Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

66 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Serious Talk Inspirational Stories, Pictures, Quotes...

views

Cenarius
post Aug 9 2008, 04:12 AM

Getting Started
173 posts

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
— Saint-Exupéry
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
— Stephen F. Roberts

happy4ever
post Aug 9 2008, 04:46 AM

(✿◠‿◠) Queen of Love ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
7,194 posts

What you can do tomorrow, why do it today. There's always another tomorrow. Procrastinate!
— happy4ever
Avex
post Aug 9 2008, 05:29 AM

On my way
559 posts

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Avex: Aug 9 2008, 05:52 AM
TSMayAnne
post Aug 9 2008, 11:57 AM

Faith Hope Love
Group Icon
VIP
3,170 posts

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Aug 9 2008, 04:46 AM)
What you can do tomorrow, why do it today. There's always another tomorrow. Procrastinate!
— happy4ever
Sounds a lot like Scarlet O'Hara from "Gone With The Wind".

Thanks for your contribution. Thank you all who contributed too. smile.gif

QUOTE(Avex @ Aug 9 2008, 05:29 AM)
biggrin.gif
And thank YOU for the great big smile so early in the morning! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MayAnne: Aug 9 2008, 11:58 AM
happy4ever
post Aug 9 2008, 01:34 PM

7,194 posts

QUOTE(MayAnne @ Aug 9 2008, 11:57 AM)
Sounds a lot like Scarlet O'Hara from "Gone With The Wind".

Thanks for your contribution.  Thank you all who contributed too.  smile.gif
And thank YOU for the great big smile so early in the morning!  laugh.gif
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. sweat.gif
- Clark Cable @ Rhett Butler, 1939

user posted image

This post has been edited by happy4ever: Aug 9 2008, 01:35 PM
TSMayAnne
post Aug 9 2008, 02:21 PM

Faith Hope Love
Group Icon
VIP
3,170 posts

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Aug 9 2008, 01:34 PM)
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.  sweat.gif
- Clark Cable @ Rhett Butler, 1939

user posted image
Yes, sometimes we have to look at things that way. Save a lot of headaches and heartaches.

Gone With The Wind... I read the book... and I think Rhett Butler is sooooo man! wub.gif

TSMayAnne
post Aug 9 2008, 07:06 PM

Faith Hope Love
Group Icon
VIP
3,170 posts

THE RAIN - THOMAS KINKAKE

Stop at the picture for a second, and watch the Rain… then read on…

user posted image

One rainy afternoon I was driving along one of the main streets of town, taking those extra precautions necessary when the roads are wet and slick.

Suddenly, my daughter, Aspen, spoke up from her relaxed position in her seat. "Dad, I'm thinking of something."

This announcement usually meant she had been pondering some fact for a while, and was now ready to expound all that her six-year-old mind had discovered. I was eager to hear.

"What are you thinking?" I asked.

"The rain!" she began, "is like sin, and the windshield wipers are like God wiping our sins away."

After the chill bumps raced up my arms I was able to respond.

"That's really good, Aspen."

Then my curiosity broke in. How far would this little girl take this revelation? So I asked… "Do you notice how the rain keeps on coming? What does that tell you?"

Aspen didn't hesitate one moment with her answer:

"We keep on sinning, and God just keeps on forgiving us."

I will always remember this whenever I turn my wipers on.

IN ORDER TO SEE THE RAINBOW, WE MUST FIRST ENDURE SOME RAIN.

smile.gif

happy4ever
post Aug 9 2008, 10:57 PM

7,194 posts

QUOTE(MayAnne @ Aug 9 2008, 02:21 PM)
Yes, sometimes we have to look at things that way. Save a lot of headaches and heartaches.

Gone With The Wind... I read the book... and I think Rhett Butler is sooooo man!  wub.gif
That quote is good to be used to a nagging spouse. rclxms.gif
I watched to show actually. Vivien leigh was just so hot!!!
Clark Cable and his mustache gives me the turn on too!

Added on August 9, 2008, 10:58 pmTo Love Malaysia, Is to Eat Sodo Mee
--Saifool Anwar Ibrahim

This post has been edited by happy4ever: Aug 9 2008, 10:59 PM
SilenTz_1993
post Aug 9 2008, 11:31 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

A Story on Friendship

A story is told about a soldier who was finally coming home after having fought in Vietnam. He called his parents from San Francisco.

"Mom and Dad, I'm coming home, but I've a favor to ask. I have a friend I'd like to bring home with me.

"Sure," they replied, "we'd love to meet him."

"There's something you should know," the son continued, "he was hurt pretty badly in the fighting. He stepped on a land mind and lost an arm and a leg. He has nowhere else to go, and I want him to come live with us."

"I'm sorry to hear that, son. Maybe we can help him find somewhere to live."

"No, Mom and Dad, I want him to live with us."

"Son," said the father, "you don't know what you're asking. Someone with such a handicap would be a terrible burden on us. We have our own lives to live, and we can't let something like this interfere with our lives. I think you should just come home and forget about this guy. He'll find a way to live on his own."

At that point, the son hung up the phone. The parents heard nothing more from him. A few days later, however, they received a call from the San Francisco police. Their son had died after falling from a building, they were told. The police believed it was suicide.

The grief-stricken parents flew to San Francisco and were taken to the city morgue to identify the body of their son. They recognized him, but to their horror they also discovered something they didn't know, their son had only one arm and one leg.

The parents in this story are like many of us. We find it easy to love those who are good-looking or fun to have around, but we don't like people who inconvenience us or make us feel uncomfortable. We would rather stay away from people who aren't as healthy, beautiful, or smart as we are.

Thankfully, there's someone who won't treat us that way. Someone who loves us with an unconditional love that welcomes us into the forever family, regardless of how messed up we are.

Tonight, before you tuck yourself in for the night, say a little prayer that God will give you the strength you need to accept people as they are, and to help us all be more understanding of those who are different from us!!! There's a miracle called Friendship That dwells in the heart You don't know how it happens Or when it gets started But you know the special lift It always brings. And you realize that Friendship Is God's most precious gift!

blush.gif
TSMayAnne
post Aug 10 2008, 12:31 AM

Faith Hope Love
Group Icon
VIP
3,170 posts

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Aug 9 2008, 11:31 PM)
The parents in this story are like many of us. We find it easy to love those who are good-looking or fun to have around, but we don't like people who inconvenience us or make us feel uncomfortable. We would rather stay away from people who aren't as healthy, beautiful, or smart as we are.

Thankfully, there's someone who won't treat us that way. Someone who loves us with an unconditional love that welcomes us into the forever family, regardless of how messed up we are.

Tonight, before you tuck yourself in for the night, say a little prayer that God will give you the strength you need to accept people as they are, and to help us all be more understanding of those who are different from us!!! There's a miracle called Friendship That dwells in the heart You don't know how it happens Or when it gets started But you know the special lift It always brings. And you realize that Friendship Is God's most precious gift!

blush.gif
Thank you for your contribution. smile.gif

A friend in need is a friend indeed. And He is our greatest Friend.

luvjim
post Aug 10 2008, 02:06 AM

last resort
1,031 posts

Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting.
- Brian Tracy

^cash^
post Aug 10 2008, 10:32 AM

太子
619 posts

"Ships in harbour are safe, but that's not what ships are built for"
happy4ever
post Aug 10 2008, 11:34 AM

7,194 posts

QUOTE(^cash^ @ Aug 10 2008, 10:32 AM)
"Ships in harbour are safe, but that's not what ships are built for"
Was that from Carly Fiorina's biography?
chyu89
post Aug 10 2008, 11:43 AM

I'm not a gynaecologist but I'll take a look
2,465 posts

The wars come and go, and my soldiers,they stay eternal - tupac
SilenTz_1993
post Aug 10 2008, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

Take the Son

Years ago, there was a very wealthy man who, with his devoted young son, shared a passion for art collecting. Together they traveled around the world, adding only the finest art treasures to their collection. Priceless works by Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet and many others adorned the walls of the family estate. The widowed elder man looked on with satisfaction as his only child became an experienced art collector. The son's trained eye and sharp business mind caused his father to beam with pride as they dealt with art collectors around the world.

As winter approached, war engulfed the nation, and the young man left to serve his country. After only a few short weeks, his father received a telegram. His beloved son was missing in action. The art collector anxiously awaited more news, fearing he would never see his son again. Within days, his fears were confirmed. The young man had died while rushing a fellow soldier to a medic.

Distraught and lonely, the old man faced the upcoming Christmas holidays with anguish and sadness. The joy of the season-a season that he and his son had so looked forward to-would visit his house no longer.

On Christmas morning, a knock on the door awakened the depressed old man. As he walked to the door, the masterpieces of art on the walls only reminded him that his son was not coming home. As he opened the door, he was greeted by a soldier with a large package in his hand. He introduced himself to the man by saying, "I was a friend of your son. I was the one he was rescuing when he died. May I come in for a few moments? I have something to show you."

As the two began to talk, the soldier told of how the man's son had told everyone of his-not to mention his father's-love of fine art. "I'm an artist," said the soldier, "and I want to give you this." As the old man unwrapped the package, the paper gave way to reveal a portrait of the man's son.

Though the world would never consider it the work of a genius, the painting featured the young man's face in striking detail. Overcome with emotion, the man thanked the soldier, promising to hang the picture above the fireplace. A few hours later, after the soldier had departed, the old man set about his task.

True to his word, the painting went above the fireplace, pushing aside thousands of dollars of paintings. And then the man sat in his chair and spent Christmas gazing at the gift he had been given. During the days and weeks that followed, the man realized that even though his son was no longer with him, the boy's life would live on because of those he had touched. He would soon learn that his son had rescued dozens of wounded soldiers before a bullet stilled his caring heart. As the stories of his son's gallantry continued to reach him, fatherly pride and satisfaction began to ease the grief. The painting of his son soon became his most prized possession, far eclipsing any interest in the pieces for which museums around the world clamored. He told his neighbors it was the greatest gift he had ever received.

The following spring, the old man became ill and passed away. The art world was in anticipation. With the collector's passing, and his only son dead, those paintings would be sold at an auction. According to the will of the old man, all of the art works would be auctioned on Christmas day, the day he had received his greatest gift. The day soon arrived and art collectors from around the world gathered to bid on some of the world's most spectacular paintings. Dreams would be fulfilled this day; greatness would be achieved as many would claim "I have the greatest collection." The auction began with a painting that was not on any museum's list. It was the painting of the man's son. The auctioneer asked for an opening bid. The room was silent. "Who will open the bidding with $100?", he asked. Minutes passed. No one spoke.

From the back of the room came, "Who cares about that painting? It's just a picture of his son. Let's forget it and go on to the good stuff." More voices echoed in agreement. "No, we have to sell this one first," replied the auctioneer. "Now, who will take the son?" Finally, a friend of the old man spoke. "Will you take ten dollars for the painting? That's all I have. I knew the boy, so I'd like to have it." "I have ten dollars. Will anyone go higher?" called the auctioneer. After more silence, the auctioneer said, "Going once, going twice. Gone." The gavel fell. Cheers filled the room and someone exclaimed, "Now we can get on with it and we can bid on these treasures!" The auctioneer looked at the audience and announced the auction was over. Stunned disbelief quieted the room. Someone spoke up and asked, "What do you mean it's over? We didn't come here for a picture of some old guy's son. What about all of these paintings? There are millions of dollars of art here! I demand that you explain what's going on here!" The auctioneer replied, "It's very simple. According to the will of the father, whoever takes the son gets it all."

Puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Just as those art collectors discovered on that Christmas day, the message is still the same-the love of a Father, a Father whose greatest joy came from His Son who went away and gave His life rescuing others. And because of that Father's love, whoever takes the Son gets it all.

blush.gif

This post has been edited by SilenTz_1993: Aug 10 2008, 12:39 PM
SilenTz_1993
post Aug 10 2008, 12:40 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

Puppies for Sale

A store owner was tacking a sign above his door that read "Puppies for Sale." Signs like that have a way of attracting small children, and sure enough a little boy appeared under the store owner's sign. "How much are you going to sell the puppies for?" the little boy asked. The store owner replied, "anywhere from $30 to $50." The little boy reached into his pocket and pulled out some change. "I have $2.37" he said. "May I please look at them?" The store owner smiled and whistled and out of the kennel came Lady, who ran down the aisle of his store followed by five teeny, tiny balls of fur.

One puppy was lagging considerably behind. Immediately the little boy singled out the lagging, limping puppy and said, "What's wrong with that little dog?" The store owner explained that the veterinarian had examined the little puppy and had discovered that it didn't have a hip socket. It would always limp. It would always be lame. The little boy became excited. "That is the puppy I want to buy." The store owner said, "No, you don't want to buy that little dog. If you really want him, I'll just give him to you."

The little boy got quite upset. He looked straight into the store owner's eyes, pointing his finger, and said, "I don't want you to give him to me. That little dog is worth every bit as much as all the other dogs and I'll pay full price. In fact, I'll give you $2.37 now and 50 cents a month until I have him paid for."

The store owner countered, "You really don't want to buy this little dog. He is never going to be able to run and jump and play with you like the other puppies." To his surprise, the little boy reached down and rolled up his pant leg to reveal a badly twisted, crippled left leg supported by a big metal brace. He looked up at the store owner and softly replied, "Well, I don't run so well myself, and the little puppy will need someone who understands."

blush.gif
feliciacsl
post Aug 10 2008, 12:46 PM

48 posts

BE A LAKE

The Master instructed the unhappy student to put a handful of salt in a glass of water and then to drink it. 'How does it taste?' the Master asked.

'Awful,' said the student.

The Master then asked the student to take another handful of salt and throw it in the lake. The two walked to the nearby lake and when the student swirled his handful of salt into the lake, the old man said, 'Now drink from
the lake.'

The student did so and the Master asked, 'How does it taste?'

'Good!' remarked the student.

'Do you taste the salt?' asked the Master.

No, said the young man.

The Master sat beside this troubled young man, took his hands, and said, 'The pain of life is pure salt; no more, no less. The amount of pain in life remains the same, exactly the same. But the amount we taste the 'pain' depends on the container we put it into. So when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to enlarge your sense of things..... Stop being a glass. Become a lake!'
feliciacsl
post Aug 10 2008, 05:54 PM

48 posts

QUOTE(MayAnne @ Aug 2 2008, 04:57 PM)
My first story here...
There are two days in every week about which we should not worry.  Two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.  All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed.  We cannot erase a single word we said.  Yesterday is gone!!

The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow, with its possible adversities, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance.  Tomorrow is beyond our immediate control.  Tomorrow's sun will rise, whether in splendor or behind a mask of clouds. But it will rise.  Until it does we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day: today.

Any man can fight the battles of just one day.  It is when you and I add the burdens of two awful eternities - yesterday and tomorrow, that we break down.

It is not necessarily the experience of today that disturbs one's peace of mind. It is often time the bitterness for something which happened yesterday and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.  Let us therefore live one day at a time.

This is to remind all of us that while we should remember the past and plan and anticipate the future, it is critical that we don’t get paralyzed by either.  By focusing on making the best of the present, we can actually make the past a sweeter learning experience, and make tomorrow’s hopes and dreams closer to reality.

Cheers!  smile.gif
this is lovely...=)
TSMayAnne
post Aug 10 2008, 07:05 PM

Faith Hope Love
Group Icon
VIP
3,170 posts

We say that "time flies" but a wise person observed that "time stays and we fly." Whether we rise early or stay in bed, we are being carried along by the mysterious force called "time."

So, have you accomplished what you have set out to do today? Perhaps you need to begin an essential task, address a lingering issue, or work to restore a valuable relationship before you fall asleep and need to be awakened again.

If time could be our servant,
Our days would be sublime;
But if we fail to master it,
We're only "serving time."

Don't spend time, invest it. smile.gif

firedauz
post Aug 10 2008, 08:05 PM

Kopitiam Official Astronaut
876 posts

user posted image

66 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to: