40 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Eight Ways To Kill Your HDD, About what NOT to do to prolong HDD life

views

plankton
post Jul 16 2005, 03:12 AM

*Place Custom Member Title Here*
809 posts

to know which fan in speedfan is which, compare it with ur mobo utility.. i used pc probe (asus) .. and then rename the fan in speedfan with the one in pc probe. just follow the help file step by step n ull be fine smile.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:07 PM
Oxigen
post Jul 20 2005, 02:09 AM

Need Help Newbie®
1,532 posts

QUOTE(pizzaboy @ Jun 11 2005, 01:42 PM)
damn it these bloomin hardrives are damn fragile man.
strangely my 20GB and 15GB WD hardrives are still doing fine after all these years.
weird.....
things these days are better but definately more fragile...thats why theres a saying "old is gold"

-regards-

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:08 PM
i love mac OS
post Jul 20 2005, 01:41 PM

Casual
368 posts

ya,my maxtor 10gb hdd use 6 years also no problem.......& i have brought another new maxtor 40gb hdd,it seems that the new one hotter than the old 1
gestapo
post Jul 21 2005, 03:43 PM

Full HD Post Count
1,160 posts

my western digital 40MB still functioning up till now..aint that a record..but no use la 40MB,,maybe now they make hdd lower cost so the lifespan is not that long

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:08 PM
devil_x
post Jul 28 2005, 08:51 AM

Casual
483 posts

i heard using too much bittorrent will kill harddisk too...is that true?
TSlex
post Jul 29 2005, 11:15 AM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(devil_x @ Jul 28 2005, 08:51 AM)
i heard using too much bittorrent will kill harddisk too...is that true?
Nopes... Modern HDDs is capable of 20MB/s to 70MB/s transfer rates. Downloading BT doesn't even come close to that speed (e.g. theoretical maximum from ordinary Streamyx connection is 100KB/s). Just make sure the HDD is always kept cool and have a good PSU. An AVR or UPS is recommended also. Do not overclock the PCI bus speed (which affects the IDE bus speed also) for stable operation. wink.gif

hiroko
post Jul 29 2005, 04:42 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(lex @ Jul 29 2005, 11:15 AM)
Nopes... Modern HDDs is capable of 20MB/s to 70MB/s transfer rates. Downloading BT doesn't even come close to that speed (e.g. theoretical maximum from ordinary Streamyx connection is 100KB/s). Just make sure the HDD is always kept cool and have a good PSU. An AVR or UPS is recommended also. Do not overclock the PCI bus speed (which affects the IDE bus speed also) for stable operation. wink.gif
BT will kill hdd faster as from theory coz BT require the owner to send n receive from time to time which every part is require only just few kb only..thus reading n writing in consequences will make hdd die faster. But nowadays BT already use the built in buffer which use RAM as temporary storage n stored data the hdd for a certain of amount.

from my point to prevent hdd from bad sector -> do always full format the drive periodically to maintain the hdd.

to prevent from undetect -> use good psu, coz most of the time the board burn coz of over voltage n dun on off too offten.

on a hdd wif 24/7 will long lasting then on off frequently.

believe o not up to u , cos i repair hdd for few years, experience told me.

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:10 PM
zooloo
post Aug 3 2005, 09:08 PM

On my way
565 posts

@hiroko
on pc 24/7 prolongs hdd life??that is new info huhuh
loki
post Aug 4 2005, 02:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,086 posts

had lost 2 wd harddisk because of static electricity..
joylay83
post Aug 11 2005, 12:07 AM

Enthusiast
854 posts

QUOTE(hiroko @ Jul 29 2005, 04:46 PM)
to prevent from undetect -> use good psu, coz most of the time the board burn coz of over voltage n dun on off too offten.
hi... i have a seagate cheetah 17gb scsi hdd. it won't detect. when i plug power into it it won't turn hot. i can't test the hdd here in my house coz i dun have scsi cable. i installed winXP on the other scsi hdd and the system is very stable.

how do you know that this hdd is dead for sure??

power: antec 480W truepower for, Athlom MP 1800+ dual proc, 2x 17gb scsi (using pci adaptec raid, now the hdd suspected dead 1 is with me), tyan tiger mobo, 1gb ecc ram, 2 80gb seagate sata hdd (use adaptec sata pci raid too).

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:09 PM
tong1774
post Aug 13 2005, 12:58 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(Kane3013 @ Aug 12 2005, 12:27 AM)
You all still considered lucky...

my Maxtor 20gb hdd went on flames right infront of my eyes  shocking.gif

I so shock I fast close the PC luckily only the hdd died  sweat.gif

(that happened 2 years ago)

after that I didnt buy Maxtor anymore always buy WD only  thumbup.gif

the cause of the fire was the solder on the chip overheat because of excessive dust (closer inspection of the decease was the hdd was choking on dust cause i didnt clean the hdd and I open the case too)

so word of encouragement to you all is CLEAN YOUR PC FROM DUST REGULARLY

it happen to me and could happen to you.
Wow that is... flex.gif BTW i will open up my case once a while to check the dust condition. And i DIY some filter in front of the fan so it wont be too dusty. But some times i wonder what should i use to clean pc components, vacum cleaner? Some say it will damage your hardware with static. Same to brush, unless i have to spend some money to buy compressed air. I read in some article someone actually wash his mobo with water then later make sure its 100% dry before using it sweat.gif So hardcore...

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:09 PM
chrono-storm
post Aug 23 2005, 08:46 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

speed fan... preety good idea...how about using aerogate?
little_princess
post Aug 25 2005, 11:30 AM

39 posts

if u use brush that are made mainly for model colouring then should be ok.. becoz the brush does not give ur pc component a static... may be a small vaccum cleaner for computer will help to reduce the dust in your pc..
ambg
post Aug 26 2005, 10:14 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

I think BitTorrent do kill HDD. Coz my 120GB HDD juz hit wif SMART Error (bad sector) n unable to run any HDD scanning tools which will let to BSOD or juz hang.

This will be my second casualty (the first one is the 40GB HDD then now this 120 GB less than 1 year HDD, juz send for RMA..... n bought another 160GB HDD.....).

I'm running BT for 24/7 & I believe it kill........... btw I'm using the new HDD while waiting for the RMA unit........ if it strike ... i will post again...

yingchai
post Aug 27 2005, 12:14 AM

Regular
1,281 posts

QUOTE(ambg @ Aug 26 2005, 10:14 AM)
I think BitTorrent do kill HDD. Coz my 120GB HDD juz hit wif SMART Error (bad sector) n unable to run any HDD scanning tools which will let to BSOD or juz hang.

This will be my second casualty (the first one is the 40GB HDD then now this 120 GB less than 1 year HDD, juz send for RMA..... n bought another 160GB HDD.....).

I'm running BT for 24/7 & I believe it kill........... btw I'm using the new HDD while waiting for the RMA unit........ if it strike ... i will post again...
this question is offered to ambg,
i saw ur rig spec n ur mobo can support 2 types of ram
how can u do dat?
ABIT TH-7IIR I850 only can support RD RAM, rite?
pls explain...

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 12:12 PM
KiLLer^Boy
post Aug 30 2005, 11:40 AM

X-10
599 posts

sorry off topic abit
want to know how long is a harddisk life span
and how many time can reformat a harddisk
1000?? 10000??

TSlex
post Aug 30 2005, 04:53 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(joylay83 @ Aug 11 2005, 12:07 AM)
hi... i have a seagate cheetah 17gb scsi hdd. it won't detect. when i plug power into it it won't turn hot. i can't test the hdd here in my house coz i dun have scsi cable. i installed winXP on the other scsi hdd and the system is very stable.

how do you know that this hdd is dead for sure??

power: antec 480W truepower for, Athlom MP 1800+ dual proc, 2x 17gb scsi (using pci adaptec raid, now the hdd suspected dead 1 is with me), tyan tiger mobo, 1gb ecc ram, 2 80gb seagate sata hdd (use adaptec sata pci raid too).

notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
Is that Cheetah a 10,000rpm 73LP or earlier version? Cause, I'm using one here also.. still working and running 24/7 (downloading "stuffs"). Anyway did you check the cables, wheteher it was terminated properly.. Another area to check is the jumpers. rolleyes.gif

If all else fails, remove the drive and examine at HDD controller board. Near the power molex, there are several ferrite beads and "fuses"(those "0" ohm resistors) actually. If you have a multi-meter, check the conductivity. wink.gif

QUOTE(hiroko @ Jul 29 2005, 04:42 PM)
BT will kill hdd faster as from theory coz BT require the owner to send n receive from time to time which every part is require only just few kb only..thus reading n writing in consequences will make hdd die faster. But nowadays BT already use the built in buffer which use RAM as temporary storage n stored data the hdd for a certain of amount.
Compare 100KB/s with 20MB/s, that's only 0.5% of what most HDD is capable of. The HDD is practically hardly moving much either (notice that the HDD LED only blinks once a while). You also forget that the operating system uses some amount of RAM for read-ahead and write-behind caches (i.e. temporary storage). This caches applies to all applications, not only BTs. It works transparently and helps speeds up reading and writing. laugh.gif

Its not true BTs kill HDD faster. Its more of how you maintain the operation of the HDD (while running BTs), as I have said before - cooling and good PSU are recommended. Anyway "some" HDDs aren't suitable for 24/7 operations.. I think you know which ones.. whistling.gif

QUOTE(KiLLer^Boy @ Aug 30 2005, 11:40 AM)
sorry off topic abit
want to know how long is a harddisk life span
and how many time can reformat a harddisk
1000?? 10000??
That depends on how much you used it and on your luck really. Most HDDs should last more than 3 years. Going past 5 years is pretty good lifespan already (by that time newer higher capacity HDDs will be available). Some HDDs are pretty tough.. I still have a Seagate ST351AX 40MB (yes, MB as in MegaBytes) still operational! You can guess how old that one is... Old is gold laugh.gif

You can reformat your HDD as much as you like. 1000 to 10,000 times? I don't think anyone has format the HDD that many times before. blink.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 11:55 AM
Hail Caesar
post Sep 1 2005, 01:07 AM

5 posts

i got another question if hdd get burn or smoke, izit bcoz of power supply or hdd is about to spoilt already?
ambg
post Sep 1 2005, 03:15 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

oops... double post.

This post has been edited by ambg: Sep 1 2005, 03:39 PM
TSlex
post Sep 1 2005, 03:46 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(Hail Caesar @ Sep 1 2005, 01:07 AM)
i got another question if hdd get burn or smoke, izit bcoz of power supply or hdd is about to spoilt already?
Two things comes in mind.. Either overheating and/or faulty PSU. As for faulty HDD controller board (due to bad design and components), less likely nowadays.. However there was one which is infamous.. the Quantum Fireball series where the spindle motor driver I.C always blow due to lack of fuse and/or unstable PSU voltages. tongue.gif

Note: Faulty PSU can generate higher than normal voltages.. usually parts of the motherboard and CPU aren't affected much because the processor draws its power from an on-board voltage regulator (i.e. stepping down to VCore). wink.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 13 2006, 11:56 AM

40 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:32 PM