Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Sunglasses Thread

views

Jason
post Jul 15 2010, 12:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(hitokai @ Jul 14 2010, 01:00 PM)
any recommendation for oakley with sharper edge and smaller frame which give you those SHARP look when suit up with a blazer like tis... ( bookworms look )
get some ray bans, wayfarers maybe. oakley is anything but sharp. and oakley sucks. and before you oakley fanboys say anything, I own 4 oakleys, Oakley Splice J.P Montoya L.E., Juliet Ducati w S/N, Dartboard and Straight Jacket. and I can tell you they suck badly, the coating on the lens will flake and the color on the frame will come off, on both X-Metal and plastic. and its gone from bad to worst after being bought out by Luxottica.

look at Rayban (also owned by Luxottica, but doesn't suck like oakley), Revo and Bolle.
Jason
post Sep 11 2010, 12:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

i found a new love.. Serengeti.. photo-chromatic glass lens..oh boy oh boy i have to get it. not fashion sunglasses, so not popular... but widely used in aviation..
Jason
post Feb 21 2011, 04:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(Them_Me_You @ Feb 15 2011, 08:10 PM)
Guys,
Do you know price for Polarized/Un-polarized Oakley Hijinx in Malaysia?
don't so lazy la.. any shopping mall also got what..

muaz_152: that shop's rayban original?
Jason
post Feb 21 2011, 06:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(goliath @ Feb 21 2011, 04:30 PM)
He's in Australia. Hence, he asked the question to compare the price.
my bad.

between the two, take the rayban. i own 4 pairs of oakleys, they are not worth it.
Jason
post Mar 30 2011, 11:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Mar 2 2011, 05:10 PM)
My Oakley polarized lenses start to chip after 2 years, some more never wore just left them in drawer. 2 pairs down the drain...

If observe carefully, the part where the lenses touch the frame also chips. Either the polarized layer or the UV coating starts to come off. Personally, I just think the lenses will degrade by itself.

These are genuine Oakley customs, made to order when I was in the US.
it is the iridium lens flaking off. it happens to normal Oakley lens as well. my Ducati Juliet and Dartboard also kena. rubbish honestly.

QUOTE(MeToo @ Mar 2 2011, 06:49 PM)
Does this happen to only polarized lenses? Cause my 20 yrs old rayban aviator looks just as good as new
All Oakley lens are plastic/polycarbonate. their iridium coating which may/may not flake off. I ain't paying that much money to gamble whether it flakes or not

QUOTE(RedShirt @ Mar 3 2011, 03:53 PM)
I have a question, do they sell Rayban with prescription lenses ?
I am short-sighted and I do not intend to wear contact lenses.

Would the lenses be absurdly thick ?
they do not sell Rayban with Rayban prescription lenses in Malaysia. you can however buy Rayban frame and use whatever prescription lens the shop offers.

QUOTE(ryanliew87 @ Mar 6 2011, 11:46 PM)
hye doesn any1 know where to get an EVISU glasses in KL ??? if can roughly how much is the price ??? thx
EVISU got Made in China & Made in Japan frames.. both are original, but clearly Japan is better IMO.

QUOTE(MrTaxxi @ Mar 7 2011, 05:43 PM)
What eyewear store doesn't rip people off? Wanna find a lens replacement. Paris miki, worthy?
original lens, prescription lens? more details would help.

QUOTE(isaaccsloh @ Mar 30 2011, 12:47 AM)
Hi guys, found one Serengeti. design look alike RayBan classic look. Nice to try out.
Serengeti has very nice frames, but I believe most, if not all of their lens are photo-chromatic. useful for outdoor/on foot use, utterly useless when driving.
Jason
post Jul 4 2011, 04:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(babytensai @ Jun 23 2011, 11:24 PM)
Seriously, I do not noe how to choose a suitable pair of sunglasse. There are so many around in da market, wired, thick frame, frameless, silicon frames, frog eyes, square lens, oversized frames, etc, and waterer they call da rest. Can anyone recommend any shop dat is good and and offers consultancy on sunglasses selection? Coz as wat I see, evey optical store does help their customers in sunglasse selection but which shop is better in terms of matching the suitable sunglasse to the correct face shape or person?
why you want the shop to match the glasses to your face or you? YOU should know YOURSELF best. YOU define YOUR style. try a bunch of sunglasses and look in the mirror and see which one YOU like best.

it doesn't matter what anybody says, i might say ABC looks nice for your face, but if you don't have a high enough nose to wear it nicely then its a moot point.

QUOTE(debigwan @ Jun 25 2011, 08:13 PM)
guys, need some opinion here. Is Knockaround and Vans shades are good? I mean in terms of quality. The design is nice, im just curious about the quality.
Knockaround looks like cheap toys, fashion shades. Vans make rather good shoes don't know about the glasses. Oakley has crap quality, can't go wrong with Rayban (despite being abang adik with Oakley), Revo has very good lens, Serengeti is the choice of the Pope (holy choice?).

Glass lens will be optically superior to polycarbonate/plastic/Oakley, at the cost of being heavier (its not that much heavier really).

If you're looking for a timeless sunglasses, look no further than the Rayban Aviator 3025. Its affordable, and people who can afford more still choose it. Tom Cruise, King of Pop, Hugh Jackman, Julia Roberts etc. Oh and the allegedly most powerful man in the world -- POTUS wears a Ray Ban 3217.
Jason
post Jul 8 2011, 04:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(shretheher @ Jul 7 2011, 01:35 AM)
bleh tak klau sunglasses tu kita letak power.macam saya rabun jauh kanan kiri 400++.
klau bleh buat,agak brape hargenya ya? cool2.gif
price varies based on what lens you choose
Jason
post Dec 16 2011, 10:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Dec 14 2011, 09:15 PM)
I jsut got myself and Oakley half jacket at Oakley direct outlet shop for RM410 is that consider a good price (not in malaysia btw)

I am wearing glasses so I am actually planing to get the rx glass for my half jacket. My power is only on one side of my eye.

How much do i expect to pay for the prescription glass in Black iridium + polarisation? Do i need to send it to oakley factory usa to do it?
for authentic oakley lens, yes you need to order from oakley itself.
Jason
post Dec 17 2011, 09:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

prescription? no idea.. i bought replacement oakley juliet polarized lens for ~300

oh yah oakley sucks biggrin.gif
Jason
post Jul 11 2012, 01:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(fulanker79 @ Jul 1 2012, 02:13 PM)
Hi guys! First time posting in this thread.

Was cleaning store room and found my dad's old Cartier aviator sunglasses. On the nose bridge, it says 1983 with 59 16 under the year. Still looks new. The leather case looks good. Just some normal wear and tear. Nothing major. Planning to change the lens as these ones have power. What color looks good on a gold frame? Am thinking brown, but gray looks good too.. hmm.gif Getting the two-toned/gradient type.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

wow. that's an awesome find.
user posted image

that's the color combo i like.. i have the aviator..misplaced it somewhere cry.gif

This post has been edited by Jason: Jul 11 2012, 01:26 PM
Jason
post Oct 1 2012, 05:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(shankar_dass93 @ Oct 1 2012, 12:22 AM)
Greetings guys, im planning to get a pair of Rayban sunglasses. Which optical shop would you guys recommend me to go around KL that has a variety of Rayban models ?
Proeyes, good service and wide range of choice.
Jason
post Oct 2 2012, 12:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(shankar_dass93 @ Oct 1 2012, 10:09 PM)
Where is it located at bro ?

Btw guys, whats your opinion on rayban's RB3445 ?
http://www.proeyesstudio.com/

put the rayban on and see how it fits on your face.
Jason
post Nov 8 2012, 04:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(hihihehe @ Oct 27 2012, 03:44 PM)

i like this model but it's a folding sunglasses. not sure if it's reliable than non-folding

if you have the choice, ill you choose folding or non-folding?
there's only one aviator, the RB3025. everything else is a copy cat. get the real deal.
i miss mine, sniff. left it somewhere cry.gif gonna buy one soon.
Jason
post Nov 30 2012, 04:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(AveoHzq @ Nov 30 2012, 02:48 PM)
So many fake raybans now. Some look exactly like original ones priced at 100-150. How reliable are these sunglasses actually?
Your eyes worth 100-150 you can go ahead and buy. Fake shit probably have fake UV protection too. icon_rolleyes.gif
Jason
post May 27 2013, 07:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(yonggoh @ May 27 2013, 06:19 PM)
latest haul thats in tune with this silly Steve McQueen wannabe phase I'm going through...

Persol 714 in tortoise and blue lens smile.gif
looks great, now get a Tag Monaco to go with it. Or you have it already?
Jason
post May 31 2013, 04:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(nxtpg @ May 31 2013, 04:02 PM)
need some recommendations
need to purchase 2 SG for me n wife since willl be needing them after doing the lasik eye corrrection.

never used one before...only clip on since using glasses

any online site which is honest/genuine?
budget rm1k for both

or any place in penang to get it?

checked out a shop at sunshine square today for a ck ladies SG ... rm350 after 30% less. According to the salesgirl. its the latest collection for ladies. Nearly bought it but there was a scratch and they dont have other stock!
Buy in shop. Why?
Put it on and try. Because some people nose high, some people no nose, some people fat cheeks, some people skinny face. So best is to try it on for yourself. Otherwise you might buy something that don't fit you.

For your purpose (protection), its better to get something that covers your eyes completely. For example, a Rayban Wayfarer will allow sunlight to hit your eyes from the top of the sunglasses. Something like an Oakley Straight Jacket will cover everything.

Bolle, Maui Jim, Revo are good brands to consider, of course Rayban. Oakley these days not that "tahan lasak", the plastic frames easily lose their color.
Jason
post Jun 11 2013, 06:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(sufian29 @ Jun 8 2013, 03:48 PM)
Hey guys i am looking to buy a pair of sunglasses. Is there a way to tell what shape of the frame would fit my face the best?
Yes, by putting it on your face.

QUOTE(sufian29 @ Jun 10 2013, 09:50 PM)
Police brand got like around rm 500 one ah?
Not worth it.

QUOTE(Imsilly @ Jun 11 2013, 12:05 PM)
Anyone know where I can get a good selection of brands( MCQ,Persol etc) for a reasonable price in the Klang Valley?
Proeyes. They have many outlets in shopping malls.
Jason
post Oct 8 2013, 10:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(0 Replies to me (BETA) @ Sep 23 2013, 07:35 PM)
recently searching for a good pair of plastic-framed polarized shades with rm1k budget
was hell-bent on getting a rb wayfarer, after testing many other models, end up with a pair of Maui Jim Voyager instead tongue.gif
never heard of the brand before, but really fell in love with the design and fit. no regrets  thumbup.gif

user posted image
how much and where you got it? Maui Jim got very good lens, way better than Wayfarer. Also the Wayfarer fit may not suit everyone. I have New Wayfarer cause the original don't suit me.
Jason
post Oct 9 2013, 02:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(0 Replies to me (BETA) @ Oct 9 2013, 11:10 AM)
If im not mistaken the price is rm730. Bought at focus point signature, mid valley

One thing about the wayfarer that irks me is the huge gap at the corner of the eyes  blush.gif may i know why u say maui jim has better lens?
All Maui Jim lens are polarized. Wayfarer, you've got to pay more for the polarized ones. Also the build of Wayfarer isn't that good, there's some creak/give to the frame, not as rigid as I have hoped.

RM730 after discount? Also quite expensive. I saw some Maui Jim at the same store for RM6xx before discount.
Jason
post Oct 9 2013, 05:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,704 posts

QUOTE(0 Replies to me (BETA) @ Oct 9 2013, 04:08 PM)
Yeah quite expensive. I think if buy online cheaper.. but that time i was too lazy and no time to shop around.
wah got that price ah? same model? jilaka i dah kena ketuk la ni  sad.gif
Not your model bro, other models.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.37    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th December 2022 - 09:43 AM