6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Anyone experienced with EPOS speaker?, Discussion on Epos speakers

views

peter32
post Oct 15 2008, 12:10 AM

心旷神怡
1,154 posts

I have lost touch on the latest epos nowadays.

Am having a pair, and still working, Epos ES11, got it 2nd hand in early 90's. Its a very vocal speaker, plenty of mid range for very good human vocals. Currently they are paired with a Vintage Marantz Receiver model 2252. Its still exude warm vocal by the marantz, nicely drive out the epos capability.

I have recently auditioned three models of AV Receivers: Denon old AVR (can't remember the model), Marantz AVR and a NAD 754. Well the latest Marantz still share the same old warm midrange, but NAD is a different league. It really brings out the stereo very well. In that test, Denon fair the worst, but its an old amp selling as 2nd hand anyway.

I have not listened to the newer Epos, not sure about the changes throughout the year. But I was told that its no longer the same.

Sorry my comment may not be relevant to what you guys have discussed.
junchoon
post Oct 15 2008, 03:36 PM

Casual
411 posts

QUOTE(peter32 @ Oct 15 2008, 12:10 AM)
I have lost touch on the latest epos nowadays.

Am having a pair, and still working, Epos ES11, got it 2nd hand in early 90's.  Its a very vocal speaker, plenty of mid range for very good human vocals.  Currently they are paired with a Vintage Marantz Receiver model 2252.  Its still exude warm vocal by the marantz, nicely drive out the epos capability.

I have recently auditioned three models of AV Receivers: Denon old AVR (can't remember the model), Marantz AVR and a NAD 754.  Well the latest Marantz still share the same old warm midrange, but NAD is a different league.  It really brings out the stereo very well.  In that test, Denon fair the worst, but its an old amp selling as 2nd hand anyway.

I have not listened to the newer Epos, not sure about the changes throughout the year.  But I was told that its no longer the same. 

Sorry my comment may not be relevant to what you guys have discussed.
ES11 is a nice pair of speakers, if u have the single wire version with original stands then it is best version available. later they tried to add bi-wire option, but does not sound as nice.

cheers,
wps
brabusm
post Oct 17 2008, 09:07 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(brabusm @ Oct 11 2008, 08:41 PM)
I have a pair of Epos 12.2 that is in very good condition.  Anyone keen?  Am letting it go for RM1,200.
Soled and delivered to one happy new owner complete will all original packaging and "virgin" banana plugs smile.gif
maxovista
post Oct 17 2008, 10:11 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

QUOTE(brabusm @ Oct 17 2008, 09:07 PM)
Soled and delivered to one happy new owner complete will all original packaging and "virgin" banana plugs smile.gif
doh.gif oh no, i miss the boat again whistling.gif <actor of the year award
brabusm
post Oct 18 2008, 02:34 PM

44 posts

Post a picture smile.gif
maxovista
post Oct 18 2008, 08:11 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

user posted image biggrin.gif gREat stuff, beautiful to look at, and beautiful sound as well...

just wondering, wat will happen if i use a sandfill up stands?need to read something about it tonite..

This post has been edited by maxovista: Oct 19 2008, 01:44 AM
car_o_scope
post Oct 19 2008, 06:36 PM

Cars & HiFi fever!!
1,829 posts

Just wondering you guys place the ES11 near to wall or away from wall? Mind sharing, anyone? unsure.gif
Y.C.
post Oct 19 2008, 07:10 PM

Casual listener
906 posts

Epos loudspeakers work best with their open frame stands which are light yet rigid. Sandfill the stands and they will sound slow and lethargic, the lightening speed and attack (Epos magic) when driven by Naim and Exposure electronics will be sorely missing.

They also need to be placed quite close to the rear wall for bass response and they are not designed as free standing loudspeakers in the first place.

QUOTE(maxovista @ Oct 18 2008, 08:11 PM)
just wondering, wat will happen if i use a sandfill up stands?need to read something about it tonite..
This post has been edited by Y.C.: Oct 19 2008, 07:12 PM
peter32
post Oct 19 2008, 11:44 PM

心旷神怡
1,154 posts

ES11 is best placed from 6 inches to 10 inches from the wall. As mentioned, it comes with its small frame speaker stands.

Some enthusiast placed the bass unit on top, ie. placed the speaker upside down, which 'may' enhanced the listening experience.

car_o_scope
post Oct 20 2008, 11:55 AM

Cars & HiFi fever!!
1,829 posts

Yes. I am using the original thin, light open frame speaker stands for the ES 11. Worried that the bass will be boomy if placing them near the rear walls.
maxovista
post Oct 20 2008, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

QUOTE(Y.C. @ Oct 19 2008, 07:10 PM)
Epos loudspeakers work best with their open frame stands which are light yet rigid. Sandfill the stands and they will sound slow and lethargic, the lightening speed and attack (Epos magic) when driven by Naim and Exposure electronics will be sorely missing.

They also need to be placed quite close to the rear wall for bass response and they are not designed as free standing loudspeakers in the first place.
Thanks for the tip...have not filling anything yet inside my stands!(not using the open frame stand)
Y.C.
post Oct 20 2008, 04:42 PM

Casual listener
906 posts

Do try out the placement of your Epos ES11 to get to the sound you like; if they are placed too near the rear wall, they will sound boomy and you will also lose the soundstage. I had positioned my former ES11/ES12 approximately 18" from the rear wall.

If not mistaken, The Hifi Shop in 1-U is selling the locally made open frame stands.

Added on October 20, 2008, 8:27 pm
I personally have yet to come across any Epos users placing their speaker cabinets upside down. The metal dome tweeters of Epos do not induce listening fatigue and the appropriate word to describe them is 'sweet sounding'; they should be placed on the same plane as our ears when we sit down in the listening position.

QUOTE(peter32 @ Oct 19 2008, 11:44 PM)
ES11 is best placed from 6 inches to 10 inches from the wall.  As mentioned, it comes with its small frame speaker stands.

Some enthusiast placed the bass unit on top, ie. placed the speaker upside down, which 'may' enhanced the listening experience.

This post has been edited by Y.C.: Oct 20 2008, 08:27 PM
car_o_scope
post Oct 20 2008, 09:10 PM

Cars & HiFi fever!!
1,829 posts

QUOTE(Y.C. @ Oct 20 2008, 04:42 PM)
Do try out the placement of your Epos ES11 to get to the sound you like; if they are placed too near the rear wall, they will sound boomy and you will also lose the soundstage. I had positioned my former ES11/ES12 approximately 18" from the rear wall.

If not mistaken, The Hifi Shop in 1-U is selling the locally made open frame stands.

Added on October 20, 2008, 8:27 pm
I personally have yet to come across any Epos users placing their speaker cabinets upside down. The metal dome tweeters of Epos do not induce listening fatigue and the appropriate word to describe them is 'sweet sounding'; they should be placed on the same plane as our ears when we sit down in the listening position.
I read from magazines that the tweeter shd be at the level of our ears. I do place my ES11 half a meter away from the rear wall. I am slowly getting the best position out of them in my room. Lotsa experiments to go.. icon_rolleyes.gif
peter32
post Oct 20 2008, 11:51 PM

心旷神怡
1,154 posts

Those were the day when a few of us nuts went crazy to create better sounding EposES11.

We use the original stand, remove the speaker front protective cover to minimise sound muffling, placed it upside down, and last but not least, placed something to raise the front part of the speaker about 1cm higher than the rear, ie, making it to tilt facing upwards a little.

All for the name of improving the sound !

Frankly, none of us can hear anything unusual.

[biggrin.gif]
Y.C.
post Oct 21 2008, 12:35 AM

Casual listener
906 posts

I got what you meant, those good old days. tongue.gif

However, the protective covers of ES11 and ES12 which are made of plastics must be removed when we play music as sound just could not penetrate through them unlike the newer models of M12.2 and M12i.

There is a review on M12i in the Audiofile; I thought the older M12.2 looks much better.

This post has been edited by Y.C.: Oct 21 2008, 12:54 AM
peter32
post Oct 21 2008, 10:06 AM

心旷神怡
1,154 posts

ES11 in UK came with a protective cover made of netting element if I am not mistaken. Not the plastic cover, although my unit came with plastic cover when I got it. We even removed the netting cover.
Y.C.
post Oct 21 2008, 12:36 PM

Casual listener
906 posts

Walking down memory lane:
The year was 1994 and my system then was made up of Epos ES11 on their open-frame stands, Audiolab 8000A integrated amp and Marantz CD72IISE cdp on a Mission Isoplat. Cables used were Audio Note AN-C (copper) interconnects, Naim NACA5 speaker cables and XLO PL-1000 (green) powercord for amp.

When the system was fully warmed-up after two hours into each listening session, its sound would melt with midrange sounding so liquid, coherent with very deep bass; it have brought me many hours of listening pleasure from such a down-to-earth system then.

deng8895
post Oct 21 2008, 02:14 PM

Enthusiast
788 posts

OMG the M12i is so ugly as compare to the older M12.2

yuck!!!
car_o_scope
post Oct 21 2008, 02:19 PM

Cars & HiFi fever!!
1,829 posts

Although Epos belong to Creek now, some of their products are being made in China.
brabusm
post Nov 15 2008, 06:50 PM

44 posts

MaxoVista, I miss my Epos!!! How are they doing?

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.65    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:34 PM