Style & fashion articles, Men's worst style mistake

views

TSjind86
post Feb 13 2009, 04:29 PM, updated 15y ago

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

Anyone is welcome to share men's style & fashion articles/tips here.. Kindly scan or write the information neatly.. Also please do not forget to include referencing for your information..

For the readers, zoom in if the words are too small..

Guys, feel free to add comments or simply say thanks if you found something useful =)

This post has been edited by jind86: Jul 3 2009, 11:08 AM
TSjind86
post Feb 13 2009, 04:31 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

Untucked, untied.. uncool..

Source: GQ Magazine

This post has been edited by jind86: Feb 13 2009, 04:31 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSjind86
post Feb 13 2009, 04:34 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

Roll up your sleeves, the right way

Source: GQ

This post has been edited by jind86: Feb 22 2009, 08:58 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSjind86
post Feb 22 2009, 08:58 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

GQ Rules
From our fashion team, timeless bits of style wisdom to live by..

Click for 25 essential tips, secrets, and shortcuts guaranteed to improve your style..

http://men.style.com/gq/features/slideshow/v/110905GQRULES

This post has been edited by jind86: Feb 22 2009, 09:08 PM
TSjind86
post Feb 22 2009, 09:01 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF STYLE
There are a few hard-and-fast rules for dressing well. Master these and you will possess the building blocks of great taste..

Thou shalt match your socks with your suit—and nine other sacred style imperatives..

http://men.style.com/gq/features/slideshow...806COMMANDMENTS

This post has been edited by jind86: Feb 22 2009, 09:07 PM
TSjind86
post Feb 22 2009, 09:07 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

there's a clearer picture of the "roll up your sleeves the Italian way" here =)
choyster
post Feb 22 2009, 11:14 PM

Regular
1,802 posts

i think you should pin this
TSjind86
post Feb 22 2009, 11:39 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

yeah i'd possibly pin this up, but later, there's no worries bout it getting buried at the moment.. guys feel free to share articles/readings here =)
hanhanhan
post Feb 23 2009, 12:00 AM

(͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)
1,142 posts

(i dont really know how to tie a tie so just sharing what i've learnt so far.. )

To tie the Half Windsor Knot, select a necktie of your choice and stand in front of a mirror. Then simply follow the steps below:

user posted image
1) Start with the wide end ("W") of your necktie on the right, extending about 12 inches below the narrow end ("N") on the left.

user posted image
2) Then cross the wide end over the narrow end.

user posted image
3) Bring the wide end around and behind the narrow end.

user posted image
4) Then bring the wide end up.

user posted image
5) Pull the wide end through the loop and to the right.

user posted image
6) Bring the wide end around front, over the narrow end from right to left.

user posted image
7) Again, bring the wide end up and through the loop.

user posted image
8) Then, bring the wide end down through the knot in front.

user posted image
9) And -- using both hands -- tighten the knot carefully and draw it up to the collar.

from http://www.tie-a-tie.net/halfwindsor.html

This post has been edited by hanhanhan: Feb 23 2009, 12:01 AM
hanhanhan
post Feb 23 2009, 12:13 PM

(͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)
1,142 posts

tips for us young adults about ties.. (something i just learnt as well.. my dad only taught me the windsor knot and i've been using it thru high school until now. haha)

user posted image

SHARP DRESSED MAN
Jim Moore, GQ Creative Director

"LeBron is doing something that a lot of guys do, which is a bit of a no, but I can understand why he did it. First of all the suit looks beautiful. I think it fits him really well. I think that his shirt and tie is probably a little bit old-manish for him. I like the French-cuff shirt, I love the cut of the shirt. Again, it looks like it’s a two-button, the grey looks fantastic on him. The width of the lapel is great. The shoulders aren’t too wide. I would just maybe – if he wanted to stay with a spread-collar shirt, maybe just do a darker tie with it and he should also be tying a four-in-hand knot not a windsor. He’s tying a knot that’s basically for – a windsor knot is basically for people over 50. It’s not even an age thing, it’s just a very old-fashioned thing. He should just tie it once around and through. I think what a lot of these guys are trying to do is create this bigger knot. Someone like LeBron, again a young guy, can go with a slim tie. The width of the tie seems great, I just don’t know if I would do this kind of pastel thing, because it looks a little businessy and a little older than he portrays himself."

from nba.com
hanhanhan
post Feb 23 2009, 12:19 PM

(͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)
1,142 posts

just some diff collars on shirts n how to match ties with it..

user posted image

The Traditional Collar is the collar that you will find on most "standard" or store bought shirts. Although you can wear a neck tie with a Windsor or Half Windsor Knot, this collar has a smaller spread and is ideal for a Four In Hand Knot. A Traditional Collar with a neck tie using a Four In Hand Knot is a basic style that is very common with American executives. If you are not wearing a neck tie, there will be a slight spread with the collar but it should still be comfortable to wear.

user posted image

The Tab Collar is business collar and can only be worn with a neck tie. When determining the size of the tab to be used, we factor in the size of the Neck itself. We will normally cut smaller Necks with a 3/4" tab and larger Necks with a 1" tab. That gives the customer enough flexibility to choose the Tie Knot that is most appropriate. If you want to "squeeze" the tab sides together a Four In Hand Knot is probably most appropriate.

user posted image

The Button Down Collar is as traditional as it gets. The Button Down Collar can be worn with a Neck Tie or it can be worn without in a more casual style. Because of the way the collar adjusts, you can wear any Tie Knot that you want but this would be another collar where a Four In Hand Knot is probably most appropriate. In a twist to the traditional Button Down Collar, we also offer an Inside Button Down Collar where the buttons are on the inside of the collar (invisible) and attach to a tab on the inside. What you end up with is similar to a Tab Collar where the collar halves are held down. You can see this Collar below.

user posted image

The Pin Collar - Straight Collar is another business collar where the neck tie gets squeezed between the collar halves. Instead of using a tab to achieve that, a pair of holes are are cut into the collar so that a Tie Pin can be thread between the halves and keep the spread small. The Tie Pin has to be purchased by you, we do not sell or provide them. This collar is not appropriate for wear without a neck tie. The type of knot that you use is up to you and the size of your Tie Pin, but a Four In Hand Knot is probably best.

user posted image

The Quarter Spread Collar is one of the larger spread collars that we offer, this is sometimes considered a more "European" collar. The Quarter Spread Collar is halfway between the Traditional Collar (little spread) and the Half Spread. On a Quarter Spread Collar it is more appropriate to use a Windsor Knot or a Half Windsor Knot. The fullness of these knots is going to help cover some of the spread at the Neck. These collars can be worn without a neck tie but you might find that the collar points will hang up on your collar bones and make the back of the Neck of your collar not rest flush with your Neck, but instead will bow out away from the back of your Neck.

user posted image

The Half Spread Collar has the largest spread that we offer, this is sometimes considered a more "European" collar. The Half Spread is cut so the spread looks somewhat vertical on your shirt. On a Half Spread Collar it is more appropriate to use a Windsor Knot or a Half Windsor Knot. The fullness of these knots is going to help cover some of the spread at the Neck. These collars can be worn without a neck tie but you might find that the collar points will hang up on your collar bones and make the back of the Neck of your collar not rest flush with your Neck, but instead will bow out away from the back of your Neck.

user posted image

The Inside Button Down Collar is the same as the standard Button Down Collar except the buttons are placed inside the collar. A tab is also added to the inside of the collar so that they can attach to the buttons. This way you can have the collar stay in the same position as the Traditional Collar but have the collar points stay close to the shoulder blades at all times. This collar is another option if you like the Tab Collar but do not like to "squeeze" the two halves of the collar together.

user posted image

The Small Spread Collar is another unique collar, it has very little spread with the collar halves coming almost straight down. The edges of the collar are rounded for a softer look. Their is a small space at the top of the collar for wearing a neck tie. This shirt should be worn with a neck tie. This collar is sometimes called a "Soprano Collar" or "Mafia Collar" or even a "Continental Collar" because it is worn on the European Continent.

from http://www.execshirts.com/dress-shirt-collars.htm
TSjind86
post Feb 25 2009, 04:51 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

HOW TO BUY A LEATHER JACKET
A leather jacket is a long-term investment, so study up..

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slideshow/v/071508LEATHER
TSjind86
post Feb 25 2009, 05:55 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

HOW TO BRING YOUR BUSINESS WARDROBE IN UNDER BUDGET
Hard times? No sweat..

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slideshow/v/021609BIZ
hanhanhan
post Feb 26 2009, 12:46 AM

(͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)
1,142 posts

just some short guideline i read from AUGUST MEN on buttoning blazer..

"sometimes first

always second

never third"

erm.. they meant the buttons..
TSjind86
post Feb 26 2009, 01:47 AM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

yes hanhanhan, it is a rule to always leave the lowest button undone..

Why do men never button the bottom button of your suit, sports jacket, vest or Cardigan sweater?

King Edward VII, “Bertie”, son of Victoria (1841 – 1910, King 1901 - 1910) was so heavy that he could not get the bottom button fastened on his vest or to be more historically kind, maybe he just forgot. His subjects taking it as a fashion statement followed his lead and today most men’s suits, sports jackets or vests are not designed to button the bottom button. The tradition of not buttoning the bottom button may have also come from the early waistcoats, which were very long. It may have been out of necessity of being able to walk that the bottom buttons were left undone.

This post has been edited by jind86: Feb 26 2009, 01:48 AM
Calvin Seak
post Feb 26 2009, 08:59 AM

Hiring, TTDI, KL only
2,367 posts

Put "toe taps" on your leather-soled dress shoes. They will significantly increase the shoes’ life span.

Where do i get "Toe taps" in Malaysia
TSjind86
post Feb 26 2009, 12:40 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

QUOTE(Calvin Seak @ Feb 26 2009, 08:59 AM)
Put "toe taps" on your leather-soled dress shoes. They will significantly increase the shoes’ life span.

Where do i get "Toe taps" in Malaysia
go to any good cobblers, i did mine in Bangsar Shopping Complex, there is a cobbler at the lowest ground.. but mine is placed with a thin layer of rubber underneath the shoe, it will give adequate protection as well as grip.. cost around RM50..

three important points on how to take care of your dress shoes:

1) always use a shoe tree when you are not wearing your shoes (it will help preserve its shape and increase life span)
2) put toe taps / rubber taps on your shoes (protects the shoe and for the rubber material, it will provide more grip)
3) polish your shoes regularly (restore the appearance of leather shoes and extending the footwear's life)

-Jin

This post has been edited by jind86: Feb 26 2009, 07:17 PM
TSjind86
post Feb 26 2009, 07:22 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

Slim ties can be used for both formal and casual wear. Unless you’re a hard-core fashion guy who favors a super-skinny tie, stick with one that measures about two and a half to three inches at its widest point. It will be narrower than traditional ties, but not by too much. Tie one on and you’ll look modern and sophisticated.

I've actually had a number of people come up to me and go "Hey Jin, are slim ties suitable for office wear?". Yes they are, most guys mistaken slim for skinny ties; those are only suitable for casual wear and not for professional use, anything around 2 inches is categorized under skinny and any thinner will be followed by super-skinny.

Example of a slim tie:

user posted image

How could you say the guy above does not look professional in his slim tie? =)

-Jin

This post has been edited by jind86: Mar 4 2009, 09:34 PM
netmatrix
post Feb 27 2009, 01:59 AM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Well the guys is well built and he has a model'esque face. Which many of us are not. I don't dig the hipster pants though. Those are either for hip hoppers or jeans wearers. Flat front pants are a must, because if you use pleat it would create fat girth or fa hip look. A no no.
TSjind86
post Mar 3 2009, 02:01 PM

playboy=)
Group Icon
VIP
1,501 posts

well he is a model thats why lol.. i actually prefer pants to ride on my hips, im still not too used to pants which sits on the waste, so i actually like the look.. but anyways the main focus on the picture is about the tie =)

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:45 PM