Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Food Good food in Kepong, come help to list

views

Makakeke
post Oct 22 2008, 06:12 PM

Casual
310 posts

here is where I come in, haha.. I've lived in Kepong for close to 20 years now, close...

I remember when I was a kid, i use to visit wai sik kai ALOT. the mee jawa there, that was the bomb until about...i dunno 5-10 years ago? i dont know what happen to it, it's not there anymore but that was my fav mee jawa stall of all time. Wai sik kai still sells some pretty good food like the nasi lemak, lala, and chicken wings though but i hardly go there anymore.

Kepong indian rojak - ultimate bomb. I would say it's Kepong's best food.

In the morning Kepong market - there's the dim sum stall beside Bata, there's this nasi lemak stall (my family calls it Nora stall cz the lady's name is Nora, so...), the popiah!!! some say the Pudu market has the best popiah, NO! it's Kepong.

There's this nasi lemak stall and char kueh teow stall open in the evening beside 7-11 Kepong Baru. Wouldn't say they're great but i love them coz when i've got no food in the evening, i'll go for either 1 of em.

Bak Kut Teh - yea Ka Ka along Jln Kepong or Jerry's, the same row as 7-11 Kepong Baru.

Happy City Court - Fish Head and Nasi Lemak, undoubtably.

In the afternoons, where i usually go is this coffeeshop in Menjalara called double 1 (im sure many of you know). The best food there is the claypot chicken rice (i personally think it's the best in KL) and prawn mee. Pork noodles is so damn overrated there. But that coffeeshop is known for their drinks - go for their mix, they call it something like "Sin Lui San Fa" (coffee+tea) and "Kam Siong Tin Fa" (coffee+tea+something else). Best coffeeshop around Kepong.

For the spicy freaks, there's this secluded Thai restaurant in the old De Foodland location. Nearby the Giamax factory. Their tomyam is SUPERB i tell you. Don't order fish from there coz it's overpriced.

if you want to eat good roast duck, there's one restaurant, Kong Kee restaurant in the Kepong Baru market - only operates in the afternoon. in the evenings, there're alot along the same street as KTZ, but Onn Kee seems to be attracting the most customers.

For mamaks, Spicy Kitchen is the popular spot - their food is good - their maggi goreng and roti bakar telur cheese - ohmygodd! their maggi goreng is special coz they use a diff kind of noodles although it's called maggi goreng. their signature drink - milo shake - blended milo with 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream.

the best milo shake in Kepong is the mamak stall in Sri Sinar, where you can shake almost anything (except carbonated drinks of course). We call the place Shaker.

Also in maluri, the other side of the Tuck Kee shoplot, there's this Pan Mee stall that opens at night. Good stuff and good chilli.

There's also this place that sells Fried Lo Bak and Oyster at night in Kepong Baru, just opposite the street of where the indian rojak stall is located. Only operates at night. very good.

I just spent the last 20 minutes typing non-stop and it's making me miss Kepong so mucchh. There're places that has already been mentioned so i'll recommend from my list to make it easier:

Kepong indian rojak and the Thai restaurant.

Remember, we live to eat!

This post has been edited by Makakeke: Oct 22 2008, 06:15 PM
Makakeke
post Oct 22 2008, 08:04 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(elanakcl @ Oct 22 2008, 07:55 PM)
Kepong!!! It's my 4th year stayin here and next year i'm moving.(will definitely come back here 4 weekend makan tour)

I frequent this rest. Yuen Kee nearby Public Bank for dinner. Their charges is really reasonable and it taste good. Steamed talapia fish n vege plus rice n tea for 2 person only cost less than RM30. Their fish portion is good enough for 3 person.

Roast duck, I prefer Wing Heong it's just next to Onn Kee. their char siew is very nice n reasonable too. O.Kee is my 2nd choice.

Jln Ipoh have this delicious prawn noodle which many HK superstar been there too. It's just few shop away frm Caring pharmacy.

makakeke, where's Spicy Mamak??? somebody tell me plsss.......
There's 2 actually, there's one in menjalara and another one in hartamas. i frequent the one in menjalara and it's kinda hard to explain the location to you actually, i thought everyone should know, haha.. you know the uphill road to menjalara/desa park city from LDP? it's located inside the housing area on your left as you drive up.

to add to my previous post, One Noodle in Desa Park City is very good too. Their seafood noodle is fantastic, reminds me of Yu Ai.

Added on October 22, 2008, 8:13 pm
QUOTE(kikurazz @ Oct 22 2008, 07:08 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i personally think Double 1 standard has dropped since the 1st owner left (used to be his wife who makes all the drinks) - but no doubt it was good back then
i have lived in Kepong all my life until lately - I miss Kepong too blush.gif
i agree the standard has dropped a little, but it's still good, compared with other restaurants.

to add again, there's this restaurant in menjalara, the same row and in between Double 1 and the dim sum place, Eden I think. It operates on afternoons and evenings. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it's a 2 syllabus chinese restaurant with yellow signboard. their signature dish is the XO Loh Mee, it's just like sharks fin soup laugh.gif their other noodles are fantastic too, lots of unique noodles. their salted fish fried rice also very good. you guys should try out that place.

This post has been edited by Makakeke: Oct 22 2008, 08:18 PM
Makakeke
post Dec 14 2008, 05:21 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(andrekua @ Dec 14 2008, 10:14 AM)
This thread still going strong.

MCY satay quality already gone down la. That is a sad fact. Last time the boss DIY himself, really taste a lot better. Still taste better than many satay stall. There is one inside Jinjang, in Taman Beringin there, the satay is pretty good. The sauce is not as good as MCY but the satay make up for it.

Many things I eat until sienzzz liao. Now whenever go out, also prefer to eat near near or go far far out.

Places that I still go to eat...

1. 555 - ex boss of double-1. The curry mee, zhu yok fan, fried mee, and nasi lemak is ok. Best of all, not as hot as double-1. No need wait as well. Lots of parking.

2. Fu Lai - best bao in Kepong. Tim Sum still ok, better than it was first here.

3. 999 - located in Aman Puri. Loves the chicken rice, zhu yok fan and the penang curry laksa. The opposite How Fook got one fried mee very nice.

4. Nasi lemak in KIP.

5. Wan Tan Mee in Kepong Indah.

6. The Prince Cafe

7. KTZ (very seldom go liao)

BTW, have you guys tried the Pan Mee in Jinjang Utara? Used to be located next to RHB but had move over to the shop lot opposite of the field. My uncle open one. Used to had to wait 1hr at peak time but now wife also help cooking, at most 30mins wait.
where is 555?
Makakeke
post Jan 14 2009, 04:05 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(laichong @ Jan 14 2009, 11:38 AM)
光記 Duck Rice - Kepong Baru (Behind 7-11) this 1 is superb, juicy meat and fat (kekeke), especially the drum stick~! they'd got char siu and siu yuk, vege and fried egg as well...

D' Fortune Restaurant - Menjalara, shoplot opposite Mobil Station. western style food, my fav is their Lamb Cutlet with spagetti. and b4 u r having your meal, u always have a luck on picking the Fortune Cookies.. biggrin.gif
That's where i usually get my duck rice, very good.
Makakeke
post Jan 31 2009, 06:00 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(shinobikit @ Jan 31 2009, 12:24 AM)
that's where i usually get my morning bkt thumbup.gif
Makakeke
post Feb 18 2009, 01:06 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(Klesk @ Feb 18 2009, 12:37 PM)
dunno if this is posted or not, just went back to this Thai restaurant at Aman Puri called "Chiang Rai Style", had not been there for ages, its opposite King's bakery shop. Had the best fried rice ever, its a Pineapple fried rice costing rm6 a plate. Basically its fragrant rice fried with cubes of pineapples, squids and garnished with chicken floss, yummy!...
also, when you're there, you have got to try their seafood hotplate taufoo and also their pandan chicken. Both are equally good. The taufoo is fried silky smooth and sauteed in this rich chily sauce mixed together with lalas, crabs and squids. While the pandan chicken costing rm5 for 4 pieces, is a mouth watery chunks of marinated chicken meat.
highly recommended. I reckon this restaurant is better than the Thai restaurant located opposite Giamax factory, just my 2 cents...
well, tbh the one opposite Giamax has the best tomyam I've tasted, other food aren't really that great. I must try the Aman Puri rest really soon then.
Makakeke
post Mar 2 2009, 06:57 PM

Casual
310 posts

I recently revisited this place that sells claypot porridge in Maluri, same row as the outdoor Tuck Kee. It serves very good porridge,and their Kung Po Frog, wah excellent.
Makakeke
post May 10 2009, 04:45 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(cy97 @ May 10 2009, 11:25 AM)
Its original shop is located at Amanpuri next to station 1. Should try their pasta super nice. The chef is french.
Their pasta is so-so only lah, but their pizza is nice.
Makakeke
post Jun 1 2009, 09:54 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(SkyNet000 @ Jun 1 2009, 08:50 PM)
Ummm just behind current MCY . ( last time known as Lai Jing , now change back to MCY )

Near mosque . You cant miss it , the sign is quite big tho .

Behind DESA BHP

Behind 711 Desa Jaya .

Added on June 1, 2009, 8:52 pm

hello ..... chandran mamak .... doh.gif

that place normal la dey ... ntg special ...

If vkeong go there , tell me , haha , my house is just at there , 5 minute walk tongue.gif
Ummm nothing special there actually .

Just lots of hot chix hanging out around 11PM to 2AM .
Agreed. Chandran's is just a normal mamak lah.
Makakeke
post Aug 18 2009, 05:43 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(redbubblegirl @ Aug 14 2009, 11:08 PM)
Hi Everyone...

Can have directions for this....if coming from Brem Mall direction....
Thanks!!!

5. Pasembor - Next to the crossroad opposite Caritas Church

16. Meng Kee Claypot Chicken Rice - Kepong Baru market, next to old Pavilion Cinema

18. Yip Kee Wantan Mee - Menjalara Business Square

29. Mee Jawa from the stall opposite the Rainbow car accessories place/rama clinic.
5. Go along Jalan Kepong. (Brem Mall on your left) you will go thru a series of traffic lights but keep going straight until you see Petronas and BHP on your left, that's when you should start keeping left. Only turn left on the turning when you see EON bank on your left. A tricky turning. Continue along the road, pass the first traffic light, go straight again until the second traffic lights and turn left. You will see durians stall on your left right after that. The pasembur stall is just there. My advice is to go on Sunday afternoons, that's about the only time he always open, the other days he suka suka open 1. From 2-5pm.

16. Follow the same directions as (5), but immediately turn right at the traffic lights after you turn left on the 2nd traffic lights. Once you turn right, turn left on your 2nd left turning/junction, go straight until you see a big space on your right, that's the old cinema, find a parking and go inside the space, you'll see some stalls there, the claypot is there. Night time.

18. There's a wikimapia few pages before if im not wrong.

29. Dunno where's that.

QUOTE(vkeong @ Aug 18 2009, 05:14 PM)
ooo tailangong's recommendation
I used to always go there on Christmas day, tradition with my friends. Not bad lah the place, wouldn't say it's damn nice.

QUOTE(tailangong @ Aug 18 2009, 01:24 PM)
Any nice vege restaurant/stall in Kepong to recommend?
Not sure, I don't eat in vege places. But there's one along wai sik kai that seems to have good business.

This post has been edited by Makakeke: Aug 18 2009, 05:46 PM
Makakeke
post Aug 18 2009, 06:02 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(buntutman @ Aug 18 2009, 05:46 PM)
brem mall is like ...... jinjang area. so kampung. i go wid my gf i oso dunno wat to eat around there other than the row behind brem mall at the stalls there. like house cum stalls oni
Jinjang used to be a gem, damn alot of good food last time. Now also lah actually, there's one seafood restaurant that is quite nice if you're interested. Drive further down to metro prima/menjalara/kepong baru la then, got more food.

Added on August 18, 2009, 6:03 pm
QUOTE(vkeong @ Aug 18 2009, 05:49 PM)
brem mall is quite the fail lo. i go there just for the BIG CINEMA nia. i watched my transfomer thar
Don't waste time watching movie there lah, limited movies and showtimes.

This post has been edited by Makakeke: Aug 18 2009, 06:08 PM
Makakeke
post Aug 18 2009, 06:08 PM

Casual
310 posts

BTW vkeong, Tak Fok's crabs is now Rm28 if im not wrong.

Also add the porridge stall that sells all kinds of claypot porridge and their famous Kung po Tin kai (frog's legs), same row as the outdoor Tuck Kee.

and the Thai restaurant at the old De Foodland, near the Giamax factories. Best tomyam in KL, you can't get one that is better and more affordable than this place.

Both places are damn awesome.

This post has been edited by Makakeke: Aug 18 2009, 06:08 PM
Makakeke
post Aug 23 2009, 12:53 AM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(WhiteMouse @ Aug 22 2009, 12:17 PM)
how to say...

kaka taste a bit more salty-ish...

but nippon soup BKT one also not THAT good la..

but you shud try their dry bkt which is a bit pedas... very nice... and ask them for extra tou fu pok in soup... that soup is nice.. clear and tasty...

i dunno why the tou fu pok soup and the BKT soup is different....

Added on August 22, 2009, 12:25 pm

that day after coming down from genting, my fren say go NINJA... i was like was is that...  blink.gif a restoran name or a mamak name.. and it's like 3am in the morning edi...

then when i reach there only i realise is the cyber cafe call ninja and the mamak just in front or nearby there...

my fren recommend me to eat the ayam goreng... very very nice... better then KFC ones.. haha.. ayam goreng can go with maggi goreng, nasi lemak or ONLY ayam goreng! yum yum...  drool.gif
Ninja nasi lemak ayam goreng is fantastic! totally forgotten about it.

QUOTE(steemeex @ Aug 22 2009, 06:48 PM)
kepong pappa rich is the bestest place to eated in kepong
oh please...

Makakeke
post Dec 4 2009, 12:16 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Dec 3 2009, 01:57 PM)
that day i wanted to try duck satay 3°12'58"N  101°37'45"E.

But it was pasarmalam night also. So pack of people. I end up can't find the place due to the pasar malam causing jam and all. Maybe the shop close on pasar malam night?

Added on December 3, 2009, 2:39 pm

where is this ninja cybercafe or ninja mamak? Please post location lah. If not people wouldn't know where it is.
Which part of Kepong you know and I can direct you there.
Makakeke
post Jun 17 2010, 09:40 AM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(jys @ Jun 15 2010, 02:25 PM)
I managed to find the mamak and yes, the roti bakar telur cheese is superb!!

for those who wish to know the directions... can click here....

http://jys-yummy.blogspot.com/2010/06/roti...oran-spicy.html
Nice place innit? My fav mamak and world cup spot.

Added on June 17, 2010, 9:41 am
QUOTE(Vinns^^ @ May 24 2010, 11:54 PM)
if u like to eat "har mee" (prawn mee),can hav a try at pusat kepong a kopitiam name "loong kee"..  it's really delicious with concentrated prawn taste : D the best in kepong!!
If you wanna try another good har mee, it's in Bandar Sri Damansara, coffeshop name Woh Kee.

QUOTE(samantha88 @ Jun 3 2010, 11:24 AM)
anyone knows where is the XO loh meen?
Do you know where is the new Tesco will be? Or the menjalara steamboat area? I can guide you from there.

This post has been edited by Makakeke: Jun 17 2010, 09:41 AM
Makakeke
post Jan 21 2011, 02:16 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jan 12 2011, 06:04 PM)
- nothing special. Nothing worth recommending.
- Kaka is okay but Jerry's is not nice. The fact that also at Jerry's, have to eat near a longkang that stinks...really spoil the appetite.
- so so only. Used to be very very good but now..not even worth recommending
- lousy suck and not tasty. Stay away
- milo shake? How hard is it to make. It comes from tin. All the mamak store I tried also taste the same.
I dunno...you need to start recommending food that are really good. Not the so-so type which can be found anywhere. Since you so familiar with food in Kepong, tell me which is the best Satay in Kepong? I have tasted nearly all and still can't find one that I good. If anyone is going to be a food blogger, need to have certain standard. Not just any food that can eat can be called good food. Don't just simply recommend something average only. People drive all the way there expecting it to be really good but end up disappointed. That is why I like thegutterfood blog. Even though they are using benglish, but most of what they say is spot on.
The best Satay that I have tasted recently is in Suzi's Corner Ampang.
I would like to see your recommendations then smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0164sec    0.82    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:14 PM