartment block have a lot of people renovating so dust gets trapped all over and now its the raining season.

The good thing about SG is that just a normal wash (RM10) makes it looks like it has been waxed! Thats the good thing I see from it recently.
azmirkhalid
post Dec 15 2010, 09:29 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(Taipan052 @ Dec 15 2010, 01:25 AM)

i just get sierra glow to my car last 2 months. and yes, i had scratched my car recently...sent to them and they polished the scratch and give the treatment back and now it is just like new...no scratch anymore....even they say, if i had an accident, i change new bumper....they will give FREE treatment for the new bumper as long as within 5 years...to me, it is really worth it...easy maintenance + good after sale service...
rhaizo
post Dec 15 2010, 09:50 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(RahXeph0n @ Dec 15 2010, 09:14 AM)
Yes, they recommend washing using the 2 bucket method, especially within 24hours if there's stuff like bird droppings, and need to visit once a year for inspection, which is not too bad (http://sierraglow.com/after.htm). Nothing about claying, unless you mean I will still need to do that myself, which I guess I probably will not. ONR looks interesting, I'll take that into consideration. Where can I purchase bottles of ONR? Still leaning towards glowing the car though, as the hydrophobic layer is supposed to last about 1 year, and shine for 5 years >.< I'll wager it's an exageration, so I'm still looking for long term user reviews.
Sorry cant remember from where I read about they clay. But I somehow remember reading from somewhere that u still need to use clay type 1 to remove tar spots. However this is very seldom maybe 1-2 times a year.

You can get ONR from KC's frm lowyat.net, read his blog http://thedetailers.blogspot.com.

I've used ONR for quick detailing and wash. For a newbie like me I can say that its a good way to wash ur car since u dont use much water therefore saving the mama earth. You should get alot of microfibers for this else ull end up inducing swirl marks which can be really irritating. Can get some from bro MSK frm lowyat.net.

I wonder if you've done the sierra glow can u go the sideroad car wash? from what ive observe, the roadside car wash not using proper towel which in the end ur car will have alottttt of swirl marks.
Mavik
post Dec 15 2010, 09:55 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(rhaizo @ Dec 15 2010, 09:50 AM)
Sorry cant remember from where I read about they clay. But I somehow remember reading from somewhere that u still need to use clay type 1 to remove tar spots. However this is very seldom maybe 1-2 times a year.

You can get ONR from KC's frm lowyat.net, read his blog http://thedetailers.blogspot.com.

I've used ONR for quick detailing and wash. For a newbie like me I can say that its a good way to wash ur car since u dont use much water therefore saving the mama earth. You should get alot of microfibers for this else ull end up inducing swirl marks which can be really irritating. Can get some from bro MSK frm lowyat.net.

I wonder if you've done the sierra glow can u go the sideroad car wash? from what ive observe, the roadside car wash not using proper towel which in the end ur car will have alottttt of swirl marks.
I have done that with side road car wash, Shell station car was and a car wash place in Aman Suria. Frankly, all also results in the same. Hardly even see any swirl marks at all.
Taipan052
post Dec 15 2010, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(jimmy.soo @ Dec 15 2010, 07:50 AM)
then those detailing shops in KL can close shop (tutup kedai) already if its really like what u were saying tongue.gif
car enthusiast do not have the lazy feel towards their car when it comes to taking care
lol. thats different. this is something you pay straight 600 ~ 700 bucks. i mean for coating and wax is different thing.
if scratch, the coating gone. when we go back do we need to pay additional bucks to recoat or free? that what i meant. tongue.gif

QUOTE(azmirkhalid @ Dec 15 2010, 09:29 AM)
i just get sierra glow to my car last 2 months. and yes, i had scratched my car recently...sent to them and they polished the scratch and give the treatment back and now it is just like new...no scratch anymore....even they say, if i had an accident, i change new bumper....they will give FREE treatment for the new bumper as long as within 5 years...to me, it is really worth it...easy maintenance + good after sale service...
if like this then it's really worth!
TSRahXeph0n
post Dec 15 2010, 12:19 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

Ah, I've been reading' KC's blog. Very interesting, wiosh I had the time, but I guess I'm just not a pure auto enthusiast haha.

@azmirkhalid
If that's true, that's really awesome. Anyway, if the whole car costs about 500-600, then changing and redoing bumper should cost less, which is manageable IMO.

This post has been edited by RahXeph0n: Dec 16 2010, 01:36 AM
lakini80
post Jul 5 2011, 12:55 PM

Casual
323 posts

Is been a year I had did the detailing and the paint on my car still looks new. Really satisfied with the results.
roberttiong
post Oct 17 2011, 01:13 PM

21 posts

please advice where can do the Sierra Glow coating, i stay in cheras which is the nearest place for me?
xiphone4
post Oct 17 2011, 10:29 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

My car has been treated for 1 1/2 year and still look very good. Of course you cannot compare with a newly polished car parking side by side. But i am very satisfy with the result for the money i paid
ar188
post Oct 17 2011, 11:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(roberttiong @ Oct 17 2011, 01:13 PM)
please advice where can do the Sierra Glow coating, i stay in cheras which is the nearest place for me?
usj 1 mr choong.

did on akod 1year back and fren did on sonata last few wks.

pulautikus
post May 8 2012, 11:37 AM

Getting Started
288 posts

Mind posting recent pictures of your Accord and your friends Sonata
cybermaster98
post May 8 2012, 02:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

I did the SG on my new Optima 2 weeks ago. SG is meant to protect the paint from oxydisation not damage. Its 5 year warranty covers the paint quality. SG is not meant to protect against physical scratches or damage from flying stones on highways. It does provide a certain degree of protection as it covers the original paint with another layer but dont expect some extraordinary protection.

With the Sierra Glow, u wont need to polish or wax for 5 years or so they claim. But for periodic maintenance, u must use the clay bar (which is simple enough). Normal washing is recommended. Avoid going to car washes as they use strong detergents and cloths in bad condition which may damage the paint surface.

But for only RM700 and a 5 year warranty, i would say its worth a try. Even if it lasts 2 years ill be happy. But Mr Choong is a very friendly person and quite accomodating. Give it a try. U wont regret.
Gilthoniel
post May 8 2012, 05:40 PM

the Doctor is IN!
1,718 posts

Yes agreed. My silver forte still looks smashing new every time I wash it. And it stills beads water after such a long time.
azfamy
post May 8 2012, 09:00 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

Wow, very good reviews here. Good price some more. I went to GZox glass coating & they quote me RM2200 for the cheapest variant. Blardy expensive. SG is also considered as glass coating, right?

12 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0301sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:13 PM