Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Honours vs Non-Honours Degree, Confused? Come in here!

views

TSazarimy
post Mar 26 2009, 07:38 PM, updated 13y ago

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

There are lots of confusions amongst SPM/STPM leavers on the difference between an honours degree and a non-honours degree. Well, it should be, because not many people actually explain about it, although you could always just wiki or google it tongue.gif. But here I am again, trying to shed some light in the matter to help you choose the best course for you.

The information below is a collection from several sources and individual opinions including mine, fyire and several others collected from old topics.

HONOURS DEGREE

An Honours degree is still a Bachelors degree. To be more accurate, the wordings would actually read: Bachelor of <field> in <course> (Honours). For example Bachelor of Science in Computer Management (Honours).

There are two very different system in determining an honours degree in the world today. The UK system and the Australian/NZ system. In Malaysia, we follow closely to the UK system, as most other Commonwealth countries. I can't say for sure about US universities, but it does seem that most of them use the same system as well. And as far as I know, only Australia and New Zealand uses the Australian/NZ system.

Before we go deeper, do understand that all degrees has classifications, and not to be confused with honours. First class, Second class upper, Second class lower and Third class are classifications on your achievements. Not normally associated with your honours title, with exception as will be described later.

Now lets talk about these two systems.

UK Honours System

In the UK system, honours degree differentiates between a professional/specialized degree and normal standard/general degree. The honours status is declared upfront before the student takes the course, meaning they would know full well if they will graduate with honours or not. Then all they had to do is pass with at least 2.00CGPA (2nd class lower) at the end of their studies.

Honours degree will have a research component at the end of the studies, normally in the form of a research thesis. This is the extra academic component that is not available in a non-honours degree. And normally professional courses take this as an essential component to determine its professional recognition.

So if you're concerned with professional recognition (for courses such as architecture, engineering, medicine, law or accountancy), be sure to pay attention to the honours title in the degree. If there's an honours, go for it. Non-honours degree are usually shorter, but honours carry more recognition.

Australian/NZ Honours System

By Australian standards the awarding of honours is only upon completion of a 4th optional year which consists of research based work where at the end, the student is expected to publish a thesis. This optional 4th year usually cannot be applied into, and is only offered to students on an invitation basis, depending on how well they have performed during the 2nd and 3rd year level. This is how it's like for those 3 year courses.

Basically the Australian/NZ system only awards honours degree to top students. It can be said that this gives the honours title more meaning and prestige compared to the UK system. However, the two can't be compared directly simply because difference of meaning. So before you confuse yourself, just understand what each honours means and how you could obtain it.

The Honours system that described only applies to the 3 year courses in Australia. For 4 year and above courses such as engineering, it follows the UK system still.

NON-HONOURS DEGREE

Non-honours degree, also known as general degree, is a slightly lower standard of degree as compared to honours degree. Although you might say that the general degree is the standard, while honours degree is higher. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. Anyway, the main difference between a general degree and an honours degree is honours degree requires a thesis at the end of the degree. General degree student ends their study with a graduating project.

Hope this helps. Questions are welcomed.
Alan23211
post Mar 26 2009, 07:45 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

im glad such thread is created !
anyway, so if im taking business course, the title honours wont really matter as its not a profession recognition?
TSazarimy
post Mar 26 2009, 07:50 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

technically, i suppose it wont matter. but i wouldnt know exactly. u gotta ask the school or those graduated/graduating from that school.
Makakeke
post Mar 26 2009, 08:11 PM

Casual
310 posts

What difference does it make when it comes to working?
TSazarimy
post Mar 26 2009, 08:38 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

UK honours - professional recognition. courses like architecture, civil engineering, accountancy etc has a body that regulates them. without professional recognition, u just are not qualified to work as one.

aussie honours - bragging rights. which also looks damn good on ur ceevee tongue.gif.
Annihilux
post Mar 26 2009, 09:38 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

Good read and really help. Pin this to the FAQ?
adam1190
post Apr 20 2009, 01:52 AM

Lowyat Regular
1,909 posts

Meaning to say, for AUS degree, its classification would be fail or pass only?
JacQKit
post Apr 20 2009, 02:10 AM

Casual
364 posts

if let say someone take non-honour degree and when grad,
what is the name of the degree?
is it such as Bachelor of Science in Computer Management? without the word "honours" ?
saturn85
post Apr 20 2009, 02:18 AM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

really good information.. now i only know the different.. thumbup.gif
this topic should be pinned.. thumbup.gif
TSazarimy
post Apr 20 2009, 02:45 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(jianwei90 @ Apr 19 2009, 05:52 PM)
Meaning to say, for AUS degree, its classification would be fail or pass only?
no. when did i say that?

QUOTE(JacQKit @ Apr 19 2009, 06:10 PM)
if let say someone take non-honour degree and when grad,
what is the name of the degree?
is it such as  Bachelor of Science in Computer Management? without the word "honours" ?
yes. without the honours, even if u score a 1st class.
JacQKit
post Apr 20 2009, 02:48 AM

Casual
364 posts

yes. without the honours, even if u score a 1st class.
Thanks so much for the information rclxms.gif
Do you know whether Bachelor o Jurisprudence (BOJ) UM external is honour degree or general?

This post has been edited by JacQKit: Apr 20 2009, 02:48 AM
TSazarimy
post Apr 20 2009, 02:59 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(JacQKit @ Apr 19 2009, 06:48 PM)
Thanks so much for the information rclxms.gif
Do you know whether Bachelor o Jurisprudence (BOJ) UM external is honour degree or general?
for malaysian degrees, just pop up to their website (in this case, UM's) and give it a check. the proper convention is to display/advertise/inform the course by its full name. if it's honours, it will indicate so.
JacQKit
post Apr 20 2009, 03:19 AM

Casual
364 posts

I see.. will check about it.
Thank you very much,azarimy. =)
spitfire111
post Apr 20 2009, 09:11 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

woo, I think this one deserve to be pinned....

If can't, I will just add it to my list... smile.gif
thanks for the info btw..
Gary1981
post Apr 20 2009, 09:15 AM

Regular
1,610 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Mar 26 2009, 08:38 PM)
UK honours - professional recognition. courses like architecture, civil engineering, accountancy etc has a body that regulates them. without professional recognition, u just are not qualified to work as one.

aussie honours - bragging rights. which also looks damn good on ur ceevee tongue.gif.
Is it UK honour is at least to 3rd class? FYI, my 3rd class grade is with Honour(7 years ago). Just curious is it had changed now?

This post has been edited by Gary1981: Apr 20 2009, 09:16 AM
dreamer101
post Apr 20 2009, 09:28 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,855 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Mar 26 2009, 07:38 PM)

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

azarimy,

1) Under USA system, there is no such concept in the bachelor degree. This distinction only happened in the master degree level. So, if you get your master degree without doing master thesis in Electrical Engineering, you get a

MEE -> Master in Electrical Engineering

If you get your master degree and did a master thesis in Electrical Engineering, you get a

MSEE -> Master of Science in Electrical Engineering.

2) The honor system in USA varies from school to school

3.75 to 4.0 Summa Cum Laude

3.50 to 3.74 Magna Cum Laude

3.25 to 3.49 Cum Laude

The above is an example. Normally, most schools only do two level of honors: Summa Cum Laude and Magna Cum Laude. The cutoff point is different for each school within the university (school of engineering versus science and so on.

Dreamer

TSazarimy
post Apr 20 2009, 09:49 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

thanks dreamer.

in relation to the numerical items in ur post:

1. i'm not sure by what u mean when u say "there is no such concept as the bachelor degree in the US", coz reading wikipedia again, it seems they too follow the bachelor degree convention. refer here. do u mean to say "honors degree"?

3. how do u write the full title of the degree, say a bachelor of science in civil engineering with magna cum laude achievement?

dreamer101
post Apr 20 2009, 10:00 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,855 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 20 2009, 09:49 AM)
thanks dreamer.

in relation to the numerical items in ur post:

1. i'm not sure by what u mean when u say "there is no such concept as the bachelor degree in the US", coz reading wikipedia again, it seems they too follow the bachelor degree convention. refer here. do u mean to say "honors degree"?

3. how do u write the full title of the degree, say a bachelor of science in civil engineering with magna cum laude achievement?
azarimy,

<<do u mean to say "honors degree"?>>

Yes, I meant "honors degree". There is no such concept in USA bachelor degree.

<<bachelor of science in civil engineering with magna cum laude>>

Not written in that fashion. See below picture as an example.

http://michael.barnathan.name/itemimages/bachelorsdegree.jpg

Dreamer
CarroTT
post Apr 20 2009, 11:16 AM

ms. sunflower
1,216 posts

pening lar
so many engineering degree terms

no idea . . . .
limeuu
post Apr 20 2009, 12:01 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

the basic problem is, the same word (honours/honors) is used to describe different beasts.......hence the confusion......perhaps some kind of revamp of the system is needed........

the equivalent scenario is that of the title 'doctor'.........it's use means different things in different situations.......while ordinarily it would mean a doctor of medicine, those with doctorates also carries the title doctor.......and to add to the confusion, in some countries (msia included) dentists and vets are also called doctors......(nb, dentists are NOT addressed as dr. in uk)....

the americans addressed this situation simple by adding the acronym 'MD' at the end of their name, immediately differentiating the medical doctors from the others......

8 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0188sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:46 PM