Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Tailoring Thread, Bespoke. Nothing beats a perfect fit

views

mofonyx
post Dec 30 2008, 11:50 PM

Squatting is the solution to life's problems
2,394 posts

I don't buy if it doesn't fit.

Which is why I don't shop at Zara and Massimo Dutti. The lengths are just too awkward.

CK, DKNY, Polo RL are brands that fit me exceptionally well.

If you're talking about shirts and trousers, I always get them made.

Added on December 30, 2008, 11:53 pm
QUOTE(Flizzardo @ Dec 30 2008, 07:34 PM)
i alter my jeans because most brand jeans out there have long lenght ... since i am only 173cm so need to shortern the jeans...

anyway tommorow i am going klcc to send 1 of my armani shirt i to alter ... because again same problem body too small... so need to shorten the sleeve...

haish i wish i am abit taller xD maybe 178cm but cant grow already ..already 22....
I'm very particular about jeans alterations. Preferably chain stitching at the end. But then again it's unlikely that you're buying raw selvedge denim so any tailor can do your alterations.

This post has been edited by mofonyx: Dec 30 2008, 11:53 PM
mofonyx
post Jan 13 2009, 01:32 AM

2,394 posts

There's already a tailoring thread if I'm not mistaken.

jind86 started it.
mofonyx
post Jun 24 2012, 06:25 PM

2,394 posts

So, I went to Ah Loke's Tailor, made a shirt, not really a good cut. He needed 2.0m for my length. My previous tailor was a legend but he has left the country, only used 1.6m and made them long so I could tuck it in well. Ah Loke made my shirts a tad shorter than I'm used to so difficult to tuck. Anyway, well fitted top half and very slack bottom half (I have slim waist with broad-ish shoulders). So, very disappointing at the end of the day. Brought it back for him to mend hopefully it turns out 'wearable'

Went to Binwani's at the Curve today. Met with Dennis their 'master cutter'. Excellent guy picked up on nuances I didn't see Ah Loke measuring. My right hand is 0.5in longer than my left hand and Dennis caught on to this. He also measured for a 31.5in length which allows for ample tuck with a 2.0m cloth.

Dennis used to work for Sparkman before they sold (and Sparkman is now only lacklustre at best, possibly because of the new owner?). He knows my previous tailor - Chin of Sire's Tailoring (Bukit Bintang then Cheras). So, good vibes from Dennis hopefully next Sunday when I pick it up it'll be perfect.

This post has been edited by mofonyx: Jun 24 2012, 06:46 PM
mofonyx
post Jun 24 2012, 08:30 PM

2,394 posts

That would be an expensive experience if anyone is going with ALT because it would take several attempts to sort it out. I wouldn't know yet if Dennis @ Binwani's is any better but will report back on Sunday.

I used to criticize Chin for not providing a modern cut but looking back on it he was amazing. Shame he has left the country. I mean the dude used to make long shirts out of 1.6m of fabric and still have left-overs to make handkerchiefs. wtf?
mofonyx
post Jun 24 2012, 10:41 PM

2,394 posts

I wouldn't f*** with a suit but to each their own.

I get stuff altered at Pinky's in Sungei Wang but I guess any tailor could sort you out.
mofonyx
post Jun 27 2012, 03:18 PM

2,394 posts

A good tailor should be able to guide you. I think it's a bit ridiculous that you should need to read up before going. It's like going to the doctor, right?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0422sec    0.57    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:36 PM