Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

AMAX, AsiaSpace Wimax

views

p4n6
post Aug 29 2008, 08:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

Is it the 1U shopping mall or the One World Hotel? I only know it's in 1U but don't know where ... anyone can confirm this? How come no official advertisement until now?
p4n6
post Aug 29 2008, 11:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(anfernee @ Aug 29 2008, 11:54 PM)
xpresside : We are talking about Amax from Asiaspace covering TTDI area, not P1 Wimax.

p4n6 : It's in One Utama New Wing... in front of Guess shop...  beside the Amax roadshow there are stalls selling mooncakes...
Oooo .. i see ... i can't wait to compare their service with P1 W1MAX.
p4n6
post Sep 1 2008, 10:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(macro @ Sep 1 2008, 11:07 AM)
The Asiaspace Wimax Sdn Bhd (Amax) website has the info on coverage, packages and pricing: www.amax.my 
Note - no 'com'.

The Amax T&C don't have the Fair Use Policy. P1's have the policy which limits total download per month to only 20GB (where got enough!  vmad.gif ) , while Celcom, Maxis and U limit to -worse- 3-5GB per month, all for roughly the same price of about RM99.00 per month.

I put the question on the absence of the Fair Use Policy to Mohd Zamri Salleh, the Chief Technology Office of Amax. He told me they had gone thru that and deliberately decided that they shouldn't limit the amount of download for Wimax users.  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif

On the downside, for the cheaper (RM99.00) package, only the USB dongle modem is provided, which means one can't use it to wi-fi the house, but the advantage is it is entirely portable. If wanna the modem with the RJ45 to plug into a wireless router, one gotta take the RM138.00 package - that's 40% more pricey with slightly higher speed, and needs a mains powerpoint. The modems are provided free with a 12-month contract.

P1  provides only one type of modem which needs to be plugged into a mains powerpoint.

On sign-up, Amax is cheaper by RM100 as it doesn't charge the activation fee, which P1 does. Actually, why should ISPs charge those nonsense registration, activation or connection fees?  shakehead.gif  Monthly subscription enough la!   tongue.gif
Good Info thumbup.gif

Depending on the user, majority users don't really go beyond 20GB per month imho, to me to have the fair usage policy or not actually doesn't really matter. If the ISP decides to throttle the P2P and HTTP like TM, even you have 5 Mbps connection basically will be useless too.

Anyhow, the way I see it, the USB dongle is for outdoor usage as the output power and antenna gain will be smaller than the indoor CPE. What if I want to use indoor and outdoor? Then I would need to pay for both?

It's good actually we have one more WiMAX ISP emerging, I foresee when YTLE comes up later, we will have three ways battles and then the price will be cheaper for all of us. So my advice is, be patient and wait if you want to sign up for a better deal. Actually, the way I see it, those fees and CPE cost will be eventually beared by the ISP when competition becomes HOT! ... so ... drool.gif let's wait and see ...

Added on September 1, 2008, 11:03 pm
QUOTE(macro @ Sep 1 2008, 03:57 PM)
No. Am a prospective customer considering signing up and have done my homework on comparing the ISPs, and went to the Amax 1U roadshow to ask questions. But am held off by the Amax USB dongle thing coz wi-fi-ing my house is important, so that I can terminate Streamyx and the house phone TM line. Will wait till its economical package provides the solution to wi-fi.

z3171600 & Ketamine,
Why're you making this kind of assumptions? It's irrelevant to the topic at hand, and it shows your deduction skills are wanting.
You still can wire the Indoor CPE to your wifi router to provide wifi coverage in your house. If you look at the package, it's still cheaper than your streamyx and fixed line combined together. Both Amax and P1 actually purposely adjust the price to counter Streamyx on this.

This post has been edited by p4n6: Sep 1 2008, 11:03 PM
p4n6
post Sep 2 2008, 12:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(bysquashy @ Sep 2 2008, 12:31 PM)
The rated 1Mbps speed will better than the "best effort" speed offered by TMNut. dry.gif
Better has a very wide meaning tongue.gif
p4n6
post Sep 3 2008, 09:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(bysquashy @ Sep 2 2008, 01:20 PM)
Ahhh.......... my bad......... i didn't see the B.

I haven't experienced any where near those figures with my streamyx. Anyway, that's another discussion biggrin.gif
I don't see 1.5Mbps package available also.
Note that I just downgrade my connection to 512kbps recently and my modem router still showing 1.5Mbps connection. When I do speedtest, it's 500kbps. So I guess they open the pipe to 1.5Mbps and throttle it at their backend.
p4n6
post Sep 7 2008, 01:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(phantom78 @ Sep 3 2008, 03:49 PM)
i dun work for amax but i hv done scanning around BU areas to benchmark their coverage with p1. seems like amax do indeed have a larger coverage. but tat is probably due to the vendor pumping the stations at max power...
Unless both basestations (p1 and amax) are placed at the same place, else I don't think you can compare the size of the coverage.
p4n6
post Sep 8 2008, 10:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

AMAX site listed 10 locations ... only 1 location has coverage ...
p4n6
post Sep 9 2008, 07:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(9M-MAS @ Sep 4 2008, 02:01 PM)
base stations should not have much problem..I was told upgrading capacity is as simple as adding a module...it's the international bandwidth we need to worry about.

I say open up the local market to SingNet! Hahaha
Capacity limitation of the basestation always cannot runaway from to the theory. Every 10Mhz channel bandwidth (per sector) can only offer maximum 18 Mbps (for 2:1 TDD ratio). When MIMO B (both basestation and end user devices) arrives, every 10Mhz channel bandwidth will be able to reach 36 Mbps.

Added on September 14, 2008, 12:16 pmAnyone subscribes to it or are currently using it?

Why suddenly no news after 2 weeks?

This post has been edited by p4n6: Sep 14 2008, 12:16 PM
p4n6
post Nov 25 2008, 10:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

I wonder why AMAX marketing still poor as compared to P1.

p4n6
post Nov 25 2008, 11:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(Stepup! @ Nov 25 2008, 11:31 PM)
Hmmm, I think what I can say is P1 only creates a good awareness to the public through advertisement, as to knowledge the whole Malaysian the existence of Wimax. However, most people didn’t actually take the real initiative to sign-up for P1. Some people sign-up and after that return back the product due to many reasons. Anyway, I am thinking maybe P1 has spent too much money on advertisement, activities. Blah blah… But, not so sure whether they expected return is great or not?
On second thought, maybe P1 Company has hired a better marketer to market their product. Especially in term of activities, blah blah blah and so on….. Secondly, P1 CEO was previously worked in TM Company before. So that fellow got better experience loh and very familiar with broadband service & product.

Well, your topic is quite subjective and arguementative. Different people will have different point of view!
It's subjective and argumentative that's why it can be brought up to discuss with everyone. So everyone can provide their own point of view.

My opinion is similar to Maxis 3G and Celcom 3G, their service is not very good, take up rate still considered as low, alot of people complain but still their advertising continues everywhere ...

As you said, P1 is bringing awareness to the public the existence of WiMAX, it's benefiting AMAX indirectly as well.

Also, P1 and AMAX are new kids on the block, so the branding is very important. I think they have the need to boost up their identity if they wanna compete with the well established Maxis and Celcom.

Of course, heavy advertisement also could backfire like TMNET and PROTON ... lol ...

Thinking of TMNET, you will think of low throughput and bad service, while PROTON will make public think of low quality car ... hehehe ...
p4n6
post Nov 26 2008, 02:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

Hehe .. so steady steady ... in case signing up now and they bankrupt next month ... so better wait until the coverage becomes bigger and more feedbacks from users.
p4n6
post Nov 26 2008, 09:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(kukujiaotm @ Nov 26 2008, 07:57 PM)
Quote : Diao. Read and see it with your own eyes.

Wahhh you swear at me!!! Don't need to be so mean ok!!! Well, i confess that it is my mistake for mentioning about the 113kbps &  113kb/s. Some people can't differentiate it well. Anyway, i am sorry

Quote : Yaya, 113 and 120+ very big difference. Damn. *(Sarcasm. If you realize.)

I didn't say it is a big difference. What i tried to mention is the advantage of Wimax is portable as compared to Streamyx or any internet service provide which using telephone line!

Quote: The amax network will cover the entire Klang Valley by end 2008

To me P1 also same lah! They promised to cover the entire Damansara and some other places by end of this year. Recently, they have removed those places from their website. Correct me if i am wrong?

But what you can say is Amax words ( The amax network will cover the entire Klang Valley by end 2008 ) is too much lah. It is definitely Impossible to cover the entire klang valley by 2008. However, currently they have no interest on klang valley. My friend who is working in Amax Company told me that they are actually focusing on Areas along the whole LDP highway rather than klang valley. Basically, what I am trying to say is they try not to interfere with P1 Areas loh…

quote: That's the time Streamyx will go down the drain
I would say like this: That's the time Streamyx will go down to HELL!!! For letting the Majority of Malaysian suffering from slow speed or problems....
1. Honestly, alot of people can't differentiate between bits and bytes. And alot of people are using download speed from their torrent client or download server (like rapidshare) as benchmark of the throughput. In short, not everyone knows what they are doing. No one is perfect.

2. P1 didn't mention they have WiMAX coverage in Damansara. The WiMAX coverage is available on their website after the official launching and new location has been added in ever since. I know cause I check everyday to hope Cheras will be in there one day. I've seen from their website on their Wifi service in Damansara area only

3. If it's impossible for them to cover entire KV, then they should not talk cock on their website. LDP highway is also in Klang Valley.
p4n6
post Nov 26 2008, 11:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(kukujiaotm @ Nov 26 2008, 10:02 PM)
I also always check P1 website and also hoping for Wimax coverage will be in Damansara. I don't mind whether it is P1 or Amax. One time I remembered that I saw in P1 website having a small ad stating that P1 is coming to damansara soon..... And other places also by the end of 2008. Especially they mentioned Damansara, I was excited. But after they removed the Damansara “ with the Coming Soon status”, I feel kind of disappointed! Well, I guess need to wait again until somewhere in year 2009!

Anyone remember under their coverage category, they have mentioned Damansara, and other places coming soon..... ??? Correct me if i am wrong again?
Quote : If it's impossible for them to cover entire KV, then they should not talk cock on their website.
Maybe their IT department people is not effectively on updating their website at all. Well, to me Amax website too suck and plain. No creativity at all!!! Really hardly got any news update or latest information’s.

Oops, I forgot that some areas in KV are also along LDP highway!!!
I think P1 is focusing their Wimax coverage around Federal highway loh <<< Not so sure, but I just guess only! Well, next time tire of Traffic Jam, can use your laptop inside your car surfing internet  icon_idea.gif  tongue.gif , Less frustrating!!!
P1 Wifi already in Damansara
http://www.p1.com.my/common/aspx/Coverage_ref.aspx

But it's not P1 W1MAX.

Surfing in car, wanna cause more jam huh?
p4n6
post Nov 27 2008, 07:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(z3171600 @ Nov 27 2008, 04:15 AM)
Anyways, do you know how much will it cost for each package monthly if we don't want to commit to 1 year contract? Also, the jump from 1.5mbps to 2mbps is not worth it. Cost more than 200 more.
The 2Mbps is for business user not home user and it comes with USB and indoor CPE, two devices. I think the price is alright. Obvously AMAX is subsidizing the devices for the users, so contract is definitely inevitable.

What likely will happen is that the user will sign up for the plan 1 month and not returning the device (MALAYSIAN will do that!).
p4n6
post Nov 28 2008, 12:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(billyzai @ Nov 27 2008, 09:45 PM)
puchong got already...if u wan to register can pm me...
Do you have coverage map like on google earth?

Judging that WiMAX is on mobility and portability, I can't msg you from time to time on where I want to online right?

The coverage information on the website is too high level ...
p4n6
post Nov 29 2008, 10:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(Suk @ Nov 28 2008, 05:08 AM)
Well, most new provider at first very fast.. end up slow or bankrupt.
Like those day, the Gov was issuing Hand phone license, there were around 6 operator got it. but now left 3 giants...

it's same to Wimax too....
I totally agree with you ... cause when they are giving out licenses, the more licenses they give, the more "ahem" they get from the operators. So they just split it into more chunks and can get more "ahem" ...
p4n6
post Nov 29 2008, 05:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(Tim_88DN @ Nov 29 2008, 02:15 PM)
hmmm.....i've been wondering if Amax or P1 has entered Cheras....but it seems that P1 has not yet penetrated into Cheras yet but on AMAX website, they put Cheras in their coverage area...but here's a thing....i've emailed them about service coverage on Cheras months ago and said that by the end of September....almost all area will be covered by Amax...and i wait and wait and wait yawn.gif  yawn.gif  ......note that Cheras is not yet in their coverage website when i emailed them months ago.....

so....recently i went to their website to see if Cheras is in the service coverage.... but it looks like i can't seem to know if Cheras is in the service coverage or not since the map of the coverage areas are unclickable.....

so my question is.....is Cheras in the service coverage or not....if yes.....what areas does it covers in Cheras?
I believe the list on their website is what they targeting to have. So they definitely behind schedule.
p4n6
post Nov 29 2008, 09:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(Amaxwimax @ Nov 29 2008, 08:54 PM)
Amax Wimax has already established their Wimax base station in Cheras 1 month ago. The areas covered in Cheras would be:
• Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Anggerik
• Jalan Alam Damai
• Jalan Damai Rasa
• Jalan 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 and many more
• There is coverage nearby Leburahraya Cheras - Kajang also!
• Leburahraya Hubungan Timur – Barat
                There is also some Wimax Coverage at Taman Connaught
• And some other places in Cheras!

Asia space Company has decided to put another one or two more Wimax Base station at Cheras. But the date is not confirm yet!
PM me for coverage checking and PM “billyzai” for registration after confirming your Wimax coverage area smile.gif
A map will help a lot.

This post has been edited by p4n6: Nov 30 2008, 03:11 PM
p4n6
post Nov 30 2008, 03:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(Amaxwimax @ Nov 30 2008, 01:31 AM)
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=3.0761414&lon=10...=17&l=0&m=a&v=2

I think this WikiMapia Map is sufficiently enough to tell the Wimax Coverage in Cheras!

Btw, I have some slight changes in the previous post about the “The areas covered under Cheras”. So p4n6, Can you help me to edit your QUOTE!!!
Do you mean the "some" coverage in Tmn Connaught?

Thanks for the map! I think it covers inner Cheras at the moment. How many sites to cover that area?

Added on November 30, 2008, 3:15 pm
QUOTE(z3171600 @ Nov 30 2008, 03:01 AM)
Just wondering, one base station can cover how many km sq?
It varies based on morphology, in desert and in downtown new york city both give a different answer.
RF signal is more complicated than drawing a circle.

This post has been edited by p4n6: Nov 30 2008, 03:19 PM
p4n6
post Dec 1 2008, 08:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(Amaxwimax @ Dec 1 2008, 01:37 AM)
Taman Connaught is one of the big Area in Cheras. Only the South-East part of Taman Connaught got Wimax Coverage!
So now, if people want to buy, do people buy and try, if no coverage can refund?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0578sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:25 AM