Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

134 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> T-Amp user/diyer come here :), TA2024 complete build board diy (DIY)

views

TSxtorm
post Aug 11 2008, 12:08 PM, updated 11y ago

^O....OO.....ooo^
Group: Senior Member

**very important that you guys dont mess up +VE and -VE terminal on the power supply, it will burn the chip!**

check out post no 3 for modding details, and pdf file to be donwloaded

t-amp? what izit?
its a type of amp produce by tripath, basically a much refine class-d amp.
there is ta2020, ta2024, ta2022, the 1 i brought in is ta2024, bang per buck you cant beat it smile.gif
some good reading abt the ta2024
sonic impact T-amp which make this chip really famous!
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/193312.html
________________________________________________________________________________________________

since most of you guys that ordered will be getitng thier parts by today, let me start off with some of my built 1st tongue.gif
doing it very slowy as this is my 1st built, altho simple but not femiliar with it.

i got 2 boards with me, 1 i will mod as i build the other completely stock nod.gif wana compare the difference, altho im planing to run active setup with 4 channel.

stuff you need to start for those new to DIY

for 1 board you need
solder and lead ofcos
multimeter if available, else be very carefull with what you are doinglor...
some cable. cat 5e or cat6 are easily available and easy to work with
a housing that you like smile.gif
on/off switch x1
power supply terminal x1 set (male and female)
rca female x 2 (1 black 1 red)
speaker terminal x 4 (2 black 2 red)
a stereo volume port

some parts are not shown here tongue.gif
user posted image

speaker terminal.
pretty straight forward, solder 1 wire to each terminal pin, red goes to +ve and black goes to -ve
user posted image

RCA female
the middle pin will be the signal, side pin for ground.
user posted image
user posted image

so which is which?
middle pin is ground
right pin is the right pair
left pin is the left pair
left and right channel will share the same ground
user posted image

switch
when you buy a switch measure for connectivity when you off and on it.
for mine its the middle and top pin
user posted image

volume
taken from ESP, well im not too sure how it works either tongue.gif, didnt check it out cos im not using it, so here's wat i got form ESP
The important external bits are shown so you can refer to them as needed.  I have (somewhat arbitrarily) numbered the terminals as 1, 2 and 3.  Terminal 2 is the wiper. For a "standard" volume control application, 1 is normally connected to ground, the input is applied to 3, and the output taken from 2 (wiper) allowing the output to be varied from ground (no signal) to input (maximum signal).

hmm...same for 2 pot? sifu please advice so i can update, newbie here....
user posted image
user posted image

cabling
from RCA female to board input im using rs 485 data cable,
i gounded the shiled (connect it directly to 12v -ve)
user posted image
the rs 485 cable
user posted image
other then that it is cat6 for all the power supply wiring, and cat5e braided for speaker terminal, wanted cat6 but i dont have much sad.gif as you can see i remove all the terminal and solder directly.

capacitor power supply are cheapo jalan pasar stuff, 2x 10000uf and farnell 3 x 3,300uf.
in the middle you can see a 40amp relay use in car. i believe those transfer voltage better then the switch alone.

Attached bellow is the evaluation board by tripath, our board follows tht design minus the input coil, most ta2024 amp follow this design

This post has been edited by xtorm: Oct 2 2008, 12:26 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ta2024evaluation.pdf ( 630.75k ) Number of downloads: 353
TSxtorm
post Aug 11 2008, 12:08 PM

^O....OO.....ooo^

i have complete building mine with input voltage cap, seems like the unit is working hotter then before...hm...

1 of the board is modded with M-Cap 2.2uf input cap, elna for audio 1000uf on the power supply rail to the chip, the sound is quieter and not as ear piercing compare to stock unit. it sounded softer tho, should be bcos it is much quieter now. im running my mids free air, btw, the tweeter frequency seem like its been pull down. too tired to set it up in my car edi, only gona do it tomorrow, i got a bad headache today and took MC, ended up doing the amp tongue.gif

how should i measure the inductor impedance? just by using the multimeter? im measuring 1.3-1.5ohm for those inductor, will a lower impedance inductor improve the sound? it should right? found some nice 0.07ohm unit in farnell but ferite core tho...no air core to be found sad.gif

more listening, hmm some ape file sounded really nice while others crap, this amp really do relly alot on the source, garbage in garbage out smile.gif

back of my amp
user posted image

internal
user posted image

left with tank cap and input cap modded, right stock.
user posted image

initially i tot the box is so damn big, luckily im wrong, lots fo space for me to play with.
user posted image

sorry abt the quality of the image, camera phone arent good with indoor lighting

This post has been edited by xtorm: Aug 16 2008, 08:19 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ta2024evaluation.pdf ( 630.75k ) Number of downloads: 146
TSxtorm
post Aug 11 2008, 12:10 PM

^O....OO.....ooo^

the modding guide, sorry if the write up is not good enough, i tried tongue.gif

BEGINER STAGE
-the easiest modding and makes the most difference will be the input capacitors, those thing covered in black
get the best capacitor you can afford here, higher value will enhance the bass and roll off the highs, 2.2uf and 3.3uf are recomended here, non polarize.

-change the supply capacitor, those 2 small caps in the middle just beside ta2024 chip, higher value will enhance the charity and bass, low esr caps are recomended here, panasonic FM seems to fit this job well, 3300uf 16v will be enough, change both of them ofcause...
here a review from 1 of the guru here on power supply cap notworthy.gif
QUOTE(Y.C. @ Sep 28 2008, 04:12 PM)
I had the opportunity to compare my own T-amp against my colleague’s T-amp last night when we were troubleshooting some buzzing sound together.

As mentioned previously, I have changed the 4 stocked caps of my T-amp to Vishay/ERO MKT 1813 2.2uF 63V polycarbonates and Panasonic 1000uF 16V electrolytics whereas my colleague has only changed the input caps to the same Vishay/ERO MKT 1813 caps. My T-amp is with a 24-steps 50K ohm Dale resistors attenuator whereas his an Alpha 50K ohm carbon potentiometer. PSU used is a 12VDC 2.5A SMPS, source a Sansui CD-X310 and transducers Q Acoustics 1010.

I would report the difference in sound of our T-amps described above as very substantial and prefer the unit with Panasonic low ESR PSU caps. The overall tonal balance and scale of music is both more balanced and larger. The low frequencies have more weight and this adds to the foundation of music making. I would not describe sound as dry-sounding but contrary to this, we thought both T-amps sounded moist enough but we arrived at the conclusion that the stocked PSU caps must be replaced so as to attain a more balanced tonal back and a weighty foundation to low frequencies. There is no pop/thud sound to both our T-amps.

user posted image

these mod will probably be enough for some, but i bet most will not stop here as once you start modding it you dont wanto stop, the diferences are just amazing thumbup.gif

ADVANCE
indetifying the component for input stage (image credit to jazzy939)
user posted image
user posted image

from here please refer post 1214 by jazzy939 for pictures, i cant seem to save the pics he posted
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=19884882 <--direct link

-input resistor and gain resistor, smd component are never known for sounding good, the input resistor on the board are probably 5% tolerance, i measure 19.6xk to 19.8xk on them, changing to 1% metal film or better will improve the sound, espcially imaging.

-as you can see some biascap and others being change as well in the picture, not sure how much they effect the sound, jazzy939 did this mod in 1 shot and are quite surprise by it

-bypass cap for power supply, just beside the power supply cap, c6 and c7. good power supply make a noticeably difference in t-amp

-soldering copper wire directly from 12v terminal to chip, again, a good power supply is important in any amp, since the original root is quite thin in size, soldering 2 copper wire to the ta2024 pin will let the chip have plenty of power to work with, espcially with bigger panasonic FM in. sorry for the lousy pic, it is solder to pin 25,26,29 and 30

user posted image

-output filter capacitors, c22, c25, c27, c28 (sorry no pictures yet), some say these are as good as changing the input caps, polyester 5% or better are recomended here.

-output filter coil, those 4 black thing, ferite coil gives dynamic and vivid signature to the t-amp, while aircore gives smooth and relax feels to it, up to the listener. other then that shielding the coil will make the amp sounding clean, haven try it tho, but good feedback from those who has done it.

bellow files belong to bro jazzy939, i upload it here for the convenient of others..

This post has been edited by xtorm: Sep 28 2008, 07:06 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  TA2024_mods_draft_STAGE1.pdf ( 1.35mb ) Number of downloads: 419
Attached File  TA2024_mods_draft_STAGE2.pdf ( 1.4mb ) Number of downloads: 345
jazzy939
post Aug 11 2008, 02:01 PM

reel is real

xtorm,
Good thread although I did not expect to be this soon! biggrin.gif
what value did you use for your stereo pot? Linear or log?
Will you cover the power supply?
Maybe it would be nice if you mention where you source your parts.. if other than Jalan Pasar or SS2 la.. wink.gif
TSxtorm
post Aug 11 2008, 02:58 PM

^O....OO.....ooo^

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Aug 11 2008, 02:01 PM)
xtorm,
Good thread although I did not expect to be this soon! biggrin.gif
what value did you use for your stereo pot? Linear or log?
Will you cover the power supply?
Maybe it would be nice if you mention where you source your parts.. if other than Jalan Pasar or SS2 la.. wink.gif
haha cheapo stufflor, im not using it anyway laugh.gif i boguht 20k, should get 50k or so...

hmm i duno how to diy the power supply, im pretty much a newbielah...hehe

meanwell 8.5amp smps is selling for under rm100ler... smile.gif

all my suff jalan pasar...haha

wan exotic 1 goto go octave

This post has been edited by xtorm: Aug 11 2008, 02:59 PM
bsl555
post Aug 11 2008, 03:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(xtorm @ Aug 11 2008, 02:58 PM)
hmm i duno how to diy the power supply, im pretty much a newbielah...hehe
meanwell 8.5amp smps is selling for under rm100ler... smile.gif
Wah!.. newbie up to a great challenge ya?..
Anyway, an ample (huge?) PSU is very essential for lifting the T-amp (or any chip amplifier for that matter) to great potential. A 100kohm Alps blue log volume pot will do justice here too. Don't skimp too much if your expectations are high. Good luck!. icon_rolleyes.gif
jazzy939
post Aug 11 2008, 04:13 PM

reel is real

Thank you for the advice bsl! thumbup.gif
Shortlist:
1. 100kohm Alps blue log pot
2. 'huge' PSU biggrin.gif
Saw some great snubberized PSU for the GainClone, guess with 'little' mod should work well with the T-amp wink.gif
vincent_audio
post Aug 11 2008, 04:42 PM

Regular

alternatively, for even better quality, u might want to get a step volume pot, i forgot about the stepping, but all are good grade resistor

p/s: anyone interested, i have 1x 100k for sale smile.gif

This post has been edited by vincent_audio: Aug 11 2008, 04:42 PM
jazzy939
post Aug 11 2008, 05:07 PM

reel is real

Won't step volume pot costs a 'bomb'? tongue.gif
Expensive as you really need an audio grade resistors, am I right?
That 100k, alps or... tongue.gif
bsl555
post Aug 11 2008, 05:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(vincent_audio @ Aug 11 2008, 04:42 PM)
p/s: anyone interested, i have 1x 100k for sale smile.gif
what brand and picture please?
vincent_audio
post Aug 11 2008, 09:09 PM

Regular

http://www.diyzone.net/article.php?sid=369

user posted image

resistor is exactly like in the picture, all Dale smile.gif
BSOD
post Aug 11 2008, 09:28 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Look nice. drool.gif brows.gif
But would much prefer a budget (but not so low quality)build as I bought the board to "save money".. doh.gif shakehead.gif laugh.gif

Bro xtorm,
Thanks for opening this thread. notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by BSOD: Aug 11 2008, 09:29 PM
vincent_audio
post Aug 11 2008, 09:37 PM

Regular

i have this at home, it has been running for 2 yrs smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

sounds great until... i found tubecad design smile.gif hahahaha... then there's no turning back on tubey

edit: btw, i have the sonic impact t-amp too smile.gif

This post has been edited by vincent_audio: Aug 11 2008, 09:38 PM
TSxtorm
post Aug 11 2008, 10:42 PM

^O....OO.....ooo^

btw you guys should have gotten the amp right?

btw for those who like open and lively sound mayb should lower value input cap, just a theory tho, mayb ill try it with the other amp smile.gif

my god that volume pot is nice! TA2022, other then bass some say there is not much different? how true is tht since you have both.

i got 1 of those resistor soldering type as well...haha what you call them?

Added on August 11, 2008, 11:52 pmjazzy and bsod, waiting to see you guys nice casing, mine is pretty plain and simple, im more concern abt the sound tongue.gif

This post has been edited by xtorm: Aug 11 2008, 11:52 PM
jazzy939
post Aug 12 2008, 10:05 AM

reel is real

My package was delivered yesterday but won't be doing anywork on it till this weekend ler.. Need to go to JP to get the 'stuffs'! tongue.gif
I'll post the pre-work done pix first.. I have set my mind on this cute 'lil casing... laugh.gif
TSxtorm
post Aug 12 2008, 10:15 AM

^O....OO.....ooo^

haha good good..

litsten to it before you mod the input cap, you will be very happy with the mod biggrin.gif

btw the packaging i send nice ah? rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by xtorm: Aug 12 2008, 10:19 AM
vincent_audio
post Aug 12 2008, 11:22 AM

Regular

QUOTE(xtorm @ Aug 11 2008, 10:42 PM)
btw you guys should have gotten the amp right?

btw for those who like open and lively sound mayb should lower value input cap, just a theory tho, mayb ill try it with the other amp smile.gif

my god that volume pot is nice! TA2022, other then bass some say there is not much different? how true is tht since you have both.

i got 1 of those resistor soldering type as well...haha what you call them?

Added on August 11, 2008, 11:52 pmjazzy and bsod, waiting to see you guys nice casing, mine is pretty plain and simple, im more concern abt the sound tongue.gif
The TA 2022 has more power, that said it is capable of pushing lower sensitivity speaker with not much of load and thus less distortion. You got quite a loud noise at 2-3 o'clock on ur dial, but also quite a lot of distortion. That is easily archievable with the TA2022 @ 11 o'clock. The lower frequencies, not only the bass but also the vocal is more solid
TSxtorm
post Aug 12 2008, 12:59 PM

^O....OO.....ooo^

guest tht is aspected from a more powerfull amp
Y.C.
post Aug 12 2008, 04:47 PM

Casual listener

Hi all, T-amp board with Tripath TA-2024 chip at only RM55? Where could I order one if I am keen? smile.gif

diyparadise dot com selling the Charlize board with TA-2020 chip at RM350. sad.gif
jazzy939
post Aug 12 2008, 05:16 PM

reel is real

Y.C.,
You have to ask xtorm if there's going to be a second bulk for this. Maybe after this thread, there will be interested parties.. wink.gif

134 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Bump Topic Topic ClosedOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0859sec    2.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th June 2019 - 11:14 AM