Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Frequent power trips during lightning

views

TSwatermonkey
post Jan 23 2010, 09:32 PM, updated 15y ago

25 posts

Anyone knows why my power trips even at the slightest lightning strike?

During one normal thunderstorm, it can trip for up to 5-10 times. My neighbour's power doesn't get tripped, while mine does.

Anyone can troubleshoot what component in the electrical system is faulty? It's very annoying when it trips when I'm doing something important on the computer. I want to fix this frequent tripping problem, I don't want to buy a UPS.

Thanks.
syarz
post Jan 23 2010, 09:39 PM

On my way
690 posts

http://hubpages.com/hub/importance-of-power-surge-protection

better late then never.. you dont wanna end up like this poor guy

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry31436601
TSwatermonkey
post Jan 23 2010, 09:45 PM

25 posts

I think you misunderstood my problem, I strongly believe that there is a problem with the electrical system, causing the frequent power trips. Of course, I can just call an electrician over to take a look at it, but he has come here quite often and he did not mention anything about anything being faulty. So, I just want to get your thoughts on what could be wrong with the electrical system. As I've mentioned before, my neighbour's power doesn't trip when mine trips.

If I wanted to, I could go out and buy a UPS right now, but I want to get to the root of the problem. Buying a UPS, but still facing the frequent power trips is annoying. That is why I want to troubleshoot what is wrong with the electrical system first.

syarz
post Jan 23 2010, 09:55 PM

On my way
690 posts

QUOTE(watermonkey @ Jan 23 2010, 09:45 PM)
I think you misunderstood my problem, I strongly believe that there is a problem with the electrical system, causing the frequent power trips. Of course, I can just call an electrician over to take a look at it, but he has come here quite often and he did not mention anything about anything being faulty. So, I just want to get your thoughts on what could be wrong with the electrical system. As I've mentioned before, my neighbour's power doesn't trip when mine trips.

If I wanted to, I could go out and buy a UPS right now, but I want to get to the root of the problem. Buying a UPS, but still facing the frequent power trips is annoying. That is why I want to troubleshoot what is wrong with the electrical system first.
i see sweat.gif

if that case most probably its overloaded? or the wire is already old @ rotten or something?
koyuki
post Jan 23 2010, 10:00 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

your elcb is very sensitive, but good to know they are working fine compare to those doesn't trip at all, its better safe than sorry.
you can read more at here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_leakage_circuit_breaker
rattan
post Jan 23 2010, 10:11 PM

Droid
Group Icon
Trade Dispute
3,379 posts

Yes yr circuit breaker is too sensitive. you can replace the elcb, it wont cost much. my house ELCB trips when very strong lightning but not all the time. Get a reliable brand, its very important hardware in yr home electrical system.

No harm if u spend more the get a good one.
TSwatermonkey
post Jan 23 2010, 10:11 PM

25 posts

Thanks for the replies guys smile.gif

Do you think that it's wise to ask my electrician to reduce the sensitivity?
rattan
post Jan 23 2010, 10:14 PM

Droid
Group Icon
Trade Dispute
3,379 posts

U cant reduce the sensitivity but the replace the ELCB to a better reliable brand.

Ask him to also check your earth wires if all are good.
TSwatermonkey
post Jan 23 2010, 10:15 PM

25 posts

Ok, I guess I'll look around for a new ELCB then, thanks guys.
rattan
post Jan 23 2010, 10:16 PM

Droid
Group Icon
Trade Dispute
3,379 posts

Get a good brand. If you want some suggestion i can help.
koyuki
post Jan 23 2010, 10:16 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

i don't think can reduce the sensitivity, but can change to new one.
rattan
post Jan 23 2010, 10:17 PM

Droid
Group Icon
Trade Dispute
3,379 posts

QUOTE(koyuki @ Jan 23 2010, 10:16 PM)
i don't think can reduce the sensitivity, but can change to new one.
yeah thats what i told to him earlier biggrin.gif
Johan-N
post Jan 23 2010, 10:20 PM

Life is Half Spent Before One knows what life is~
1,186 posts

in my old house even the slightest lighting makes the power trip.

My house is the only house in 16 acres and is on a hill so i guess its normal for it to trip at slightest lighting. I asked my electrical technician and he said that its Normal for it to trip often during lighting.

Does it trip a lot lastime? or just recently tripping a lot?
rattan
post Jan 23 2010, 11:05 PM

Droid
Group Icon
Trade Dispute
3,379 posts

QUOTE(Johan-N @ Jan 23 2010, 10:20 PM)
in my old house even the slightest lighting makes the power trip.

My house is the only house in 16 acres and is on a hill so i guess its normal for it to trip at slightest lighting. I asked my electrical technician and he said that its Normal for it to trip often during lighting.

Does it trip a lot lastime? or just recently tripping a lot?
This is because when the lightning hits the ground (open area) it feeds back to your copper grounding rods which is connected to your ELCB and therefore giving u a trip.
dkk
post Jan 24 2010, 09:21 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

I've asked an electrician, but he says it's normal. I don't believe him, because when I look out the window, the neighbours lights are all on. And it happens way too often. Half them time we hear thunder, the lights will go off. It happens even when the lightning is more than 1km away. We're reduced to waiting for the thunderstorm to pass. There's no point flipping the switch on the ELCB because it will simply trip again.

rattan, so what is a good brand? which shop should we go to if we're around the KL area.
soonchuan194
post Sep 9 2012, 05:58 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(watermonkey @ Jan 23 2010, 09:32 PM)
Anyone knows why my power trips even at the slightest lightning strike?

During one normal thunderstorm, it can trip for up to 5-10 times. My neighbour's power doesn't get tripped, while mine does.

Anyone can troubleshoot what component in the electrical system is faulty? It's very annoying when it trips when I'm doing something important on the computer. I want to fix this frequent tripping problem, I don't want to buy a UPS.

Thanks.
Hi , i have same problem with you which my house power trip more than few time during normal thunderstorm. Just want to know you have solved this problem already?
jwrx
post Oct 28 2012, 06:59 PM

On my way
515 posts

hmm was searching for solution to this problem..and found this thread..i have the exact same problem..but only for 1 circuit in my house...even if the thunderstorm is miles away, it will trip...annoying cos my fridge and computer is on this circuit.

Will try to get electrician to change to a better ELCB
Hansel
post May 9 2016, 06:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

Just wondering if anybody has found permanent solutions to this problem of simple lightning strikes causing the ELCB to trip ?
boonwuilow
post May 9 2016, 06:59 PM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

That is actually good u know, having a sensitive ELCB, that will protect your household electrical appliances from getting fried (including your precious PC).
Still remember my neighbor ELCB are not sensitive, as a result 1 lightning took out almost all of their electrical appliances.

http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/w...rent-device-rcd
Hansel
post May 10 2016, 03:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(boonwuilow @ May 9 2016, 06:59 PM)
That is actually good u know, having a sensitive ELCB, that will protect your household electrical appliances from getting fried (including your precious PC).
Still remember my neighbor ELCB are not sensitive, as a result 1 lightning took out almost all of their electrical appliances.

http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/w...rent-device-rcd
Hi Boon,... if it is too sensitive, I regard it as an overkill. It will not be protecting our equipment against overcurrent conditions and voltage surges anymore, it will instead contribute two undesired effects, namely :-

1) Unreasonably tripping the mains supply and causing us inconvenience to go reset it at the DB position.
2) Compromising certain functions oi the house when the trip occurs unnecessarily, eg spoiling food in the fridge, removing CCTV Security, etc,....

Hence, I believe it is more preferred to have an ELCB that trips ONLY upon ACTUAL 'danger' conditions, and not on all possibly 'danger' conditions.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:47 AM