Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies Official STAR WARS Movies/TV Thread, FORCE AWAKENS | ROGUE ONE | SW VIII

views

dlct87
post Dec 20 2015, 12:39 PM

Casual
474 posts

A great return to form from Star Wars (just like Pixar did with Inside Out), 9/10 for me, and while i agree that the homage (or blatant copying, however you want to put it) is heavy handed in this, but I don't really care, because they were all well done thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
dlct87
post Dec 20 2015, 01:43 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(Rudd @ Dec 20 2015, 01:39 PM)
so ren is actually a jedi?
if you haven't watch the movie, and don't mind mild spoilers

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

dlct87
post Dec 20 2015, 08:47 PM

Casual
474 posts

and that voice belongs to Ewan McGregor, who also played Obi Wan in the prequel trilogy
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 12:52 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(hfi @ Dec 21 2015, 12:26 PM)
Initially i thought he was just really bad with the saber but after second viewing i actually think he's quite skilled. He was just really overconfident with his own ability - most of the time he fought one handed, showing no respect to his opponents. He toyed with Finn; side stepping his attack, letting his guard down, turning his back on him etc. Could have finish him off easily but decided to prolong the duel to demonstrate his superiority. Just pure arrogance. He tried the same with Rey and nearly got himself killed.

The only problem i initially had was with Rey who used the Force like a veteran Jedi. But perhaps she too is naturally gifted with the Force like Kylo.
well, there's several thing that worked against Kylo (my opinion anyway, and SPOILER):

perhaps because I read Japanese manga, so I don't really mind this kind of genius level rookie protagonist thing haha
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 01:19 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(wilsonjay @ Dec 21 2015, 01:15 PM)
There's a theory going around that Rey is kylo Ren's younger sister. Means Han and Leia's daughter. Now it feels like they did stay true to the books but not adapting exactly
the thing is, Han and Leia's reaction to Rey did not suggest that they are her parents at all throughout the movie
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 01:45 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(wilsonjay @ Dec 21 2015, 01:41 PM)
Well they did abandon her at jakku at a very young age. So maybe they can't recognise her? Or they're trying to hide their identities so kylo ren wouldn't find out that rey is her sister
to be honest, anything is possible at this stage, all we can do is speculate to no end laugh.gif

so for the sequels it should be:

Luke vs Snoke, Rey vs Ren round 2, Finn vs Phasma, Poe vs Death Star 4.0

just kidding with the last bit laugh.gif laugh.gif
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 03:21 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Dec 21 2015, 03:21 PM)
Spoiler that shyt wei sweat.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by dlct87: Dec 21 2015, 03:22 PM
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 03:34 PM

Casual
474 posts

well

dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 08:33 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(smarty pants @ Dec 21 2015, 08:27 PM)
Dude, kylo is supposed to be like a senior Vader or something like that. Granted he got shot but I am sure that he should be better. I mean he did lose to a girl. A girl who only realised her powers within 15 minutes.

It's like u just realize u can play badminton well then u can beat Daren liew in badminton.

The real Darth Vader would be sad.
who told you Kylo is supposed to be like Vader?

A better analogy should be Rey is probably like the Messi (when he was 16-17 years old) of Force user, now you get it why she can do what she did?

This post has been edited by dlct87: Dec 21 2015, 08:34 PM
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 08:50 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(smarty pants @ Dec 21 2015, 08:48 PM)
But he commands the new death star. I dunno man, when I see someone is the boss of a death star it should account for something. He should be at least Count Dokku level.
that just proved that you did not pay attention to the movie, since when is he commanding the death star (and it is not even a death star to start with)
dlct87
post Dec 21 2015, 08:58 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(smarty pants @ Dec 21 2015, 08:55 PM)
Ok not death star. It's something that looks like death star that sucks energy from the sun and destroys planets.
well i am sorry if i sounded condescending, its a base on a planet, Starkiller Base, and the commander is Hux, the one who gave the speech to the stormtroopers before they blew up those planet, but both him and Kylo served Snoke, so in a way, Snoke is the leader
dlct87
post Dec 28 2015, 04:10 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(SerbaSerbi @ Dec 28 2015, 03:36 PM)
I have not seen the show but my relatives have

however even if I see the show I will be as confused as them so I better ask your opinion - this Rey girl - is she Luke's daughter or Han Solo's other child or somebody else only to be known in movie 8?
This movie didn't tell us clearly, but it dropped hints throughout, so will have to wait until future episodes to find out smile.gif
dlct87
post Dec 28 2015, 05:12 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(SerbaSerbi @ Dec 28 2015, 05:11 PM)
there was a scene where this Ren girl was a toddler and she was screaming looking at a ship leaving the sky - she was restrained by someone - who do you think that someone who was holding her back and who were in that ship flying off - It looked like the Millenium Falcon no?
No idea, didn't showed the face of that person (probably the guy she sell the junks to at the start of the movie), and no, that's definitely not the Millennium Falcon
dlct87
post Jan 2 2016, 01:19 PM

Casual
474 posts

Let's see what Luke did in A New Hope, he had no combat training and flight training, he had just learned about the Force and trained a bit with that little floating ball, and he blew up the freaking Death Star using the Force, and flew the Fighter Jet flawlessly with Vader (or other Jets) chasing his back, if that's not Mary Sue-esque then I have no idea what it is

and can't people have discussions without going to the Haters vs Fanboys name calling route? jeez sweat.gif sweat.gif
dlct87
post Jan 16 2016, 01:02 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(lord_aminkin @ Jan 16 2016, 08:15 AM)
So, just watch this movie for the 6th time (4 times on IMAX, 1 time D-Box and 1 normal viewing). I swear for myself this will be the last time. Mainly watching it just to see Kylo Ren one more time on the big screen. I know its a bit early to say this but I think he just dethroned Vader from the top in my most favorite character list. In general I really likes this movie but now just want to nitpicking it CinemaSins style because there are a few issues that is bugging me throughout all the seating for this movie. Originally there is more but I manage to come up with relevant excuses like why the heck that TIE fighter want to blow up Rey, Finn and BB-8 when Kylo Ren clearly instructed Hux to retrieve the droid unharmed? Maybe because Hux overrule Ren's order with Snoke's (retrieve the droid if can, destroy it if can't). Another one is, where the heck is Rey going after the traumatized experience with Luke's lightsaber? You said you want to leave but why you wander so far off in the forest? Shouldn't you be heading towards Millenium Falcon? The excuse I come up with is maybe Millenium Falcon being parked quite far deep inside that forest.

Below are some lists that I can't seems to come out with any relevant answer to justify the act. Its there just for the sake of it or an excuse to move the story forward..

1) Killing Max von Sydow's character - shouldn't Kylo interrogate him before deciding to execute the guy? Didn't he came to the village with a bunch of trooper to retrieve the information from that guy in the first place? He didn't know Poe will be there right?
2) Why Han Solo so freaking turned on by Chewie's bow-caster? In all those years they spent together he never once tried it? Not once? Really?
3) Why the heck FN-2199 throw away gun and shield and go for electrostaff thingy instead? If you that eager to kill him isn't it the former make a better option? Its not like Finn know how to properly use the lightsaber. He didn't even know its a weapon in the first place.
4) During Han and Ben confrontation, why everyone froze in their place? Why the stromtrooper who clearly present at the time didn't shoot Chewie, Rey or Finn? Only after Han died that everyone else got their sense back and start shooting each other?
5) How the heck Rey and Finn got to the forest from the facility so freaking fast? They're at the top of the facility and its freaking high. I remember the countdown before the big laser shot fired only left 2 minutes or a few seconds . Did they teleport or something?

I think there's probably more but I can looks past them, only this one here that bugs me to death. I'm sure when CinemaSins sinned this movie, one or two points here will come up in their vids. Feel free to give your opinions or excuse for these but if I find it irrelevant I will dispute it. laugh.gif

PS: I love the look on Han's face when chased by the Rathar. Mann, that is one really terrified look right there. Its 'I-don't-care-if-I'm-a-cool-character-or-what-but-I-really-scared-shit' face. Hahha laugh.gif
the beauty of not explaining everything is you are free to come out with your own explanation smile.gif

1. I guess his emotion got the better of him after Max von Sydow kept on bringing up his family in the chat (Kylo: you know what I come for, Max: I know where you came FROM)
2. Maybe its a newer version of bowcaster? But i guess the point they were trying to convey was to demonstrate how powerful the bowcaster is to justify the extent of injury Kylo suffered from later on
3. Its just movie cliche i supposed, all those lets fight on equal footing just to show that i am better than you stuff
4. Agreed, this is a kinda weird part, but the main thing during this sequence was the Han/Ben confrontation leading up to Han's death, so i could let that slide lol
5. I never paid attention to the "countdown" in movies because I knew they won't follow the exact timing any way, in this movie, when the weapon had 10 more minutes to go, Han and Chewie had not even reach the reactor room yet, but after all the confrontation until Rey/Finn escaped to the forest it has 2 minutes left, so there you go

This post has been edited by dlct87: Jan 16 2016, 01:03 PM
dlct87
post Jan 16 2016, 11:33 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(lord_aminkin @ Jan 16 2016, 05:39 PM)
1) Okay, make sense. I seems to forgot that he is super temperamental..haha~
2) I kinda understand that. But still I feel its unnecessary because I think how powerful was the bowcaster showed enough already during the battles when Han was using it. Those extra comments from him did provide some comic relief but at the same time to me it felt that he just met Chewie yesterday.
3) Yeah, movie cliche. Good one..LOL
4) I also can let that slide but still bugs me..haha~
5) Yeah, in a way I also kinda lean towards that. Those scene probably not straight fully in sequence with each other but still due to fast pacing of the movie I always end up questioning myself how the hell they end up there so fast..

don't take my word for it, that's just how I rationalized these elements for myself, you could come out with your own explanation and it would still be correct lol

regarding number 5, what made it even worse is that Kylo somehow managed to appear IN FRONT of Rey and Finn in that short amount of time, whether him taking short cut from the underground base or not it is just absurd (but this is already considered as nitpicking i supposed)
dlct87
post Dec 17 2016, 03:29 PM

Casual
474 posts

Just saw it, its not better than The Force Awakens imo, first half was a bit disjointed where it was jumping all over the locations, second half was much better with the war stuff

and that f**king title card (the big Rogue One on screen) had to be the WORST title card sequence in movie history sweat.gif
dlct87
post Dec 18 2016, 10:01 PM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(jimbet1337 @ Dec 18 2016, 08:03 PM)
how?
well....if you watched the movie you will know how haha
dlct87
post Apr 15 2017, 12:07 AM

Casual
474 posts

good god that poster....and THAT trailer...that's it, going dark on this until December, no more trailer, info digging, this is enough
dlct87
post Dec 19 2019, 08:43 AM

Casual
474 posts

This is what you get when there's no proper planning for what story you wanna tell across the trilogy

and

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0440sec    0.18    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:48 AM