Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Tailoring Thread, Bespoke. Nothing beats a perfect fit

views

Meaples
post Feb 16 2019, 05:05 PM

24 posts

Hi guys, long time reader here.

Just wanted to ask:
Old Red Eyes, niakulah, judging by your previous posts, tailored shirts around KL would be Rm150 - RM350+ depending on fabric/tailor.

1. How much would the price change if you bring your own shirting fabric or heavily customise your shirt (collars/buttons/fit/etc)?

2. Are there any local/foreign sites you usually purchase your favorite shirting fabric from (or suit/pants) and are there any specific shirting fabrics you would recommend for daily use? I like thicker weaves that crease less over plain poplin types but linen is always welcome in our weather.

For reference, I tend to wear Hawes&Curtis shirts on a daily basis and getting them for about RM165 (sale/etc) is very competitive as I my fit is quite close to their dummy model size smile.gif.

On an unrelated note, I've had alot of luck finding respectable suits in Genting Premier Oulet from Sacoor. Arguably, their house fabric/fused suits are quite run-off-the-mill but sometimes they have collaborations with other fabric houses. I've got 2 suits with them, half canvassed with 150s Loro Piana and Zegna traveller for about 1k each (with pants).

If you are in the EU, Foxtown and the Armani outlet near the border of Italy/Switzerland are my best shops, where I managed to get some really nice armani suits that were not at wallet smashing prices. Unfortunately as above, I kinda fit the dummy profile so I don't require too much altering tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Meaples: Feb 16 2019, 05:09 PM
Meaples
post Mar 2 2019, 02:55 AM

24 posts

Hey niakulah and Old Red Eyes, thanks very much for the input.

Will take heed on your recommendations moving forward.

Looks like it was close to my suspicions about just buying a good OTR shirt and having it altered here. Rather unfortunate that our tailors don't stand up to the italians sad.gif.

Old Red Eyes, in regards to the suits I bought at GPO. I was actually surprised Sacoor even produced suits with such fabric! Note that the cut is not comparable to a solid Emporio or Giorgio Armani but definitely serviceable for daily wear. The half canvas was a plus as well.

As mentioned, I haven't done a full canvas tailored suit as I fit quite close to most chain's dummy profile so I can't really compare what the differences are sadly.
Meaples
post Mar 3 2019, 08:28 PM

24 posts

niakulah nearly spit out my drink reading that.
Meaples
post Mar 4 2019, 07:26 PM

24 posts

I think it's a mixture of our non-suit (due to hot weather) culture and low emphasis on personal dressing from young that contributes to this.

Most of the population won't even have an occasion to wear a suit since it's quite a high affair sort of thing and our weather is just too hot for outside wear.

Which begs the question why none of the Malaysian tailors or brands have purpose built hot weather suits with extremely breathable fabrics. Stuff like unstructured linen blazers should be pushed to market compared to fused wool suits imo.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0344sec    0.54    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:37 PM