10 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Stolen Laptops, Stories, Precautions, Anti-Theft Tech

views

deentk_1987
post Nov 19 2008, 12:57 PM

Casual
328 posts

Is any ideas you can share on how to avoid laptop thief? I know to prevent it so hard, but at least we can protect our laptop from being stolen.

The tragic loss of my beloved laptop has leave a huge huge huge trauma to me. cry.gif

It's like a nightmare u know.

I swear the next semester it won't happen again for the second time.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I SWEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by deentk_1987: Nov 19 2008, 01:00 PM
zzzxtreme
post Nov 19 2008, 12:59 PM

Synth Freak
4,282 posts

my friend now keeps his laptop and camera in kitchen cabinet after he lost one in his apartment.

i guess it COULD help prevent it from being found
TSgyver
post Nov 19 2008, 02:17 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

QUOTE(zzzxtreme @ Nov 19 2008, 10:28 AM)
i have this idea

why don't i write somekind of software to do this

1) on windows start, the program will load invisibly and capture user image with webcam and save on disk

2) then the program will try to email the image file periodically to a specified email , also invisibly
Criteria -
1) Your windows login is not password protected
2) I will only do testing with windows XP
any thoughts & suggestions guys?
Just for people who are interested to beta test this software please refer to this thread

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/850174

Added on November 19, 2008, 2:20 pm
QUOTE(zzzxtreme @ Nov 19 2008, 12:59 PM)
my friend now keeps his laptop and camera in kitchen cabinet after he lost one in his apartment.

i guess it COULD help prevent it from being found
My neighbor keeps it in a large "periuk" in his kitchen. It must be the thick one. It really works according to him.

If this REALLY works then business and techie people will have a "periuk" at the back of their car. rclxm9.gif

This post has been edited by gyver: Nov 19 2008, 02:20 PM
DaRust
post Nov 19 2008, 02:47 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

Since u guys mention it, next the thief will look at the kitchen and the periuk as well.
TSgyver
post Nov 19 2008, 11:06 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

QUOTE(DaRust @ Nov 19 2008, 02:47 PM)
Since u guys mention it, next the thief will look at the kitchen and the periuk as well.
This is to hinder the scanning by the laptop detector. The thickness of the metal can block the RF scanner somehow. The burglars do not hit houses or cars at random, but use this new technology that people are talking about. But when I go to pasar road and ask around, no where to be found. So you must be the in crowd to purchase one me thinks.
ycl90
post Nov 20 2008, 03:59 AM

Getting Started
241 posts

This thread should be a good warning to everyone with laptops..
TSgyver
post Nov 20 2008, 08:59 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

Taken from http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/thinking-ahead-to...op-theft/153204

Prevent Laptop Theft

1. Mark your laptop

Marking your laptop helps with the recovery of a stolen (or lost) laptop. Either engrave your information onto your laptop or use a tamper-resistant asset tag. After all, the best proof that something is yours is your name right there on the stolen item.

You can use an engraving tool to literally carve your name and contact information on your laptop.

Some clever folks merely write their names inside the laptop, either on the back of some removable door, inside the battery compartment, or other places a thief probably wouldn't think to check. Use a Sharpie or other indelible marker.

You can get asset tags from most print shops. The tags peel and stick like any sticker, but you can't easily remove or damage them.

2. Don't use an obvious laptop carrying case

That carrying case with the emblazoned Dell logo (or IBM logo, or what have you) isn't just a proud buyer appreciation/marketing gimmick. The custom laptop case tells the casual thief that something valuable lurks inside.

In contrast to a loud-and-proud custom laptop case, a non-descript, soft laptop case doesn't draw undo attention to your computer. Backpacks also make good places to store laptops.

3. Register the laptop and its software

Be sure to send in your laptop's registration card, as well as the registration for any software that you use. If someone steals the laptop, alert the manufacturer and software vendors. Hopefully, they care enough so that if someone using your stolen laptop ever tries to get the system fixed or upgraded, your registration information helps you locate the purloined laptop.

This trick assumes that the person fencing the laptop doesn't fully erase the hard drive.

Be sure to keep a copy of the laptop's serial number and other vital statistics with you, specifically in a place other than the laptop's carrying case. That way, you know which number to report to the police, as well as the manufacturer.

4. Be mindful of your environment

When you're out and about with your laptop, stay aware of where your computer is and who may have access to it. Watch your laptop!

For example, when dining out, put the laptop in its case beneath the table. If you need to leave the table, either take the laptop with you or ask your friends to keep an eye on it for you.

Be especially mindful of distractions! A commotion in front of you means that the thief about to take your laptop is behind you. A commotion behind you means the thief is in front of you. Thieves work in pairs or groups that way, using the commotion to distract you while they steal your stuff.

5. The old ball and chain

Your laptop probably comes with a hole or slot into which you can connect a security cable. That hole has an official name - the Universal Security Slot (or USS).

The USS is designed to be part of the laptop's case. A thief can't remove from the laptop any cable or security device that you thread through the USS; he or she can only cut (or unlock) the cable itself to free the laptop.

Obviously, the USS works best when you have the laptop in a stationery place. Like a bicycle lock, you have to park the laptop by something big and stable, then thread the cable through that big thing and the USS for the lock to work.

The best place to find a security cable for your laptop is in a computer or office supply store.

Some cables come with alarms. You can find alarms that sound when someone cuts the cable, plus alarms that sound when anyone moves the laptop.

Added on November 20, 2008, 9:36 pmBig companies really know how to sell us consumers a false sense of security. These are a few example videos of how to defeat bullshit and expensive devices...

Open a Targus Defcon in 15 seconds

Open Kensington Lock with cardboard

Open Kensington Lock with screwdriver

So you still want to buy these devices?

Yes, I know that the cables can be easily cut by a wire cutter too smile.gif

But this is too much laugh.gif

This post has been edited by gyver: Nov 20 2008, 09:43 PM
kllam
post Nov 23 2008, 10:05 AM

Regular
1,228 posts

i think the best is not to leave a laptop unattended...

i carry mine with me anywhere i go... even for a short while

fedoracore
post Nov 23 2008, 01:32 PM

Getting Started
257 posts

yup. always carry it with you. now so many cases of stolen laptops. scare le.
zzzxtreme
post Nov 24 2008, 11:38 AM

Synth Freak
4,282 posts

is there a keningston lock for use in car?
deentk_1987
post Nov 24 2008, 06:59 PM

Casual
328 posts

QUOTE(kllam @ Nov 23 2008, 10:05 AM)
i think the best is not to leave a laptop unattended...

i carry mine with me anywhere i go... even for a short while
it's all my mistake........
if i can bring my laptop everywhere, this shouldn't be happen....... cry.gif

OUCH!!![/COLOR] sad.gif

Added on November 27, 2008, 5:49 pmspeaking about to prevent laptop thief........

between backpack with laptop bag which one is safer?

This post has been edited by deentk_1987: Nov 27 2008, 05:49 PM
TSgyver
post Nov 30 2008, 11:54 AM

Regular
1,067 posts

QUOTE(zzzxtreme @ Nov 24 2008, 11:38 AM)
is there a keningston lock for use in car?
I am also searching for good Kensington lock. They say the new ones are not easily breakable. Then if put laptop in car also can lock to the seats or if at the boot can lock to the spare tires iron bars or something like that.

BTW I stumbled on this item - solid aluminium case.

http://www.lps2u.com/shop/index.php?main_p...products_id=947

Do you think it will block the laptop scanning device. I don't know about the built in lock but this item looks like it can easily be fastened to a fixture at the handle point with a chain lock.
skybrite
post Dec 1 2008, 03:21 PM

1 posts

BEWARE! Nowadays there are sleek car lock hackers. They jammed the driver's side car lock first - to bypass the alarm. Then they pick the back door lock. No sound. No smashing windows.

Done when I was having dinner at KFC Wangsa Maju.

Report to the police station reveals there were more than 10 cases that same night around KL area w same modus.

V3000
post Dec 1 2008, 10:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,047 posts

QUOTE(skybrite @ Dec 1 2008, 03:21 PM)
BEWARE! Nowadays there are sleek car lock hackers. They jammed the driver's side car lock first - to bypass the alarm. Then they pick the back door lock. No sound. No smashing windows.

Done when I was having dinner at KFC Wangsa Maju.

Report to the police station reveals there were more than 10 cases that same night around KL area w same modus.
OMG! blink.gif
Hackezkk
post Dec 1 2008, 11:50 PM

~::CiPan'S LovEr::~
1,959 posts

damn not save anymore to live in this world
huhuuh
TSgyver
post Dec 2 2008, 11:25 AM

Regular
1,067 posts

Now is school holidays, so beware of house break in also. Modus operandi to break in during the day since no one at home.

They will first come and scan in the 1st week to find which house have Wifi AP so definitely have more than 1 computer or laptop. Lookout for suspicious cars with 100% tint going around your area and stopping by next to your house or your neighbor. If you go out to them, they will move on quickly.

Yes I do not feel safe anymore living in my area. If get more money have to move to gated community. Safer I think.
madstone
post Dec 3 2008, 01:19 PM

BUY 1st REGRET LATER
3,042 posts

One thing better to prevent laptop theft is:-
Put the laptop under something that theif less expected it

for example, put it under your clean clothes
put all the clothes on the bed & slid your laptop under it

OR, may be can put your laptop under your sofa

OR, try put it behind your books in the book rack
TSgyver
post Dec 4 2008, 03:45 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

QUOTE(madstone @ Dec 3 2008, 01:19 PM)
One thing better to prevent laptop theft is:-
Put the laptop under something that theif less expected it

for example, put it under your clean clothes
put all the clothes on the bed & slid your laptop under it

OR, may be can put your laptop under your sofa

OR, try put it behind your books in the book rack
Some good suggestion my friend but in my experience the burglars ransack the whole house. Every inch of the house in 1 hour only. All the clothes they throw to ground, books, whatever.

My honeypot also didn't work. Honeypot meaning, I made a small hiding place that can easily find stuff and put some money, fake jewellry and old broken laptop. People usually say when break house when they find stuff, they will stop and run away because afraid to get caught. These burglars nowadays are too greedy to stop. They will ransack everything. Break down cupboards even. They bring an axe or something like that.

So beware!

We can try this and that. We must try I think or else it's just plain stupid not to. At the end of the day, it all boils down to luck.
somdej1314
post Dec 4 2008, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Nows day, what items u put inside huse, if the thief come they will find all stuff out to glory

SephirothX
post Dec 4 2008, 05:31 PM

Casual
345 posts

I wanna ask if a brand new laptop from any shop we buy, do they activate the bios password? As it means that when I want to access the bios setting, it blocked me. I bought this laptop from a friend, and just wanted to make sure it's not a stolen item. Initially I thought of setting password in bios so that when ppl access my lappy, they can't get the access but now that I can't even access the settings. What do you all think?

10 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0223sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:04 PM