Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

PC Audio Edifier Fan Club V4, where great sound comes to LIFE!

views

JustCallMeBob
post Nov 8 2008, 07:28 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Nov 8 2008, 08:18 PM)
Guys, i have a question. If i use the optical digital cable, can my speaker produce better sound compared to the normal jack cable?
If you use an optical digital cable (or coax) you will be using the DAC (digital to analogue converter) in your speakers (as I'm currently doing now with my S730's from my motherboard). If you use the normal jack cable, you will be using the DAC from either your sound card/motherboard/mp3 player or whatever and sending the analogue signal to the speakers.

The DAC converts digital signals (1's and 0's) into an analogue signal (waves). Mind you, you can easily spend thousands of $USD on quality DAC's.

Try both, let your ears decide.
JustCallMeBob
post Nov 9 2008, 09:30 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Nov 8 2008, 09:32 PM)
If i use the optical cable means, my X-Fi USB will be useless then? icon_question.gif

So which one is better actually in your opinion? The DAC in my speaker or in my X-FI?

And which one is producing better sound for your speaker?
maxizanc, I'm currently using onboard audio to my S730's. I've got a used Audigy 2 ZS coming to me in the mail. I'll also be testing the coaxial (digital) and the analogue outputs and just seeing for myself which one is better. I 'believe' there was minimal difference between my motherboard's analogue and digital. It sounded 'cleaner' to me via digital.

I'll let you know sometime next week if you like.

One other thing is that the quality of your analogue cable could also be a determining factor. A digital cable will either work or not work (ie. on or off) whereas an analogue cable has the potential to 'lose' information. So don't ever get conned into spending more money on a 'brand name' digital cable over another one. Analogue cables... there is a difference between crap and quality.

Which speakers do you have maxizanc?
JustCallMeBob
post Nov 10 2008, 03:36 PM

6 posts

Hi maxizanc, like I said before, there are no 'crap' digital cables or good ones. It will either work or it will not work. If it works, you know your sound quality get any better, no matter how much you spend on the cable. I would personally go for the cheapest one of the required length. Analogue cables are where quality matters.

:-)

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Nov 10 2008, 02:24 PM)
I ask my friend to buy. RM28? Is sit ok? Don't mind if it is a cap ayam one biggrin.gif . Just for a beginner like me.. Is there any difference anyway?
JustCallMeBob
post Nov 12 2008, 09:03 PM

6 posts

Can someone (possibly an Edifier representative) please give me specifications (make/model) on the DAC used in the Edifier S730's?

Thanks smile.gif
JustCallMeBob
post Nov 16 2008, 08:27 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(Edifier @ Nov 13 2008, 12:44 AM)
The s730 using CS8416 chip, a 192 kHz Digital Audio Receiver
Thanks Edifier rep.

:-)

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0309sec    0.31    7 queries    GZIP Disabled